1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

Space Mountain, news on new seats?

Discussion in 'Disneyland Paris Trip Planning & Community Board' started by JustJonathan, Apr 6, 2013.

1. JustJonathan

JustJonathan Mouseketeer

Does anyone know when the new seats are meant to be fitted to Space Mountain, or if they already have been?

I've heard the new seats are meant to stop the knocking of your head a LOT which is very positive as it really makes the ride a one off here and there due to the headaches you get coming off of it.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Jules1212

Jules1212 Mouseketeer

Hi Jonathon. We were there last week and rode SM a few times. I didn't notice any difference from last year myself. But DD rode once last year and chose not to again on that trip due to the head rattling (she loves areosmith RNR coaster). But she found it a bit better on this trip and rode every time.

Maybe we were just more aware and made sure we kept our heads back against the headrest more?

4. cinderslg

cinderslg Mouseketeer

The head shaking really puts me of SM, no matter how hard i try to keep my head back i come of with a headache :sad2:

5. JustJonathan

JustJonathan Mouseketeer

Doesn't sound like they have been then :) - They are meant to be whole new trains/harnesses with a lot more head room so you don't whack your head side to side.

6. Jonjo

Jonjo Mouseketeer

Vekoma ride tested new hydraulic harness for SM last year. Apparently the tests went very well, but there is still no news on when or if these harness will be fitted to the ride.

I guess the only time we will know if these hydraulic harness are going to be installed is when it is announced that SM will be close for a refurbishment for a few weeks.

7. Steve vRS

Steve vRS Mouseketeer

It's the 'roughness' of the ride that I like. It makes it stand out amongst the other tame attractions.

Steve

8. JustJonathan

JustJonathan Mouseketeer

I don't see why anyone would enjoy having their head smashed from side to side? I've often come off the ride with headaches.

RnR achieves a good, fast-paced ride without this, as well as many other coasters in the UK. It's simply down to old carriages.

9. Jonjo

Jonjo Mouseketeer

More importantly it's down to wear and tear on the track.

10. tennisfan

tennisfan <font color=blue>Was told off for sliding down the Moderator

You have to bear in mind that RnR is a much newer ride so will be smoother it is also down to the design of the ride including the track.

11. JustJonathan

JustJonathan Mouseketeer

Oh I realize both points above.

What I'm saying is the test they did on the new seats were apparently a lot, lot better so it's surprising they haven't pushed to get them in ASAP.

I wonder how long a coaster like SM can stay running before it needs new tracks here and there?

12. Jonjo

Jonjo Mouseketeer

It's probably down to cost, it's not going to be cheap to install new trains on the ride. After the tests that were carried out by Vekoma to retrofit new hydraulic harness to one the rides trains it was determined that the existing trains were not large enough to safely accommodate them.

So it would take another major refurbishment of the ride as new trains would need to be installed with the on-board audio system. Either the old SOBAT system taken out of the existing trains, or a new one installed into new trains greatly increasing the cost of the refurbishment.

Vekoma make their coasters to last, but sections of track to wear out from time to time and these sections are replaced when required.

13. ukool

ukool Mouseketeer

I really didnt enjoy this ride, and i love thrill rides. Way to painfull, if they did put new seats on id give it another go though. RRC is great, why cant space mountain be the same :/

14. Jonjo

Jonjo Mouseketeer

Your right, I've only ridden SM once as I have found it very rough. RRC on the other and is lovely and smooth.

15. jillrobinson

jillrobinson DIS Veteran

In 2010 a couple of weeks after my one and only ride on SM I developed a form of vertigo BPPV usually associated with head trauma, my consultant didn't discount that SM could have been responsible as I could think of no other possible cause. Needless to say I won't be riding it again.

16. Disneyfanswicklow

Disneyfanswicklow Disney Fanatic!

lol was reading this thread and thinking what are they talking about :confused3.....then realised every time I have ridden it has been winter and I have been wearing big warm hood with hat on top - sure my head was probably wedged into headrest :rotfl: