Southwest Air baggage ?

natt

DIS Veteran
Well, January signals it's time for us to start getting serious about our air travel for our 3/16 cruise. We're considering Southwest, as friends of ours just got back from WDW and used them, and were pleased.

Just wondering if anyone has ever used Southwest for a Disney cruise, and will they honor the baggage tags that will transfer your luggage directly to the port. I know they are not a Disney preferred carrier.

Also, another question, off topic! If you stay at an MCO hotel the night prior to your cruise and are using DCL transfers to get to the port, where do you tell the hotel shuttle to drop you off? Will they drop at the DCL terminal?

Thanks for any info! It's suddenly starting to feel real!! :bounce:
Natt

If you are coming in the day before your cruise and have DCL transfers you must pick up your bags YOURSELF, DCL will not pick them up on day ahead arrivals. You would put your bag tags on the morning you travel to the port. If you're at the Orlando Airport Hyatt they will collect your bags for you that morning for transfer to the port. If you're staying at a different airport hotel have the shuttle drop you off at DCL bus area in Terminal A.

If you are arriving the same day and have DCL transfers purchased DCL will pick up your bags from any air carrier at the airport. Just be sure to have your flight information noted on your reservation with DCL.

Hope that helps a little! :)

Thanks Michelle! We're just kicking around our options, and it's good to know the pros and cons of either! Thanks again!

We have flown Southwest twice from Albany to MCO for Disney cruises, had an excellent experience both times. I would highly recommend it. The second time, this past November, we had tranfers and had no problem getting our luggage. We checked it in Albany with DCL tags, and the next time we saw it was in our stateroom on the ship. It arrived in plenty of time for dinner, and was delivered in fine shape. Southwest is great!! Have a great time, we did!!

Chris

I also have to join the Southweat bandwagon. We ALWAYS fly Southwest and can't say enough good things about Southwest. If after you book, you find a lower price, (If you had restricted tickets) they will give you a credit that can be used by ANYONE flying Southwest. If you have an unrestricted ticket, they will credit your credit card the difference. You can't lose.

Unlike Delta who says the person who's credit it is, is the only one that can use the credit. My DH has a $1,000 credit with Delta, that they won't let him use for his family (DW & DD's) the refund.

Joanna

I think that their policy of not assigning seats makes traveling with a family unbearable. Scrambling to get 3 seats together made the trip needlessly stressful.

If you do choose to use them, and you check bags, and you connect, you will stand in line a minimum of 4 times: 1 to check bags, 2 at security, 3 to get boarding card, 4 to get your next boarding card. And if your 1st flight is a tight connection or you are even the littlest bit late, you will be in the last boarding group and unlikely to get seats together unless one of your children is under 2, then they will give you priority. No thanks.

Here in MHT, we can get pretty much the same prices using the majors (not that they are any great shakes, either) as on SW because of the competition. For that reason, I am grateful to have them.

Thanks everyone for your replys! McNuss, actually DH is the sceptic about not having an assigned seat also, but this time it will be just the two of us, and if we're not seated together, it's not the end of the world - we'll also be there in plenty of time to check in!

We have the choice between Phila. and BWI airports, but since 9/11, Southwest is the only airline that flys direct out of BWI.

I'll share all of your comments with DH! Thanks again and Happy New Year! natt

how ever if u arrive at the airport EARLY enough u will get the letter A and will board the aircraft before people who have the B and C on there tickets and should not have any trouble getting seats together..... we liked SW the one time we flew with them

peter

We flew them for the first time last month and I thought they were GREAT! The staff were cracking jokes all the time over the intercom, very friendly, good snacks, lots of attention. The non assigned seating was not a big deal the three of us sat together both on the way up and back no problem. I will use them again next year for sure!

Peter...You are correct with the boarding passes now. They are A,B,C.

McNuss...They now give you the boarding pass when you check your luggage, no more waiting in a second line for that. It's lettered now, it use to be numbered, but not any more.

We travel as a family of 4. We always get 2 rows of 2 seats together, right behind each other.

Joanna

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter