Star Wars themed lands announced for DL and DHS

I told my dd about Star Wars Land, etc. and that it might go where Toon Town is. Her response, "mom, don't worry, they can't get rid of toon town, that is where everyone lives, Mickey's, Minnie's, Goofy's, everyones house is in there. Where would they live?"

I don't care at all about Toon Town, but I don't care at all about Star Wars, either. I do like Big Thunder Ranch, so a little sad to see it go. I'm thinking maybe they'll do some really cool stuff for SW though, so I may become a fan. I love Star Tours, after all!

I really dislike toontown and find it incredibly tacky. I would like it better if it wasn't so "cartoony". I know silly but it seems so unlike Disney. If Walt wanted his place to look cartoony he would have done Fantasyland that way. I've been going to DL since 1962 and I'm still mad they took out the Monsanto house of the future. I don't handle change well. To me, toontown is new. As Elsa would say "Let it go".

If Toontown is new, what is old? Toontown has been there for 22 years...

If Toontown is new, what is old? Toontown has been there for 22 years...

It is a fairly new, young land in the bigger picture, seeing that Disneyland has been around for 60 years (and it's going to seem newer to people who have been going to DL since before TT was even a possibility). It is old when compared to, for example, Cars Land and Buena Vista Street. Tomorrowland is old. Fantasyland is old (even though it has been freshened up and revamped since its original incarnation). New Orleans Square is old. Frontierland is old. Toontown is not brand new, but it's not nearly as old as many of the other lands.

It is a fairly new, young land in the bigger picture, seeing that Disneyland has been around for 60 years (and it's going to seem newer to people who have been going to DL since before TT was even a possibility). It is old when compared to, for example, Cars Land and Buena Vista Street. Tomorrowland is old. Fantasyland is old (even though it has been freshened up and revamped since its original incarnation). New Orleans Square is old. Frontierland is old. Toontown is not brand new, but it's not nearly as old as many of the other lands.

Granted. I'm not arguing it's one of the oldest lands in the park, but by no means is it newer land either. Yes, one of the newer ones in the park, but not newer in the meaning of the term. I don't think anyone would call Splash Mountain a 'new' attraction, and it's only been around a few years longer than TT. I just think 'new' isn't a term we can associate with an area that has been in existence for more than 1/3 of the parks life, especially when an entire other theme park was constructed 10 years after TT opened across the plaza. TT was opened when the Blue Jays were last in the playoffs, as a Blue Jays fan, trust me, it's a long time lol :crazy:

So there has been an image making the rounds on Facebook that states that Big Thunder Ranch BBQ will close on January 11, 2016. There is no source given, but in the hundreds of comments some people claiming to be employees say that yes, they have been told that January 10 will be their last day there. I really really really hope this isn't true but I wouldn't be surprised if it is. :sad1: I crave that BBQ chicken all year long!

So there has been an image making the rounds on Facebook that states that Big Thunder Ranch BBQ will close on January 11, 2016. There is no source given, but in the hundreds of comments some people claiming to be employees say that yes, they have been told that January 10 will be their last day there. I really really really hope this isn't true but I wouldn't be surprised if it is. :sad1: I crave that BBQ chicken all year long!

I noticed it yesterday, on the Mouseforlife page. I mentioned it a few different threads so that people could be sure to make reservations before it closes. I am assuming it's true because the whole Festival Arena area is already winding down and coming to an end anyway. The BBQ would be the last thing to go in that area. I think that a lot of prep work has to happen in that location before any construction begins. It will be a long process, so they have to clear out the area and get started.

Sadly, you are correct. We just had lunch there yesterday and sadly ends up being our last. Both our server and the CM handling the goats at the Ranch confirmed their last day was January 10th. She said they had already found me homes for the goats (don't know about the other animals). She was very sad because she really loved her job. I forgot to ask her about whether they would relocate her for another position. She was so sad, I just let her talk. I'm very excited for the Star Wars Land, but I do love that area of the park too and will really miss it.

attachment.php

This map was posted on another forum by Lightofdarkness. According to what hints he gets from his sources, Star Wars would not be impinging on ToonTown, but TT will be changed. The red will go, the blue will be a new Mickey and Minnie meet and greet, the rest including Rodger Rabbit will stay.A new Be Our Guest type restaurant would go in somewhere in the red area.

Heres his quote: Quote: I've gotten to know a few backstage folks who are being moved around with all the Star Wars land prep, and they've been saying that the quote about Toon Town was VERY particular in its wording. Star Wars will not be replacing Toon Town. That statement does NOT mean that Toon Town is safe.

They're saying a Fantasyland expansion will be brought over to balance the crowds from Star Wars. Be Our Guest and Arrendale, Mickey and Minnie meet and greet will move and Roger will be the remaining element of Toon Town.

It's just backstage rumors, but what are you're odds on this? I'm giving it a 50/50 shot based off my sources... Unquote.

And here is his comment on the map .. Quote .:As for details, tight lipped. Based on the little they were willing to spill, here's what I pictured, and they won't tell me how close I am: Red is gone for the new fantasy features, blue will be the relocated Mickey MG, and the rest stays.......... Unquote.

IMHO a Be Our Guest type restaurant themed to Frozen would be a big crowd pleaser. Keeping RRCTS and M&M meet and greet would somewhat please TT fans.

Last edited:
Hmmm...PP has a valid argument. Disney is very hush-hush if any other attractions/lands will be affected by Star Wars. Perhaps this ToonTown Reorganization is just that, a reimagining of an existing land. Star Wars is not replacing ToonTown, but it may force it to change its footprint.

This could explain why all Toontown attractions are showing as "unavailable" beginning 9/13 and continuing forward.

Where does it show ToonTown Attractions unavailable after 9/13? I cant find it on Disney web site

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/attractions/

I don't know if this link will show it, but you go to the attractions page and select the date. Then scroll all the way to the bottom and you will see the Toontown attractions listed under the "unavailable" section.

That does not mean ANYTHING. It only means that they just don't have operating schedules to post for them yet for that period. That's all.

I saw the post on MiceChat yesterday. Here is the thread -- http://micechat.com/forums/disneyla...-town-isnt-safe-just-wont-star-wars-land.html.

Everything is just a rumor/and or speculation right now, but I would not be shocked or surprised if 3/4 of Toontown gets lopped off and turned into something else. That's what I was expecting, and Disneyland Today's statement on Twittter about it did not convince me otherwise! :lmao:

You know darn well that that is just another one of their many big fat lies that they enjoy fabricating. It has happened before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter