SSR blows OKW out of the water

No--just more "hotel like" than OKW. There I'm out my front door, and there is my car.
At Saratoga, out my door into a corridor, then an elevator down to a small lobby, out to a parking lot.
"More hotel like"
OKW is more "apartment like". Which is what I like.

Well I guess you didn't get to stay in my room last December. In the middle of the building, ground floor and about 20-30 feet from my van. I know because I was busy hauling my bags bag and forth between the two.

I had just come from Marriott's Cypress Harbour (very OKW style) and was down the hall on the 4th floor. That was a real pain hauling bags down the elevator. No carts available because of horders. SSR was a relative dream.

Nothing like your room at all. We were on the top floor of the Paddock. Where the was a corridor, an elevator, a small lobby.
NOT a hotel--just more hotel like than OKW!!
Where there is no corridor, no elevator, and no lobby.

I love them all from the All Star to the Polynesian. For the most part people bought where they did because that is what was selling when they bought into DVC. It is all our properties if we are DVC owners with the exception of a few months when we can make ressies. We are all in this together. I just put a contract down on SSR and can't wait to try and visit all of them if possible, but if I stayed everytime at the same resort I would be happy to just be there. Bottom line! We should and I know most do, just be happy for all of us. I mean we get to go to Disney every year with our families. What else can you ask for in life?

Have a Great Day!

What is the point of these resort bashing threads? Why would someone bring it back from the dead? It looks like someone is trying to cause trouble. I hope the moderators put this one to bed!

I don't know why anyone would bash anyone else. I think all the resorts are awesome. It is a shame that we are all in the same club and have to feel like putting others down. I am planning a trip right now and can't wait to stay at any resort. I hope no one thought I was bringing it back up. I was hoping to show people that we are all in it to have fun and make great lifetime memories wherever we stay.

Have a great day.

And make no mistake--I'm not bashing SSR at all. In fact, I liked it there a lot!!
Just like OKW more, is all.

Ok, I'll add my opinion after my May 19 - 23rd trip!

This will be our first stay at OKW!

It will also be a first trip for my DF DD! It's a surprise 18th Birthday Present!

Love My DVC!

I just made all the arrangements this morning!

j

OKW--the feel of a real apartment. Just park your car, walk to your front door and you are home!!
SSR has those corridors and elevators, making it more "hotel" like.

"Hotel"-like, no SSR certainly isn't that. BWV, VWL, and BCV are hotel-like, which I don't think is a bad thing, in fact I usually prefer it.

SSR is "motel"-like, you know, like the All-Stars or Port Orleans, huge and sprawling with exterior corridors. Actually, I think the comparison to apartments is most appropriate, and not what I think of for a vacation.

When I want a slower vacation from the BWV/BCV/VWL trips, I will pick OKW every day and twice on Sundays. OKW may be "large" resort, but it has an intimacy and charm that SSR does not have, and I doubt ever will.

And I guess therein lies my problem with SSR, when I want an active trip, I stay at BWV/BCV/VWL because when you get down to it, WDW is about the parks. If I want a slower vacation, OKW is the most relaxing due to its location, room size, style, relative intimacy and ambiance. SSR does not feel relaxing due to its overwhelming size (in everyway but room size), smaller rooms, location, and lack of intimacy; but does not fit my active trip requirements either because the only thing it provides easy access to DTD which is at the bottom of my list of WDW activities.

AKV is a bit of an enigma here because it incorporates aspects of all the DVC resorts to date, good and bad (depending on you preferences, of course). Its going to be large, but more hotel-like. It may not have direct park access, but the 3-minute bus to AK is as easy as any boat or walking. I think the large variety of room types and points will be one of it's major advantages, and will have the "exotic" feel that none of the other DVC resorts have (except maybe VWL).

SSR is "motel"-like, you know, like the All-Stars or Port Orleans, huge and sprawling with exterior corridors. Actually, I think the comparison to apartments is most appropriate, and not what I think of for a vacation.

But... but... but... being a motel they leave the light on for you. What's not to like about that? ;)

but does not fit my active trip requirements either because the only thing it provides easy access to DTD which is at the bottom of my list of WDW activities.

That's the crux of any resort war really. A resort offers proximity to something you either like or dislike.

It can be tedious though fun to have the debates. After all, we're just dissing each other's fetishes.

NOT a hotel--just more hotel like than OKW!!
Where there is no corridor, no elevator, and no lobby.

Well SSR doesn't have lobbies either, but the elevator is a big letdown to me and any other wheelie. I'm stuck staying in a ground floor unit or 4 buildings and only one of the grand villas.

It can be tedious though fun to have the debates. After all, we're just dissing each other's fetishes.

That's the funny thing about tedium, by definition you should get bored by it, but when it comes to the resort vs. resort subject, it keeps drawing people in. But you’re right, the only thing we are arguing here are personal preferences. I’m just surprised there are so many people with bad taste......;)

No, but really, SSR is fine, not my cup of tea, but it appeals to a lot of people and is a nice place. It just doesn’t give me what I want from a WDW vacation. To keep on topic, I just personally disagree with the OP that SSR>OKW. I much prefer the latter.

U Conn Jack is just upset that U Conn isn't in the NCAA Tourney and Central Conn is. He has to voice his frustration at someone.

Just Kiddin U conn. I will be thinking of all the SSR haters in 2043!

Have a Great Day!

U Conn Jack is just upset that U Conn isn't in the NCAA Tourney and Central Conn is. He has to voice his frustration at someone.

Just Kiddin U conn. I will be thinking of all the SSR haters in 2043!

Have a Great Day!

Maybe I am a women's basketball fan and don't care about the men's team. Nah, yeah I'm disappointed.

(no offense to women's bball)

Realizing this is an old thread...... I wasn't posting then so I'll add my 2 cents. I agree with Unconn...... well not about the Huskies.... we've seen enough of them and Syracuse for that matter...... good riddance!!! Maybe that drunken gambler Calhoun will be fired.

SSR just doesn't have that feel I look for at WDW. Can't put my finger on it... maybe it is the size or the apartment complex feel, I'm not sure. OKW has always beeen my choice for a quiet oasis from the parks. SSR is last on my list at this point.

Jay

That's the funny thing about tedium, by definition you should get bored by it, but when it comes to the resort vs. resort subject, it keeps drawing people in. But you’re right, the only thing we are arguing here are personal preferences. I’m just surprised there are so many people with bad taste......;)

You're telling me. Why someone would want to walk a mile from car to room or lug all your luggage up flights of stairs is beyond me. Or how they can just go gaga for dark wood and leather room decor, and pay more for the privilege... Scary.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, hating a resort and saying so is not resort bashing. And that' true even if one thinks a resort is lower than motel 6.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter