Space Shuttle Launches Viewing Tips? Etc?

BREAKING NEWS!!

Space Shuttle Atlantis Launch Date pushed back from Nov. 12 to Nov. 16 according to NASA to make clear a window for the lauch of an Ares Rocket.

Bummer, we were looking forward to seeing it too. Oh well.

BREAKING NEWS!!

Space Shuttle Atlantis Launch Date pushed back from Nov. 12 to Nov. 16 according to NASA to make clear a window for the lauch of an Ares Rocket.

What time is it it scheduled for?

We saw one launch from the flag pole area at MK. We saw a night launch from the bus going back to OKW from Epcot. The driver had just left Epcot and was just driving over the bridge that goes over World Drive towards OKW and pointed it out to us. Big bright light in the sky.

BREAKING NEWS!!

That's too bad for you guys however great news for us. Now we'll make a point of trying to see this from the parks. That's our MK day, we'll have to be watching the clock.

Can anybody recommend the best spot to watch the launch from AK? Of all the parks, this seems like it would be the most difficult with the tall unpruned trees and few flat open spaces.

I'm hoping we can catch the one in February. There is a SS Endeavor scheduled for Feb 5+. I'll go for less of the "+" as we're leaving on the 7th. :)

I don't know about "the best spot" but I do know that at EPCOT, the launches will rise almost right out of the middle of Mission Space. We caught a launch in January.

We didn't know if you'd be able to even see it, but we asked a cast member at EPCOT that day, and he said that yes, you could see it, and to watch over the Mission Space building. There were quite a few other people standing around waiting, and sure enough, there it was!

This would be me and my "OMG!" face pointing at the trail left behind:
jie6f9.jpg

At AK, just find a clear area that looks directly eastward. Keep buying cracker jacks until you get a mini compass, your kids will love it. :thumbsup2:cool1::banana:

For anyone that will be in the area next week.

The Ares I-X test rocket is scheduled to be launched Tuesday Oct 27 @ 8am.

The launch window is from 8am-12pm and it's just going to launch and parachute back to the ocean to test the launch vehicle.

It looks like the shuttle my launch this year while we're at WDW, specifically on the day we planned to go to epcot. Are there good areas to see it go up from the world? Its a mid afternoon launch. I know I've seen some pics from the Wilderness Lodge of one going up.

Just bought my launch tickets for the 16th! Looks like I need to plan a VERY last minute trip...trying to stay on Disney property and then just drive to KSC the day of the launch

You know.........I could be wrong, but, I would THINK that the downtown disney balloon ride may offer a special ride for the launch that is timed appropriately. That is, IF it launches. Many times it is scrubbed just before takeoff.

You know.........I could be wrong, but, I would THINK that the downtown disney balloon ride may offer a special ride for the launch that is timed appropriately.

Just remember to DUCK!

;)

We were able to see the launch from AK on the bridge heading into Africa and Safari area... looking towards EE I believe. At was at closing of the parks.. we did not know anything about it until others were gathering to watch! It was a great end to our day at AK!

Looking foward to the 16th!

:)

Just remember to DUCK!

;)

Ha! you got that right! You know, I've seen many things in my 30 years, but when I saw that for the first time a few weeks ago, I was absolutely amazed. I never figured that thing went that high.

It goes so high we were in Epcot over near Canada and sure enough there goes the balloon up in the air. Amazing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter