Spray Painting Laminate Countertops? - UPDATE Post 34!

poohs_hunny

DIS Veteran
Anyone ever done this? I'm considering this option because my countertops are in good condition, but are an ugly yellow laminate. They make that spray paint that looks like stone, and it sounds pretty easy. I was reading about/looking at pictures of people's experiences online. If you've done it, what primer/sealant did you use? How hard was it to keep the paint from getting over everything else? Thanks for any help you can give.

I've never done it, but the previous owner of our old house had and I can tell you that it was peeling up in a lot of places on the counter. I have no idea how long before we bought the house they did it, but it definitely looked pretty bad until we finally replaced the counters.

That said, if it's not terribly expensive, it might still be worth doing to extend the life of your existing counter if the other option would be replacing it. If it comes out badly or doesn't last then you could just replace it at that point.

If it's half the cost of a new counter then it might not be worth the risk and I'd think replacing the counter might be a better option.

The only other thing I'll add is that the color of the paint they used and the original color of the counter were actually reasonably close, so it was difficult to tell from across the room how badly the paint was peeling (but still easy to tell up close). If you do decide to do it, I would suggest trying to keep the color close to your existing counter color for this reason.

My concern would be food safety. I don't believe any of the spray paints are safe around food.

Countertops are relatively inexpensive and easy to install.

I wouldn't. You'll get spotted areas on it from...I don't know if the accellerants do it...but bigger, flat areas like that look awful.

You can buy laminate sheets and put over top of it...I think I've seen them do that on home improvement shows

Or you can buy in-stock countertops at Lowe's or Home Depot for not much money.

For $500-$600 you could probably buy custom laminate. It won't be the fancy styles and finish, but it would still be good.

I would not do it. DH works in the paint business and he says it will not take properly. It will be spotty at best and peel fairly quickly. I would just spring for new laminate. It is not that expensive and it is an easy install with the right tools.

Have none of you lived in apartments?? Every one I've lived in, has spray painted the counter tops. It looks horrible if you're not careful about cutting and having sharp objects on the counters. But renters usually don't care so you see lots of imperfections.

I'd look into tiling over it. It's cheap as well as easy to do yourself. Then you don't have to worry about scratching the top.
There are certain paints designed for countertops. But I don't think the stone look one is safe for countertops.

a few years ago I thought about doing this and everyone I spoke to about it in the "construction" business said not to do it.. even the people at Home Depot & Lowes said not too... I should say, they would not do it if it were their home....

I have not done this myself, but have seen the finished product and it looked nice and appeared to hold up.

Apply Zins bonding primer that has been tinted to countertop.
Use a sea sponge and craft paint to get the "marble" affect.
Apply 4 coats oil based polyurathane.

or

Wash countertop with comet
Foll holes with spackle
Roll 2 coats Kilz. Dry 24 hours
Roll 2-3 coats water based paint. Dry 24 hours.
Roll 2-3 coats water based polycrilic finish

I've done it and had two friends do it. The one that worked the best and looked the best was the "Stone" look spray paint...It turned out GREAT. I sealed mine with a clear sealant and always took care that I didn't let food touch it....I have an enormous cutting board left over from that kitchen....Yes, you can do it and it will look 100% better....

I have not done this but here is another idea that sounds totally crazy.I covered my old ugly one with contact paper.I picked a greyish marble design and suprisingly they look a lot better than they did.I figured it would be very cheap and if I didn't like it I could just peel it off.The seams don't show too bad because of the design of the paper.I didn't think it would hold up for long but I have had the same paper on for over two years and it still looks great.No one has ever noticed that it is contact paper.I was ready to get new counters but just couldn't fit it in the budget at the time.Now it's such a non issue because they look so much better.

I don't think I would do it on laminate and especially where food and liquid would be.

Our first haouse that we bought was built in the 1950's and one of the bathrooms was a horrible pink tile with black tile border. Mt Dh used the stone spray that looked like grey granite (it came with a sealer). I turned out great and we loked it however when our house was covered inwater during a flood it mostly all came off. Not that you rkitchen would be under water for 2 weeks like us but I would really question using near food.

I used another color on laminate cabinets at the place I worked at and it chipped off horribly. Looked so bad I wish I had never touched them.

If you do decide to do this make sure the area is VERY ventilated. When my Dh did ours he just about passed out from the fumes which are very very strong. Also...it took much more of the paint then we thought it would to give it the right effect and we ended up spending over $200 (1988'ish)on a very small bathroom .

Yes, I've done it. Well, I actually sponge painted with 3 different colors(bought 2 tiny cans about $3 to $4 to use for the sponge part ) I've actually done it twice but this last time was my favorite... Like others have said you have to be careful when cutting or putting HOT objects down. I also keep a giant glass cutting board out so I can set my crockpot on it. I'm afraid the heat would change the color of the paint. I'm using as a temporary fix.

Heres what I did:
1. lightly sand
2. use kliz (i choose the mildew resistant kitchen and bath)
3. roll paint a solid color (let completely dry)
4. sponge 2 different colors. Do 1 color let dry then the other color
5. then use a polyurethane. I used water based as my neighbor used oil based and it caused yellowing. I used 3 coats- let dry between each.

I'm looking for the pics so I can post. I cant find them on my computer, let me check my cell

I recently looked into painting laminate countertops and I found out that Rustoleum makes a countertop paint for laminate surfaces. It is sold at Lowes. I googled it and found a few reviews of it. It's not a spray paint-you use a regular brush or roller.
I haven't tried it myself, but that might be another option to look into. How would you be able to spray paint in your kitchen without the paint getting on everything else?
Good luck!

I have been researching ways to redo my kitchen on the cheap. I have ugly 4 x 4 square white ceramic tiles for my countertop. The house was a rental before we bought it. It is impossible to get the grout really clean. When the budget allows, I will be trying Giani granite paint for the countertops and using Thomas stainless steel paint for the appliances. Here is a link for the countertop paint. http://www.liquidstainlesssteel.com/giani/products.html

Just finished mine--they look awesome!!

I followed the instructions and tips here. I used Envirotex Lite from Menard's for my clear top coat. It is used for bars. Good luck!

I have been researching ways to redo my kitchen on the cheap. I have ugly 4 x 4 square white ceramic tiles for my countertop. The house was a rental before we bought it. It is impossible to get the grout really clean. When the budget allows, I will be trying Giani granite paint for the countertops and using Thomas stainless steel paint for the appliances. Here is a link for the countertop paint. http://www.liquidstainlesssteel.com/giani/products.html

I just checked out that website and the product looks very intriguing. With the stone spray paint I was concerned about the bumpiness (would topcoat smooth it out enough?) and mostly, getting the spray everywhere. I'd have to put newspaper or dropcloths over the walls, appliances, sink, and cabinets. And I'd still be paranoid about missing a spot. I wonder how easy it really is to sponge on the colors. I'm somewhat "craftily inclined" so I bet I could do it. Has anyone used this product or known someone who did?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter