SSR blows OKW out of the water

dallastxcpa said:
Well, I hate all studios no matter where they are. :lmao: Not that I don't use them, but I would much rather be in a one bedroom. I just can't justify two people in a one bedroom.

Hate is a very strong word. The studios at OKW are very large and my wife and I stay in one all the time. Shoot, being married for 34 years you learn to live with a person. I guess we all would love to stay in a large room each trip but staying in the studio fits are needs just fine and allows us to use less points for extra trips. We have saved and banks enough for a family trip in a two bedroom this May with our son and his family and enough left over for the Members cruise this year. This would not have been possible without using our points wisely to save them....smjj

OK. So after all that only one person had a fact that I missed. The rooms are larger at OKW a definate plus. other than that it is a resort in the middle of no where. I agree people are entitled to there own opinion. Everytime I call, there are two resorts available, OKW and SSR. The only difference is that OKW is done, it is not getting better. SSR will grow, with more restaurants and DTD will grow as well.

By the way all of the DVC resorts are wonderful. I think it is fun to compare and have favorite resorts. These boards are famous for putting down the newest resorts. It was BWV, then BCV and nor SSR (strange, I own at all of these). Soon will be the Contemporary.

Don't take it to heart, just tell me what I am missing at OKW that makes it soooo much better than SSR. I love you guys

Tigger031266 said:
OK. So after all that only one person had a fact that I missed. The rooms are larger at OKW a definate plus. other than that it is a resort in the middle of no where. I agree people are entitled to there own opinion. Everytime I call, there are two resorts available, OKW and SSR. The only difference is that OKW is done, it is not getting better. SSR will grow, with more restaurants and DTD will grow as well.

By the way all of the DVC resorts are wonderful. I think it is fun to compare and have favorite resorts. These boards are famous for putting down the newest resorts. It was BWV, then BCV and nor SSR (strange, I own at all of these). Soon will be the Contemporary.

Don't take it to heart, just tell me what I am missing at OKW that makes it soooo much better than SSR. I love you guys
Actually, I see SSR getting worse as it grows, not better, just my opinion. Still, we are talking minor differences and personal preference for the most part. But back to the lower points, it's not just lower points but LOWER points. We're talking 25-30% difference for a week for a GV and essentially a 50% difference for weeknights.

"Waitress, I need two more boat drinks".....OKW seems the perfect place for the Buffett lover in me.

:cloud9:

sorry.. i just got back about a week ago and I'm really missing my verandah time.

Of course, personally, I have no issue or care what resort is your favorite. I just need my boat drink!!!!!!! I gotta go where it's WARM!

(i haven't seen JB in 15 years, but boy, that still sticks with me!)

We love OKW, we haven't stayed at SSR yet, but I can't imagine that if and when we do our opinion of OKW will change.

On our first trip to DVC this past Sept. we sure felt like OKW had the "Disney Magic" we were looking for. I have been on 25+ Disney trips, mostly to Poly and moderates, and we LOVED OKW. We were blown away with our 2BR villa and the great, relaxed feel and tropical atmosphere. When we were deciding where to buy, I realized after spending some time on these boards that the only way we could decide was to visit each of them, which is what we did.

I'm with the OP on this one. I have stayed at all the DVC resorts and SSR is most definitely my entire familys favorite. You are so close to many many cool things...restaurants...Downtown Disney. The bus service was the best I've ever had at any Disney stay, the staff were great...the pool awesome..etc. I could go on and on..but I'll stop.

As they say, different strokes for different folks. I guess if we all liked SSR then OKW wouldn't exist so this is why god makes us all individuals.

Personally, I just like the fact that Disney gives my family and I so MANY wonderful choices as they do for DVC. We always have a good stay every time we go as there are so many families out there less fortunate than ours. We feel very blessed to even have the opportunity. I say any stay at Disney (good or bad) is better than a good day at work!

good day
Esmerelda :)

I honestly believe the SSR is way better than OKW. Lets face it they have similarities (golf course, drive up, no hallway, very large, exclusively DVC)..

Tell me where I am wrong???

What?!! OKW IS WONDERFUL!! Let's face it--the grande villa is twice the size, and 1/2 the points. :wizard:

Since you're trying to be picky, you missed a few things.

OKW has a full size kitchen. SSR has an apartment size kitchen, just like all the other WDW DVC resorts. Full size refrigerator with Ice makers at OKW, smaller refrigerators with only Ice cube trays in the other resorts.

OKW has a dining room table you can actually sit down at to eat. Not just a dining counter as part of the kitchen.

OKW, a real laundry room with full size washer/dryer. The other resorts have stackable W/D in a closet.

OKW has a porch you can actually sit out on. Room for the entire group.

Parking at OKW is still closer than parking at SSR.

OKW just feels like a real condo. To me, the others feel like Apartments.

And the size cannot be overstated. Put 8 people in the LR/DR of an OKW 2-B/R unit and there's plenty of room. Sofa's and Chairs for evryone. Try putting 8 people in the LR area of any of the other DVC 2-B/R resorts. You physically can't do it.

We've stayed at all of the DVC resorts, numerous times. I have no fault with any of them. The great thing about DVC is the choices we have. Each resort has it's own plusses and minus'.

We prefer OKW because of some of the things noted above. We still like SSR and all the others.

The one thing I absolutely HATE about ALL the DVC resorts is..........

.................having to leave them!:lmao:

It's sometimes a good idea to note the original date for some of these threads. In this case, the thread hadn't had a new post in almost a year old until it was resurrected today.

In the meantime, I'll go have a boat drink...

on my verandah........... :sunny:

No DVC resort can be compared to the other. Haven't you learned? :rolleyes2

You mean that HUGE verandah? I think you can invite some friends. I couldn't resist that. Actually, to each his own.

There is no reason this post should even have started. :sad2: Lets keep discussions on topics that are worth while. Every resort has pluses and minuses.

There is no reason this post should even have started. :sad2: Lets keep discussions on topics that are worth while. Every resort has pluses and minuses.

Actually there is no reason this post should have been revived. Let sleeping dogs lie!:rolleyes:

As a new owner, I don't mind the thread revivals. I tend to skim the complaints/bashes as they are so trivial when put in to perspective (makes me think "if this is the worst thing about "x"...), but I do like to review all the cheers that invariably get posted in response.

All I know is we'll be at OKW in May, SSR for NY eve, and if all goes well, AKV in late Sept/early Oct. After all, they are all at WDW, so I think we'll be quite content!

OKW has a dining room table you can actually sit down at to eat. Not just a dining counter as part of the kitchen.

OKW, a real laundry room with full size washer/dryer. The other resorts have stackable W/D in a closet.

OKW has a porch you can actually sit out on. Room for the entire group.

Ah, three things I get at my beloved Marriott Cypress Harbour. Honestly, first time I ever stayed there in a timeshare promo (after years of Hampton Inn, Fairfields and Courtyard stays) I thought I'd done an Alice and Wonderland and stepped through a magical rabbit hole.

The Marriott's still have the full size dining table in all their resorts, even though Grande Vista is more an apartment style in balcony and kitchen.

Only thing Disney does better is their 3 bedroom Grand Villas. Those all seem to have the best shared living room layout.

Just thought I'd add more irrelevant data to this silly thread. :lmao:

The only place you are going wrong with is making a comparison between Disney resorts. I am pretty sure Diane is trying find a way to DISband you from these boards (be very careful... she is experienced). Frankly, I don't ever feel any of the resorts don't please me. I love them all. So, apologize to Diane, and acknowledge that you love all the resorts. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter