Spirit of Aloha compared to "real" islands/luaus?

SmileyJoyz

Mouseketeer
I've searched through the existing threads regarding the Spirit of Aloha dinner show but haven't found anyone who has mentioned this. I'm wondering if anyone who has been to the SoA dinner has ever done an authentic luau before and/or been to a "real" island? My husband and I have been to nearly all of the major Hawaiian islands and went to Fiji last summer. I have NO illusions that this is going to be anywhere near the real experience of sitting on a beach next to the Pacific, but I'm curious how the show compares to the ones you get in Hawaii. There is often some cheese-factor with those, too (Tiny Bubbles anyone?). But we really enjoy the different types of dancing and storytelling, an integral part of various Polynesian cultures.

We already have a cat 2 reservation that we'll pay with the DDP this August. I'm not considering canceling it, I'm just curious to know how it compares to the real deal. We've been to WDW twice before but this is our first time staying at a Disney hotel. We thought we'd take advantage and really don't mind that this is two table credits since we'll be at Universal two of the evenings and won't have a chance to eat on Disney property those days (we'll have 7 table credits a piece and are doing Jiko, Brown Derby, and Chefs de France the other nights).

Thanks for your input!

Joy

I have done authentic luaus on Oahu and Maui. The Spirit of Aloha show doesn't even compare. We thought the SoA show was corny and beyond lame. We were embarrassed to watch the actors in it who, well, couldn't act. I think they would have been better placed in character costumes where all they had to do was nod their head and wave. The only good part was the fire guy but even he wasn't worth the waste of a few hours. The food was also subpar. I personally wouldnt go again if it were free. Too much of a waste of time for us.

1) Aloha is LAME-O in comparison.
2) It is a poor compilation of other luau's.
3) We have done several authentic ones , and our daughter fell asleep at Disney's !

DH and I have been to a luau at Lahaina, Maui. We have also been to SoA at WDW. The show at Spirit of Aloha is a dinner show about a girl's search for her cultural identity after experiencing the modern world. Various dancers are given the opportunity to demonstrate different dance styles, there's a hula, a fire dance (forget if there is a Maori dance or not) and so on. The entertainment portion of the luau in Hawaii was conceptually not far from that of SoA, the idea was to give tourists a sampler of dance, sewn together with a narrative/plot line. I would say that the entertainment in Hawaii seemed more authentic. The food in Hawaii was also more authentic, we had a whole roast pig, poi and a number of side dishes, fruits, etc. The SoA meal is more a kind of barbecue type meal, with foods that should be more or less familiar to WDW guests (spare ribs, chicken, and so on).
So, a luau in Hawaii is more authentic than the SoA show. But that does not mean that the SoA is a waste of time. I found it good fun, and quite approachable. I will say that the Chocolate Volcano pudding dessert is a disappointment. The only reason we stayed through dessert was to settle our photograph bill with the server.

Thanks for the feedback. On the drive to school this morning, DH and I talked about HDDR but I'm just not that keen on it. I know many people here love it, but it seems way too cheesy and the food doesn't sound exciting at all.

I think we'll stick with our SoA res and try it out for ourselves. In the event of a rainout, we have a backup res at a signature restaurant for later in our stay.

I have been to both and it is nothing like the real thing..I HAVE found one that is 99% like the real thing and it is at the universal resort in orlando...it costs the same as the one at the poly but the food and show is 200% better...I thought it was even better then the one I did in Honolulu! It was a great luau and you dont have to be staying there to get tickets.Its about a 20 minute drive from Disney.I had never seen such a big choice of food and the food was top notch, not cheap type foods right down to the whole roasted pig which I was iffy about but it was sooooo good.Its put on by a family that is from the islands and it goes back generations for them.

NOTHING compares to Paradise Cove luau on Ohau its a true experience! We booked it while staying at the Outrigger Waikiki they had a bus come pick us up about 2 hrs before the luau began. They had activities like canoe riding, tatoos(grease pencil) pics with the fire eater( wow he was HOT,lol) games you could play and then you were seated by catergory and the show began drinks flowed and food was brought out it was amazing, something Ill never forget! Plus the scenery was absolutely amazing, I remember sitting there wishing time would stop. Hawaii itself was amazing..Ok I better stop I could go on and on about hawaii! Lets just say DH and plan on retiring to Kona on the Big Island..Ohau is nice but too touristy! But again I ramble...

Having done SOA years ago I think SOA is great for kids and ppl who havent been able to experience the real thing..

I also would not be into HDDR, Im happy not doing any dinner show to be honest, there is so much to do at WDW dinner show just doesnt seem to fit on our to do list..lol

when we first started going to the luaus 15 or so years ago at Disney. The entertainment was consistent with real Luau's in Hawaii. The dancers all went to the same schools to learn these dances .. The story is lame but we still enjoyed it and the atmosphere .

Having done SOA years ago I think SOA is great for kids and ppl who havent been able to experience the real thing..

I also would not be into HDDR, Im happy not doing any dinner show to be honest, there is so much to do at WDW dinner show just doesnt seem to fit on our to do list..lol

DH is really intent on doing a dinner show with some of our table service points, which is fine. He's taking me to IoA to see Harry Potter later during the same trip (he's really not into HP--books or movies), so it's all about give and take (although the recent TV and newsprint sneak peeks around the new HP theme park have finally gotten him excited about it). :yay: We have SoA planned on the same day that we'll go to a water park, as we wouldn't want to do it if it meant leaving one of the main parks to attend. Since this is our first time on the DDP and the first time ever actually staying on Disney property, we thought we'd do some things that we'd never otherwise pay for OOP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter