Souvies, Halloween, MHP, and Other Updates

We had so much fun at the party. We did the Blue Bayou dinner package, and vlogged it. Also periscoped the parade. Loved the Headless Horseman and the parade, and of course, the fireworks.
We must have passed by each other at some point! I saw your periscope feed afterwards and I think we were sitting across from each other!

Here now and found all 13 Hidden Mickeys on the Grand Californian confectionary display. I will upload pics later since they are too big right now.
Impressive! I only found 10 before we had to head out to dinner.

Can anyone please fill me in about this dragon? I've never seen it before and it sounds cute. Is it only there at Halloweentime? Thanks.
It's one of the little details at the party that was fun to find. He used to be in the staircase leading up to the old Fantasyland Skyway station, but that's been demolished, so I wasn't sure if he'd show back up in the parks. Basically, it's glowing eyes and some sound effects. I have photos, but I just got home so I haven't downloaded my camera and processed the photos yet. If you scroll down in this post from last year, there is a photo of the dragon.

Is the Vampire Mickey popcorn bucket the same as last year, or did they change it?
As Astylla said, it's basically the same design, but with a different color scheme and glow in the dark hands. Also, the opening has changed. Last year, top of the head (ears) detached (which was kind of precarious because some were loose), but this year, the whole face swings upward (hard to explain). Also, it comes with a lanyard type strap.

I was here tonight (on Sunday going to party tomorrow) and soooo wanted the poison apple mug. First thing I did when I got into the park was go running to find one. They told me they had a bunch in the morning but are sold out through the entire parks. Ever since I saw one I've wanted one but they always sell out. I came early this thinking it'd be a sure thing.
Wow, they were pretty plentiful throughout DL on Sunday morning. As mentioned, keep checking because you never know when they'll get re-stocked. I saw them at pretty much every CS location in DL and many of the stands (fruit carts, drink stands, etc.). Keep checking everywhere you walk by, because you never know when you'll find it.

i love those baked kettle chips. so excited to see all the treats they have this year. it will be my first mickey's halloween party.

Hopefully these are a little easier to read/see.
MHP2016_P1sm_zpsyzhsm8bo.jpg

MHP2016_P2sm_zpstimrfd8k.jpg

i love those baked kettle chips. so excited to see all the treats they have this year. it will be my first mickey's halloween party.
Just a note, but not every treat station has the same items. Most have the same candy mixture, but the other items (Pirates Booty, Pretzels, Goldfish Pretzels/Graham Crackers, Kettle Chips, Peeps, etc.) are only had select stations. They're also normally the default item that the CMs are handing out, so if you see something in the you want, be sure to ask the CM for it.

Just some other random thoughts/notes about the party (there will be a full trip report with photos after I get home):
  • The second parade didn't seem that busy. There still second row spots available in Town Square after the parade stepped off. Further up Main Street looked busier, but not super crowded.
  • The Horseman stepped onto the route at 10:30 pm and the parade started about 10 minutes later. The schedule had things listed for 10 minutes earlier (10:20 for the Horseman and 10:30 for the parade). The Horseman canters very slowly down the route, so he's very easy to see (which is nice).
  • The Horseman holds his pumpkin in his right hand, so you'll want to be on that side of the route for the best view (so on the Emporium side when the parade is coming from IsSW and the Starbucks side when the parade is coming from Town Square).
So did I read somewhere that the first route starts at IASW and ends up in Town Square and it's just opposite for the 2nd route? So if we do the 2nd parade we would want to be on the Starbucks side then, correct?

So did I read somewhere that the first route starts at IASW and ends up in Town Square and it's just opposite for the 2nd route? So if we do the 2nd parade we would want to be on the Starbucks side then, correct?
Yes...but I do think the Horseman goes slow enough that most folks will get a good view of him (and the pumpkin) as he comes towards you regardless of which side you're on. Overall, most of the parade can be seen pretty well from both sides of the route. Really only the last float (the villains one) had a minor difference between the left and right side.
If you view the float from the right side, you'll see Frollo (Hunchback of Notre Dame). If you're on the left side, you'll see Jafar (Aladdin).

Yes...but I do think the Horseman goes slow enough that most folks will get a good view of him (and the pumpkin) as he comes towards you regardless of which side you're on. Overall, most of the parade can be seen pretty well from both sides of the route. Really only the last float (the villains one) had a minor difference between the left and right side.
If you view the float from the right side, you'll see Frollo (Hunchback of Notre Dame). If you're on the left side, you'll see Jafar (Aladdin).
Thank you so much - so if we want to see the fireworks and the parade where would you think the best spot to view both would be and what time would you start camping out? This is our 1st MHP and just trying to get the best plan of attack.

There has only been one party so far, so it's hard to say whether what I saw is likely to be the case again later in the season. On Friday, the crowds were no where as bad as I expected at the party. We watched the first parade from the Blue Bayou viewing location (between Carnations and the Emporium) and then walked up Main Street to about where the street meets the hub after the parade finished. I would try to get at least that far up Main Street because the trees really get in the way this year (you want to be dead center on the street or slightly to the right (when facing the castle)). For the second parade, there were still second row spots available when the parade stepped off in Town Square (start of the route); further up the route looked busier, but there were still second row spots available on Main Street about 20 minutes before the parade started (when I walked by).

There has only been one party so far, so it's hard to say whether what I saw is likely to be the case again later in the season. On Friday, the crowds were no where as bad as I expected at the party. We watched the first parade from the Blue Bayou viewing location (between Carnations and the Emporium) and then walked up Main Street to about where the street meets the hub after the parade finished. I would try to get at least that far up Main Street because the trees really get in the way this year (you want to be dead center on the street or slightly to the right (when facing the castle)). For the second parade, there were still second row spots available when the parade stepped off in Town Square (start of the route); further up the route looked busier, but there were still second row spots available on Main Street about 20 minutes before the parade started (when I walked by).
Great, thanks so much for the insight. We will be attending next Monday's party so I'm hoping that Mondays are lighter than Fridays.

Thanks again!

I need some expert insight :)

This is our first/ only Halloween party. We have reservations at BB at 5:10pm. Do you think the parade is long enough/ the seating worth it to justify the time spent at dinner or do you think we would be better off spending time enjoying the party instead and getting seats closer to time ?

We are going Sept30th and it's sold out.

That's a tough question...if you're only doing the package to get the Reserved Viewing area for the parade, my inclination is to say that it's probably not worth it. For the second parade (at least), there did seem to be pretty good viewing options with relatively short waits. On the other hand, the Blue Bayou dinner itself was excellent. You could try checking in early to see if they'll take you (we checked in at 4:30 pm for our 5:00 pm reservation and waited about 30 minutes for a table - we requested water side). The meal itself took about 90 minutes, so we missed out on most of the Toontown pre-party (not a big deal to us). Sorry that I don't really have a definitive answer, but I think it comes down to whether you want to dine at the Blue Bayou or not.

I need some expert insight :)

This is our first/ only Halloween party. We have reservations at BB at 5:10pm. Do you think the parade is long enough/ the seating worth it to justify the time spent at dinner or do you think we would be better off spending time enjoying the party instead and getting seats closer to time ?

We are going Sept30th and it's sold out.

We're going the same day and we have BB at 5:10 also, and it's our first/only Halloween party! I'm following along to see what the responses are... :)

That's a tough question...if you're only doing the package to get the Reserved Viewing area for the parade, my inclination is to say that it's probably not worth it. For the second parade (at least), there did seem to be pretty good viewing options with relatively short waits. On the other hand, the Blue Bayou dinner itself was excellent. You could try checking in early to see if they'll take you (we checked in at 4:30 pm for our 5:00 pm reservation and waited about 30 minutes for a table - we requested water side). The meal itself took about 90 minutes, so we missed out on most of the Toontown pre-party (not a big deal to us). Sorry that I don't really have a definitive answer, but I think it comes down to whether you want to dine at the Blue Bayou or not.

Yeah i'm really torn because we love BB and eat there often but i'm worried about it taking too long and regretting "wasting" that time. It's just me and my husband so we can usually find decent spots last minute and being a ticketed event I don't forsee it being PTN crowd levels which is what i'm comparing it to. But then knowing where we will be seeing the parade and making a line towards fireworks then having the rest of the night to clean up anything else.

Where can we find the vlog?

We had so much fun at the party. We did the Blue Bayou dinner package, and vlogged it. Also periscoped the parade. Loved the Headless Horseman and the parade, and of course, the fireworks.

Here now and found all 13 Hidden Mickeys on the Grand Californian confectionary display. I will upload pics later since they are too big right now.

Yeah i'm really torn because we love BB and eat there often but i'm worried about it taking too long and regretting "wasting" that time. It's just me and my husband so we can usually find decent spots last minute and being a ticketed event I don't forsee it being PTN crowd levels which is what i'm comparing it to. But then knowing where we will be seeing the parade and making a line towards fireworks then having the rest of the night to clean up anything else.

I agree with figment_jil. This really comes down to how much you want to eat at BB. Since there will only be two of you, there shouldn't be a problem getting a good spot (maybe not on the curb, but still a good spot) for the second parade. You have enough park experience and know how to be able to work on the fly if needed. There are so many things to see and do at the party that I wouldn't want to spend a good chunk of my party time eating a sit down meal. If you still want BB, but not the package, make the latest lunch reservation you can. That way you will be able to relax and enjoy your meal, and the party/pre-party will just be starting when you finish. That's what we're doing.

We're trying to decide the same thing. Is the BB decorated any differently for the Halloween package or is it the same as it would be if we go for lunch on a different day? I don't want to miss the Toon Town pre-party unless there is something different than we could do any other day. I was hoping there was going to be a villain or two at the dinner.

I agree with figment_jil. This really comes down to how much you want to eat at BB. Since there will only be two of you, there shouldn't be a problem getting a good spot (maybe not on the curb, but still a good spot) for the second parade. You have enough park experience and know how to be able to work on the fly if needed. There are so many things to see and do at the party that I wouldn't want to spend a good chunk of my party time eating a sit down meal. If you still want BB, but not the package, make the latest lunch reservation you can. That way you will be able to relax and enjoy your meal, and the party/pre-party will just be starting when you finish. That's what we're doing.

That's a great idea and yeah the more I thought about it the more I thought maybe we had better options. We don't NEED to eat at BB by any means and had it been more like Mystical Spirits I might feel different. Thanks for the insight and help !

Last October we had a not-party-night dinner at BB and they just left all the Mystic Spirits props up, so it made it festive even without the party.

Not sure that you'll have an answer for this, but my husband will likely be in an ECV. Would he need to line up for the parade at a certain time and place? Or, do we just wing it like we normally do without an ECV. If there is a special ECV area, would I be there or would I need to go somewhere else and then fetch him through the crowd after the parade?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter