Southwest RR + miles from Southwest premiere card

Ok a couple more questions and I will leave everyone alone. I saw something on another thread that you can't use both points and money on a ticket that it has to be one or the other.

I got an email from southwest today saying (I believe, though I just scanned it) there is a deal going on for buying points. If I only have enough points for a partial flight should I buy points. We don't fly often just to Disney every 2 years.

I got an email from southwest today saying (I believe, though I just scanned it) there is a deal going on for buying points. If I only have enough points for a partial flight should I buy points. We don't fly often just to Disney every 2 years.
I would price it out to see how many points you have to buy to get a full ticket. And you don't have to buy round-trip. You can buy a one-way on points and the return on cash.

I got the 35% bonus email. It could be worthwhile. If I remember correctly, you can only buy in increments of 1000pts.

I'm hoping to time things correctly so that we can earn companion fares in early 2016. If SW offers 50000 again this year, and I apply in late 2015, but then get up to 110000 in early 2016, will the companion fare be good for 2016-2017? This would be so helpful for the travel we have planned over the next couple of years!

Yes, the CP is good for the remainder of the calendar year in which you hit 110,000 points and the entire following year. So it's always best to earn it as close to January as possible. Just be careful if you're to trying to time it that your bonus points don't hit in December because those will not count for 2016 then.

Thanks! So if I get the card in say, November, I want to hold off making purchases to hot the initial minimum until late December, correct? I'm hoping to earn companion fares in time for our spring break Disney/Keys trip. Thanks again for your help?

I was told by a friend last night that the 50,000 bonus is back. I already have a SW Plus card, so is it possible for me to sign up for a Premier, and have either my dh sign up for another Plus or Premier, or even get a card for our business? I'm trying to get to the Companion Pass status.

I'm not sure the Premiere ever went away... Plus is the one on hiatus. If you are asking if you can sign up for one and have your husband sign up for another and combine the points to result in companion pass... no, it doesn't work like that. Points go to the primary card holder. You can sign up for the Premiere. (did you previously get the 50000 bonus this year from getting your plus card, or did that happen long ago?) If you can't get both in this calendar year, have your husband get both (plus and premiere).

I'm not sure the Premiere ever went away... Plus is the one on hiatus. If you are asking if you can sign up for one and have your husband sign up for another and combine the points to result in companion pass... no, it doesn't work like that. Points go to the primary card holder. You can sign up for the Premiere. (did you previously get the 50000 bonus this year from getting your plus card, or did that happen long ago?) If you can't get both in this calendar year, have your husband get both (plus and premiere).

I got my Plus card with 50,000 bonus a couple years ago.

So, if I were to get both this year, would I need to close my first Plus card? Or would it be easier to get them in dh's name, since he doesn't have any yet.

Thanks! So if I get the card in say, November, I want to hold off making purchases to hot the initial minimum until late December, correct? I'm hoping to earn companion fares in time for our spring break Disney/Keys trip. Thanks again for your help?

You should be fine with that strategy. Remember, the bonus points won't hit until your statement closes, so for optimum results, you'd want them to hit when your January statement closes; then they'll post to your SW RR account a couple days later. I didn't follow the whole thread, but you do realize you need 110,000 points to acheive companion pass, so you will need two cards in your name or some creative spending? Also, you can only book a companion flight if there is an open seat (any open seat) so, if you have some points already, you may want to book flights as a "placeholder" as soon as the schedule is posted to hedge a flight sell out. You can then cancel the flight for the person who becomes your companion and have points returned to your account and then reserve it again under the companion pass.

So, if I were to get both this year, would I need to close my first Plus card? Or would it be easier to get them in dh's name, since he doesn't have any yet.

You're eligible to receive the sign-up bonus from Chase two years after initially getting it. Since you still have the Plus card open, you would have to close it and wait an unspecified (nobody can factually document how long this is) amount of time to hit all Chase systems before reapplying again. IMO, I would not waste the time or take the risk. If you're wanting a companion pass sometime this year, it would be best to have your husband get two cards and earn the pass.

You're eligible to receive the sign-up bonus from Chase two years after initially getting it. Since you still have the Plus card open, you would have to close it and wait an unspecified (nobody can factually document how long this is) amount of time to hit all Chase systems before reapplying again. IMO, I would not waste the time or take the risk. If you're wanting a companion pass sometime this year, it would be best to have your husband get two cards and earn the pass.

Thank you for your advice. I think that sounds like a good plan. :)

I got my Plus card with 50,000 bonus a couple years ago.

I got it with 50,000 bonus three months ago... and I also got it a year ago in my wife's name. It comes for a few months, then it goes on hiatus for a few months. It is currently on hiatus. I'd expect it back anytime.

Just got the new SW premier card. My offer was the 50K miles and a statement credit of $100 to offset the annual fee. That's the best deal I've seen in a while. Exp. date was May 20th.

My current flights are the same amount of points as they were before the changes. So I guess it depends on the flight.

Mine went up slightly, by a few hundred, but that could be attributed to the flight filling up. I think one went from about 7,900 to 11,200.

Did anything change re: RR points in April? I can not find anything.
Thanks

On another Forum (Flyertalk) there are reports of only a minor devaluation of points at this time.

Nothing major and the thread has more or less gone away ... for now.

IIRC ... The language of the terms for the use of points ... was revised (changed)

Leading some to speculate that the new language would allow possible future point devaluations.

Truly ... YMMV on the interpretation of the discussion (April 17th+)

It is a little bit over my head (also I am not as concerned as those involved in the discussion)

Last edited:
Just got the new SW premier card. My offer was the 50K miles and a statement credit of $100 to offset the annual fee. That's the best deal I've seen in a while. Exp. date was May 20th.

Wow, I've never seen an offer with a statement credit like that before. Is that still available somewhere?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter