Space Shuttle

JB4KIDS

Earning My Ears
Hi we will be down in Orlando for the launch of the space shuttle on June 8th.Can anybody give me tips where to see the launch>I would be willing to drive down the Beeline to see it Thank you for your responses

Either:

1. Get a car pass, which will allow you to take your car to a viewing site within KSC. See here for details. These go quite quick so do it soon.

2. Buy a bus ticket for a bus which goes to the same launch site from the KSC visitor centre. See KSC's web site for details. (Tickets can be bought online.

3. View from outside KSC anywhere alongside the Indian River by highway 1 in the Titusville area. When we saw the Feb 7th launch, we drove East on Highway 50 until its end at the junction with highway 1. On this corner is a Walgreen's pharmacy and there was free parking in a grassy field behind the store (entrance on highway 50 just before the junction. We then walked across the road, climbed the low wall and sat on a small beach by Indian River to watch the launch.

The advantage of 1 and 2 is that you get the closest you can get (about 6 or 7 miles) and they have the official commentary on loudspeakers so you know what's going on.

The advantage of 1 and 3 is that if the launch is scrubbed or delayed, it hasn't cost you any money except for the gas used to get there.

Viewing from Titusville is about 10 miles away, so its not that much further than the KSC site and the view is still fantastic (much better than you would think at that distance)

Whatever you do, aim to arrive early to allow for heavy traffic and to find a viewing spot if going to Titusville.

Get there if you can - it's an experience not to be missed.

Thanks for all of the information! We are also going to be there for the June 8th launch and can't wait to see it:)

How do you find out when the launches are?
Staci

1980, 86,91,96,98 - off site
2000 - 7 day Cruise
May 2001 Cypress Harbour

we viewed a launch with the bus ticket in december. it was a long ways from the launch site. while it was awesome, i would have some good binoculars and be prepared for unbelievable traffic after the launch(from the ksc visitor center it took 1.5hrs to go 6 miles!!). if i had it to do over, i would view the launch from titusville before or after eating at "the dixie crossroads" which was the best meal we had on our entire vacation to wdw,usf,and ksc. have fun!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!