1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

Spring Fantasy newbie cruiser need help understanding stateroom differences

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by redgrapes2, Dec 26, 2012.

1. redgrapes2

redgrapes2 Earning My Ears

Hi All! Thanks for your patience, never cruised before, trying to understand our options for a spring 2013 cruise. Looks like for a family oceanview stateroom with verandah there are different decks available... 5 through 10? 10 is more expensive, but I don't understand why? Please help me understand why a higher deck costs more?? Thanks in advance!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. PrincessShmoo

PrincessShmoo DIS Veteran

In the "good old days" of sailing, the upper decks were reserved for the more affulent people. The lower decks were the working class people. Today's pricing still reflects that.

:cutie:

4. MrsKP

MrsKP Mouseketeer

That can't really be the reason!?!?!?

5. Bear3412

Bear3412 DIS Veteran

Except for the possible higher view, Shmoo is correct IMHO. Go figure...
    And people pay too. Ironically most try if possible, to aviod the cabins directly below the pool deck. It can lead to unnecessary noise. Why pay more for noise?
    :goodvibes

6. Spurr002

Spurr002 Earning My Ears

Deck 10 on the Fantasy is directly underneath the pool deck, which could get a bit noisy at time, especially if you want to spend time out on your verandah. You're paying for your view. The higher up you are the more you can see to some extent.

7. melaniejh1016

melaniejh1016 Mouseketeer

Its nice to be higher up and close to the pool deck but we just stayed on deck 10 and it was way too noisy. Deck 9 would be much better.

8. lbgraves

lbgraves Little Cinderella's Mommy

It wasn't like that on DCL before the category reclassification happened but yes, that was what I got from the new pricing structure as well.

9. kcashner

kcashner DIS Veteran

Yes, it is....the old cache that higher is better. In reality, higher may have some disadvantages in terms or noise and motion (especially those forward and aft cabins...midship far less).