Soy Allergy/Dairy Free Milk Shake Question

stackyallred

DIS Veteran
Can anyone tell me if all the fries at WDW will be off limits with a soy allergy?

Also, does anyone know what the dairy free milk shakes are made from? If it is from Tofrutti, the soy still makes it off limits for me. However, I think the rice dream milk will work... just not sure yet if I can handle rice dream ice cream due to the the soy lecithin (apparently some people with a soy allergy can handle this... I am still trying to figure this all out! :scared1:).

I am also allergic to wheat, peanut, egg and highly intolerant of dairy, garlic, coffee and flax seed. I am just trying to figure out what I might be able to have on our upcoming trip (which is my first with knowledge of all these fun allergies). I am bummed to find that so many options that were free of my allergens (such as the Ener-G brand) are no longer available.

Thanks for any help you can give to someone who has spent the last ten years eating whatever she liked at WDW. Hey, at least I can still ride all the rides, right?! :thumbsup2

Last I heard, yes the fries contain soy.

Dairy free milkshakes can be made with either Tofutti or Rice Dream ice creams and soy milk or rice milk (Pacific brand last time I checked). These will be prepared on the same mixer so ask questions of the chef who will be preparing the milkshake to determine your comfort level of the cleaning procedures.

With your allergens, unfortunately all of the breads I believe will be off limits because of the eggs. I haven't checked for sure but I suspect that the allergy chicken tenders contain garlic. I believe that the Enjoy Life products will be safe but I haven't checked for flax seed or coffee for that matter (coffee can sometime enhance chocolate baked goods so I'd read the ingredients). TS restaurants will be able to customize foods for you but CS will be much more difficult. I have no idea if garlic is used for things like the rotisserie chicken or ribs or even on the hamburgers (which would be eaten bunless). Since you'll be staying at Pop and AoA where they have large food courts with lots of options and ability for chefs to prepare foods, I'd probably plan for TS lunches in the parks and CS dinners at your resort while just eating breakfasts that I packed for quick breakfast in the morning. Chefs at Pop have always had a lot of ability to prepare safe meals for us since they have lots of ingredients to work with (one of my favourite meals from all our our trips is a shrimp lo main chef Dan made for me with gluten free pasta and lots of fresh veggies). Of course I think Mickey waffles may actually be safe so the chefs could cook you some up for breakfast in the food courts. I'll be posting an AoA allergy review when I get back in the end of August. I expect them to be similar to Pop.

Babycakes at DTD should have a bunch of baked goods that are safe for you.

I am just trying to figure out what I might be able to have on our upcoming trip (which is my first with knowledge of all these fun allergies).

We're also planning our first trip since I was diagnosed with multiple adult onset food allergies.

You should try the rice milk at home first, then if you have a reaction you won't be doing it on vacation. I can handle the rice milk, but soy was one of my lowest allergy responses.

Thank you, clanmcculloch for the info you gave. I appreciate it! I was afraid that the fries would be off limits. Darn! :sad2: At least I will be forced to eat healthy! I will be very much looking forward to Babycakes and will probably buy a few things on our first night to take as desserts for later in the week.

Chelley00, I will definitely be trying a lot of the allergy-free items they offer before we go so I can know how I react to them. I am going to try and make it as worry free as I can (if that is possible with allergies!).

Thanks to both of you :goodvibes

Do they actually have a soy ingredient in the fries? I thought I read somewhere that they use corn oil?

I just posted on another thread last night that I finally got a slightly useful response back from special diets. This is all subject to change, but I doubt they switch major vendors frequently.
You will not be able to eat any of the bread they have on property unless you pick a place that has something unusual in stock. (http://udisfood.com/ is their bread vendor now)
They are stocking OMG products, which you won't be able to have either. From reviews, their brownies seem to be the gluten free standard TS dessert right now. (http://omgitsglutenfree.com/ they are egg happy)
The popcorn brand they are using- you would need to check each flavor, they use a non-dairy butter flavor but do not list ingredients on the website. (some do contain dairy cheese) http://www.rockymountainpopcorn.com/about_us.asp
These are the current Jelly Beans http://www.surfsweets.com/products_jellybeans.php
Then the Enjoy life- all products are top 8 free, you may want to check for coffee and flax seed. http://www.enjoylifefoods.com/index.php#page=page-1

This is what people often say is the allergy waffle mix- http://www.bobsredmill.com/gf_pancake-mix.html?&cat=15

As for the soy lecithin- If you aren't having life threatening reactions at this point, you may want to test the lecithin (and probably xanthan gum too)
To be really basic with it- soy oil is a byproduct that contains little or none of the protein you are allergic to. Soy lecithin is non-protein byproduct of that oil. Even people with very severe allergies are often good with the lecithin. Xanthan gum is a similar sort of situation, but can be from either corn or soy. These products are so far removed from the original product they are usually not even labeled. Good luck even finding out what kind of Xanthan gum you are looking at! Buying it pure they don't even tell you! (they ignore it for the purposes of listing allergens)

Interesting tidbit about gluten free containing eggs- my husband recently discovered that the best egg substitutes (ener-g included) react to tapioca flour and can't be used along side it! So that is why gluten free/egg free is such a bad combination.

My son has dairy allergies, I never thought about getting him a milkshake. Where do they make these dairy free versions?

I've had dairy free milkshakes at:
TS: 50s Prime Time Cafe, Sci-Fi Dine-In Theatre, The Plaza
CS: Pop food court, POFQ food court, POR food court
I also got a milk free rootbeer float the the Plaze ice cream parlour; they can probably make milkshakes here as well as they do have the ingredients and access to The Plaza's kitchen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter