Soooo Mad!!!!!!!!!!

You are absolutely wrong when you think they won't cancel ressies!!!!! :sad2: :sad2: When this happened to me I was shocked ( my dinner ressie at my favorite restaurant was cancelled because I had a very late ressie for dessert at another restaurant. I only found out about the cancellation because I had called to see if I could add a person to it. We went over Christmas holiday and I found out about the cancellation when I was in Disney. There was no warning from them I spoke to two cro's about it and they were apologetic but they said that they cancel the first of multiple dinner reservations. They presume that the last one you make is the one you want. They told me they were doing alot of cancelling of adr's and that it was busy and they needed the other ressies. They were great with me and said they didn't know my much much later ressie was for dessert. I also had a good friend who was called by the Disney police :) years ago because she had booked a multilples and they asked her which one she wanted to keep.LOL I would have had a heart attack! Maybe they only do this when it is crowded , I really don't know. 2TRIPS 06 MOM I would definitely call Disney and protect your dining ressies!!!!!!!!!

Also I think that there is a higher demand for ADR's because of the dining plan so please be careful. There are going to be some very surprised multiple bookers....... :crazy:

I'm not taking any chances and will book my dessert ressie( I like to do one evening of this) after I have my early dinner!!!!! :)

DisneyMommyMichelle said:
i agree that Disney should cancel both ressies that are double booked. i've never had a problem with ressies, but i can feel for those that do.

We've legitamately made double bookings before. But we let the CM know why, when we make them, and have them note that they are both going to be used. We've been told that that sort of notation will ensure they're not cancelled.

Now, of course, people are going to ask "what's a legitamate reason".

There have been 2 scenarios, actually.

1) We were down at the Contemp for a conference. There was one night where my coworkers and I were going to do dinner without the families (it was, actually, work....recruiting prospective faculty). I volunteered to make our ressie for dinner, and my wife made a ressie for her and the kids at a different place.

2) There was a night where my wife was taking my daughter on some "special mommy/daughter" time in the parks while I was staying back at the resort with my son. Again, we booked seperate ressies: Hers was in the park, mine back at the resort.

Edit: I should add, and be much clearer, that my wife acutally MADE all the bookings, and they were under her name (even my work dinner)....so while I say I volunteered to make our ressie, I guess what I should say is I volunteered my wife to make our ressie. :)

pilferk said:
We've legitamately made double bookings before. But we let the CM know why, when we make them, and have them note that they are both going to be used. We've been told that that sort of notation will ensure they're not cancelled.

Now, of course, people are going to ask "what's a legitamate reason".

There have been 2 scenarios, actually.

1) We were down at the Contemp for a conference. There was one night where my coworkers and I were going to do dinner without the families (it was, actually, work....recruiting prospective faculty). I volunteered to make our ressie for dinner, and my wife made a ressie for her and the kids at a different place.

2) There was a night where my wife was taking my daughter on some "special mommy/daughter" time in the parks while I was staying back at the resort with my son. Again, we booked seperate ressies: Hers was in the park, mine back at the resort.

Edit: I should add, and be much clearer, that my wife acutally MADE all the bookings, and they were under her name (even my work dinner)....so while I say I volunteered to make our ressie, I guess what I should say is I volunteered my wife to make our ressie. :)

I've done this too... Technically, I don't see that as double booking.... Double booking is where you, your wife and kids want to make two reservations on the same nite, say at Crystal Palace and LeCellier (both fairly popular places) because you don't know whether you want the Character Buffet for your kids enjoyment or LeCellier because you just may feel on that nite that you can't take another Character meal so you cancel CP just a few hours before the reservation time... That's what most of us are talking about.... We all have to eat and if some in the party want one restaurant and the others want another...That's okay .... The other example is nothing but an example of selfishness and inconsideration toward others....

We are double booked for some nights so that we can get dessert. I just keep two lists of ADRs attached to two different phone numbers and names. It can get confusing, but we really want to try a lot of different restaurants, and when I was booking them the CM told me one or both of them could potentially be canceled. To avoid this I just used my name and my husbands name to book. My husband's name is being used for dinner, and my name is being used for dessert (we have different last names).

I asked about making a double adr for an evening dinner at one time then later that evening towards fireworks time, or even not just as an end to the day making a dessert ressie. The dining CM told me I was not allowed to make 2 reservations for the same evening if it's in the time frame of dinner dining. You couldnt have 2 ressies in the same time fram as breakfast, lunch, or dinner. She said the comp will cancel one or both out after it is put into the system. I had asked to do this because of the scary looks of the new ddp and since we are going to be on our honeymoon we thought having dessert at like rose and crown or something along those lines would be nice, but they said no can do. :confused3 :bride:

Double booking and splitting your party and going to 2 or 3 different restaurants are totally different things.

My understanding after discussion with CM is that if you have 4 in your party, the system won't identify or cancel 2 different ADRs for 2 people each even though they are in the same name as the system shows 4 in the party and you have reservations for 4 people. It will identify and cancel the first made if you make ADRs for 4 for an early dinner and then another late ADR for 4 for dessert. It doesn't know that the ressie is going to be dessert only UNLESS you tell the CM when you make the ressie and they put a special note/code on it.

Again from discussion, the system doesn't automatically cancel multiple ADRs, but CMs are supposed to cancel them if/when they identify them. I couldn't get any understanding of how they are supposed to find them.

Simple courtesy would dictate one ADR per meal per person, and cancelling any ADR you can't or choose not to keep, even if it is only a few hours notice. Things do happen (sick kid, etc), but by cancelling, you open a spot for someone else--even if that someone is a late caller or walk-up.

And...I am grateful to the person who cancelled their LeCellier ADR on the same day. I called about noon and was told that there was no availability for the rest of our trip. I called again about 4 pm, and we were able to get an ADR for 5:50 that evening. So...thank you to someone who was gracious enough to cancel.

I am so glad that we are still discussing this subject, which can be touchy, and keeping it within guidelines...

Bottom line here, if you are not going to be able to keep a reservation....do the pay it forward thing, cancel it so that someone else may be able to fill that time slot.

I will stand by my original post here with this is Disney's policy and they need to enforce it. If they are indeed doing that by cancelling what they perceive as double reservations, than so be it. If you are doing one for dinner and one for dessert, you might want to make sure you explain when making those reservations to assure that you are not cancelled out of your ADR...especially since it will look like it is the same party for two restaurants on the same night.

Ms.Mouse said:
I've done this too... Technically, I don't see that as double booking.... Double booking is where you, your wife and kids want to make two reservations on the same nite, say at Crystal Palace and LeCellier (both fairly popular places) because you don't know whether you want the Character Buffet for your kids enjoyment or LeCellier because you just may feel on that nite that you can't take another Character meal so you cancel CP just a few hours before the reservation time... That's what most of us are talking about.... We all have to eat and if some in the party want one restaurant and the others want another...That's okay .... The other example is nothing but an example of selfishness and inconsideration toward others....

But, for the DIS system, the two things look and act exactly the same way. They see 2 ressies in the system for the same "crew", under the same name.

For my work ressie, one was for 12, the other for 3. Our room showed 4 people. So, in the system, there was no way to tell it wasn't a "double booking", as you define it, where we make 2 ressies with the intent not to use one. The only distinguishing characteristic was our telling them both would be used.

And that's why I posted what I did. To assure others that, so long as you let the CM booking the ressies know what's going on, they shouldn't cancel one of your ressies on you.

kcashner said:
Double booking and splitting your party and going to 2 or 3 different restaurants are totally different things.

My understanding after discussion with CM is that if you have 4 in your party, the system won't identify or cancel 2 different ADRs for 2 people each even though they are in the same name as the system shows 4 in the party and you have reservations for 4 people. It will identify and cancel the first made if you make ADRs for 4 for an early dinner and then another late ADR for 4 for dessert. It doesn't know that the ressie is going to be dessert only UNLESS you tell the CM when you make the ressie and they put a special note/code on it.

It may identify them (sort of a "hit list" generation") but it won't cancel them, at least not automatically. Again, I'll fall back on the work example. One ADR was for 12, one for 3. There were only 4 people in my room, so.....the computer would think I was double booking. The CM my wife talked to said, so long as we let her know what was going on, she could note the ressies and they would not be cancelled.

As I said, that's why I posted what I did...so others would know that they DON'T always cancell, provided you let them know at booking what the deal is.

Well I guess I have to give my opinion :)

So it is rude as heck to make 2 ADR's for the same night just so you have a choice on that day. Yup, rude. And it makes me think that it is okay that they cancel them on you. But then I see there are many scenarios where the reason for 2 ADR's was legit and if they cancel one it will ruin peoples plans. So that kind of stinks. It's kind of like Bicker always points out to us, the rule breakers make things harder for the honest folks. I am willing to be some of us simply forget to cancel the first and wouldn't mind if they cancel the first.

The good news is that we are all on the DIS and we know enough to book at the first possible moment and so we won't probably have a problem.

And if you cancel something, LET US KNOW! :)

I hate that the "magic" gets dashed by stuff like this. I also hate that those of us with the dining plan are sometimes looked down upon. This is our first trip with the free dining, and we made our trip during this time for that reason. We got our reservations last month for a trip the last week of September, and had NO problems with any of them. I must add, though, that I purposely avoided the "busy" B, L, and D times so as not to run into problems getting them. Also, we are trying to go to new places each trip just to give them a try. I have had to change 2 ressies already, and had no problem getting the new time slot either time. Maybe we just aren't hitting the hot spots, I don't know, but there are a lot of places to eat and a lot of things to do at WDW, so maybe things would be better if people did not put SO much emphasis on dining at specific places on specific days at specific times.

After reading these boards for the last couple of years, it really makes me sad to see so many conflicts with everything. I wish that everyone could have the fun that we have! party:

I really think most people don't understand that unlike a lot of other places, Disney reserves no tables for walk-ins. Once that table is booked with an ADR, it really does take the opportunity away from someone else to eat there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter