Space Shuttle Launches Viewing Tips? Etc?

You know.........I could be wrong, but, I would THINK that the downtown disney balloon ride may offer a special ride for the launch that is timed appropriately. That is, IF it launches. Many times it is scrubbed just before takeoff.

Ooooh... There is no smiley cool enough for that one.

We got lucky! In May when the shuttle launched we just happened to be at Hollywood Studios and went to see the Lights Motor show and they told us to stay in our seats after for the shuttle launch. They put it on the big screen and it was pretty neat! :)

When I was there in 2005, I saw a launch from Tomorrowland. I was standing back from Space Mtn. Can't remember if I was more towards the railing for the Speedway or (AE) Stitch. It looked like the big bolt of fire and smoke arching towards the sky coming straight up behind SM. It was really cool. I always wondered if the park was laid out that way on purpose so that the launches would go up over Tomorrowland.

We watched it once in the area right in front of Mission Space. Very cool watching it come up over the back of the MS attraction. :) One of the highlights of my trip!!!

As the Cape is some 50+- miles east of WDW, your chances of actually seeing the space shuttle go up (assuming there are no launch issues) are soley dependant on the amount of cloud cover between WDW and the Cape.

You may only get a fleeting glimpse of the shuttle at best and possibly virtually none at all due to the clouds.

Best bet is to drive over to Titusville to get the best view unless you have a Launch Tour from one of the local tour companies (eg: Gator Tours) and view it from the NASA Causeway about 5.5/6 miles south of Launch Complex 39.

As the Cape is some 50+- miles east of WDW, your chances of actually seeing the space shuttle go up (assuming there are no launch issues) are soley dependant on the amount of cloud cover between WDW and the Cape.

You may only get a fleeting glimpse of the shuttle at best and possibly virtually none at all due to the clouds.

Best bet is to drive over to Titusville to get the best view unless you have a Launch Tour from one of the local tour companies (eg: Gator Tours) and view it from the NASA Causeway about 5.5/6 miles south of Launch Complex 39.

I saw Discovery launch in Oct '07 from Fantasyland, and it was visible for a several minutes.

-Kevin

I just got causeway tickets for DS 9 and myself for the Feb 7 launch. We can't wait. We are coming over from Australia. :cheer2:

Its gotta be disney imagineering. MIssion Space. Sit yourself up near the monorail looking at Mission Space..it will launch near the peak of the arch on the left. Very cool..got to see it in november, first one I ever saw.

I was on the phone this morning buying tickets for the Shuttle launch on the 7th. We managed to get the Visitor Center viewing and not the causeway. I have one more possiblity to get the causeway viewing but if that doesn't pan out we'll just stick with the Visitor Center.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that it goes on time. It's already been pushed back from the 4th and the 7th is our going home day. Our flight doesn't leave until 2:15 so I'm hoping it all works out.

I was on the phone this morning buying tickets for the Shuttle launch on the 7th. We managed to get the Visitor Center viewing and not the causeway. I have one more possiblity to get the causeway viewing but if that doesn't pan out we'll just stick with the Visitor Center.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that it goes on time. It's already been pushed back from the 4th and the 7th is our going home day. Our flight doesn't leave until 2:15 so I'm hoping it all works out.

I know what you mean we leave on the 8th.
:worship:

Hope it works out for both of you!

We are flying into Sanford on Feb 4th and doing the Kennedy Space Center on the 5th. We were kind of hoping to see it, but because it is launch so early in the moring (4:30 I think) it would be hard to do with two young kids. We do not fly out until the 14th so maybe we will get lucky and it will launch later in the day.

I didn't spend enough time looking through this thread but does anyone have any pics of the shuttle going up?

James

I'd like to watch the March 18th Shuttle closer than Orlando but don't want to get into the frenzy of traffic and crowds like Titusville. We can't get there early enough on that day to beat the crowds and have ARDs back at Disney that night so don't want to get locked into a traffic jam. The scheduled lift off is 1:34 pm. Does anyone know of an intermediate location east of Orlando but short of Titusville?

I we have to, we can take a chance on seeing it from our campsite at Fort Wilderness.

I've never been before, but I'm wondering how early to arrive at Space View Park in Titusville for a 4:30am launch this Sunday morning. It's a night launch, so I think that makes it more popular, but it's scheduled for about 4:30am, so I'm not sure how many people are going to drag themselves out in the middle of the night. My plan was was hit the road at about midnight (Titusville is about an hour away from where we'll be).

Thoughts?

I can't help with when to leave but I will say that one thing you have going for you is that the Superbowl may pull some of the spectators from the launch and lower the crown levels.

I thought the president has pretty much grounded the space shuttle program for now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter