"Something really needs to be done about our mental health system..."

I'm a mom whose 20 year old son was diagnosed with schizophrenia in 2010. He died in 2011. I'm not political and it sounds like people here know more about that part of it than I do..but I'm a person that knows first hand how janked up the system is.

We went thru hell trying to get my son help. After we convinced a county mental health service worker of my son's scary symptoms (we were afraid of him at this point-and all his life prior he was the sweetest kindest most gentle soul) he spent almost 2 months in a state mental hospital then was released with a baggie of meds and an appointment with family services to live at home with us. we spent 11 months in a quest for help. we saw a psychiatrist weekly (best i could find and outside our insurance so a big oop cost)..tried probably 10 to 12 diff antipsychotics..also VERY costly..fought to have him allowed in therapy groups...tried to have him placed in a group home (all full and with long wait lists) looked at private placement (think sad nursing home) I couldn't do that...

I was told by the intake manager at one of our county's programs to drop him at a homeless shelter if he became too much of a burden. I will never forget that. We came to them the Friday before my son died...basically begging for help.we were told by his psychiatrust they be able to place him in a simple job and offer more services and she had nothing 2offer except the option to dump him. She said my son isn't "group material"...so too bad.

during the year of hell my son tried to commit suicide 5x. he was hospitalized for a week each time then given the boot.discharged to us. but each hospitalization the arrogant doctors would put him on whatever their choice of meds was..never asking what he was already taking so ca using more chemical imbalances. we were lucky my son would sign the papers so the dr could communicate with us because my son was a mess..yet considered an adult and in charge of himself despite his serious mental illness.

it was a nightmare that ended in the worst way. I'm shaking typing this..I'm sad and MAD.

I found my son dead in his bed. the anti psychotic he was on at that time made him a zombie (well they all did) he died of an overdose of Zantac of all things. he was probably so out of it her didn't know what he was doing and chugged a bottle of pills. I have guilt because i wasnt able to supervise him around the clock. the week prior we had sat in the social security office while he slept with his head on their desk in a drug induced daze. I answered the interview questions..trying to get him ssi and medicaid (per family svc social worker) so he could get more or "better" help from the system because our private insurance was actually a hinderence. His psychiatrist (at this time we had moved on 2a 2nd) said what really needed to be done was he needed 2 spend a year or so in a mental hospital under 24/7 supervision while trying to get meds to work for him.

Earlier of the week he died I spoke with a very kind man in charge of a group home who directed me to call our county mental health director and tell them what we have gone thru looking for help&placement for our son and find out if there was any possible solution or other ideas. I did call and left a brief message. I never received a call back.

I happened to start a blog in august 2011 just as a way to release my fears and sadness over the situation. it's very personal and raw..and embarrassing & sad..but I'll share the link if anyone wants. Mental illness is a very isolating disease. It's brutal that way and dealing with it dragged everyone in my family down. If it helps anyone 2read about our struggle - even to read it and see where I went wrong trying to get help and do it differently for themselves I'll share the link.

Sorry for typos etc..this was hastily and shakily typed on my cell with flashbacks and tears. My heart goes out to all who struggle with mental illness.

I believe that people who have real mental problems get rotten care and no sympathy. Because you cant prove it, so people say they have some issues to excuse there behavior

I'm a mom whose 20 year old son was diagnosed with schizophrenia in 2010. He died in 2011. I'm not political and it sounds like people here know more about that part of it than I do..but I'm a person that knows first hand how janked up the system is.

We went thru hell trying to get my son help. After we convinced a county mental health service worker of my son's scary symptoms (we were afraid of him at this point-and all his life prior he was the sweetest kindest most gentle soul) he spent almost 2 months in a state mental hospital then was released with a baggie of meds and an appointment with family services to live at home with us. we spent 11 months in a quest for help. we saw a psychiatrist weekly (best i could find and outside our insurance so a big oop cost)..tried probably 10 to 12 diff antipsychotics..also VERY costly..fought to have him allowed in therapy groups...tried to have him placed in a group home (all full and with long wait lists) looked at private placement (think sad nursing home) I couldn't do that...

I was told by the intake manager at one of our county's programs to drop him at a homeless shelter if he became too much of a burden. I will never forget that. We came to them the Friday before my son died...basically begging for help.we were told by his psychiatrust they be able to place him in a simple job and offer more services and she had nothing 2offer except the option to dump him. She said my son isn't "group material"...so too bad.

during the year of hell my son tried to commit suicide 5x. he was hospitalized for a week each time then given the boot.discharged to us. but each hospitalization the arrogant doctors would put him on whatever their choice of meds was..never asking what he was already taking so ca using more chemical imbalances. we were lucky my son would sign the papers so the dr could communicate with us because my son was a mess..yet considered an adult and in charge of himself despite his serious mental illness.

it was a nightmare that ended in the worst way. I'm shaking typing this..I'm sad and MAD.

I found my son dead in his bed. the anti psychotic he was on at that time made him a zombie (well they all did) he died of an overdose of Zantac of all things. he was probably so out of it her didn't know what he was doing and chugged a bottle of pills. I have guilt because i wasnt able to supervise him around the clock. the week prior we had sat in the social security office while he slept with his head on their desk in a drug induced daze. I answered the interview questions..trying to get him ssi and medicaid (per family svc social worker) so he could get more or "better" help from the system because our private insurance was actually a hinderence. His psychiatrist (at this time we had moved on 2a 2nd) said what really needed to be done was he needed 2 spend a year or so in a mental hospital under 24/7 supervision while trying to get meds to work for him.

Earlier of the week he died I spoke with a very kind man in charge of a group home who directed me to call our county mental health director and tell them what we have gone thru looking for help&placement for our son and find out if there was any possible solution or other ideas. I did call and left a brief message. I never received a call back.

I happened to start a blog in august 2011 just as a way to release my fears and sadness over the situation. it's very personal and raw..and embarrassing & sad..but I'll share the link if anyone wants. Mental illness is a very isolating disease. It's brutal that way and dealing with it dragged everyone in my family down. If it helps anyone 2read about our struggle - even to read it and see where I went wrong trying to get help and do it differently for themselves I'll share the link.

Sorry for typos etc..this was hastily and shakily typed on my cell with flashbacks and tears. My heart goes out to all who struggle with mental illness.

My heart goes out to you. I'm so very sorry for the torment you went through and for your terrible loss. :grouphug:

This is an interesting thread. Mental health has so many variables to it. For example, my sister has a mental illness; and she sees a Psychologist and a psychiatrist once a week. She is also on medication and has gotten this kind of help for over 7 years. I can tell you, my sister is not doing any better in her illness. In fact, she is worse than when she started this journey. Why? Because she isn't truthful with her doctors and her immediate family are codependent. So we can throw all the help at someone .... but will they truly use it? Most maybe...... some not.

Sadly, it's the same up here. My husband has severe depression and I'm pretty sure some PTSD from his moms death that is going untreated because his doctors solution to everything is to throw more pills at him. We can't afford therapy and the waiting lists for 'low cost' therapists are ridiculous. It's a no win situation and it's so frustrating because I hurt to see how much he suffers.
You live in Canada...right?

I'm so sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine your pain. There is no way you can supervise an adult 24/7, I pray you find peace knowing you did all you could. As a Mother, my heart breaks for you and as a human being, I too am angry reading what you went through.

Thank you so much for sharing that story. I know it had to be very painful for you to put that out here. It was hard for me to even read it as I'm picturing my own 20 year old son and it just makes me cry.

I live in Northern VA and we had one of our state public officials (Creigh Deeds--search out his story) happen to him and his son, who I believe was also in his early 20s and had been diagnosed with mental illness in the previous years. He was having some sort of breakdown and stabbed his father, ran off, and ended up committing suicide. The family (a politician no less) had tried to get him admitted into a facility only days prior and even they couldn't do it. It's really unacceptable. The politician is trying to use his position to advocate for better services but I don't think it's gaining any traction.

Where do we start? Many won't go for help because the cost for treatment and/or medication isn't affordable. Sadly, sometimes the diagnosis du jour is incorrect and medication can do more harm, than good.

Some desperately need long term care and treatment, but it's very expensive. Personally, I believe this is the reason many are denied the treatment, that is needed. Only so much money and so few beds. They mostly handle crisis situations and hand out meds.

Others, won't seek treatment, due to the stigma. They don't want a life altering label tattooed onto their forehead for the world to see...damaged goods, crazy, unstable, etc. Oh and now, some had decided, that warning label should include dangerous and potential killer. No cure. Damned for all time.

Good points, however, I do disagree on the bolded point. Psychotropic drugs should of course be monitored but talk therapy is not always going to fix or even help the problem. Example, Schizophrenia, this condition is not fixable and while talk therapy may have some benefit in the early years, it is not reasonable or realistic to require therapy for a persons lifetime. :D
You certainly have more experience than I do in that particular case and you may well be right.

My thoughts, having not lived with someone with such a diagnosis, are that the danger to both the person with the condition and to the rest of us is when that person feels fine so they stop taking their medicine (most don't but enough do that is can be a problem). Requiring people on such drugs to have a regular, every 4 or 6 week meeting with a therapist who gets to know them and is trained in the right kinds of questions to ask to ascertain if there are personality changes consistent with not taking the drugs anymore, talk through bit of how thing are going, etc doesn't seem out of line to me. My husband has high blood pressure that is not going away and he has to go in every 6 weeks for blood work, etc, I have to go in every 8 weeks for a full work up with my asthma (as does my son), etc regular care linked to having long term medical conditions treated with medicine is not a bad thing and when health care reform makes that reasonably affordable and available to all should not place an undue burden on anyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter