SSR Or Resale OKW?

Discussion in 'Purchasing DVC' started by mbrowninc, Jan 6, 2007.

1. mbrowninc

mbrowninc Mouseketeer

My husband and I are sitting here looking at a contract for OKW but still worried about it. Do you think OKW will pass at $78 per point or should I go F&F promo?

I have made myself sick about what to do. We definitely want to buy but should we take OKW for cheaper & also with banked 05 & 06 points? Or take the sure thing with SSR?

:confused3 :confused3 :confused3 :confused3 :confused3 :confused3

Thanks,
    Melanie & Vernon

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Official Ticket Center is Orlando’s #1 discount attraction ticket agency, selling millions of Walt Disney tickets around the world.

to hide this adverts.
  3. jekjones1558

jekjones1558 Always happy at Disney

The extra 12 years at SSR may or may not be important to you. We love OKW and wanted the 11 month window for booking a grand villa once in a while, so we bought a contract there. Since both resorts are large you would have a good chance of getting into either one at 7 months, except maybe grand villas. If you don't think a grand villa is that important to you or if you would rarely book at 11 months, then buy the resort that would be the best deal. I think that $78 would be on the border for passing at OKW, but your resale agent probably has the best sense about what you should offer. Good luck!

4. dianeschlicht

dianeschlicht <font color=blue>DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Hon

I agree that it could be on the cusp for passing. Especially with all those banked points. If you are over 35, the extra years may or may not be important to you....especially if you are over 50. If you are in your 20's, my advice is to go with SSR for the extra years.

We LOVE OKW, and while we thought SSR was nice, it just doesn't have the townhome feel OKW has.

5. LisaS

LisaS DIS Veteran

What is the size of the contract? A 190-point OKW contract passed last month at $78. If you're buying a contract around that size, I think $78 will just make it through, but $77 or less will not. On the other hand, if it's a small contract (50 points or so) then you probably need to pay $87-$88/pt.

I assume you have reviewed the latest ROFR info here on the DIS? If not, here is a link to the thread. Latest listing is near the end of the thread (post #2971, last time I looked). http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=720134&page=199

Your broker should be able to advise you on the price you need to pay to pass ROFR. In my opinion, it's not that hard to pass ROFR. The people who have trouble are generally those who:

1) are compelled to haggle on the price with the seller which then backfires because the deal won't pass ROFR, or

2) don't want to pay a penny more than they have to so they find the lowest-priced contract that passed in the last 6 months and offer the same price.

If you have a contract with banked points then it's worth paying a bit more as "ROFR insurance". I think $78/pt will probably pass but if you want to improve your chances, offer $79/pt. If it's a 200-pt contract, the extra $200 is a drop in the bucket over the lifetime of your ownership. You could even try offering more per point in exchange for the seller paying half the closing costs. The deal would work out the same cost-wise but it may improve your chances of passing.

Good luck!

6. mbrowninc

mbrowninc Mouseketeer

I did not haggle I offered what it was listed for. The contract is 150 pts. with 108 from 05 & all of 06. Do you think that will pass?

I did look at the lastest stats and thought it might pass but not sure.

Melanie

7. LisaS

LisaS DIS Veteran

An OKW contract passed at $78/pt just three weeks ago so your chances are good. That is a good contract with all the '06 points and 108 banked from '05!

8. bluslag

bluslag Mouseketeer

I think you have a good chance of passing. If your not in a hurry give it a try. Then if it doesn't you can go for SSR. We bought at OKW 2 year ago because the extra years don't really madder to us. I guess for resale later down the years it may mean a difference. Go with your gut.

9. calypso*a*go-go

calypso*a*go-go <a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ

Of course, it will have an even better chance of passing if you are paying the closing costs and maintenance fees ('07 and maybe even 1/2 of '06).