Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom

mom2princesses2

DIS Veteran
Any reviews of Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom? Is it worthwhile? :confused3

My DDs love Agent P's Adventure at EPCOT.

My DS6 loved it. You can get your cards (one pack per park ticket per day) at the fire house or somewhere in Liberty Square (hopefully someone else can chime in on this). There is a little tutorial at the beginning, and then you are sent to do a 'mission' in one area of the park.

We only did the ones for Main Street and Adventureland, but at least with those two, there is a lot of zigzagging within the 'land' where you get sent. Even so, it doesn't really take very long (we found them to actually be much shorter than the Agent P missions). Sometimes you will get held up at a portal waiting for others to complete their task.

I've seen people complain that being able to see and hear what the portal says to people in front of them in line ruins the game. We didn't find that to be true at all. First of all, everyone is in a different place in the game, so you are about as likely to see a portion of the mission that you have already completed as you are to see one that is yet to come. Second, unless you are looking over the shoulder of the people playing, it is easy enough to distract yourself and focus on something else while others finish their turns.

My 15 yo ds and 8 yo dgd both loved playing. A couple of tips to get more cards is to get a pack for everyone in your party even if not everyone is playing and to pick up packs every time you go to MK, even if you are not playing that day.

You will get a key card which they will activate when you pick up your first pack of cards. Label it somehow so you don't get it mixed up with an extra key card or someone else's (if you have multiple people playing). Just don't write across the side you hold up in front of the sensors. We just marked it with a small initial in one corner.

Be aware that someone may ask your child if he/she wants to trade cards. I had no problem with this as long as the trade was giving a duplicate for one my dgd did not already have. Some cards are more rare than others and some are showing up on EBay. My dgd and ds know which are more valuable and are pretty smart traders so I didn't worry much about it. Just really supervised it with dgd. My teen son made his own choices about trading.

HTH!

Does this mean you get to KEEP the cards too when you sign up??? :banana: sorry it sounds silly but I paid for the first pack she got last nov. and I could've got 3 for free?? :lmao:

Thanks, everyone! My DD10 played it and really enjoyed it.

We got one pack of cards for each of us (4) each day we were at MK so we got 12 packs, although we could have gotten more except we didn't play the first two times at MK.

We didn't pay for any cards and we did get to keep all of them for our next trip.

It's a very fun and addicting game. I started playing last March, and have finally gotten a complete collection (72 cards). I recommend the game to everyone

My 7 year old loved it. We didn't do it until our last day though, we really should have done it sooner! We got a special spell card the night we went to MVMCP.

You can get your cards (one pack per park ticket per day) at the fire house or somewhere in Liberty Square (hopefully someone else can chime in on this).

Yes, you can get cards at the Firehouse on Main Street or behind the Christmas Shoppe in Liberty Square. The location in Liberty Square seems less busy...

Even so, it doesn't really take very long (we found them to actually be much shorter than the Agent P missions). Sometimes you will get held up at a portal waiting for others to complete their task.

I think it depends on how busy it is when you are playing. My family found that it took about 30 minutes to complete on villain. It can be pretty time consuming on busy days if you have to wait a while.

I've seen people complain that being able to see and hear what the portal says to people in front of them in line ruins the game. We didn't find that to be true at all.

Again it really depends on how many people are in front of you. There are two villains per land, so you might see a different set of cut-scenes. I ended up with someone ahead of me that was on the same path, so I ended up seeing/hearing the scenes twice. It was fine, but it did seem a little repetitive by the end.

As others have said, you can get one pack of cards per valid ticket per day. If you happen to be at the parks for a special ticket event (like MVMCP or MNSSHP) you can also get a pack of cards with those tickets. :) They stop handing out card packs one hour before normal park closing. (So no cards during EMH, at least that's how it was in October.)

I liked SotMK and am hoping to play again on my next trip, but it's not something I would do if the parks are really crowded.

My son loved it for a while until they dumbed down the whole system. Then he got bored with it pretty quickly. We still get the cards every trip in though. He's managed to complete 3 sets so far..

I keep hearing about this game and admit to being curious about it. Is it something that My Husband and I could do together and enjoy on an adult level or is there a high cheese factor to it. Also what all do the challenges entail? If an example could be given without giving away too much plot I would be grateful. I can only ever find vague descriptions of this game.

Gracefulskinny said:
I keep hearing about this game and admit to being curious about it. Is it something that My Husband and I could do together and enjoy on an adult level or is there a high cheese factor to it. Also what all do the challenges entail? If an example could be given without giving away too much plot I would be grateful. I can only ever find vague descriptions of this game.

www.sotmkblog.com

I wouldn't describe it as having a "high cheese factor", but whether you'd enjoy it really depends on whether you like these types of games. I like video games and thought it was fun. Others in my group aren't into video games and thought it was kind of boring.

Basically you are supposed to defeat a villain that is trying to take over the Magic Kingdom. To defeat the villain you must use "spell cards". At the lowest level, all you do is watch the cut scene and then hold up a card (or multiple cards, it really doesn't matter). A spell is cast (the visual effect depends on the card) and after a while the villain is defeated. For the beginning level, it doesn't mater what card(s) you use, you'll eventually defeat the villain (at least for me that's how it worked). In the harder levels of the game, I gather strategy (i.e., which cards you use) matters.

My 8 year old LOVES it. We've never been when too many people were playing but when there are people ahead of us we wander away and keep an eye out for our turn. That way ds doesn't hear and see exactly what is going on:)

I wouldn't describe it as having a "high cheese factor", but whether you'd enjoy it really depends on whether you like these types of games. I like video games and thought it was fun. Others in my group aren't into video games and thought it was kind of boring.

Basically you are supposed to defeat a villain that is trying to take over the Magic Kingdom. To defeat the villain you must use "spell cards". At the lowest level, all you do is watch the cut scene and then hold up a card (or multiple cards, it really doesn't matter). A spell is cast (the visual effect depends on the card) and after a while the villain is defeated. For the beginning level, it doesn't mater what card(s) you use, you'll eventually defeat the villain (at least for me that's how it worked). In the harder levels of the game, I gather strategy (i.e., which cards you use) matters.

Thanks! My husband and I do enjoy a good video game when we can. We just might have to give it a try! :thumbsup2

Do you trade with the cm's at the firehouse or with the guests or both??? This may be as addictive as pins!! :rotfl2: I confess to have hit eBay to make sure we have Pocahontas and Belle card, our 2 fav princesses when we go this summer!!

My DD14 has read all the Kindom Keeper books and I thought she would enjoy this but we will be at WDW 12/26-1/4 is it even worth trying when the parks are so busy?

My DD9 loves it. It is a great way to kill some time while other members of your party are doing a attraction the little ones don't want to do.

Do you trade with the cm's at the firehouse or with the guests or both??? This may be as addictive as pins!! :rotfl2: I confess to have hit eBay to make sure we have Pocahontas and Belle card, our 2 fav princesses when we go this summer!!

I didn't run across any CMs trading cards at the Firehouse or Liberty Square location. I've read that there may be some trading (between guests, not with CMs) somewhere in Liberty Square occasionally.

I don't think SotMK cards are likely to be as addictive as pins. Firstly, there are only 73 cards (at this point) and not all characters are well represented. The cards are fun to collect, but once you get all the cards, that's it. Unless Disney comes out with a new set of cards...

We played over President's Day weekend on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. My 10 and 17 yo loved it, we played as a family which made it loads of fun trying to figure out which cards we wanted to play. By Tuesday we had a number of duplicate cards, so we headed over to Tortuga Tavern and found a number of players that also had duplicates that were happy to trade. We also gave a number of cards away to little ones who were looking for their favorite characters, it was fun to see them smile when they received the card they really wanted. We really didn't have to wait in line very long most of the time, around mid-afternoon the kiosks were busier, but people moved through quickly.
We learned only trade a star card for another star card, and you don't need to have lightning cards in order to win the game. We played all three levels, you get new packs of cards each time you beat Hades.
Tips, get one of those card books from Amazon to put your cards in, my daughter would open her book to show 4 to 8 cards at a time and we would hold up cards around her cards. (She carried her book and used one of those string backpacks, which she folded up in her pocket - so we wouldn't have to go through bag check.)
We also took a plastic baggie with a pen and a piece of paper in it, we kept a list of the cards we were missing and a stack of duplicate cards to trade away.
Talk to the other families in line with you, we met great people from all over, the kids really enjoyed chatting with others about what cards they really liked.
There are some pages devoted to the game and a facebook group, for right now we've decided to just play it on our own for a while just getting tips from other families in the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter