SSR or AKL?

Sencybil

SSR again October 2016....
What would you do? Considering a return to WDW in Autumn 2016. Originally thought we’d do one big bells-and-whistles trip on site, and then any future visits would be dollar counting offsite, but the lure of free dining is drawing me in. We got great value out of our dining plan in 2013 (although we spent a lot on top as well), so I’m looking at all the options.
Default would be to go back to SSR. However we could also stay at AKL for very slightly more (about £180 more over 10 nights). This would be in the lowest category, view of the car park, room though. Would love to hear your thoughts.

(Am hoping the DTD construction will be done by the time we go so that shouldn’t figure in our decision).

Am also considering CSR with QS plan and maybe paying for 1 or 2 TS meals, but I think that's unlikely to be the option I go for....as I've just made a list of the TS places I want to eat, and there's loads of them!!

I haven't stayed at either, but we would absolutely love to stay at AKL, but unfortunately it was out of our budget (this time8-))

We are now considering either a return to POFQ, or making a £400 saving by staying at CSR. The saving is pulling us massively towards CSR and it looks like a beautiful resort!

For my dates, upgrading CSR QS plan to standard DP brings the cost to virtually the same as SSR - so it doesn't make sense if we want DDP - but yes, it does look nice, pool looks great, and I really like the room decor.

I think I'm attracted to AKL because I thought it was out of our £ range, but as a proportion of the total cost the difference to SSR is quite small. Not sure how much the carpark view would detract from the experience though! We ate at Jiko, Boma and Sanaa on our last trip and I'd happily go back to any of them - but then DTD is attractive too......sigh...first world problems!

Sxx

Decisions Decisions !!!!!!!!

We picked SSR as we weere three adults and we had a lot of meals at DTD, usually followed by a few beers in the Lava Lounge. Being able to walk back rather than bus it back to a hotel swung it for us.

Tony

We stayed in a standard room at AKL with a view of the front of the hotel. It was fine. Plenty of places to view animals and while a Savannah view would obviously have been very cool, I don't think it would have been an extra 1k cool TBH. It's a beautiful hotel with a pretty good quick service place for a deluxe and great on site restaurants. The buses were the best of any resort I have ever stayed at. The grounds are lovely. I'd choose AKL over SSR unless you need the extra space of a one bed villa.

I've stayed at both places.
I LOVE them both for very different reasons, when we stay at Ssr we have a two bed villa, we really enjoy the space, the grounds and the pools are a firm favourite with our boys.

However Akl is a whole different ball game, the place literally is amazing! The lobby has such an impact you truly feel your not at disney at all, but in Africa.
The pool has a tropical feel,as it's surrounded by plants, the animal views are magical,
We did a 3wk trip and paid for a standard view room,however both the rooms we booked was upgraded to savannah view! On the walk to our room,we passed many huge viewing areas,and floor to ceiling windows where you can view the animals, so there is no huge down side to not paying for savannah views.
Even though we loved the view from the upgraded room, we truly only spent at most 20 mins a day looking out on the balcony.
The rrestaurants at Akl also are a huge draw for me, Ssr although has a nice QS place I feel the food options are lacking.

Hope this helps

We love both in fact AKV is our DVC home. SSR is beautiful, great location for DTD and also for dining at other resorts as you can take the bus from DTD. We love the pool and being on the Golf Course. Buses aren't great but we always have a car so don't care. Food at SSr isn't great but plenty of options local both on and offsite easy if you have a car. Also a great location for anything offsite you want to do.

AKL is beautiful and the animals are great, dining choices are far superior and you have blizzard beach, the mini golf and MD's nearby. However as an AKV owner we feel the benefit of AKL is the Savannah view rooms so if you are not booking one of those i'd personally go for SSR.

We stayed in AKL with a car park view and for £180 extra it's worth it in my opinion. As another posted alluded to if your more after night life Dtd is a big draw. I loved evenings at akl eating at Jiko and a beer by the fire but it's more laid back. Very nice pool too

We did ask at reception about getting a better view and after a couple of days we were moved free of charge to a partial savannah view and it was amazing so always worth asking.

Sure you ll have a great time at either!

I love them both, stayed 3times for whole holiday at ssr and loved it. However, last year we added a 5 night stay at AKL, standard view, it was fantastic.
Our room was just above the check in desk, we had a view but had to stand on a chair to see above a wall that was on the roof below us. Viewing areas are good, I wouldn't pay extra for a savannah view.

Thanks everyone! Though I have to say you haven't made it any easier! Going to do a thorough comparison of onsite vs offsite and where we would eat under both scenarios, and then mull a bit more.

Sencybil x

AKL! The hotel is beautiful. We stayed here a few years ago and I'd go back in an instant. The restaurants are amazing, the decor is fabulous and the pool is one of my favourites in the whole of WDW. We were a little worried about the distance from other parks and resorts but the bus service was fantastic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts