Someone explain to me what the heck a "home resort" is?

agame2323

DIS Veteran
I read several post where people are talking about one Resort being their home resort but staying at another resort. I don't get it.

For example: Someone said they stay at AKV but also use points at BCV.

This stuff is so confusing! :furious:

:) In 2009 my DH and I purchase our 210 DVC vacation points at AKV (Animal Kigdom Villas), so that is our "home resort". I can book a reservation there 11 months before my wanted check in date. I get to reserve a room ahead of folks who do not "own" there. At 7 months we can reserve a room using our "home" AKV points to stay at any of the DVC resorts provded there is availability. Many people will book at their home resort at 11 months then change at 7 months to stay somewhere else. DVCNews has a good website with FAQs.

;) And yes, I had to read and re-read the stickies about ownership and then read read read before I understood the program.

I read several post where people are talking about one Resort being their home resort but staying at another resort. I don't get it.

You are purchasing a Right to Use timeshare. So you are purchasing real estate with an expiration date. The resort where your points are from is your home resort.

As another poster said, you are committing to a long-term real estate contract (like a lease.)

When you buy a contract at Beach Club Villas for 200 pts per year, that tells you a few things:

*when your resort contract expires – BCV contracts expire on Jan 31, 2042 (OTOH, Bay Lake Tower contracts, for example, don’t expire till 2060)

*how much you owe in annual dues (also called maintenance fees) each year - BCV contract owners are required to pay $5.64 per point during calendar year 2013 (OTOH, Vero Beach Resort contracts cost VB owners $7.40 per point - look for the stickied DVC resource thread for more information)

*that you have access to booking BCV at 11 months out with BCV pts from that BCV contract while other owners have to wait till 7 months out to see if BCV still has any availability at that date (If you also bought a 25 pt contract at HHI, then HHI would be another “home resort” but only for the 25 pts from that HHI contract – you’d need BCV pts to book BCV at 11 months out and HHI pts to book HHI at 11 months out…so until 7 months out, pts from each contract cannot be combined for booking purposes.)

It is not a RTU. It is a deeded timeshare with an expiration date. RTU are not deeded

You are purchasing a Right to Use timeshare. So you are purchasing real estate with an expiration date. The resort where your points are from is your home resort.

Your home resort is where you own your home and where you probably want to stay the most.

:earsboy: Bill

You own at your home resort, but you don't have to stay at your home resort.

Your home resort is the resort that you've purchased an interest in. Say that's AKV. If AKV is your home resort, you own a real estate interest - a share - in that resort. You pay your share of the upkeep and operational costs, and property taxes of AKV through your maintenance fees, and of course, you have the right to use your points to stay there, subject to availability, for the life of your contract.

Your contract also allows you to use your points at the other DVC resorts. So yes, you can own points at AKV, and also use those points at BCV.

As a DVC member it's the only place you can reserve at 11 months :flower3:
That's not entirely correct. Points retain their 11 month booking priority even if transferred to another member. I don't own at BCV but if I arranged for a BCV owner to transfer some BCV points into my account, I could use them to book BCV 11 months out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter