Square Foot Gardening Beds

B&Bforever

Mouseketeer
HI Budget Buddies

I really want to build some raised garden beds but I want to do it as cheaply and nicely as possible.

Does anyone have any great ideas about what to use to build the boxes.

Thanks

If you use wood make sure its untreated. You don't want whatever you use to leach into your veggies. I've seen great directions online that say to use cedar. Personally I didn't want to replace rotting wood and so I went with a composite material that looked like old rail road ties. I know in Costco I saw a set for about 250 that you put together and in bjs they had a composite set for 50$ But if your not sure your in it for the long haul try outlining with brick and working from there.

Check out Craigslist for your area. I"m getting a load of several thousand salvage bricks for my raised beds, completely free from a demolition contractor who is taking down some old school buildings.

SAMS Club has a raised bed garden kit (42" X 84") for around $50. It is made from composite lumber. I looked at it this weekend. It looks really nice for the money. We will be going back this weekend to get one before they are all gone. Cant beat the price.

I know BJS had a raised bed kit when I was last there. I think it was under $40. Not sure how big you were looking at or what your situation is. I know, for me, it was easier to buy a kit than try to build one. Mine is 4x8. Half is 6 inches high, the other half is 12 inches high. If you go to www.gardeners.com they offer a site that you can plan your crop, map it out, and how & when to to plant. I've really enjoyed mine. This is our 2nd year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter