special diets

yinandyang

Earning My Ears
Has anyone ever cruised with a child on a very specialized diet?

I have a 9 year old daughter with MSUD who is on a strict low protein diet.
I am most worried that she will be given food while in the kids club that she shouldn't have (she will accept anything that is given to her even though she knows she shouldn't have it). I don't want to lose 1-2 days with a sick child in the hospital.

The first thing you need to do if you have planned a cruise is to let DCL know of your daughter's dietary needs. You do this by filling out a medical form and faxing it to DCL. You also let the counselors know at the Lab that she is not to be given any food. They don't usually have food in the Lab except for scheduled events such as cookie making or pizza parties. Just plan to not have your participate in those events or meals with the Lab.

As far as dinner, you will be in touch with the Head Server. They will touch base with you at every meal so that your daughter can pick her meal for the next night and it can be prepared according to her dietary restrictions.

My neighbor is on a very strict low sodium diet and DCL was great with him last year in preparing his meals especially for his diet.

The above is absolutely correct. You will note the food issues on both the medical form and on the child information form. Then, when you check in at the terminal or at the port, restate to the CM the need that your daughter NOT be given ANY food during the programming and your intention to pick her up before meals. Always go to the club or lab about 15 minutes before the "transition time" for meals. She can finish her activity while you wait.

The reason for this is that I've seen them start to line the kids up before the stated transition time, and once they start, you can't get your kid till the entire transition is over. I know it's a safety thing, but it's a real pain when your child is insisting that she's not supposed to go to dinner with the group and mom shows up 5 minutes before "transition" only to spend the next 20 minutes following the group around to reclaim her child! I wasn't happy...seems to me that the times should be followed...but......that's not your point here.

There are very few activities involving food. They are noted on the Navigator.

DCL is absolutely GREAT about food issues.

Your Server at dinner on the first night should also ask you if there are any dietary restrictions. If they don't tell them as well...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter