Special assistance for Down's child?

mob

Earning My Ears
Hi,
We will be traveling in a large group, 5 adults and 4 children aged 2.5, 3, 10 and 5 (Down's child, developmentally about 2). We would qualify for that special pass? He's a love, but doesn't speak yet and communicates best with mom and dad via some signing. Although he can walk, he'll spend most of the time in a stroller becuase he's an escape artist and also gets leg pain from too much activity.

We want everytone to be able to enjoy the trip, but waiting in long lines with this child may not be possible. Thanks for any advice you can offer,
mob

Welocme.
you probably already saw this thread, Guest Assistance thread, but it is packed with information.
The card used to be called a Special Assistance Pass, but they changed the name about a year ago to Guest Assitance Card. Having it called a PASS made some people think that using it gave immediate front of the line service. It says right on the card that it does not give immediate ride access and is not meant to bypass lines. The card also says you will be expected to use fastpass as much as possible.
The CMs at guest Services are the ones who decide if you get a card and what message your card will have on it. You need to know what assistance you will need (like what problems will the lines pose to you) and be able to explain it to a CM. What you wrote is a good start. At the very least, you shouls ask to have the stroller treated as a wheelchair. That would allow the stroller to be brought into lines and buildings where strollers are not usually allowed. That would help to keep your little escape artist contained and also let him rest his legs.
The card they give you will be good for your entire stay. If you find that you need more assistance than the first card they give you provides, you can go back to Guest Services, explain your problems and hopefully get a more helpful card.ÿ

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

Mob,
keep reading the threads on the first 2 pages of this board, I know that you will find lots of information. The GAC is just what you need, especially for using the stroller as wheelchair if needed in queues.

Feel free to ask questions!!

galc.gif

"My brain takes a vacation just to give my heart more room..."
teri@iluvdisney.com

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter