Spaceship Earth Rehab (Update)

Discussion in 'Disney Rumors and News' started by elwise1966, Oct 20, 2006.

1. elwise1966

elwise1966 What's this Tag Fairy I keep hearing about?

I hear from a friend that lives in Florida that Spaceship Earth got a new sponsor (AT&T he thought) and that the ride will close December 2007 for refurbishment for the new sponsor. :sad1:

Has anyone else heard this or can confirm it? :confused3

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. DancingBear

DancingBear DIS Veteran

The new sponsor is Siemens. Other than redoing the area at the exit of the ride (behind SE as you approach it from Epcot entrance), and changing the end of the ride where the sponsor is highlighted, I'm not sure what else is known about changes resulting from the new sponsorship.

4. MJMcBride

MJMcBride Barely lost is barely found

The new sponsor is Sieman's and I believ they are already redoing the plaza after you disembark. As for closing the ride, I do not know.

5. elwise1966

elwise1966 What's this Tag Fairy I keep hearing about?

Just found an older thread discussing this. Sorry...I should have searched first.

So it looks as if it will remain basically the same ride, with maybe a few scene changes then.

6. tww369

tww369 Mouseketeer

I was there in August and along with the obvious signs of work being done to the ride part ofthe exit hallway was blocked off, a CM told me that engineers had been showing up daily they are working to update to ride. none of the CM's have been told what is was planned so far

7. OnceUponAStar*

OnceUponAStar* Future Imagineer :-)

Siemens is the new sponser and they are re doing the area by the exit. AT&T was the sponser of Spaceship Earth before Siemens.

8. mitros

mitros <font color=red>I'm not nuts, I just appear to be<

We were there last Monday, no start date as of then........

9. 2angelsinheaven

2angelsinheaven Loves making dreams come true!

Correct it's Siemens and I've heard they will redo everything from the room with the two kids on the laptops till the end of the ride and into the exit area.

10. Luv2Roam

Luv2Roam Dexter: Takes Life. Seriously.

Love the ride. But the update is a welcome change! :banana:

11. genealle

genealle Mouseketeer

Didn't SE get a remodel just a couple of years ago?

12. mitros

mitros <font color=red>I'm not nuts, I just appear to be<

Just wondering where you heard that. :confused3 :)

13. Luv2Roam

Luv2Roam Dexter: Takes Life. Seriously.

IF there was a remodel, wasn't it basically the removal of anything relating to AT&T? :confused3

14. crazy4wdw

crazy4wdw DIS Veteran

The following info. is from Walt Disney World's media site. It's rumored that the ride portion of Spaceship Earth will be closing in June for an extensive rehab and then reopening sometimes in November. There is nothing on the Disney web site that confirmes this info. yet.

15. bartleby1

bartleby1 DIS Veteran

I just read about this on another site too. I'm so disappointed. I realize that rides need updating and refurbs, and I am excited to see what they will do for SSE. However, there are so few rides in Epcot that little ones can go on so I'm a little sad for my 2 year old. I know she would have enjoyed it. SSE was also a favorite of my 4 yr old last year.

We'll still have a great trip, but SSE will be missed!

16. WI_DisneyFan

WI_DisneyFan DIS Veteran

Thanks for the info. I'm with bartleby1 - SSE is one of my favorite rides in all of WDW, and it looks like I'll be missing it this September. But what are you going to do? You won't see any "Haunted Mansion" type outcry from me. I know they aren't scheduling this to mess with me, so I'll just enjoy the rest of my trip and look forward to seeing the changes the next time I'm there.

17. ChrisFL

ChrisFL Disney/Universal Fan and MALE

That is reminsicent of Horizons, sounds quite interesting!

18. kjkcool

kjkcool <font color=deeppink>Mouseketeer<br><font color=bl

As long as I never get stuck in it again while the car is going down a hill backwards and all the blood gushes to my head for 15 minutes strait making me almost unconcious, it's all good!:thumbsup2 :lmao: Update it as much as you want!:thumbsup2 :lmao:

19. mrsR123

mrsR123 Mourns her Tag Fairy tag. :-(

I'm in favor of keeping Epcot attractions up to date, so I'm cautiously optimistic. (Well, I'd like to be, but really, I'll just fervently hope that they don't screw this up!)

I hope that this "picture yourself in that reality" is more than just a stupid photo sales gimmick. I don't have much hope that it will be.

I'm also not too sure that I like this shift from communication to the emphasis on "each generation influencing the next." It seems like just a good excuse to include Siemens technology that isn't communications related. (As in, what do accident avoidance systems-- although important innovations-- have to do with communication?)

I'll be sad not to hear Jeremy Irons.

20. DancingBear

DancingBear DIS Veteran

I still miss Walter Cronkite.

21. raidermatt

raidermatt Beware of the dark side. Anger...fear...aggressio

I'm not opposed to updating, but it is scary when they mess with the biggies.

If they screw this up it will get a lot more negative reaction than Stitch's Great Escape ever could.

I'm also bummed if Jeremy Irons isn't going to be doing the narration, but it did only say there would be new narration, not a new narrator. Perhaps they will bring him back for the update?

The rumored timing is a concern as well. The HM is already closed all summer, now they might close SE all summer? Those are two of the most popular rides on property.