Splitting stay between AoA & POR. Better place to start/end the vacation?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by ELLH, Jul 24, 2014.

1. ELLH

ELLH Mouseketeer

My wife and I are currently booked in a LM room at AoA for us and our 4yo DD for an 8 night stay from 12/9 - 12/16.

My wife has wanted to stay at POR but it's been cost prohibitive in the past. However, now that discounts have been released for POR, we are going to do a split stay - 3 or 4 nights at POR - so we can get an idea of what POR is like and keep within a moderate (no pun intended!) budget. :woohoo:

My question may be kind of silly but I thought I'd ask it anyway:
    Is there a particular resort you'd start your stay with?

Logistics wise, is going from to the other better? Or 'magic' wise, is one better to start with IYHO? Date wise, I can't think of any reason one would be better than the other. But, we were thinking starting with POR would give us the ability to really enjoy the area as typically the end of a vacation is spent mostly at the park or running around trying to get the last minute stuff in. I'm also coming from the angle that "we know we like AoA" and I'd hate to get to POR and find I prefer AoA and it kind of put a damper on the remainder of the trip. The great 'uknown' factor, if you know what I mean.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Follow up question...
    Any tips on transferring from one location to the other? Should we plan the move day to be a "no park" day?

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. dansdad

dansdad DIS Veteran

We prefer to do the "nicer" resort last.

Value then Moderate
    Moderate then Deluxe

Unknowingly we did it the other way around and it was a real letdown. More so than I really expected.

4. mevelandry

mevelandry DIS Veteran

I would usually suggest to start with the value, then going to the moderate...

But since you like AoA, the worst thing that can happen is that you might prefer POR in the end?

5. Disfan1968

Disfan1968 Ordinary Pig

Hehe... look out! Once you step up, especially as adults with no kids, you might find it hard to step back down! ;)

6. epcotmexicopavilion

epcotmexicopavilion Earning My Ears

As mentioned above, ending with the highest quality resort might be the best idea.

Think of it this way: As your stay at WDW progresses, you will find yourself more and more exhausted and thereby better able to appreciate a higher resort's amenities(pool, lobby, rest areas, restaurants, bars).

7. hawks026

hawks026 Earning My Ears

I would agree with most others and say start at value, then go to moderate resort...that way if you like the moderate more, you don't feel like you are taking a step down so to speak for the rest of the trip.

8. Luv2Run

Luv2Run DIS Veteran

I'm in agreement with pps in that you should start at the value then move to the moderate. First of all, the rooms at POR are slightly larger than at the values, so you'll get to spread out and relax. Second, they have quiet pools at POR, so you'll get to relax there (if you are a pool person) without the craziness of kiddie pools.

I would have your transfer day be a parks day, since check-out is at 11am, and check-in won't be until 3pm at POR. Check-out first thing in the morning, drop your bags at bell services to be transferred to POR, take a bus to the park, then when you return take the POR bus from the park to the resort to check-in. When you check-in at POR, you can either grab your bags from bell services, or have them brought to your room for you. (I've heard of folks having bell services drop their bags in their room, but that's not always guaranteed, especially since you might want to move rooms once you get there and see the resort).