SOOZE -A vacation with a toddler is NOT a vacation! FINISHED!!

Sooze

DIS Veteran
Trip Report Index
Episode #1 Day #1 Flight and Arrival
Episode #2 Day #1 At the Boardwalk
Episode #3 Day #1 A Lazy Afternoon
Episode #4 Day #1 Evening at Epcot
Episode #5 Day #2 Morning at MK with EMH
Episode #6 Day #2 Afternoon at Epcot
Episode #7 Day #2 Dinner at ESPN
Episode #8 Day #3 Breakfast at O'Hana
Episode #8 Continued
Episode #9 Day #3 Morning at AK
Episode #10 Day #3 Lunch at Hurricane Hanna's
Episode#11 Day #3 Another evening at Epcot
Episode #12 Day #4 AMAZING Morning at MK
Episode #13 Day #4 Afternoon at MGM Stars and Cars Parade
Pictures of Stars and Cars Parade
A few more pictures from the parade
Episode #14 Day #4 Wrapping up the trip with Illuminations
Epilogue - Souvies
List of things we learned about Toddler Travel!

Keep reading below for the Pre Trippie.. if you're interested!

I just had a panic attack... My ticker says ONE MONTH (and four weeks... which is almost like two months... ) but it still says ONE MONTH!

I need SOOOO much help from everyone... I hope you're ready for an extremely interactive pre trip report. Strap in!

Here are the basics, ready?...

CAST:

Me:cutie: My name is Susie. I am an elementary teacher who lives in the suburbs of Indianapolis. I love all things artsy fartsy... dance, music, singing, theatre, etc. I am married to a band director, which (in Indiana) basically means I'm a single mom. But I let it fly since my DH is as big of a Disney freak as I am.

Favs at WDW: RnRoller Coaster, Voices of Liberty, Soarin', FotLK

DH:earsboy: Matt is his name. The scariest most intimidating teddy bear you can imagine. People always thinks he hates them, but that's the mind game he likes to play. He is obsessed with Disney World because of the high standard they hold themselves to (among other things). He's a music fanatic (mostly in the symphonic realm... what a band geek)

Favs at WDW: Soarin', Illuminations, Voices of Liberty, Expedition Everest

DS :stitch2: Ty will turn 7 in July. He's humungous for his age, bigger than most of my third graders... but is still a baby (and a total mama's boy) at heart. Slowly becoming infiltrated with the Disney obsession.

Favs at WDW: Test Track, Mission Space (green side) and Buzz Lightyear. He also loves the chicken strips at Hurricane Hannah's at BCV.

DD::MinnieMo Shae will be an 18 month old when we take this trip. I'm scared to death about returning with some awful toddler horror story, but I'm excited to death about seeing her reaction to all of the sights and sounds. She already recognizes and names Mickey, Minnie, and Ariel. (She has red hair, I had to get her into Ariel, didn't I?)

Favs at WDW: the last time she was there, she was 6 months old. She really enjoyed It's a Small World, and interacting with characters.
MinnieandShae.jpg

Here are some pics of the cast:
This was our family pic last Labor Day weekend.
TheHarloffsloveMickey.jpg

This is how goofy DH can be at almost all times:
07DisneyJanuary022.jpg
Makes you want to stay tuned, doesn't it?!;)

Here's a SLIGHTLY more updated picture of DD:
Spring07011.jpg

She's the one with the Pebbles hair. princess:

I promise, it is my ABSOLUTE GOAL to include as many possible pictures as I can with this TR. I know when I'm reading other TRs, I just LOVE to see pictures. So, that's what I'm striving for.

BASICS of TRIP:

Travel dates: Saturday, September 1-Wednesday, September 5
Flights: Direct from Indy to Orlando on NWA, already purchased
Magical Express already booked
Accomodations: Boardwalk Villas, One BR Villa
Tickets: DH and I have APs. I need to renew mine when we arrive. Will buy MYW ticket for DS. DD is FREE still:woohoo:
Food: We will be ordering groceries for delivery to our villa. We plan on eating breakfast and most dinners at "home". We have one ADR for a character breakfast at O'Hanas

I have SUCH a long way to go. But I need help.
Your first assignment is to help me locate the grocery service that will deliver to Orlando. If you can help me, I'd be very thankful. I don't have much time for research!

Let the pre-planning begin!:cool1:

What a lovely family! While I haven't used them yet, I read about grocer.com that will deliver food to the resorts. I have also read that if it's a big order you need to order soon. Good luck and I look forward to reading more!!:yay:

Loving it so far, love the pics. I swear we were separated at birth, so much in common/ common Disney obsession/ profession/ interests and crazy husbands. Lovin' it. I can't be a help on the grocery realm but we used Costco to deliver water and it was GREAT! Bet they would deliver other stuff in bulk too, shipping was FREE!!! By the way, TAKE ME WITH YOU!!!!
Lesley

I love the red hair on your little girl! I think redheads are so cute! Are you guys DVC members? We just joined during our trip in November. We are going back this December and staying at BCV/SSR. We are getting AP too! We are debating then going back in Sept 2008 so we get the full value of the APs. Can't wait to read about your trip to see how Sept is and see about BWV. I would love to stay there one day. We love the Boardwalk area!

I heard great things about www.gardengrocer.com. I tried to do it last trip but there was no delivery times when I tried to order a week before. So my suggestion is to book it atleast a month in advance so they have times available. I am definitely going to do it this trip since we are staying in an one-bedroom with a kitchen! Can't wait to read more!

Great report so far! I love seeing pictures too, but it is a bit of a hassle to incorporate them into trip reports! Your daughter is such a doll! Your son is a cutie also! I absolutely love the little monorail detail in your signature! May I steal it?? Check out the beginning to me pre-trip report!
I can't wait to read more!

I'm scared to death about returning with some awful toddler horror story, but I'm excited to death about seeing her reaction to all of the sights and sounds.

I am glad I am not the only one who dearly fears this! My daughter will be 17 months and is usually happy- but boy has a temper at moments! Lucky duck to be going to Disney during the school year, I am a :teacher: too!

What sweet pics of your family! Love the excitement in your little ones face when seeing the characters.

Great start to your pre-trip report!! I can't help with the grocery delivery. This August will be my first trip staying on Disney property. :woohoo: Your kids are absolutely adorable!

Sorry, I can't get on the Colts' bandwagon with you - they beat my beloved Bears this year. :sad1: But, I can let that slide and stick around for your report!! Disney can make friends of anyone!! ;)

I look forward to reading more!

Michelle

What a lovely family! While I haven't used them yet, I read about grocer.com that will deliver food to the resorts. I have also read that if it's a big order you need to order soon. Good luck and I look forward to reading more!!:yay:

Thanks! I got on and registered, but need to do my shopping quickly so I can schedule the right time. I plan on doing that today!

Loving it so far, love the pics. I swear we were separated at birth, so much in common/ common Disney obsession/ profession/ interests and crazy husbands. Lovin' it. I can't be a help on the grocery realm but we used Costco to deliver water and it was GREAT! Bet they would deliver other stuff in bulk too, shipping was FREE!!! By the way, TAKE ME WITH YOU!!!!
Lesley

I'm so glad you're here! I'm so excited to get this going, especially after reading your amazing TRs!

I love the red hair on your little girl! I think redheads are so cute! Are you guys DVC members? We just joined during our trip in November. We are going back this December and staying at BCV/SSR. We are getting AP too! We are debating then going back in Sept 2008 so we get the full value of the APs. Can't wait to read about your trip to see how Sept is and see about BWV. I would love to stay there one day. We love the Boardwalk area!

YES! My husband convinced me to join DVC a few years ago and we are SOOOOO glad we did. My favorite way to justify the extra expense is that it "forces us to take vacations". We go twice a year, once with kids, once just US. We bought into SSR but prefer to stay at BWV or BCV because we can walk to Epcot (Our fav park) It will be our first time at BWV. I'll let you know what we think!

I heard great things about www.gardengrocer.com. I tried to do it last trip but there was no delivery times when I tried to order a week before. So my suggestion is to book it atleast a month in advance so they have times available. I am definitely going to do it this trip since we are staying in an one-bedroom with a kitchen! Can't wait to read more!

I just LOVE having the kitchen! A lot of people think, "I'm on vacation, I'm not cooking"... but when you like to think of WDW as your "home away from home", being able to run to the fridge to grab a Diet Coke, or pop some popcorn before bed makes it so much "home-i-er"!

Great report so far! I love seeing pictures too, but it is a bit of a hassle to incorporate them into trip reports! Your daughter is such a doll! Your son is a cutie also! I absolutely love the little monorail detail in your signature! May I steal it?? Check out the beginning to me pre-trip report!
I can't wait to read more!

You know, once I got the photobucket thing KIND OF figured out, adding pictures wasn't such a big deal. My biggest problem is FORGETTING to TAKE them:confused3 . I'm always so wrapped up in the moment, that I forget to save them on a picture. But after seeing how much they add to TRs, I'm vowing to take more!

I am glad I am not the only one who dearly fears this! My daughter will be 17 months and is usually happy- but boy has a temper at moments! Lucky duck to be going to Disney during the school year, I am a :teacher: too!

Same here. Shae is really a good little toddler (most of the time) but anything as over-stimulating as a trip to WDW can send the most gentle of beasts into a frenzy! As long as I'm prepared and can stay calm, I'm sure we'll be fine! I have already told myself that DH and DS can certainly hang out at the parks all day, but if Shae needs a break, I'll have a one-BR villa at one of the finest resorts in WDW to go "home" to! Not such a bad deal!

My DH and I make sure we use our leave days at school wisely, because we take two days off around Labor Day, and two more after New Years. Our issue now is that DS is going into 1st grade. We are starting to question pulling him out of school for 2 days. As long as he's doing well academically, I think it's okay. But we may have to revisit that thought in the future! It's just so nice to travel during the school year because our DVC points go so much farther, and the crowds are smaller...

What sweet pics of your family! Love the excitement in your little ones face when seeing the characters.

Thanks! We really had fun watching her interact with the characters..and they spent TONS of time with her.. which was so cool:thumbsup2

Great start to your pre-trip report!! I can't help with the grocery delivery. This August will be my first trip staying on Disney property. :woohoo: Your kids are absolutely adorable!

Sorry, I can't get on the Colts' bandwagon with you - they beat my beloved Bears this year. :sad1: But, I can let that slide and stick around for your report!! Disney can make friends of anyone!! ;)

I look forward to reading more!

Michelle

Hey, I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago, so the Bears were my ORIGINAL team.. I became an Indy convert when Peyton came. Welcome to my TR.. hope you stick around! ;)

Wow! That was simple! I went to greengrocer.com. They are already set up for delivery to all Disney resorts.. I just had to pick BWV and all of the information immediately loaded into the order form.. cool!!

I have coming to the resort:

milk, orange juice, apple juice, lots of Diet coke
pop tarts, cereal, fruit, bread
lunch meats, cheese, mustard, mayo
popcorn, cheez-its, pringles, oreo cookies;) mac n cheese singles
Total cost: $70ish... The prices are ok... but certainly not WalMart!

I didn't get bottled water... My family isn't picky and can do with tap water. However, I was wondering if some of you bring your own water into the parks. Do they allow that? If so, I'll probably go back and add that to our order.

Any other suggestions?!! DVC provides dishwashing and laundry det., so I don't need that...

Thanks!

Yes, they do allow you to take in your own water. I was going to get some and freeze it - to try to keep it cold longer - then remembered we are staying at POP with no fridge/freezer!! ;) I will definitely be taking a bottle with me and just keep refilling as needed.

I looked at greengrocer, too and didn't think the prices looked too bad - especially for the convenience of it.

Yes, they do allow you to take in your own water. I was going to get some and freeze it - to try to keep it cold longer - then remembered we are staying at POP with no fridge/freezer!! ;) I will definitely be taking a bottle with me and just keep refilling as needed.

I looked at greengrocer, too and didn't think the prices looked too bad - especially for the convenience of it.

I will have to get back online and get us some water, then!!;)

Next issue, getting an 18 month old through the airport, on a plane, through another airport, onto a ME bus, and to our Villa without having to drag a stroller AND a car seat (two things we won't even be using once we get to WDW! We plan on renting a big ol' stroller once we get to the parks)

I know they make and sell combo car seats/strollers. But I really don't plan on using this for more than this trip.. and possibly the next year's trip. Does anyone know if you can RENT a combo car seat/stroller? Can anyone point me in the right direction? Does anyone have any other advice about hauling the little one around without killing ourselves?

Thanks all!
Susie

Next issue, getting an 18 month old through the airport, on a plane, through another airport, onto a ME bus, and to our Villa without having to drag a stroller AND a car seat (two things we won't even be using once we get to WDW! We plan on renting a big ol' stroller once we get to the parks)

I know they make and sell combo car seats/strollers. But I really don't plan on using this for more than this trip.. and possibly the next year's trip. Does anyone know if you can RENT a combo car seat/stroller? Can anyone point me in the right direction? Does anyone have any other advice about hauling the little one around without killing ourselves?

Thanks all!
Susie

I have no idea if anyone rents stroller/car seat combos. Maybe you could use an umbrella stroller? Why are you taking the car seat if you won't be using it at WDW? I'm thinking if you don't need it, just leave it in your car at the airport. If you're using it on the plane, I have seen something to carry a car seat from One Step Ahead. It's called the Pac Back. They also have something called the Ride-On-Carry-On.

I'm not sure if either of these would work for you. Look around One Step Ahead. They always seem to have some kind of solution to different situations.

Good luck!! :flower3:

Hi! I just wanted to let you know that I am enjoying your pre-trip report. I read your last TR and it was great.:goodvibes About the water, I know you can bring your own in. One thing I learned from watching people at the parks, you can ask at any counter service restaurant for a cup of ice water and they will give it to you for free. When we asked for it they would fill a medium sized cup up and you could get as many as you needed. It really saved having to carry a bottle of water around with us.:)

I also enjoyed your last tr. I felt for you when you walked to (dtd?) in your flip flops & got blisters.
I've read on the boards here that people have bought bottled water at home & have it shipped down. It may be cheaper that way.
also- you were saying how just your dd may need to rest in the afternoon- You may find that your ds needs a rest also. (and some pool time)
Have fun!!!! I wish I was going too!:)

I have no idea if anyone rents stroller/car seat combos. Maybe you could use an umbrella stroller? Why are you taking the car seat if you won't be using it at WDW? I'm thinking if you don't need it, just leave it in your car at the airport. If you're using it on the plane, I have seen something to carry a car seat from One Step Ahead. It's called the Pac Back. They also have something called the Ride-On-Carry-On.

I'm not sure if either of these would work for you. Look around One Step Ahead. They always seem to have some kind of solution to different situations.

Good luck!! :flower3:

Thanks for the great ideas. I still wish I could rent something instead of buying, since we won't really be using it ...ever...:confused3 when we're done. DH said he would just carry the car seat if we needed to. We are definitely needing it since we bought a seat for Shae on the plane. I just think she will do so much better if she's strapped in her car seat. Anyone else agree?

Hi! I just wanted to let you know that I am enjoying your pre-trip report. I read your last TR and it was great.:goodvibes About the water, I know you can bring your own in. One thing I learned from watching people at the parks, you can ask at any counter service restaurant for a cup of ice water and they will give it to you for free. When we asked for it they would fill a medium sized cup up and you could get as many as you needed. It really saved having to carry a bottle of water around with us.:)

Good idea. I didn't realize you could get something free at Disney.;) Thanks for reading my TR from last time. This one should be so much more fun. Kids always create great writing material, no?

I also enjoyed your last tr. I felt for you when you walked to (dtd?) in your flip flops & got blisters.
I've read on the boards here that people have bought bottled water at home & have it shipped down. It may be cheaper that way.
also- you were saying how just your dd may need to rest in the afternoon- You may find that your ds needs a rest also. (and some pool time)
Have fun!!!! I wish I was going too!:)

Thanks for checking in! Those blisters were BRUTAL!!
And we definitely agree with not just the kids, but ALL of us needing an afternoon break. We usually hit the pool, then take a nap while the afternoon Florida monsoons come through! Then back out for the evening.

So DS enjoyed his 7th birthday party on Sunday.. just thought I'd share a few pics... notice my lovely CARS cake? I'm so proud!!:angel:

Summer07007.jpg

Summer07002.jpg

Happy birthday to your DS! Looks like everyone was having a great time. Great job on the cake!! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter