Special treats for anniversaries/birthdays?

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by Eeyore18, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Eeyore18

Eeyore18 Mouseketeer

We just returned from a stay at the GF. We were celebrating our 12th wedding anniversary there, which I mentioned to the CM on arrival. Unfortunately, nothing was done. I know it's not an absolute guarantee, but I thought it would be nice to surprise my husband. Has anyone ever had anything special done for them there?

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. safetymom

safetymom Super Moderator

Yes sometimes magical things happen for guests celebrating an occasion. But if you had wanted something for your anniversary you should have arranged for it. Many many people are celebrating occasions and it would be hard for WDW to accomodate them all.

4. kdibattista

kdibattista <font color=darkorchid>It left an indent the size

Agree 100% with safetymom.... there were probably thousands of people celebrating something special to them and you cannot expect Disney to acknowledge everyone. If you didn't make the effort to have something special arranged, why would you think Disney would? For future reference, there are plenty of places that will help make your special occassion wonderful.... you could order a cake from one of the bakeries, order a gift basket from one of the many companies around (www.disneyflorist.com, www.pixiegifts.com, www.basketsbylori.com, www.theperfectgift.cc). That's what I do each and every trip to make it even more enjoyable (if that's possible ;) )

5. ducklite

ducklite <font color=teal>Take the Poly, it's fabulous!<br>

I have to agree as well. I got blasted on these boards a couple months back for telling people not to expect anything and to make their own arrangements in order to avoid disappointment. As others have said, there are thousands of people celebrating various life events at WDW at any given time, and it's simply financially and staff wise impossible for WDW to do something special for everyone.

We celebrated our anniversary in concierge at the GF one year, and service was so bad we moved after one night. I don't think they would have done anything special for us considering we could barely even get a can of soda pried out of their tight little mitts.

Anne

6. GladysK

GladysK <font color=green>Official DIS Historian<br><font

Make note of it when you MAKE your ressies...that way it's "Official". We did last year and recieved a card and a small gift from the gift shop at AKL in our room . It was a nice gesture, but I was having such a good time ,if I hadn't recieved anything,it didn't matter.:D

7. Eeyore18

Eeyore18 Mouseketeer

Thanks for the advice. That is true that so many people are celebrating events, I guess I must of read it somewhere to let them know. But I guess they can't get to everyone. Just thought alittle magic might come around! We had a great time anyway!

8. hulabird

hulabird DIS Veteran & Planaholic!

I have heard of people receiving special things, like a fruit basket in their room or something, but usually the event was a major one, like celebrating a 30th anniversary. We have always gone on our anniversary and have had that noted on our ressie, but nothing special has happened to us, but we have only been married for 5 years.

9. mrsltg

mrsltg Guest

I have to agree with everyone - better to plan for it yourself. My DD will turn 3 while we're at WDW in December (this is not a coincidence!), and I'll be bringing all kinds of Happy Birthday stuff to decorate the room. I am also going to order a cake because God forbid I expected one and didn't get it and then my DD was left with no birthday cake (of course, as DH points out, maybe she'd forgive us because we took her to WDW for two weeks for her 3rd birthday, but I can see her on the therapists couch over lack of birthday cake!) --- anyway, I digress!

Last year we celebrated our anniversary at WDW. We had mentioned it on our reservations, but nothing ever came of it. However, we had our anniversary dinner at Citrico's and our desserts were presented with chocolate writing on the plate that read "Happy 3rd Anniversary" with chocolate hearts all around. Definitely a nice touch!!!

Bottom line, though, is if you want it, go ahead and pay for it this way you make sure it happens!

Erin :D

10. sugarplumsmom

sugarplumsmom Always a Disney Dreamer

We have stayed at Value, Mods, and the Poly. My DD got a card from Mickey and Minnie for her birthday (Value and Mod), we got roses and card when we got married at Sunset Point (Value and Deluxe resort) and last year when we stayed at the Poly LV Conceirge for our anniversary and DD birthday we had cake for her birthday and balloons with a card, and strawberries with champagne for our anniversary.

However, we go 3-4 times a year and on SEVERAL occasions have had no acknowledgement of special events. It is a nice surprise when and if it happens, so I never count on it.

If we really want some "acknowledgement", I always book a character meal for DD birthday and then she gets her cake/cupcake and card and isn't disappointed. We don't always book a special meal for our anniversary but when we have, we have received a card or dessert.....

Otherwise, we just LIVE to be there and if I was a zillionaire, I would live there!!!

(Why can't I win that POWERBALL!!!!)

Laura

11. Dalpal

Dalpal <font color=ff00cc>Has a brand new granddaughter!<

We stayed at the YC on our 30th Ann. in July.
    I made sure they knew it when I made the res.

I also told any CM at the restruants we went to during our week that we were enjoying an Ann. trip for the week.

At the R&C they gave us our coffees free and at the Le cellier they gave us free dessert.

The YC had strawbarries and champaine for us one night when we got back to our room and on another night there was a really cute card and a pin.

But I told them every time I got on the phone with res. to change or check on our res. before we went.

Also we had help with our plans from a wonderful person working at the YC.
    I dont know how much of it was from the YC itself and how much of it was from that person, but it was the most wonderful Ann. vacation we ever had.

My best advice is to tell any CM you see about it. We also had t-shirts that said it was our 30th ANN.

12. sandbar

sandbar <font color=purple>Every day is an adventure to pu

When I made my ressie I mentioned it was for our 25th anniversary. She was so sweet and said there would be something special in the room for us when we arrived. Yikes! Was she setting us up for disappointment if there ends up to be nothing there? Maybe she shouldn't have sounded so definite when I talked to her. It doesn't really matter. Either way, we are going to have the best time just because we will be in Disney! :D

13. Mike_in_FL

Mike_in_FL Mouseketeer

We stayed at AKL concierge and Poly LV concierge this summer for our 10th anniversary. At AKL we received a beautifully decorated cake one evening, while at the Poly we received nothing. We really appreciated the thoughtfulness of the AKL staff, but we will not be holding a grudge against the Poly!! I imagine it depends on a number of factors, including how busy the resort is, how many other guests are celebrating special events, which CMs you deal with etc.

In any event, I wish everyone a magical vacation!

Mike

14. Sandi

Sandi A proud Spartans fan.

We're celebrating our 13th Anniversary and our DD's 9th bd when we're there in October. It is noted on our reservation. I'm not expecting anything and I'm making plans for our celebrations. I'm hopeful that the CM who checks us in will with my DD a happy birthday because she would think that is cool. Otherwise, I don't expect anything and will be pleasantly surprised with anything tangible or not.

15. ducklite

ducklite <font color=teal>Take the Poly, it's fabulous!<br>

The AKL concierge is well known for their treats. That is one place that you are almost guaranteed a special something (usually a cake) to celebrate a life event.

Heck they even send Christmas Cards, and have called on our birthdays and anniversaries without fail since the first time we stayed there!

The others seem to be hit and miss at best.

Anne

16. Jen D

Jen D DIS Veteran

It really does seem to be hit or miss, and I agree that if you want something done, plan it yourself. We did get pleasantly surprised on our first trip. We were at the Boardwalk Villas. We were celebrating an anniversary and my child's birthday. We never actually told Disney this because I don't know, I guess it isn't our style. But the wonderful person (from these boards) who I rented points from must have told them, because my daughter got a signed Cinderella pic and a balloon, and a pin lanyard, and we got a balloon and a Mickey-Minnie frame. Our dvc friend also sent us a welcome gift, a plush for my daughter. We had almost cancelled our trip because we were coming from NYC about 10 days after 9/11 and we felt bad about leaving, but finally decided to take the trip. I think maybe our friend might have asked them to sprinkle a little extra pixie dust for this reason.

I know I'm going off topic but I've never shared this nice story on the boards. Dis'ers take care of eachother!

17. nicurnc

nicurnc Mouseketeer

Twice we were remembered by the staff for occasions-
    Once for our 25th anniversary they sent a bouquet of peach colored roses, a basket with fruit, nuts and chocolates and a split of champagne. This was at the GF.
    At the WL the staff signed a cute birthday card for my husband and sent it to the room with balloons, a stuffed Mickey toy and a cake. The kids were joking in the lobby about "Daddy turning 21...again!" The card was signed "Happy 21st!!"

We have been there many other times and ususally to celebrate an occasion, but these were the only times we had something done for us. But that is part of what makes it so magical, not expecting it;)

Besides, if they had to make a big deal out of every little happening, it would start to be like those annoying restaurant "Happy Birthday Songs":( Man, I really hate it when that happens!LOL!

Loretta

18. LKS

LKS DIS Veteran

We had a big trip last year to celebrate two special occasions, and there was nothing from the resort, but I took care of it myself by ordering a huge Mickey Character Cookie Bouquet that they got into the room by the time we checked in.

My husband celebrated the big four-oh on Father's Day last year and he got a card from the Captain of our Illuminations cruise and a birthday cake big enough for all of us at our Teppanyaki Dinner.

Later that week on our 15th anniversary, we booked the chef's table at V&A but nothing unexpected happened there either. I just felt we had booked our own special treat.

19. kdibattista

where did you order the cookie bouquet from? That's sound so cool!!!!!

20. Janet2k

Janet2k DIS Veteran

Kdibattista, I'm not LKS, but I did a quick search of the Internet for you in regards to companies that sell cookie bouquets:
    Cookies by Design (this one is the most well-known)
    FTD.com (famous for flowers but also sells cookie bouquets)
    Disney Florist (I bet they could arrange something for you)

21. kdibattista

I can't wait to check those out!!!