Springtime is Disney Time - A March 2016 PTR Updated 3/7

February 28th through March 6th.
I like it! That definitely does seem like it should work great in breaking up some of the stress of preparing for the relocation. And of course... good weather and a good time to be in the parks.

Even with those pros, we do have some cons. The first being that finding our original dining reservations has been unsuccessful.
:headache: This is what I hate about making ADR's at 180 days and FP+ at 60. It just really kills any flexibility for last minute plans. I don't see why we need to book Dining at 6 months out. Just ridiculous.

(Although, it’d be a shame to have lived 6 hours away from Universal all these years and NEVER have gone…)
What??? :eek: :faint:

Soooo, we called Disney and wouldn’t you know it? They had a military discounted room at Pop Century available from Dec. 20th to Dec. 23rd.

Guess who’s going to see the Osbourne Lights in less than 2 weeks?!?!
That is awesome! I'm so glad you're going to be able to do this! Definitely makes up for having to cut the other trip a bit short and missing a few coveted ADRs.

The lights are special to us. It’s what we saw on our first trip together, where we both kind of realized we wanted to marry each other, where I dreamed of taking my kids one day, what I saw when I was pregnant with Landon, what I got to see with my mom and 7 month old son.
How much better could it be than coming full circle to take Evie there to see it for the first time too??

I have followed your story all along and so excited to hear more! Best of luck to you all on your move and enjoy your 2 upcoming trips to Disney! I can't wait to read all about Germany as well!

Sounds like a lot of excitement coming for you! I'm looking forward to reading about your upcoming trips...and maybe future reports from Disneyland Paris?? You've got so much to do, so we (your eager fans) will try to be patient and wait for updates when your schedule allows.

Another perk to our new dates is that Landon will be free still.
Woot!!! :rainbow:

So we’re going to save a good chunk of money on not having to buy him 8 days of tickets and pay for some of his meals at places like Crystal Palace.

::yes:: That large chunk of change adds up quick once they turn 3. :crazy2:

:cool1::cheer2::dance3:
:yay:pixiedust: Glad you get to say final goodbyes to the lights!

y father in-law is playing Santa Clause (did you know there’s actually a company that hires people to do that?!) about 3 hours away from us in the city where I went to college, so we’re going to drive over Friday afternoon and visit with “Papa” spend the night, and go take a picture with “Santa” that Saturday, then head back home.
FUN!!

Oh that is such great news. :cool1::cheer2::banana: So happy for you. I so wish we could see the Osborn lights once more. My boys and I saw them for the first time last year and it was so AMAZING!!! My husband hasn't seen them before. and hooray for new dates. Sounds like a great time to go, especially weather wise. ;-)

I don't think I actually made a comment over here just yet, but I've been reading. Lots of exciting stuff happening!

Because Alex found out that we're moving.

TO GERMANY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can't imagine doing this, but sounds like you are going to do fine and I'm glad you have family there too. I do remember you saying you were hoping for Europe, so hope this is where you wanted to be.

(Never fear, though, we're only going to be 5 hours away from Disneyland Paris.)
And that's quite a perk! I cannot wait for Disneyland Paris TRs from you!

Another perk to our new dates is that Landon will be free still. So we’re going to save a good chunk of money on not having to buy him 8 days of tickets and pay for some of his meals at places like Crystal Palace.
That's great - will save a ton of $$$! Based on my own experience, it's a good age for the parks too.

Even with those pros, we do have some cons. The first being that finding our original dining reservations has been unsuccessful. Two of our musts: Crystal Palace pre-park opening and an O’hana dinner are just not available during any of our days. I can’t say I’m surprised, and I’m constantly checking the dining page in hopes that someone will cancel, but it just stings a little knowing we had this amazing schedule of meals that is no more.
Keep checking. If you're working on something else on the computer, leave that tab up and just randomly refresh. I can't tell you how many good last-minute reservations I've come across that way. Also, if they still do this over on the dining boards, I know that I used to subscribe to the cancelled ADR threads for my specific month. People post what they are dropping and coordinate with other DISers to pick them up. I've gotten some due to that too. Good luck!

THAT is perfect! It seems like nearly everyone is making one final journey to see the lights, but if there's anyone who needs to, it's you guys.

The lights are special to us. It’s what we saw on our first trip together, where we both kind of realized we wanted to marry each other, where I dreamed of taking my kids one day, what I saw when I was pregnant with Landon, what I got to see with my mom and 7 month old son.
And this is why I'd been thinking you should go. There have been a lot of TRs that include the Osborne Lights, but your updates are the most touching and memorable and meaningful ones I've read. Definitely like Andy's comment about bringing Evie to bring things full circle.

I like it! That definitely does seem like it should work great in breaking up some of the stress of preparing for the relocation. And of course... good weather and a good time to be in the parks.

:headache: This is what I hate about making ADR's at 180 days and FP+ at 60. It just really kills any flexibility for last minute plans. I don't see why we need to book Dining at 6 months out. Just ridiculous.

What??? :eek: :faint:

That is awesome! I'm so glad you're going to be able to do this! Definitely makes up for having to cut the other trip a bit short and missing a few coveted ADRs.

How much better could it be than coming full circle to take Evie there to see it for the first time too??

I'm not going to lie, March is a little cold for me. When we were there last year, I was NOT thrilled at having to bundle up before leaving my resort room.
However, anything below 65 is cold to me; I'm a wimp. (Yeah...my first winter in Germany is gonna suck.)

I really hate booking dining 180 days out. There was one year where the park hours weren't even out when I had to make my choices. I wish dining was at the 60 day window and Fastpasses at 30. That seems so much more reasonable...

I have followed your story all along and so excited to hear more! Best of luck to you all on your move and enjoy your 2 upcoming trips to Disney! I can't wait to read all about Germany as well!

Thank you for reading! Sometimes, I feel silly writing so much about family vacations, but I tell myself I'll appreciate such details years down the road when I can't remember everything as clearly.

Sounds like a lot of excitement coming for you! I'm looking forward to reading about your upcoming trips...and maybe future reports from Disneyland Paris?? You've got so much to do, so we (your eager fans) will try to be patient and wait for updates when your schedule allows.

I can't wait to visit Disneyland Paris and experience a new Disney park. There will definitely be reports about it! I'm hoping to get into a routine with updates in the next month or so. Now that DD is a little older and in more of a schedule, I have more opportunities to write. Plus, I'm banking on my updates to keep me organized for all the stuff I have to do before the move.

Woot!!! :rainbow:

:yay:pixiedust: Glad you get to say final goodbyes to the lights!

FUN!!

I wish it wasn't goodbye. I read somewhere where someone wondered why they didn't move the lights to Disneyland, and I wish they would have! I'd have made a trip out west to see them again at some point. They are just too amazing to not be ran anymore!

(Oh, and I've been terrible about commenting on reports, but I've been reading them! If I can get Evie down for a nap this morning, I'll try and reply to yours! Just know I'm there!)

Oh that is such great news. :cool1::cheer2::banana: So happy for you. I so wish we could see the Osborn lights once more. My boys and I saw them for the first time last year and it was so AMAZING!!! My husband hasn't seen them before. and hooray for new dates. Sounds like a great time to go, especially weather wise. ;-)

That's such a shame, they are something that can't be explained. You have to see them to really understand how awesome they are. I'm glad you and your boys were able to see them, though! And at least last year it wasn't as busy and insane as this year, so you got to see them without the craziness surrounding them.

I don't think I actually made a comment over here just yet, but I've been reading. Lots of exciting stuff happening!

That's okay, you need to concentrate on getting you and Izzy better! I hate that you're both sick.

I can't imagine doing this, but sounds like you are going to do fine and I'm glad you have family there too. I do remember you saying you were hoping for Europe, so hope this is where you wanted to be.

And that's quite a perk! I cannot wait for Disneyland Paris TRs from you!

We were trying to go overseas before we applied to stateside bases. We figured this was the perfect age for the kids to live in a foreign country, because they'll be more likely to pick up the language and culture, and Alex and I wanted to use our time in the military for something exciting, like living in a new country. If we can get paid to experience a new culture, why not take advantage of it?

That's great - will save a ton of $$$! Based on my own experience, it's a good age for the parks too.

I won't lie, I'm not looking forward to the situation you were in on your last trip. The newly minted potty trained toddler.
Ugh.
Landon is on the verge of potty training, so I'm sure by March we'll be making a million visits to the restrooms and being fearful of accidents.

Keep checking. If you're working on something else on the computer, leave that tab up and just randomly refresh. I can't tell you how many good last-minute reservations I've come across that way. Also, if they still do this over on the dining boards, I know that I used to subscribe to the cancelled ADR threads for my specific month. People post what they are dropping and coordinate with other DISers to pick them up. I've gotten some due to that too. Good luck!

THAT is perfect! It seems like nearly everyone is making one final journey to see the lights, but if there's anyone who needs to, it's you guys.

And this is why I'd been thinking you should go. There have been a lot of TRs that include the Osborne Lights, but your updates are the most touching and memorable and meaningful ones I've read. Definitely like Andy's comment about bringing Evie to bring things full circle.

I'm the queen of stalking the dining page. I have the MDE app on my phone and every time I feed Evelyn, I pull my phone out and check. Sure, someone might not be canceling at 2 o'clock in the morning, but if they are, I'm going to nab it!

Aww, thank you. Seeing the lights with Landon was a really special moment for me, and I really tried to capture the joy I had in my update.

Totally jealous that you get to see the lights! I've never seen them and now I never will!

I took a five hour flight with a seven week old in August to see my sister get married in WDW so I'm sure you'll be fine with the drive. You can at least pull over and you've done it before with Landon (who is btw the cutest!)

I hope you enjoyed your December trip and glad you picked new dates for the Spring trip!

And good luck with the move- what an exciting change- but like Dugette, not sure I'd be as calm as you are!

Are you okay with private messages? Because I would love to give you some great advice for your visit to Disney World next March. I can also post on this thread if you won't mind.

Totally jealous that you get to see the lights! I've never seen them and now I never will!

I took a five hour flight with a seven week old in August to see my sister get married in WDW so I'm sure you'll be fine with the drive. You can at least pull over and you've done it before with Landon (who is btw the cutest!)

Thank you. In some aspects, traveling with a newborn is easier than with a baby/toddler. I think I'd take a 7 week old to a 13 month old any day of the week. At least at that age they can't walk and throw a fit and have an opinion on food!

I hope you enjoyed your December trip and glad you picked new dates for the Spring trip!

And good luck with the move- what an exciting change- but like Dugette, not sure I'd be as calm as you are!

I am calm now...we'll see how I am once the ball starts rolling. I'm sure it's going to hit me all at once, and I'll have a moment...

Are you okay with private messages? Because I would love to give you some great advice for your visit to Disney World next March. I can also post on this thread if you won't mind.

Absolutely. I'd love to hear some helpful tips about March. I love this PTR forum, because it helps so many people out. This time of year is so unknown to me. I'm used to May and December. Any other time at Disney and I'm lost.

Plans, Plans, Plans!

I know it has taken me forever and a day to post anything related to this trip, but that is because it’s taken me up until yesterday to finalize my reservations and fastpasses. Moving the vacation up by 3 months and having windows open up around the holidays really threw me off my game; I felt like I was planning my first trip.

Luckily, I think I have everything exactly as I want it, so I feel safe diving into my day to day plans.

We leave for Disney on February 28th.

Nothing exciting will happen on this day. We’ll be driving for around 6-9 hours, depending on the kid’s moods. Check into Pop, meet up with my parent’s, who’ll probably already be there, then eat a quick service dinner either at Art of Animation or Downtown Disney…Springs.

I find myself constantly calling the place by its old name.

Then I try and correct myself and what comes out is a combination of old and new titles.

So, I’ve come to deem the place Downtown Disney Springs.

Apologies in advance if that irritates some.

Can’t help it.

The main goal for that evening will be to let Landon run around and burn off some energy. That car ride is going to leave him wired and restless, so the less we have to sit and keep him occupied, the better. And my dad only has a 4 day hopper, so we didn’t want him wasting a day when he’d already be tired and over traveling.

February 29th:

Our first Disney day!

When it came to planning, this date gave me the most grief.

Ideally, I wanted to start out at the Magic Kingdom. I even procured a Crystal Palace breakfast at opening so that we could get into the park early.

But then I remembered the last leap day in 2012.

Disney had the “one more Disney day” promotion and the Magic Kingdom stayed open for 24 hours.

I felt like the odds were really good Disney would do that again, and my original hope of gaining early access would be shot. I also knew that would make the park extremely crowded, and I absolutely did not want that to be the first impression my dad got of Disney.

So, I waited for New Year’s Eve, when I figured they’d make the announcement about the party.

It never came, but I still didn’t want to take any chances.

So, I adjusted my schedule and now my family is going to Epcot first.

We’re going to concentrate exclusively on Future World here. My dad is a big nerd, and I know that Mission Space, Living with the Land, and Innovations will capture his attention for hours.

I’m not kidding.

The man’s going to want to explore EVERYTHING.

I got all four of us Fastpasses for Test Track from 9:05-10:05.

It breaks my heart a little that I won’t be able to ride Soarin’ one last time, but I’ll just have to tell myself that when I do get back to Disney the attraction will be even better, because they are refurbing it.

The plan is for Alex and I to pick up a Rider Swap and use our passes first. While we are in there, my mom will watch the kids (and go to Starbucks for some coffee) and my dad will go ride Mission: Space. When we’re all done, my parents will go get a Rider Swap and use their passes.

Round 2 of Test Track completed, we’ll all head back to Spaceship Earth and use our second Fastpasses for that. (Gotta love Tier 2 choices…)

With that knocked out, we’ll meander over to the Character Spot and go meet Mickey and some of his pals.

I have to let Evie meet the main mouse on her first trip. It would be wrong to deprive her of such an iconic Disney meet.

When we’re all done with that, I plan on walking across the sidewalk and getting us all a 4th Fastpass for…something. Either Nemo or Living with the Land.

Depending on the time, my group will head to either the Land or the Seas. Going to leave that up to the kids and my dad.

My family will kill time until 12:20, when we have a lunch reservation at Coral Reef.

This isn’t my first choice in Disney restaurants, but I know Alex and my dad will appreciate the seafood, and Landon will love the view.

Actually, my dad will be pretty impressed with the observation tank, too. There will be some dorking out on his part. Especially since I won’t tell him about it beforehand.

After lunch, we’ll all head back to the resort for some rest and naps. I’m sure Landon will have napped in the restaurant or on the journey back to Pop, so Alex and I will have to take turns entertaining him while the other sleeps.

The joy of toddlers…

I have us returning to Epcot for the evening, but that isn’t set in stone.

We should have 2 Rider Swaps for Test Track, which will get everyone on a 2nd time and someone a 3rd, and I’m sure my dad will want to keep looking around Future World. If Alex and I don’t take the kids to the new color part of Innovations while my parents were using their Test Track FPs, I’m sure we’ll want to do that then.

Also a must do will be Figment and shopping in MouseGears. We’d eat at Sunshine Seasons so that I could get my favorite turkey sandwich, and if anyone wanted to do Sum of all Thrills this would be the perfect opportunity.

If, for some reason, nobody is feeling a return to Epcot, then we’ll all head to Magic Kingdom for a few hours. The park hours for the park recently gained an extra hour, so I imagine even without a 24 party the place will be pretty busy. We wouldn’t get to do much, but I know the kids and my mom would prefer to be there versus Epcot.

That’ll be a decision we make while we’re there.

So there it is.

The start of our trip!

Hooray!

Up Next…A Magic Kingdom Day? Nope!

Hooray, first day plans sound great, enough planned but also kinda go with the flow. perfect for traveling with two little ones. Can you believe we've been going to Disney World for 4 years for my kids and 11 for me and we only just rode Figment for the first time on our last trip. Craziness, we loved it, so much so that my 7 yo wants to buy a Figment stuffy next time we go.
Hope your moving plans are going well. Just found out my brother is also going overseas, he'll be stationed in Korea for awhile.

Ok, I'm trying to get caught up everywhere before I leave so no time to comment on everything. I just want to say that your EPCOT plans look good and I hope that your dad is indeed fascinated by exploring everything and gets hooked from day 1.

As for the Downtown Disney Springs comment... I might just have to steal that one, because I'm exactly the same as you.

Does this mean you won't get a chance to meet Marie at the Magic Kingdom?

Hooray, first day plans sound great, enough planned but also kinda go with the flow. perfect for traveling with two little ones. Can you believe we've been going to Disney World for 4 years for my kids and 11 for me and we only just rode Figment for the first time on our last trip. Craziness, we loved it, so much so that my 7 yo wants to buy a Figment stuffy next time we go.
Hope your moving plans are going well. Just found out my brother is also going overseas, he'll be stationed in Korea for awhile.

We had never gone on Figment, either, until Landon's first trip. I don't know why it's so easy to skip. Maybe because it's kind of tucked away in the corner of Future World? I don't know...either way, glad to hear your 7 year old loved it.

The moving plans are underway. I have a blog dedicated to my moving adventures and am going to use it for my adjustment experiences in Germany. anawfullybigmilitaryadventure.com I'm hoping having it will help me keep track of everything I need to do.

Ahh, Korea. Seems like everyone gets sent there at some point in their career. I remember my dad going way back in the day, and Alex and I have already prepared for him to go. (Fun fact, we were actually hoping to get orders to Spain, because if we went there, it would've been considered a "short tour" being only 2 years, and then he probably wouldn't have had to do 1 year in Korea. Ah well...)

I see you have a trip coming up this fall! Food and Wine time! Are you excited? And it's with other homeschoolers (I think...judging by your countdown. Could have read it wrong.)
If you decide to start a PTR or eventually write a TR about it, please let me know! I'd love to follow along!

Ok, I'm trying to get caught up everywhere before I leave so no time to comment on everything. I just want to say that your EPCOT plans look good and I hope that your dad is indeed fascinated by exploring everything and gets hooked from day 1.

As for the Downtown Disney Springs comment... I might just have to steal that one, because I'm exactly the same as you.

My dad is already more excited about this trip than he's letting on. He's not going to be able to hide his Epcot enthusiasm while we're there. He asked my mom the other day if we were staying in "those treehouse thingies" I showed him....2 years ago!
Proof that he's been keeping his ear to the ground where Disney is concerned. Makes me even more excited for our trip now.

Does this mean you won't get a chance to meet Marie at the Magic Kingdom?

The kids will be at the Magic Kingdom probably 4 times on this trip. So, plenty of chances to meet Marie!

Your trip plans sound great! Glad you were able to still find a way to sneak in a Disney trip. I think your Dad will love it especially being there with his grandkids. I've followed all your TR's (lurker). My sister and I are doing a sisters trip Mar. 2-7 and we're staying at Pop! If I see you, I'll say Hello!

Your adventure in Germany sounds wonderful to me. What a great way to get to explore Europe and really get to soak in the culture. Best of luck and enjoy the ride!

Your trip plans sound great! Glad you were able to still find a way to sneak in a Disney trip. I think your Dad will love it especially being there with his grandkids. I've followed all your TR's (lurker). My sister and I are doing a sisters trip Mar. 2-7 and we're staying at Pop! If I see you, I'll say Hello!

Your adventure in Germany sounds wonderful to me. What a great way to get to explore Europe and really get to soak in the culture. Best of luck and enjoy the ride!

Thank you for reading!
Oh, I hope our paths cross while we're both there. DISmeets are one of the highlights of my trip!

I'm looking forward to getting the opportunity to see some of my "bucket list" sights while living in Germany. It's probably going to be the only chance I get, so I'm going to make it count.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter