Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting Than You!*6/8* NEW Trip Report Link p154

Discussion in 'Disney Trip Reports' started by MEK, Dec 17, 2012.

1. eandesmom

eandesmom I'm with Beast

[​IMG]

And there he is!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Guess what time it is?

[​IMG]

Yep!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah, I cried.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now it's funny, as I had never done this before I was a bit amazed at the large crowd and the herding through the turnstiles but I made it through and headed straight to SM to grab a FP and go standby. Which I did!
    I tried to get a few photos but at first the line was cruising and then, well then, we all got stuck behind a manual wheelchair which honestly on that incline wasn't moving any faster than the moving walkway (understandably) but did slow down the line quite a bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blurry dining table

[​IMG]

Finally in the dump shop I began the project of T shirt photos. I'd text them to the E's to weigh in on as to what they wanted for their souvenir. I had a general list of things to look for. These (Space Mountain Tees) were on Eric’s list.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If memory serves this is where it got a little funny. As I was in the store I think I’d gotten a text from Mary Ellen that she was on her way. I headed over to see if Fantasy Land was open, taking the back road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are a little creepy

[​IMG]

Continued in next post

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. eandesmom

eandesmom I'm with Beast

Mary Ellen had to maybe be 10 minutes behind me and also went on SM, took the back road and then somehow we missed each other. She was getting a cool shot of ride the dump truck and all I got was this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We and finally connected over in front of the carousel I think and were sad to see this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As Mary Ellen mentioned we asked if and when it might be open. The CM's right there didn't have an answer for us however it seems like we chatted with a PP photographer under the arches who said that while they couldn't confirm or deny anything 10 am might be a good time to swing by.

Okey dokey, we can kill 15 minutes

As we walked by we saw work going on here. We were both out of the loop on this one

[​IMG]

I think our plan was to check out the Christmas shop and as Mary Ellen mentioned we grabbed some Peter Pan FP's as we went by. Arriving at the shop though we found it wasn't open. Which made no sense to us at all. It was then, with 5 minutes or so still to kill Mary Ellen mentioned she wouldn't mind having lunch at LTT so I pulled out the trust app and voila! ADR made on the spot. I have to admit, that was pretty darn cool. Lunch set it was back to see if our source was on target and as you already know, they were!

We wandered in and at first, now that it was daylight, just drank in the detail

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But, much as we wanted to look more closely, we figured we should keep moving before a line formed…here!

[​IMG]

Nope, no line yet

[​IMG]

YAY!

[​IMG]

Pretty decent stream of folks for a soft opening

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just gorgeous

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heading into the grotto

[​IMG]

I’ll try to keep these to a minimum since a lot are duplicates

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She really isn't attractive is she?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Continued in next post

4. eandesmom

eandesmom I'm with Beast

[​IMG]

Uh oh

[​IMG]

Thank heaven for true love’s kiss.

Ok, so is there a dump shop here? I swear I have read reports of merchandise by this area but for the life of me I missed it. I did get a nice backside view of the mine train

[​IMG]

I think she's got an odd expression on this

[​IMG]

Beast's castle

[​IMG]

More of Eric's as we walked out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still no popping but signs of life

[​IMG]

Lots of life over here

[​IMG]

Now here, here was a shop I HAD to go into. I love Beauty and The Beast, and Belle and was dying to see what they had inside. So we did!

I’ll stop here as well. I really liked Under the Sea. It is very well done and well, just awfully darn cute. The area around it is just stunning!

It was just after 10, I’d had my coffee on the verandah, seen the opening show, made rope drop, rode Space Mountain and had gone under the sea. A very very good start to the day in my book!

5. afwdwfan

afwdwfan DIS Dad #460

That is a good morning, right there.
    I can't believe that was the first time you'd ever seen the opening show though!!! Now you know what you've been missing!

I'm glad it worked out that you were able to get back into the new Fantasyland. Even though I've seen it myself, I can't wait to go back and explore some more.

6. MEK

MEK DIS Veteran

Yup - that was it!

Thanks! Nick is very excited to make this decision and the next few weeks should be telling. Nick actually did look briefly at Montana and his guidance counselor encouraged him, but I guess I was the skeptic there thinking it was too far and concerned about transportation costs and rarely seeing him.

Actually, the filming was outside the queue, although from the pictures you probably can't tell. It is fun when you see the filming and how serious it all is. I was staying at Kidani after it just opened and they were filming everywhere.

Thanks! I am very excited for Nick, although I am finding myself a little obsessed with how he is going to make the decision. I keep googling, reading, and rereading stuff about the colleges at the top of his list.

It's such a cute ride. So enjoyable and very high-tech in appearance. I really enjoyed it and can't wait to ride again.

It's one of my favs as well! :thumbsup2

:rotfl2: I LOL'd when I read this the other day. I guess losing your memory IS a horrible side effect to an awesome trip! Just surprised at HOW much of memory I actually DID lose!

That I remembered! :laughing:

I am proud of him. I like the way he has really tried to be part of this decision and how he is developing a good sense of self worth when he sees the opportunities available to him are tied to his work ethic.

:rotfl2: I think Nick is really considering being a Hokie! We have not visited the school yet, so I am going to arrange that in the next couple weeks. We have a very close friend's son who attends and loves it. Plus, that could be a perk in itself because Nick would be able to get rides with him for school breaks. I would like to attend the Hokey Days, but I will be returning from HHI around that time, so I need to figure out something sooner. I know they are opening a brand new engineering building in Fall 2013, so that's quite an enticement.

It's hard to get pictures on the inside because its dark and you are usually moving, so I am glad I got a few less than stellar ones!

Well then make sure you keep your eyes covered for Cynthia's update as well because she had posted more spoiler pics. You are going to LOVE it is all I can say!

Thanks Glenn. I'm sure you know how this feels. With Brian it was easy because he only applied to three schools and Salisbury ended up being a no-brainer. This is a lot more difficult.

It was very cool. You are going to love it when you see it. Very well done!

We went in January the last weekend of the display. We also decided just to buy the year membership so essentially next year's visit is paid for. I would really like to go during the daytime some year because I can never get good indoor shots of the big room in the entrance. I just love the whole display. It's so festive. I am also looking forward to visiting in the spring!

7. MEK

MEK DIS Veteran

Thanks and I certainly will once the decision is made :thumbsup2

Maybe because I was taking so many pictures, but I really didn't notice the length of the ride. Although I hate that feeling when a ride just comes up a little short in length. Kali river rapids comes to mind.

Thanks. I really enjoy their Christmas Display. Every year they seem to add a few extra touches to it so it never gets old.

They are the same! Good eye Pat! I love that particular shape - its so eye catching! Yes - I see Disney everywhere, too! It's an affliction! :rotfl:

So true!

Thank you and you are going to LOVE it! It's really a wonderful new addition. I just wonder how crowded it will be this summer when I am visiting. :confused3

I really didn't remember going to the park by myself....:rotfl: Apparently I was in my own little world that morning - literally and figuratively! :rotfl:

Wasn't it so cute? Loved it! Yes, that was the day we bumped into you after we bumped into another DISer who is responsible for the name of our TR. But that will be in the next update!

I really enjoy their lunch menu. I think its a great place for lunch. The atmosphere is really cute and the food is good (mostly - spoiler alert).

I'm really happy for him and now we have to decide. UD is the obvious choice based on quality of programs and tuition, so it's really a tough decision.

Honestly, Civil would be my pick. I have always been fascinated with roads and bridges. But clearly my son does not share that love. He knew he didn't want chemical because that's what Denny does and all he sees is the paperwork associated with it.

:rotfl2: And Nick is so NOT a geek, but he loves calculus and physics. Actually, after meeting with a mechanical engineering professor at York I think he is now leaning more towards that direction because it encompasses so many areas of study.

Not shabby at all and definitely under 10 minutes.

Hey - what kid wouldn't want to ride a bulldozer handing 50 feet in the air? :scratchin

She is!

:thumbsup2

The whole area really did have a lot of wonderful details. It was really fun to explore it during such great weather with low crowds.

Thanks! Hey, isn't that where you got engaged?

Thanks! I am very proud of him. He's a good kid and he's always worked hard at school, so it's nice to see him have so many solid choices.

We really had an awesome morning. Everything seemed to roll along really nicely. The last time I was in MK it was June and it was hot and crowded. I barely made it to after lunch, so this was awesome!

8. FauntleroyFAN07

FauntleroyFAN07 Commander of Donalds Crew Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy

see it pays to chat up the CM's good job

9. Captain_Oblivious

Captain_Oblivious DIS Dad #257

Wow! I'd say that was a mission worth accepting, then.

I'm glad you made it. Everyone should see the MK opening show at least once in their life.

Got to agree with you there.

If not, I'm sure there will be!

Glad to hear it! You got a lot accomplished in the morning. Especially impressive after being up for the Halloween party.

10. Mndisneygirl

Mndisneygirl DIS Veteran

I didn't see the dump shop for LM either, but I'm sure it's being put in soon!

I'm glad you (Cynthia) got to see the opening ceremony! It's pretty cute!

11. jenseib

jenseib Mommy to Claire

I love seeing the new FL in the daylight. I only got to go back at night and it looks so different in actual light. :rotfl:

12. MEK

MEK DIS Veteran

Thanks. I am very happy for Nick, although I am starting to feel a little overwhelmed right now. I know I shouldn't, but its a lot of schools to consider and evaluate thoroughly.

I love running, so as long as I don't totally overslept, aren't hungover, or don't have a place to be really early, I just get up and go.

It's so well done. Such a beautiful ride. I'm so glad we got to experience it.

Oh brother! :rotfl2:

I know - hard to believe this was her first trip to Pecos Bill. I think that was probably my first MK and WDW restaurant!

She was really hungry! :laughing: I love Pecos Bill. It's definitely a "go to" place.

I'm pretty sure there has to be a bus, especially during bad weather. I'm not sure about the party either. I do feel like I was on a bus late at night, but apparently I am delusional. :laughing:

Thanks. I am very happy for Nick and right now I am working on a schedule to go back and see the fore-runners. I think there are two we are ready to eliminate right now, so that will leave 6. Out of those 6 if we can get down to three top choices then we are in good shape.

It was nice that our morning went so smoothly. We had some serious good luck during this trip.

The theming is amazing. They did a great job and I can't wait to go back and see it again.

We had a really nice more in Fantasyland. It's a lovely area and I'm so glad we had such a great day and great weather to enjoy it in.

OK - your totally lost me with that comment! :rotfl:

Thanks Rosie. I'm so proud of Nick and so happy for him!

You guys are killin' me! :faint:

:rotfl2: We wouldn't want you to have to do that now, would we? :rolleyes1

13. MEK

MEK DIS Veteran

Thanks!

I remember you saying that your DH was an EE. I think its amazing all the different ways you can take an engineering degree.

So you guys were never able to see it in October? Did the soft openings close right after I left? That's a bummer for you, but I'm glad you are super excited for your next trip so you can see it.

Setting too high expectations is definitely a problem. It's definitely a ride you have to enjoy for what it is. You are so right about that.

:rotfl: to the Ursula comment! :rotfl:

I wish they would use some of the LM technology and revamp Nemo. That would be great.

Am I going to have to separate you two? :lmao:

14. eandesmom

eandesmom I'm with Beast

Teens and rope drop are not the best combo. We've come close several times but never at MK. It won't be my last time seeing it though even if I have to go solo!

Me too, plus more will be open!

I've read about an Ariel meet and greet there, in the "enchanted forest" near her grotto but for the life of me have no concept where that is!

Me too!

It is so pretty back there :thumbsup2

15. eandesmom

eandesmom I'm with Beast

Yes it does! The odd thing is that I swore we had some pics taken but they aren't to be found. It's really bugging me!

It was

Hopefully more than once but I'm not sure it's on my families list of top 10 things to do. We are perpetually 15 minutes late to everything.

Well luckily it wasn't EMH so a 9am opening was pretty doable and was about as much sleep, or maybe more, as I'd normally get at home.

16. MEK

MEK DIS Veteran

Thanks! Me too! It was really cool out that morning.

It does look ...uhm....interesting, does't it?

Thanks! I love Longwood.

Thanks! I'm very happy for him and I think I will be relieved when the decision is made.

You are going to love it. It's a really cool attraction. It's just a very "feel good" place.

Thank you! I love their Christmas display. However, it has gotten SO crowded.

[​IMG]

What a gorgeous sky! I am so glad you made the opening show. It really is super cute! It reminds me of my first visit where we lined up at 8:15 am to see the opening show. That would never happen these days. :laughing:

[​IMG]

These ARE really creepy! I never noticed them before. Odd!

Love all the cute T-shirts in the SM dump shop.

See what happens when she leaves her West Coast family at home. :rotfl: So much easier to catch the opening show when you are solo.

I totally agree. I can't wait to go back again myself!

Couldn't agree more! :thumbsup2

I totally agree with this. Seeing the opening show is definitely a "must do".

Ditto. They are almost as creepy as Todd and Paul ( the creepy chairs at the Boardwalk).

Yeah - that's pretty much a given!

I think we both did really well that morning. We just really wanted to see Fantasyland, so it was definitely an incentive!

17. MEK

MEK DIS Veteran

What would a new ride be without a dumb shop? I mean, really......:rotfl:

I'm glad she got to see it as well and I enjoyed looking at her pics!

Totally different in the day light. To me it's a very peaceful area. Actually a great area for both day and night!

18. Mndisneygirl

Mndisneygirl DIS Veteran

Ariel does have a meet and greet in her Grotto - it's a little past the ride. We were able to meet her in her mermaid state. There still needs to be a dump shop though!

19. MEK

MEK DIS Veteran

That sounds cool. In her mermaid state? How did they prop her up? :rotfl: Wait - is that a dumb question? Should I already know the answer?

20. GoofyFan1515

GoofyFan1515 IMO, this new DIS is horrible! More chore than fun

So THAT'S where "Coffee on the Verandah" that so may people joke about comes from!!! Who knew it actually involved real coffee???? :confused3

Wilderness Lodge looks like a really great resort. Love the elevated walkway through the, uh, wilderness!!! :rotfl2: And even though I know it is rather close to MK, it looks really peaceful and relaxing. :thumbsup2

So glad you got to see the Opening show at MK! It looks like a lot of fun! And of course, SM has to be the first ride of the day! I'm with you on that one! :banana: Nice they provided you with those motorized cars for taking that back road.........oh wait! ;)

Great job on figuring out you would get to tour the New Fantasyland soon instead of just giving up! And a great get on trying LTT and getting that last minute ADR! :yay: You got some really great pictures during the "dress rehearsal" too! :goodvibes

:woohoo: for a very busy and productive morning!!!

That might actually be a better name for it!!! :lmao:

21. Mndisneygirl

Mndisneygirl DIS Veteran

Do you remember her old Grotto - She's sort of sitting on a rock-like thing. I probably have pictures somewhere. I bet it's even on our photopass!

No comment on the dumb question.