Star Tours - will this plan work??

Discussion in 'Disneyland (California)' started by nicleigh84, Mar 25, 2013.

1. nicleigh84

nicleigh84 Mouseketeer

Star Tours is my son's #1 must ride. I had planned for us to do the most popular rides in Fantasyland first (Peter, Dumbo, Mr Toad, Alice, Tea Cups, Small World) and then go over to Star Tours. Is this an ok strategy? He would probably vote to skip all of FL and go straight to Star Tours but I want to make sure we get those rides in at least once. Or should I forget what my "planning brain" is telling me to do and make him happy by starting off our day with Star Tours?
    Any advice is welcome!! Thanks!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. coaches24

coaches24 DIS Veteran

Yes I would do FL first because they don't have FP. You can get FP for star tours if there is a long line so it's not as important to get that done early.

4. starshine514

starshine514 DIS Veteran

Would he go for grabbing a FP for ST, hitting FL and then going back to ST during the FP return time?

5. Patrick in Oregon

Patrick in Oregon <font color=purple>If you're going to be a goofbal

I would do Fantasyland first. I would bet that when you were done with FL, Star Tours would be a 20 minute wait, which is easy. I would get a FP for Space Mountain if that is in your plans for the day, then wait in line for ST. If no SM, then get a ST FP, then wait in line, so you can go on it again since it is his favorite ride. I haven't seen a long standby line for ST in some time.

6. mamaCta

mamaCta DIS Veteran

This is what I would do.

7. nicleigh84

nicleigh84 Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the responses!
    Getting FP for Star Tours and then hitting FL is a great idea! Thanks! I think maybe even I will veer off to grab the FP and let the rest of the group make their way to Fantasyland. I should be able to catch up with them. If not should I send them to Dumbo or Peter Pan first?

8. Patrick in Oregon

Patrick in Oregon <font color=purple>If you're going to be a goofbal

9. sweethannah

sweethannah Rebel Spy, 3 times in a row!

Is this during a MM or a regular Park day, midweek or weekend?
    Also, if I may ask how old is your son? We had some of the best ST experiences shortly before close on a Sunday night.

During the week, early in the AM we were able to ride ST back to back with less than a 10 minute wait because we went straight there and not FL.

For reference though, we were there late September, into October. If your schedule permits I would do TL as a priority on a regular Park admission day when most people head to FL, just be there early. If it's his most favouritest ride then do it before FL and focus on FL on a MM day.

ST was a priority for us because the first time we went ST was doing it's big refurb and was open for staff only. ;)

10. bumbershoot

bumbershoot DIS Veteran

How old is your son? How long is your visit? Has he been there before?

I have to tell you, going past Star Tours to get a FP and then LEAVING that area can be frustrating for even the most experienced Disney child.

I'm assuming this is NOT during a MM day because as far as I know they don't have FP machines on during MM.

If you'll be there more than one day where you can be among the first in the park, I would hit Tomorrowland (and Star Tours) first (and second ad third and fourth LOL) one day, and Fantasyland first another. It can be HARD for a child to enjoy one thing when all they can think of is another, and depending on his personality, FL could be a big black cloud of ick in his mind, if all he wants is Star Tours.

11. tdhickey

tdhickey DIS Veteran

You are much better off hitting Peter Pan first thing in the AM, the line for that ride later will be longer than the line for Star Tours all day. It is also a good way to build up to Star Tours. I know kids though, sometimes they will whine the whole time until they get what they want, so I think it depends on your kid.

I would start with Pan and then head over to Star Tours if he can't take the wait. Getting a Star Tours FP first thing is a waste, you might as well just get on the ride and then go on Space Mountain next. The waits for those in the AM are nothing.

12. nicleigh84

nicleigh84 Mouseketeer

This day will be a Tuesday, MM for us. We are going mid June. It will be our only morning in DL although we will be there the next afternoon/evening. This is our first trip to Disneyland. We went to Disneyworld in Nov 2011 where Star Tours started the biggest Star Wars obsession I have ever seen. :) My son will be 6 on this trip. We also have a 4 year old and a 1 year-old daughter who will love everything in FL.

So the fact that our day will be our MM, does that change anything?

13. nicleigh84

nicleigh84 Mouseketeer

Thank you for this perspective. I would hate for him to miss out on fun because all he can think of is his beloved Star Tours. Definitely something to consider.

14. nicleigh84

nicleigh84 Mouseketeer

He is actually a very patient child so I don't think he will be bothered to wait. He will understand about trying to plan with the least amount of waiting possible. I guess I just want to figure the best plan to make sure we get multiple rides on ST.

15. DisneyJamieCA

DisneyJamieCA DIS Veteran

I would go to FL first (starting with PP) during your MM. When the parks have officially opened, I would get FP for ST. If the standby line isn't too bad, get in line then, also asking for the rider swap pass. Then the other parent can take him back on. Or do the same with the FPs if you don't do standby. If you do the combo of FP, Rider Swap & standby, he could go 3 times.

16. SMD

SMD DIS Veteran

I did AP early entry yesterday in DL. At 8:05 there was a mass of people going towards Space Mountain. FP return time for Star Tours was 8:40 - 9:40 am. We got in line behind 4 families. 3 families had kids who needed their height checked. After that we walked through the entire queue and straight to be sorted into a row for the ride. Of course on a regular EE day there will be more people in the park before it opens, but even if you have to wait 10-15 minutes for Star Tours I think that a 6 year old will really love the queue. Use the FP for a second ride if you think he'll want to go on it multiple times.

17. bumbershoot

bumbershoot DIS Veteran

By the way, I wasn't assuming that he would whine about it...just that it would be in his mind. Since my son is an only and we talk about things all the time, I've found that sometimes I think one thing is going on with him, and find out later that he was having very different thoughts. And he remembers things much differently than what I feel was reality sometimes. :)

I think that changes it more than it being MM. If that is the only morning AND since you have two younger children, then FL is probably good to do first.

Now...once of the longer (but not loud thank goodness) meltdowns of DS's Disneyland-ride life has been in the queue for Peter Pan. He had been on it before and liked the RIDE, but the queue, even though it's partially outside and even when under a roof is still open to the outside, can FEEL dark. It can FEEL scary to a child. Especially, in our case, when said child is hungry but not telling anyone about it and when the whole family is tired. (he was late 3 or 4ish, by the way)

Doing PP first is essential for line-purposes. But if any of the kids are skittish or worried or concerned or have a dislike of darker areas with skinny lines and lots of people, PP can also be difficult.

I'm a weirdo and often suggest hitting DCA's bug's land for the first rides for first-timers with little bitty kids. Everything is out in the open and almost totally visible, so kids can see *that's the line and THAT is the payoff for the line*. Not "and now we're entering this group of people and I don't know why". :)

Those are just my perspectives to give you a broader view of, well, my perspectives if you wished to know. :)

Now that I know he's the oldest, I'm sure he understands that every kid in the family gets to have fun experiences too. And I think that especially if you go over what the plan is with him, letting him know what's going on, it'll be great!

18. nicleigh84

nicleigh84 Mouseketeer

Thank you, I didn't think about Rider Swap! :thumbsup2

Ok, anyone care to tell me how this plan sounds? Is this realistic? I am up for any changes!

Peter Pan
    Dumbo
    Mr Toad
    Alice
    Tea Party
    Small World
    Carrousel

Star Tours (stand by and get FP)
    Star Tours (with Rider Swap)
    Pirates
    Haunted Mansion
    Pooh
    Lunch at Hungry Bear Restaurant

Will we be able to complete all this in order to be able to have lunch around 11:30/12? It will be a Magic Morning in mid June. The park hours aren't posted yet but I guessing we will be able to get in the park by 8am? :confused3

19. nicleigh84

nicleigh84 Mouseketeer

Thank you!! This is great advice! We are actually starting off our Disney vaca with DCA on that Monday so I will be sure to give the girls the Bug's Land experience early on!

20. DisneyJamieCA

DisneyJamieCA DIS Veteran

Deleted because I answered my own question. Sorry.

21. luulu1999

luulu1999 DIS Veteran

I def would do FL on MM we went over Christmas and there was NO wait on PP or any of the other ride for MM and Buzz Lightyear and ST had no wait either!!