SSR & OKW - Arrests made after Burglarizing Rooms

Live and learn. This has not happened to us but I have been absent-minded enough to forget on occasion to lock the sliding doors before leaving. Disney World always creates too much of a sense that everything is safe and one needs reminders like this to remember that complete safety likely does not exist anywhere.

THANKS for posting. :goodvibes A good reminder for all, especially those with first floor sliders to properly lock doors and secure valuables!:scared1:::yes::

Interesting. Agree with drusba that it is easy for lots of folks to get lulled into an overly secure feeling while at WDW. I do consider it quite safe, but never entirely of course.

What I wonder is if they accessed the resorts on foot? Because if they came by car, their photo I.D.'s would have had to have been checked and no doubt there were photos of their license plates coming through the guard gates. Just wonderin'……. Glad they caught these creeps.

What I wonder is if they accessed the resorts on foot? Because if they came by car, their photo I.D.'s would have had to have been checked and no doubt there were photos of their license plates coming through the guard gates. Just wonderin'……. Glad they caught these creeps.

SSR is easily accessed on foot by parking at Disney Springs. By parking there they can also walk or take a ferry boat to OKW. No one checks IDs or MBs. OKW surprises me a bit as all the patios have a railing people would have to hop over to get to the sliders. Still not hard to do. I'm glad they caught these dirtbags.

This is the main reason I always ask for an upper floor and we still keep the sliders locked. Can't be too careful.

Precisely what I was thinking. What they were stealing were of course smaller items so they wouldn't really need a car. Agree that OKW would take a tad more effort.

It's a good idea to check any doors to the exterior when you move in. I have found them unlocked more than once upon arrival.

And I wonder how many of those robbed immediately blamed housekeeping. I am amazed at how many people leave their room unsecured. They take showers and go to bed and don't even put the deadbolt and latch on the main door.

It's a good idea to check any doors to the exterior when you move in. I have found them unlocked more than once upon arrival.
I have occasionally found the connecting door between the studio and 1BR of a 2BR lockoff unlocked when we checked in to our side of the 2BR so be sure to check that too.

too many people let their guard down at wdw.
check your doors and make sure they are locked.
be careful leaving items pools side unattended.
also lots of car get broken into at wdw hotels and parking lots.

Any chance they had inside help?

From the article: A Disney security investigator called authorities after he saw a man and a woman looking into several rooms and tugging on the sliding doors. He said the woman acted as a lookout.

If they had inside help why would they do that, they would know which rooms were open.

We always check that our room is secure and make full use of the safe. It is great that we have found a larger safe in some of the DVC room, but it would be great to know this in advance. Kidani village studio (lock off) had a large safe and could hold all of our documents and other valuables.
Other times we have had a wall safe and there is very little room for all the gadgets taken with us!

We also do not leave any items on display and try to keep our room tidy and the sides clear of anything tempting!

I have often found that the patio doors are not correctly locked when we have checked in and most have a double lock so ensure that you have used this as well.

Finally make use of the security chain and double lock on the door whilst you sleep.

I also agree with other posts suggesting Saratoga being an easier target due to it being open access from other general public areas. Other resorts are likely to be safer but still worth being careful.

From the article: A Disney security investigator called authorities after he saw a man and a woman looking into several rooms and tugging on the sliding doors. He said the woman acted as a lookout.

If they had inside help why would they do that, they would know which rooms were open.
Not necessarily. They could have inside help without direct communication. A housekeeper could unlock the sliding door on rooms where they spot valuables.

Not necessarily. They could have inside help without direct communication. A housekeeper could unlock the sliding door on rooms where they spot valuables.

Well if they did that and still made the two on the outside, randomly test doors to see what is open, they are not very organized. If someone was going to go to the risk of helping, texting them the numbers of the rooms would be the most efficient way of using the insider.

I personally don't think they had any help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!