SOOZE's Grand Gathering... it's so good, I have to bevel! Update! 2/3

Hello there Trip Report reader-type people! My name is Sooze, and I have been attempting trip reports for a while now. If you are interested in perusing any of them, feel free to click on a link in my signature (the dates/ resorts) that are underlined have a TR with them.

I'm extra super excited about this Trip Report.

Why?:confused3

First, it's the first time we are attempting a Grand Gathering.

Second, what kind of stories do you think will be told when THIS group of people goes to Disney together?
SillyHarloffs.jpg

I know, right? We look like a bunch of crazies!! AND WE ARE!!!
Allow me to introduce the cast of characters. I'll keep it short... because there are 9 of us going!

Let's start with ME! I'm at the bottom right of the picture. My name is Susie and I'm a 3rd grade teacher in Indianapolis. I also love performing with community theater.

I'm sitting next to my beautiful DD. Her name is Shaelyn. She is a red-headed, 5-year-old firecracker who will wait for DAYS to see princesses and fairies!

Behind me is my DH. His name is Matt. He is a band director at Avon High School in Indiana and is also a drum and bugle corps man. If you care, he is the brass caption head for the Carolina Crown Drum and Bugle Corps.

Next to him is our DS, Tyson. Tyson is eleven and is the only male child. He wants fast, scary rides and will probably spend as much time away from the little girls as he possibly can.

Let's hop over to the back Left corner. See the bald guy? Oh... wait... all of the guys are bald. My bad. Well, the bald guy in the back left corner. That is DH's brother, Ben. Yes... my kids have an Uncle Ben. And, no, he does not make rice for us! He is also a band director in Minnesota. For anyone who knows drum corps, Ben was the original trumpet soloist for the Broadway show Blast! which was a musical theater adaptation of drum corps. Pretty awesome!

In front of Uncle Ben is his gorgeous wife, Cindy. Cindy is a beautiful dancer, and has spent most of her life on stage. She is a wonderful mother and wife and will probably be a crying mess most of this trip, as she watches her daughter experience the magic for the first time.

Next to Auntie Cindy is Avabelle, their daughter. Avabelle is 4 years old and was born a year after Shaelyn... almost to the day! Avabelle is also very girly girly and will happily join Shae waiting for those princesses! This will be her very 1st trip to Disney World.

Finally, we have the grandparents. Matt and Ben's mom and dad. We shall call them "Mahna" and "Pahta". I know... kind of strange. Those words were created by Tyson when he was learning how to talk. It was his version of "Grandma" and "Grandpa"... and has stuck! Pahta is a former band director and current elementary music teacher in Southern Indiana. Mahna is a nurse in a nursing home. Actually, I think she's in charge of the nurses! Mahna and Pahta are getting close to retirement... so we are hoping to spend lots more time with them in the future. They are fantastic in-laws and I love them to death!:love:

Here is a more respectable picture of us...
HarloffFamily.jpg

Please join me! I will be posting some details on our reservations, basic plans, and thoughts about this trip.. plus plenty of pictures. I love me some pictures... and I'm sure this TR will end up being FULL of them.. FUNNY ones!!

So here are the basic of all basics:

Arrival
Sunday 6/26 We are driving, the rest of the family is flying.

Staying
at Boardwalk Villas in a 2BR

Departure
Friday 7/1

ADRs
O'Hana
Akershus
Teppan Edo

We plan to use our full kitchen a lot on this trip to save some cash!

I won't waste too much of your time on this quick PTR. So I hope some of you come back for the real report! Hopefully being started over the 4th of July weekend!

Last month, the kids and I worked hard on a little countdown calendar project. We mailed the calendars to the family and they just loved them!

Here is a picture of Avabelle with her calendar:
AvabelleCountdown-1-1.jpg

We put a picture on each flap, then under the flap we put down something we 'couldn't wait' to do with them! For example, under the picture of me eating a Mickey Bar it said "We just can't wait to eat Mickey bars with you... bring the napkins!"

We hope they have enjoyed this way to count down to our awesome week together!

I also used the DISigns part of the DIS to locate someone to create custom T-shirt designs and made shirts for everyone. I will post pictures of these soon! I will present these to everyone when we are all together at the Boardwalk. I can't wait to see their reaction!

Am I first?

Another Sooze's TR??!!! I'm in....can't wait!:goodvibes

PS - Love the countdown calendar!

You are my one and only!! Thanks for checking in! This will be idle for a while. I'm off to teach a band camp and then we head to WDW. Look for updates over the 4th of July weekend.

Thanks again!!:goodvibes

I'm in too...sounds like a great time is going to be had by all!popcorn::

Glad you hopped on board! Just returned from teaching a camp. We are trying to unpack, do laundry, and repack so we can get in the car for our long drive tonight!

Thanks for joining the thread! :goodvibes

Quick day-of-departure update:
  • Shaelyn has developed a nasty cold. Stuffy nose, sore throat, cough. Why does this stuff always happen?
  • Matt and I just returned from teaching a band symposium camp all last week. This meant lots of outdoor activity and lots of late night fun with friends. Translation: We are both EXHAUSTED and can't believe we are going to get in a car and drive to Orlando tonight!
  • Laundry is going and suitcases are out. We are going to try to get all of this done by 4pm... our estimated leaving time!
  • I will be doing some live updates along the way, so stay tuned!!
  • Thanks again for anyone who is following along :)

See ya real soon!:woohoo:

Hey Sooze! If it's OK I'll tag along too. :)

We aren't too far from you --- we're up in Westfield. :wave2:

Have a safe drive to see Mickey and have a GREAT time! Can't wait to read your report when you get back.

Debbie

I'm in!! I will try to keep up a little better this go round. Looking forward to live updates too. :thumbsup2

Sorry I missed the send off, but last week was crazy. I hope by now you are experiencing alot of pixie dust. pixiedust:

I look forward to reading about your adventures when you return.:goodvibes

Hey Sooze! If it's OK I'll tag along too. :)

We aren't too far from you --- we're up in Westfield. :wave2:

Have a safe drive to see Mickey and have a GREAT time! Can't wait to read your report when you get back.

Debbie
Of COURSE it's ok!!! Always love to have fellow Hoosiers joining in on the fun!!

I missed that you started, but am here now and can't wait to hear all about your trip:goodvibes
You are here JUST in time! Glad you made it!

I'm in!! I will try to keep up a little better this go round. Looking forward to live updates too. :thumbsup2
I am the queen of falling behind on TRs! No worries, Cherie!
Sorry about the live updates... when you have 8 people to entertain on a trip, I learned there is NO down time! I didn't get on the Disboards at ALL! :sad2:

Sorry I missed the send off, but last week was crazy. I hope by now you are experiencing alot of pixie dust. pixiedust:

I look forward to reading about your adventures when you return.:goodvibes
We sure did have our fair share of pixie dust! Sometimes it showered down from the sky in buckets! :rolleyes:

Joining along!

I bet yall are having a blast :goodvibes

Looking forward to the live updates!
Welcome!! Thanks for joining along. I apologize for the lack of live updates. This is the first time we have brought family along... I didn't realize that there would be NO down time for updating! The good news is that I will be getting this TR up and going very quickly! Stay tuned!! :woohoo:

I'm here! Sorry we never ran into you guys but sure hope you had an amazing trip, can't wait to hear all about it!!!
Lesley

We were there at the same time! Just got back yesterday...I remember reading your TRs in the past...looking forward to reading more!

Welcome back. Can't wait to hear about your Grand Gathering trip. I'm sure the girls loved to see all the princesses together.:) Did Tyson test the guys ability to keep up with him?

I'm here! Sorry we never ran into you guys but sure hope you had an amazing trip, can't wait to hear all about it!!!
Lesley
I felt the power of Timandlesley, though.. I knew you were there in spirit!! Did Diane tell you I ran into her and the boys at Hollywood Studios?! Sounds like y'all had an AMAZING cruise. Are you starting a TR or a blog anywhere about your adventure?

We were there at the same time! Just got back yesterday...I remember reading your TRs in the past...looking forward to reading more!
So glad you found me! Are you doing a TR too? I'd love to hear how other families dealt with some of those rain moments!! Wow!!

Welcome back. Can't wait to hear about your Grand Gathering trip. I'm sure the girls loved to see all the princesses together.:) Did Tyson test the guys ability to keep up with him?

Pictures are on Photobucket... hoping to kick this off tomorrow! Tyson certainly dragged his grandpa and uncle around! They loved every minute, tho!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter