Sportclips vs SuperCuts

jkjs

Mouseketeer
My son wants longer hair but right now his "style" it is a complete mess. We usually go to SuperCuts but they generally don't have any ideas, they just do what you tell them to do.

Does Sportclips offer suggestions?

My son wants longer hair but right now his "style" it is a complete mess. We usually go to SuperCuts but they generally don't have any ideas, they just do what you tell them to do.

Does Sportclips offer suggestions?

Not really. They basically do what my son tells him to. If you're looking for a new style, you might want to try a salon until he gets what he wants.

My DS18 goes regularly to SportClips -- I think it's expensive ($17 minimum) for what you get (basically, it's Hooters meets SuperCuts).

I think it depends on the experience/expertise of the stylist you end up with. I have taken my boys to Sports Clips many times and it really varies in regards to suggestions (my youngest has terrible cowlicks in the front so I am constantly asking for tips..to date I rarely get more than a shrug or "I have no idea") and you can tell the more experienced one can offer suggestions.

DH has been to both. He has problems with "wings" shortly after he gets a cut. The girl who cut his hair at SportClips shrugged her shoulders and said, "If you have problems, come back and we'll try to fix it." :confused3

He decided next time he will go back to SuperCuts because the quality of the cut was the same there for less money.

My DS 12 use to go to Sports Clips - there was 1 girl that really took her time cutting his hair and talking to him. The others would zip thru it and not even talk to him. Then the hair cut started costing $17. I was not paying that much, they didn't wash his hair and spent about 10 minutes.

We have a Great Clips by us and we go there - they are so nice, take their time, plus it is only $13 and it looks more styled.

We used to go to Sport Clips but their prices are crazy and the stylists really don't care (or at least the ones we've had). When I asked them to give my boys a 'classic boys short haircut' they had no idea what I was talking about. Now we just go to Great Clips and use the Sport Clips coupon.

I didn't know I could use a Sports Clips coupon at Great Clips - Thank you for that info, I will have to remember that.

My DS18 goes regularly to SportClips -- I think it's expensive ($17 minimum) for what you get (basically, it's Hooters meets SuperCuts).
Other than the fact that both businesses are likely to have ESPN on the TV, 'm not seeing the connection.

Other than the fact that both businesses are likely to have ESPN on the TV, 'm not seeing the connection.

Me either..The stylists at the ones we go to are generally dressed like referees..black pants and a "ref" style shirt (often a polo style shirt). I don't get the Hooters connection at all?

Me either..The stylists at the ones we go to are generally dressed like referees..black pants and a "ref" style shirt (often a polo style shirt). I don't get the Hooters connection at all?

There are quite a few different official SportClips uniforms that can be ordered for stylists. It's up to what the individual stores/managers dictate they want the stylists to wear. Some want them to wear the same thing each day of the week. Some stores let the stylists choose and there are some pretty tight fitting blingy shirts and pants to choose from. I can see how if not monitored someone may have been to stores where these uniforms are worn. Combined with some of the stylists choices of style, I do get the Hooters connection comment, but probably not seen in the majority of the stores.

I went to Sportclips today with DH. Very Un-Hootery. He likes it so I guess it's worth the few extra bucks. It's all about the stylist anyway, no matter where you go.

There are quite a few different official SportClips uniforms that can be ordered for stylists. It's up to what the individual stores/managers dictate they want the stylists to wear. Some want them to wear the same thing each day of the week. Some stores let the stylists choose and there are some pretty tight fitting blingy shirts and pants to choose from. I can see how if not monitored someone may have been to stores where these uniforms are worn. Combined with some of the stylists choices of style, I do get the Hooters connection comment, but probably not seen in the majority of the stores.

You work for them I assume?

I have been to 2 of them here..none of them have ever seemed remotely "Hooters" like in their dress. All have been black pants and ref style polo shirts or once on a dress down day they all had on various team shirts/jerseys or something like that. I guess for some of us there is no Hooters connection as the ones we have visited/used do not allow their workers to dress in that manner.

I am a stylist. When you go to those places it's hit or miss. You usually either get someone who's wet behind the ears who's working there to get "experience", or you get some older person who's basically given up on making their career anything more than a $10 an hour job. You should get referrals from friends, family, and co-workers as to where they go. A person that works at a decent place is usually more open to giving suggestions and making his hair work because they care if you come back. Avoid places that are open on Sundays. Those people hate their jobs and curse you as soon as you walk in the door. You can usually find well priced places that aren't "corporate machines" that will do an awesome job. You might just find a stylist for life!! ;)

I am a stylist. When you go to those places it's hit or miss. You usually either get someone who's wet behind the ears who's working there to get "experience", or you get some older person who's basically given up on making their career anything more than a $10 an hour job. You should get referrals from friends, family, and co-workers as to where they go. A person that works at a decent place is usually more open to giving suggestions and making his hair work because they care if you come back. Avoid places that are open on Sundays. Those people hate their jobs and curse you as soon as you walk in the door. You can usually find well priced places that aren't "corporate machines" that will do an awesome job. You might just find a stylist for life!! ;)

Supercuts is like the no frills of haircut places- I'm not even sure the people that work there actually have any training in hair cutting whatsoever!!!

I do that for myself..my stylist came from referrals but for my little boys who need frequent haircuts I can't justify a "stylist for life" or paying $30 or more per kid every 6-8 weeks. Places like Supercuts or SportsClips are right up my alley for their hair. As they get older and more "in" to their hair and styles then by all means we will shop around but until then I stick with these types of places.

Supercuts is like the no frills of haircut places- I'm not even sure the people that work there actually have any training in hair cutting whatsoever!!!

Today I looked at their website when I saw this thread.

The application asks questions if you are licensed (but I guess if you want to be their receptionist you wouldn't need one), transportation, a resume (if you have one), a recent photo of yourself (if you'd like), and asks how many times a month you think it is OK to be late for work! :eek:

OK, that last one blows my mind but since I have been in the business for 29 years, I will say that I have worked with people who have no problem with being late or running late. Ugh.

I wonder if they really get people in and out in 20 mins? That's quick when you are shampooing ( you learn that a shampoo should last 5 mins but I guess 2 mins will do. The hot towel deal, the cut, clean up (neck, ears, brows), and then they give shoulder massages? I gotta say, I *ain't* massaging some stranger's shoulders. :headache:

Interesting concept...and I didn't see anything Hooter-like with the uniforms on-line.
Gotta say, I've worked with a few girls who dressed very Hooter-like.:laughing: However, the more ****s, belly and leg she showed, the happier those guys were! Sadly, she couldn't cut worth a crap. :rolleyes: Women rarely returned but the men did!

Today I looked at their website when I saw this thread.

The application asks questions if you are licensed (but I guess if you want to be their receptionist you wouldn't need one), transportation, a resume (if you have one), a recent photo of yourself (if you'd like), and asks how many times a month you think it is OK to be late for work! :eek:

OK, that last one blows my mind but since I have been in the business for 29 years, I will say that I have worked with people who have no problem with being late or running late. Ugh.

I wonder if they really get people in and out in 20 mins? That's quick when you are shampooing ( you learn that a shampoo should last 5 mins but I guess 2 mins will do. The hot towel deal, the cut, clean up (neck, ears, brows), and then they give shoulder massages? I gotta say, I *ain't* massaging some stranger's shoulders. :headache:

Interesting concept...and I didn't see anything Hooter-like with the uniforms on-line.
Gotta say, I've worked with a few girls who dressed very Hooter-like.:laughing: However, the more ****s, belly and leg she showed, the happier those guys were! Sadly, she couldn't cut worth a crap. :rolleyes: Women rarely returned but the men did!

In regards to the bold..I have applied for jobs where they ask random pre screening questions..things like "Is it ever OK to steal from work" or "Is it OK to take small/inexpensive items from work" and things like that to weed people out up front. It could be they totally discount anyone who indicates that being late is OK even once. :confused3

SuperCuts and SportsClips generally offer things like washing hair and styling it as "extras" (same with the shoulder massage at Sports Clips) and with a higher level/cost hair cut so I am guessing it likely averages out in the long run..you get one or two that want the works but most just a basic cut with no wash.

In regards to the bold..I have applied for jobs where they ask random pre screening questions..things like "Is it ever OK to steal from work" or "Is it OK to take small/inexpensive items from work" and things like that to weed people out up front. It could be they totally discount anyone who indicates that being late is OK even once. :confused3

SuperCuts and SportsClips generally offer things like washing hair and styling it as "extras" (same with the shoulder massage at Sports Clips) and with a higher level/cost hair cut so I am guessing it likely averages out in the long run..you get one or two that want the works but most just a basic cut with no wash.

OK, that makes sense. It's been 29 years that I hired on as a hairdresser and I really wasn't even interviewed. Now I work for myself and being late and running late are not allowed. Boss is a toughie. ;)

No wash? Ugh. I *ain't* touching anyone's hair without washing it!

And I have to wonder why anyone would pay or charge $30 for a boys haircut. Wow, that's expensive!!

Sport Clips is new to MA and NH where Supercuts has been here a long time and Great Clips putting up many stores quickly. I have been to 3 Sport Clips locations and it is clearly better than the others. Sport Clips and Supercuts prices are the same though Sport Clips gives you more services and it is really a Dad's and son's place, a clean and casual place. If a cheap price is important to you then Great Clips is the place but don't expect much of a service you may as well buy a pair of hair clippers and do it yourself so you can save the 6, 7 or 8 bucks they offer in their specials.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter