special tours/events

kitkat4622

DIS Veteran
I am looking to do something special this trip with my 17 year old grandson (he is intellectually challenged) I am leaning towards the Wild Africa Trek but looking for feedback on special tours or events that you did that you would recommend and why. We are already doing Hoop Dee Do Review but I was looking for something that would be on a much smaller group level. thanks

Would both of you be up for the physical activity involved in the Wild Africa Trek? I haven't done that tour, but make sure you read reviews here as well as the "Know Before You Go" information on the Disney website.

Another small group experience I'd recommend is the Savor the Savanna safari tour. When I went, I was the only person in my tour group, but I think they accommodate up to 8-12 people. My review is posted here.

Would tours that last several hours be something he's interested in?
I know attention span can be a challenge for some mentally challenged people.
Some of the tours are several hours long with lots of standing around.

I do agree with PP that Savor the Savanna was an excellent tour. Wouldn't hesitate to do it again
Club Villain is awesome, if it's being held during your trip. Lots going on, much less standing around

I have done two tours at Walt Disney World. Both have been absolutely worth it.

My favorite tour I have done is by far the Wild Africa Trek. It was a great way to get up close with some animals, and you learn a lot more than you would if you just go on the safari. The only difficult part is the rope bridges. The planks you step on are sometimes a lot further apart than you might think. They designed it to look like they are "old" rope bridge. They do have rope right below and you are tied to a cable above, so it is safe. It still freaked me out having to sometimes step what felt like a yard to a little more just to reach another plank. It is also not guaranteed to see every animal. I went close to the end of the morning/afternoon, and we did not see the lions. This tour is worth the price, and I will definitely do it again.

The other tour I have done has been the Steam Train Tour at the Magic Kingdom (This tour might not be offered when you are there due to the upcoming refurbishment of the railroad. I'm not sure when the refurbishment ends). This was also a fabulous tour and one I would do again. If you plan it for a day that doesn't have extra magic hours at the Magic Kingdom, we got into the park about 15 minutes before it opened, and we got some really great photos of Main Street with no one on it (This could change since the Welcome Show is now at the castle instead of at the train station). You then go back to where they keep the trains, and you get to go inside the locomotive. Afterwards, you travel back to the Main Street Train Station where they talk about the history of the Walt Disney World Railroad and Walt Disney's love for trains.

How about planning a few hours at Fort wilderness? You don't need a tour or reservations and it is free. Take him to see the horses at the barn. I think there are are also pony rides for a fee. I remember years ago my sons enjoyed the low key, slower pace of visiting over there. You could also rent a golf cart and drive around the Fort W area. Kids Love golf cart rides! When we walked the trail between Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness, we saw lots of wildlife including several deer and a whole family of baby ducks.

We did Wild Africa Trek in 2015 when DS was 8. He loves animals, but it was a little long for him. It is a really in-depth safari experience and the guides talk a lot (you wear an ear piece). You know your grandson best. If you think it would hold his interest, go for it.

We've also done Pirates and Pals which is a smaller experience than Hoop De Doo. It starts at the Contemporary with a huge dessert buffet and a visit from Capt. Hook and Smee. They then split the group in half and take everyone out on 2 boats (which hold, maybe 40 people?). You see Wishes fireworks, play pirate trivia games and meet Peter Pan at the end. It's super fun!

I also created a progressive monorail event for my DS9 on our last trip which was a lot of fun and it was just the two of us. We started at the Poly at 4 pm and went to Trader Sam's to see the hijinks when everyone ordered the special drinks (he and I order non-alcoholic beverages which were only $4.99 each!). We then hopped on the monorail to Grand Floridian (the gingerbread house was up then, so we visited and bought a cookie). We then continued on our journey to Contemporary for dinner at Cali Grill which is delicious and the view is stunning. You can see Wishes from there (if you have a later dinner) and you can also see the DHS and EP fireworks from there as well! We had a 5:50 pm reservation and actually saw the Star Wars fireworks from there. We topped off our night with the Wishes Dessert Pary with Plaza viewing which was amazing. The desserts were great and the view from the plaza area was fantastic. We stood at the back railing and no one was in front of us or even to our sides so there was literally no crowd to see Wishes where we were. It was amazing. Anyway - just wanted to throw this idea out there to let you know you can also plan your own special event if a group one doesn't appeal. You could do this at EP as well with an private Illuminations cruise and, perhaps, dinner somewhere in EP or the Boardwalk. You could even start off with some mini-golf at Fantasia!

thank you for all the great feedback, as far as budget it is not unlimited..LOL

Would tours that last several hours be something he's interested in?

I don't think either of us would want a tour that was several hours long...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter