Split stays and dining plans...I'm so confused!

Tinker1972

Mouseketeer
We finally have our travel dates for 2013:) We are going November 9th-19th, possibly adding on 1 or 2 more nights if my husbands job will allow us.
We've decided to do a split stay this trip (we have never done this before!), because the kids REALLY want to stay at Pop Century and we REALLY want to stay at POFQ.So we figure we would have the best of both worlds by doing a split stay..5 nights at each resort:banana:.
I have priced it out 2 ways, one being 5 nights at Pop, with 10 day passes and then just a room only reservation at POFQ, the other doing 2 separate reservations for each resort, getting 5 day passes with each reservation(obviously costing more $$). Here is where I get confused: IF, and that is a REALLY big IF...free dining comes our for our dates, or if I am lucky enough to get a PIN for free dining, how would this work with a split stay? If I book the 5 nights and POP with the 10 day tickets, and a room only ressie for POFQ, we would only get the dining plan for the 5 days, right? Is my only option to book 2 separate packages, each with 5 day tickets and dining plan? Is it possible for Disney to book one reservation at 2 resorts, so that I only have to purchase one set of 10 day tickets, which is cheaper than buying 2 sets of 5 day tickets? Does any of this even make any sense? LOL..just trying to figure out the easiest and most cost efficient way to allow us to do a split stay IF we are fortunate to get the free dining (which we are SO SO HOPING FOR!!)

From what I was told a few weeks ago.

to add dining you need to have a package which includes tickets.

you will need to buy tickets for each stay.

buying 2 5 days park tickets instead of 1 10 day package

There's a lot of variables in your scenarios, but I'll try to help where I can.

You can't have one 10-day DDP assigned to two different resort reservations, because DDP is tied to your resort reservation. You can do two different ressies if you like, with DDP on both of them.

Also, make sure you price out what your family requires for food before assuming "free dining" is a good deal for you. If you don't normally eat a sit-down meal every single day at WDW, chances are DDP wouldn't save you any money, but would likely cost you extra. Keep in mind you have to pay rack rate for the room to get "free dining". You can often save more by simply getting a room-only discount, discounted tickets if you can find them, and then eating counter service in the parks most days, with maybe a sit-down meal or 2 or 3 throughout the trip.

I wish they'd go back to offering 35-40% room-only discounts in addition to, or instead of, "free dining". "Free dining" isn't a good deal for those who have different dining patterns than what WDW assumes we want. There are times, though when I would not mind paying for DDP if I got a room discount.

IF, and that is a REALLY big IF...free dining comes our for our dates, or if I am lucky enough to get a PIN for free dining, how would this work with a split stay? If I book the 5 nights and POP with the 10 day tickets, and a room only ressie for POFQ, we would only get the dining plan for the 5 days, right?

Right.

Is my only option to book 2 separate packages, each with 5 day tickets and dining plan?

Yup!

Is it possible for Disney to book one reservation at 2 resorts, so that I only have to purchase one set of 10 day tickets, which is cheaper than buying 2 sets of 5 day tickets?

Nope.

Split stays are always and ONLY considered as completely separate reservations at Disney. You are staying at different hotels, after all. A dining package, whether paid for or free requires either a one or two day ticket (minimum) respectively as a part of the package. This is why split stays with dining are so compicated. Most people choose to have the dining package only with their first resort, with park tickets for their whole stay. Then the second stay is room only and dining is OOP. Adding dining to the second stay will significantly add to your total costs.

If you choose to do this, there is a long-term solution if you plan to return to WDW in the next few years. What some folks do is this: They get the DDP plus tickets for their full stay with their first resort. Then they get the DDP plus the minimum number of day tickets for their second resort. But they do not use the park ticket on that second resort. Then on their next visit they do a room only reservation and use that unused park ticket from the previous visit. It requires an extra outlay of cash on the first visit, but is the only way I am aware of to get that extra dining plan.

As for free dining- I have seen several threads with a couple of rumours from credible sources predicting a change from the past Free Dining offers. First, that they simply won't be offering them at all. And second, that they may not offer free dining at value resorts, only QS at mods. And of course there is no way of knowing what, if any, special offers may be available for your projected dates. I would recommend that you make reservations for the vacation that you can afford without any discount. If something does come along that is of benefit for you, then you can make changes at that time and just look on it as a bonus.

I'm not sure how it would work out price wise, but I believe to get the free dining you have to buy at least a 1 day park pass for the package. You could look to see how it would work to get a 9 day tix on your first ressie and a 1 day ticket o. The second. That should meet the requirements for the package at each place and give you 10 days worth of tickets.

I'm not sure how it would work out price wise, but I believe to get the free dining you have to buy at least a 1 day park pass for the package. You could look to see how it would work to get a 9 day tix on your first ressie and a 1 day ticket o. The second. That should meet the requirements for the package at each place and give you 10 days worth of tickets.

You must buy at least a 2 day ticket for free dining now.

mericletwins said:

2 days for free dining but just 1 if youre paying for it.

In your scenario you'd be better off without the DDP. Obviously 2 5-day passes will cost much more than a 10-day. And like a PP said, free dining is not always the best deal. If you can get room discounts, you're much better off..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter