someone who just got off of the Dream this weekend...

We are just off the Dream, but I honestly don't think I know. My husband said he heard their names, and he would most likely be able to confirm or deny if you threw a few names out there but he can't remember them off the top of his head.

I hope this doesn't sound snarky, it's totally not my intention, but I'm really curious about this information. Are some cruise directors and captains better than others? I'm honestly not trying to start something, just genuinely curious about what one does with this information.

Honestly we have not known (not saying it hasn't happened....but if it did it was,probably a rarity) others to captain the Dream other than Capt'n Henry or Capt'n Guus. And we LOVE BOTH!!!!
Now as far as the CDs, we definitely have our favorite and our less than favorite. We feel the CD sets the tone of the ship and some do a much better job than others. That is our opinion and no on has to agree but it does not make us wrong.
We have not cruised with Jimmy but he has not gotten good reviews from people with similar opinions of what they like in a CD. I guess we will see. :)

I hope this doesn't sound snarky, it's totally not my intention, but I'm really curious about this information. Are some cruise directors and captains better than others?

I don't know about captains, but I cannot imagine a DCL cruise without Christiaan as CD. So far I haven't had a cruise without him ,and I hope I never will. What would the disembarkation video be like, without him talking about his son's Thomas the Tank....er....Mickey toy?

And I rarely go to a show (so I don't see his talks much), etc, but I just adore him. He even took charge and made things happen for the January Castaway Cay Challenge this year, when the rundisney folks were doing something silly.

I don't know about captains, but I cannot imagine a DCL cruise without Christiaan as CD. So far I haven't had a cruise without him ,and I hope I never will. What would the disembarkation video be like, without him talking about his son's Thomas the Tank....er....Mickey toy?

And I rarely go to a show (so I don't see his talks much), etc, but I just adore him. He even took charge and made things happen for the January Castaway Cay Challenge this year, when the rundisney folks were doing something silly.
And We CANNOT stand him!!! LOL
I would be thrilled to never cruise with him again!!! I wish there was a way to know who was going to be on a ship and when. We would sign up for cruises that our favorite CD was on.
CDs can be a very personal preference and when you cruise more and start going to events where you interact with the senior officers, you get to know them better. Some personalities mesh and some don't I guess.

I, too, found Christiaan, just meh. Jimmy is by far my favorite CD, you will love him! So down to earth and approachable.

I agree, we have had Jimmy 3 times and he seems very nice and approachable. I think sometimes he comes across as a little bit scripted which might turn some people off, but I think he is genuinely a nice guy.

Honestly we have not known (not saying it hasn't happened....but if it did it was,probably a rarity) others to captain the Dream other than Capt'n Henry or Capt'n Guus. And we LOVE BOTH!!!!
Now as far as the CDs, we definitely have our favorite and our less than favorite. We feel the CD sets the tone of the ship and some do a much better job than others. That is our opinion and no on has to agree but it does not make us wrong.
We have not cruised with Jimmy but he has not gotten good reviews from people with similar opinions of what they like in a CD. I guess we will see. :)

Okay, so I can see where a CD can set the tone of a voyage, however, knowing beforehand doesn't change anything, right? I mean, it's not like you're going to cancel your cruise or something. :P

We got off the Dream a week ago today and Jimmy was the cruise director and Guus was the Captain.

Just got the Dream yesterday and that's who was there. I'd never heard of either one, but don't pay much attention to who the Captain is and only notice the CD during shows. I liked Jimmy. He seemed like a nice guy and got people excited over the ship activities. :)

Okay, so I can see where a CD can set the tone of a voyage, however, knowing beforehand doesn't change anything, right? I mean, it's not like you're going to cancel your cruise or something. :P
No, not going to cancel.... :)
But if it is the CD we really do not care for, I would like to know ahead of time so we can mentally prepare ourselves. ;)
Like I have said, I would love it if there was a way to select your cruise based on staff but alas we cannot. :) But it is nice to be able mentally prepare.... ;)

I have to park myself in the camp of 'I love christiaan. we have not had him since leaving the magic for the fantasy though. I have a very good friend who work on the magic with christiaan and he said he was a very popular guy with the staff, that even though he is an office he was always interacting with the crew were some of the officers don't.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter