Split Stay for a Honeymoon

ckrisie

Mouseketeer
I am going to be honeymooning in Disney World! YAY :cool1:

We were planning on renting points and staying at BWV, thanks to all the help from the other posters :hyper:

We were however to slow, we waited 5 days after the 11 months mark and missed the boat... kinda...

We are going to book the latter part of the honeymoon at BWV. 5 days

And either book a OKW or POR Riverside for 5 days for a split stay, haven't decided which yet but my understanding is we have more time, hopefully. And we are hoping to see if there are any discounts for Jan. 2014 for room only.

We will not be buying our tickets through Disney. DF work gives him a great discount ::yes::

We will not be using the DDP, we worked it out and while HE is a foodie, I am decidedly not... so it will be cheaper just to pay OOP.

My true question is ... Is there anything we should know about split stays?

We just did a split stay in January of this year that included a transfer from WLV to BWV (renting points). Our room was ready at around 3:30 and our bags were there by then, as well. Don't bank on having anything sooner than that though, and between 4-5 is the norm for bags.

When you get ready to check out of your first hotel, just walk to the bellhop with your bags and tell him your name and where you're staying next. He'll tag all your bags with that info, and, in less than 5 minutes, you'll be free (and homeless). For 2 adults, that didn't bother us at all, as we don't generally head back to our room in the middle of the day.

We never linked our park tickets to our room keys, but they can do that for you at the front desk if you'd like.

Good luck!

ckrisie said:

We were planning on renting points and staying at BWV, thanks to all the help from the other posters :hyper:

We were however to slow, we waited 5 days after the 11 months mark and missed the boat... kinda...

And either book a OKW or POR Riverside for 5 days for a split stay, haven't decided which yet but my understanding is we have more time, hopefully. And we are hoping to see if there are any discounts for Jan. 2014 for room only.

We will not be buying our tickets through Disney. DF work gives him a great discount ::yes::

We will not be using the DDP, we worked it out and while HE is a foodie, I am decidedly not... so it will be cheaper just to pay OOP.

My true question is ... Is there anything we should know about split stays?

First of all, congrats on your upcoming wedding!

My wife and I did the same thing for our honeymoon, spending three days at the Beach Club before moving to the Swan for our last six days (we went there because we had a ton of Starwood points since we had our wedding reception at our nearby Westin).

My only advice would be that you end your stay at the nicer resort. That way you have something more to look forward to. We had a marvelous time on our honeymoon at both hotels!

We have done several split stays but after once having a piece of rogue luggage go missing and hours wasted while bell services tried to track it down, we now spend the $20 and take a cab to transfer our luggage in the morning, check in and head to the parks. That way, at the end of the day, we come back to a ready room and bell services already has ALL of our luggage and can deliver it to us.

My advice, after having done several splits, is to choose the most relaxing resort for the 2nd leg. I love the Epcot area resorts, BCV is my home resort, but it's not the most relaxing area. I'd pick OKW second. This is a resort where you can be happy spending your days on your balcony or at the pool and never even go into a park.

it looks like you are going during a relatively slow time. only BWV owners can book there right now (and there are definately villas available for 01/14) - did you possibly ask a non-BWV owner to check (they cannot see availability until 7 months out)?

while i enjoy split stays, not sure that would be as much fun while on your honeymoon :)

it looks like you are going during a relatively slow time. only BWV owners can book there right now (and there are definately villas available for 01/14) - did you possibly ask a non-BWV owner to check (they cannot see availability until 7 months out)?

while i enjoy split stays, not sure that would be as much fun while on your honeymoon :)

We are going to be honeymooning Jan. 6 -16th in 2014. We contacted Davids and are renting through them, we want a standard room, and were told as of yesterday they did not have any rooms for the full 10 days. That is why we are doing the split from Jan. 6 -11 at OKW or POR and staying at BWV Jan. 11 -16. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

We could have the preferred view but I'd rather spend the $$$ on making memories outside of the view. IE tour and romantic dinners.

We have done several split stays but after once having a piece of rogue luggage go missing and hours wasted while bell services tried to track it down, we now spend the $20 and take a cab to transfer our luggage in the morning, check in and head to the parks. That way, at the end of the day, we come back to a ready room and bell services already has ALL of our luggage and can deliver it to us.

My advice, after having done several splits, is to choose the most relaxing resort for the 2nd leg. I love the Epcot area resorts, BCV is my home resort, but it's not the most relaxing area. I'd pick OKW second. This is a resort where you can be happy spending your days on your balcony or at the pool and never even go into a park.

We are planning on driving. DF doesn't want to fly too nervous, so it will be a 14 hour drive for us. YAY :yay: bonding time!

So we are planning on driving to the resorts with our luggage in the trunk checking in going to the park and coming back at the end of the day after 5 pm and grabbing our stuff. Hopefully nothing goes missing that way and we don't have to waste a lot of time. Thanks!

First of all, congrats on your upcoming wedding!

My wife and I did the same thing for our honeymoon, spending three days at the Beach Club before moving to the Swan for our last six days (we went there because we had a ton of Starwood points since we had our wedding reception at our nearby Westin).

My only advice would be that you end your stay at the nicer resort. That way you have something more to look forward to. We had a marvelous time on our honeymoon at both hotels!

I am not sure which I think is nicer BWV or OKW but I think BWV might be better since it is near EP and HS. But since I only have ever stayed at POP while I was a CP and it was parks all day every day for all of 3 days I don't know. I went as a child with my parents but we always stayed off property.

I am just excited to stay on property!:cool1:

We just did a split stay in January of this year that included a transfer from WLV to BWV (renting points). Our room was ready at around 3:30 and our bags were there by then, as well. Don't bank on having anything sooner than that though, and between 4-5 is the norm for bags.

When you get ready to check out of your first hotel, just walk to the bellhop with your bags and tell him your name and where you're staying next. He'll tag all your bags with that info, and, in less than 5 minutes, you'll be free (and homeless). For 2 adults, that didn't bother us at all, as we don't generally head back to our room in the middle of the day.

We never linked our park tickets to our room keys, but they can do that for you at the front desk if you'd like.

Good luck!

Thank you, since it is just the two of us we are hoping this split will work. we are trying to make it easy.... as easy as it can be with a split stay and not make it too complicated for ourselves!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!