Split Stay Opinions

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by HairyChest, Apr 21, 2013.

1. HairyChest

HairyChest Mouseketeer

For those of you that have done split stays, what was your overall experience?

I know the benefit is to try different resorts but what resort did you end up liking more?

If you had to do it over again knowing what you know, would you had picked 1 resort and stuck with it?

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. Sue M

Sue M DIS Veteran

Since my trips tend to be 10 or more days, I have done split stays and like it. It gives me a hence to experience more resorts, that I'm interested in, and feels like 2 vacays.
    But sometimes I stay put, and enjoy just hunkering in. Both have their advantages.

4. mickeynut1

mickeynut1 DIS Veteran

I think split stays are a great idea to spend time at different resorts in 1 trip, but I would only do it again if the trip was at least 9 or 10 nights long...anything less than that and it's 1 resort for us.

5. carrielovesdisney

carrielovesdisney Mouseketeer

How do split stays effect the deals? For instance, if I start my stay at the movies, then move to AOA, could we get the deal for the entire trip?

6. dansdad

dansdad DIS Veteran

If there are rooms available at both resorts under the deal, then yes.

7. goofyredraider

goofyredraider DIS Veteran

We did a split stay last year, 7 nights at POR, 6 at BC. It was like two vacations in one and we really enjoyed it.

This year, I'm doing a triple split - 5 @ POFQ, 6 @ AKL, 7 @ BC. DH will join us at BC, so I'm taking the opportunity to try out two resorts that are NOT an option for us as a family of 5 normally since there will only be 4 of us at that time.

As far as deals, yes, if they are available at each resort (room only discounts) you are looking at. However, if you are doing dining or tickets, it will not carry over for all of your resort stays with a few exceptions (military discount, AP, to name a few).

8. d1gitman

d1gitman Mad About The Mouse!

we have done multiple split stays in the past. the only issue we ran into was when we started going during free DDP. We would arrive at the end of the promo and stay for 9,10 or 14 days beyond the promo date. Thus we would have to stay at the same resort in order to keep the free DDP promo. That particular promo is tied to your resort stay and even though you are staying at WDW properties throughout the duration, each resort is considered a seperate reservation.

9. mindy20

mindy20 Mouseketeer

I love split stays, I have 3 kids 2,3, and 5 at the time, so I thought it would be stressful but it wasn't. We stayed 5 at GF and 3 at BC followed by 4 night Disney Cruise. This year we are doing 5 at POLY 4 night cruise 3 at BC. My kids love SAB, so for us that's the reason to spend a few nights there, I like the monorail resorts for convenience so with the split stay everyone is happy !!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

10. wdwrich

wdwrich DIS Veteran

We enjoy split stays and as others have mentioned, it's like getting two vacations in one! We don't use the DDP (free or paid), so that's not an issue for us. One suggestion though- If you're splitting between two resorts at different levels (value and moderate, moderate and deluxe...), do the higher-end resort last. That way, you won't feel as if you are downgrading the second part of your vacation.

11. cluvsdisney

cluvsdisney DIS Veteran

Our main trip is always with DVC points but every once in a while, we'll add an extra day or two and use the opportunity to check out a new resort. It's kind of cool to check out a new place - I was surprised at how much I liked Coronado Springs Resort and how much I disliked Caribbean Beach Resort. We both like POR so it's nice to spend an extra evening there once in a while. I should note we are 2 adults travelling without children so there's not as much to pack. Plus we rent a car so we don't have to pack neatly and we can drive to the 2nd resort and not wait for our bags to show up if our room is ready

We are going to the BWV next month and decided to extend the trip for one more day so we are moving to the Dolphin for the last night. Can. Not. Wait. to check it out.