Special Wednesday Podcast Recording

Discussion in 'The DIS Unplugged Podcast' started by OKW Lover, Mar 22, 2013.

1. skier_pete

skier_pete None

I agree, nothing more annoying than the way that you can be standing watching a show at Disney and have a hundred people (or even just one) holding Ipad's over there heads blocking your view. I feel like saying - I don't really want to watch this show through your iPad, thank you.

So, if you take pictures with your Ipad, please don't hold it over your head.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. GaSleepingBeautyFan

GaSleepingBeautyFan DIS Veteran

I agree. I got to watch the grand opening that was done at Cinderella Castle of New Fantasyland through a womans Ipad because she put it up as soon as it started. I had a great spot to watch it from until she did that.
    I even asked her to put it down so I could see but she rolled her eyes and me and kept holding it up.

So here's my question for the show:

How do you organize all of the cords? Mine get to be such a jumbled mess when I travel.

4. jcb

jcb always emerging from hibernation

This reminds me that I need to go label the pockets in my photographer's vest. I can never find where I put that 67mm circular polarizing filter.

5. k5jmh

k5jmh When Yuba plays the Rumba on his Tuba...

:thumbsup2

6. k5jmh

Jack, you need a Utilikilt.

[​IMG]

7. HollyMac71

HollyMac71 Sucks to have a dull life!

How about cell phones in foreign countries? Do you need to get a sim card or should you get a throw away phone once you get overseas?

:wave2:

8. k5jmh

It depends on what you are trying to do. I turn on international roaming on my phone with the carrier and then purchase a SIM Card (with Data) when I get overseas for my Ipad.

9. jcb

Holly, I do the same thing as Mike. Understand that you must first make sure your phone works overseas. I know most AT&T phones do but can't vouch for anything else. But "turning on international roaming" simply discounts the cost. You still pay an arm and a leg per minute rate to talk on the phone. I also suspect the throw-away phone cost a lot if you are using it to call back to the US. I don't know, though.

If you want to use the phone for data, you'll need to have a phone that will let you switch sim cards or you will pay a ridiculously high rate for data. If you are "under contract" on your phone, odds are you can't switch out the sim card.

As for data, AT&T wants $120 for 800 megabytes of data. I bought an iPad sim card in Rome for €25 that gave me 5 gigabytes of data (and I use all 5 gigabytes too). I think John and Kevin found it slightly cheaper.

10. k5jmh

On Verizon Iphone 5's, the SIM Card Slot is active and is not locked. So in theory, you could also add an ATT or International SIM if you need to. :rolleyes1

11. WebmasterShaun

WebmasterShaun Mouseketeer

Hey folks, unfortunately we've had to postpone our Travel Tech segment so we won't be going live tomorrow. We'll be doing it on a later date though and we'll announce that soon.

Definitely keep your questions and suggestions coming in! You can also email us at podcast@disunplugged.com. Thanks!

12. OKW Lover

OKW Lover Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle. DIS Lifetime Sponsor

Thanks for letting us know.

I presume the delay was so that one of the hosts could go out and buy more technology. :badpc:

13. jcb

Hoping it isn't anything more serious than technical difficulties.

Jack

14. Justin Jett

Justin Jett <font color=darkorchid>I will do my Elvis impressi

Just yesterday....I put a Tmobile SIM in my Verizon 5.

15. Justin Jett

Mike and Pete having technical difficulties????? :lmao:

16. k5jmh

I think it is a "Virtual" issue.

17. Justin Jett

Leo is having similar "Virtual issues" :)

18. mytripsandraces

mytripsandraces DIS Veteran

Did it work, Skip? I've been waiting for TMobile to get the iPhone (I'm still using my 2001 Nokia 5190). Is your Verizon unlocked or are Verizons never locked? Thanks!

19. k5jmh

The SIM Slot on VZW Iphone5's are unlocked. VZW does not use a SIM natively for their CDMA radio.

20. TinkerChelle

TinkerChelle Happy Mommy of 2

Glad I checked here. I just tuned into livestream and nothing. Thought I had hallucinated the email. :rotfl:

21. Justin Jett

As Mike said, the GSM slot on the Verizon 5 is unlocked. I bought a prepaid SIM from Tmobile, as a backup. It worked.