Somebody's Gonna Pee in a Cup, West Coast - Link to new TR 1/21

Glad your DS was feeling better the next day.

I can't believe that they held you that long before letting you into the park! Not surprised that RSR was down, but really not cool that the CMs didn't tell anyone that the ride was down. And TSMM was down too? :confused3 What's up Disney? California Screamin' is a good first ride.

Actually you are slightly mistaken about how rain can ruin a day at Disneyland. Remember how you said that it was only a slight mist when it rained in San Diego? That's actually what rain in Southern California is like, so when it rains, most people in So Cal bail on the parks for better weather and the wait times go way down. If you can handle running around in a poncho, you'll get a heck of a lot done on a rainy day in the parks.

The pictures from Airel's Grotto were very cute, your DD was obviously having a great time!

@franandaj, I lied. I have had Tri-tip that wasn’t ground up before.

I'm glad you liked it, us Californians like our Tri Tip! :thumbsup2

Thanks for the explanation of the Frozen Sing Along, I think I can skip that one. The rides in bugs land are kind of fun, I rode Heimlich Chew Chew train for the first time last year. I'm glad your DS finally enjoyed RSR, it's a great ride. Great that your DD loved Luigi's tires so much. I've only been on it once and I guess that will have been the only time.

Nice pictures with Lightning McQueen!

I’ll take an aside to mention one thing. As bad as Rope Drops are at WDW… and I’m including the past cluster that was the TSMM frenzy, I think it is crazier at DL. I mean people were flat out running. And I noticed this at both parks, every time we did a Rope Drop. I’ll get a little more in depth about this with our DL Rope Drop… but it was just crazy!
Really? This is so bizarre to me. We do RD every day when visiting DLR (well, with maybe one exception during our summer trip), and I don't remember any one of them being remotely as insane as a TSMM RD back in the day. I always see one or two ********* who try to run, but my experience has been that it's impossible for them to get far - at least with BIG things like RSR where there's a cadre of CMs and a gasoline-pump-themed rope held out between them while they WALK and let no one pass. HOWEVER, I have always done the DCA RD from the main entrance because, at least in the first year or two, that was key to getting on RSR fast (avoid the GCH entrance at RD). Maybe that made a difference? :confused3

I'm interested to read what you experienced at DL. I have never had a frantic RD there. Were A&E still meeting over there when you went? I guess that would explain it. I am so stupid - I can't remember which one of us was there first this January, but I think it was us, and by then, A&E were firmly ensconced in Frozen Land at DCA. So now I'm really intrigued about what could have made your DL RD insane! Hurry up with the updates so I can KNOW!!!!! :rotfl2:

Until we rounded the corner to the entrance to the queue. There was a rope up and a CM telling everyone that the ride was not operating yet. They funneled us all the way in only to turn around.
I feel like you had the worst possible luck on this trip. As you know, we had a morning on one of our trips (this last summer, I think) when RSR was closed at RD. That was the only time we have experienced that. And then you go for a once-in-a-lifetime trip to DLR and first-off RSR is closed at RD? It's insane!

We walked past Ariel’s Grotto and California Screamin’ and as we got to TSMM we found a familiar scene.

CM’s standing in front of a rope telling everyone the attraction is closed.
Seriously? I am so sorry. I feel like I have to apologize for our beloved DLR! :sad2:

I walked right on to California Screamin’.
Oh, Willow would pass out with jealousy. Every time we go by there, she stops and just looks longingly at this attraction. She hasn't hit 48 inches yet (at EIGHT years old), and she is so disappointed.

but DS didn’t look very good by the time they got done spinning around
Oh no.........

While she rode, I grabbed a picture of the guts of World of Color. I was really disappointed that it was undergoing refurbishment while we were there. It is one of the main things I really wanted to see while we were in Disneyland.
I am really disappointed about this too. This is one of the most special experiences at DLR because it is only available there, and it is truly amazing to see. I HATE that it was closed while you were there. :sad2:

This is where it hit me how much different DL is. There is no shade or protection from rain, to speak of, in that entire queue. I realize that it “never rains” at DL, but while a rain storm can easily be endured at WDW, it could certainly ruin a day at DL. There is just no escape from it!
Well, I will say that Willow and I always bring rain to DLR - every trip, we have had rain. And baffled our local friends every time - to the extent that, if it rains there, they are convinced that we must be in the vicinity. However, we have also never been deterred by the rain there - it is not like a Florida downpour (even though those are brief) - it's a West Coast drizzle. We are Pacific Northwesterners, so we know the drizzle. It doesn't really phase you. You put on a poncho (or don't) and keep going. You just don't get that wet. Thank goodness!

The FP line was now a more reasonable length and I was able to secure FPs for around 2pm.
I'm so glad you got such a great FP return time!!!!

I loved the queue and the theming there. I mean, it is a simple switchback queue, but I loved all the memorabilia hanging on the walls from the Mater’s Tall Tales episodes and all the little details like radiator caps on top of the poles that held the chains for the switchbacks.
I am cracking up at all the details you noticed! DD and I love this attraction (as you know), but we would never have described it as particularly well-themed. We LOVE CarsLand (more than almost any other Disney Land), but we are not big fans of the movies and just don't know them well at all. The best I could say for the theming of Mater's ride is that the ride is supposed to be a junk yard, and it looks like it! :rotfl2:

We both thought it was phenomenal. We truly didn’t have high expectations for the meal. We were doing it to get some princess time for DD and given the fact that it was a seafood centric restaurant, we were really impressed with our beef. It was very tender and the bbq sauce was just the right mix of sweet and tangy. Fantastic.
I'm so glad that you enjoyed Ariel's Grotto!!!!! We went there for Willow's 5th birthday but haven't been back since. I'm so happy to hear that it was a great experience for your family.

During our meal, we got to see Rapunzel.
Wow! That's a nice addition - she definitely wasn't there the last time we went. :laughing:

20150114_115105.jpg
Love how much your DD is obviously enjoying all of her princess meets. :goodvibes

DD had a blast meeting all of them. As you can tell from the pictures, she hardly touched her food because she was too distracted watching every move of the princesses.
Oh, I remember these years so well - I have so many pictures of Willow just gawking at the princesses making their way around CRT, Akershus, etc., not touching the food on her plate. :laughing:

We didn’t get any pictures, but it was a fun dark ride. The Laugh Floor at MK is fine, but I’d much prefer if they had a ride like this at WDW from Monsters Inc.
This is one of our faves too!

I have to say that I think they did it much better for the DL version. They took the Muppets theater and completely redecorated it. It looked like you were inside the castle at Arendelle rather than an empty soundstage. The show was basically the same, only this time one of the historians was an apprentice. The background story throughout the show was that Anna and the other historian were setting him up to be left to tell part of the story on his own. Of course he succeeded and officially was promoted from apprentice.
This is so interesting. I just assumed that they were pretty much identical. :confused3

But on the way out, we saw Flik out for his meet and greet. I was only joking when I pointed to him and asked DD if she wanted to go say hi.

I know, I’m cruel.
:rotfl2:

When we exited, I had a text from DW saying they were riding Luigi’s Flying Tires. DS and I headed into the line, but actually got on right after they got off. After we rode, we all got in line and rode again.

20150114_154424.jpg

I’ve got to say that I’m sorry this ride is gone. Our kids absolutely loved it!!! It was easily DD’s favorite ride.
I still just love how much your family enjoyed this attraction. We skipped it for many visits and, as you know, didn't get a lot out of it when we finally tried it. Obviously, we didn't know what we were doing! :laughing:

Your experience at the extra magic hour sounds a lot like our morning at the Studios park in Disneyland Paris. It is beyond frustrating to hoof it all over the park only to find everything worth riding early in the morning is closed!!

. I realize that it “never rains” at DL,

Oh, how I wish Mother Nature had gotten this message on our late-March trip! lol

That princess meal looks really great - awesome group of princesses to meet! DD looks like she is having the best time meeting them all.

Love the family pics in Cars Land! It's making me miss DCA so bad! It's always so hard leaving there because we don't ever know how long it will be before we are back, unlike WDW where we usually have an idea of when our next trip will be.

Yay! I've never won the internet before!

... yeah, I'm guessing that comment totally just made me un-win the internet
No. You won on Thursday. So you can't really vacate the title based on something that happens later.

But you didn't manage to defend your title. :rolleyes1

I'm not even sure whose TR I was reading when I stumbled over here to yours but I have been catching up on the entire thing for the past couple of days. I love the attitude you write with!! :) Can't wait to read more about your exciting adventures at DL! I have always wanted to go there and figure I'll make it some day. I just can't decide if my DH and I will do it as a couple or bring our DS, 5, who would absolutely go mad for Radiator Springs!
Welcome!!! I'm glad you stopped by and thank you for the compliment.

I was absolutely that way about DL before we finally got to go. I've always wanted to visit, but it just never worked out or made sense. I think it would be an awesome adults only trip, but yeah, your DS would love Radiator Springs!!!

Glad your DS was feeling better the next day.
::yes:: It was certainly a relief.

I can't believe that they held you that long before letting you into the park! Not surprised that RSR was down, but really not cool that the CMs didn't tell anyone that the ride was down. And TSMM was down too? :confused3 What's up Disney? California Screamin' is a good first ride.
Well, I'm glad to know that this isn't a common occurrence. Although it does suck that it had to happen on our first morning.

Actually you are slightly mistaken about how rain can ruin a day at Disneyland. Remember how you said that it was only a slight mist when it rained in San Diego? That's actually what rain in Southern California is like, so when it rains, most people in So Cal bail on the parks for better weather and the wait times go way down. If you can handle running around in a poncho, you'll get a heck of a lot done on a rainy day in the parks.
Ok, gotcha. To me rain is rain. Like actual drops. And wind. Not a heavy fog.

And that would definitely make for a rough day in the parks there.

If it ever happened. :rotfl2:

The pictures from Airel's Grotto were very cute, your DD was obviously having a great
Thanks. She definitely was. She loves the princesses!

I'm glad you liked it, us Californians like our Tri Tip! :thumbsup2
It was definitely a good lunch. We enjoyed the Tri Tip and everything that went with it.

Thanks for the explanation of the Frozen Sing Along, I think I can skip that one. The rides in bugs land are kind of fun, I rode Heimlich Chew Chew train for the first time last year. I'm glad your DS finally enjoyed RSR, it's a great ride. Great that your DD loved Luigi's tires so much. I've only been on it once and I guess that will have been the only time.
The Sing Along is a good show, but if you don't like Frozen or the songs in the movie it really probably isn't for you. You wouldn't be missing much, for sure.

RSR was absolutely amazing. It was worth the trip out there if only for that!

Nice pictures with Lightning McQueen!
Thanks. This is why we just decided we'd go ahead and do the Photopass for the trip. We figured we'd meet a few more characters, both in and out of Radiator Springs.

Really? This is so bizarre to me. We do RD every day when visiting DLR (well, with maybe one exception during our summer trip), and I don't remember any one of them being remotely as insane as a TSMM RD back in the day. I always see one or two ********* who try to run, but my experience has been that it's impossible for them to get far - at least with BIG things like RSR where there's a cadre of CMs and a gasoline-pump-themed rope held out between them while they WALK and let no one pass. HOWEVER, I have always done the DCA RD from the main entrance because, at least in the first year or two, that was key to getting on RSR fast (avoid the GCH entrance at RD). Maybe that made a difference? :confused3

I'm interested to read what you experienced at DL. I have never had a frantic RD there. Were A&E still meeting over there when you went? I guess that would explain it. I am so stupid - I can't remember which one of us was there first this January, but I think it was us, and by then, A&E were firmly ensconced in Frozen Land at DCA. So now I'm really intrigued about what could have made your DL RD insane! Hurry up with the updates so I can KNOW!!!!! :rotfl2:
I'm working on it! I actually started on my next update last week, but I just haven't had time to finish it.

Anyway, the CM's did lead us to Radiator Springs. We were a few rows deep in the crowd, so I don't know if they had the rope or not, but they were definitely walking in front of the pack and holding everyone behind them.

I think the problem, in this case, might have been magnified by the late RD. They held us basically by the entrance to Little Mermaid for a while and by the time they took us on towards Radiator Springs, that whole walkway was packed and the crowd was around the bend coming around Grizzly River Run. I don't know how far back it was lined up like that past the point where I could no longer see.

But as we started walking, those in the back were running up as any gaps would form or the walkway would widen. They weren't getting past the CM's but they were running to get to them.

I feel like you had the worst possible luck on this trip. As you know, we had a morning on one of our trips (this last summer, I think) when RSR was closed at RD. That was the only time we have experienced that. And then you go for a once-in-a-lifetime trip to DLR and first-off RSR is closed at RD? It's insane!
Well, based on the law of averages, RSR being down at RD seemed to be the norm from our small sample size.

Seriously? I am so sorry. I feel like I have to apologize for our beloved DLR! :sad2:
:faint: :sad2:

Oh, Willow would pass out with jealousy. Every time we go by there, she stops and just looks longingly at this attraction. She hasn't hit 48 inches yet (at EIGHT years old), and she is so disappointed.
She'll get there one of these days.

And she'll love it!!!!!

I am really disappointed about this too. This is one of the most special experiences at DLR because it is only available there, and it is truly amazing to see. I HATE that it was closed while you were there. :sad2:
I do too. I remember almost considering cancelling our trip when I saw it (as well as the Matterhorn) would be closed. I'm glad I didn't, but it did kill me seeing those 2 things every day, and not being able to enjoy them.

Well, I will say that Willow and I always bring rain to DLR - every trip, we have had rain. And baffled our local friends every time - to the extent that, if it rains there, they are convinced that we must be in the vicinity. However, we have also never been deterred by the rain there - it is not like a Florida downpour (even though those are brief) - it's a West Coast drizzle. We are Pacific Northwesterners, so we know the drizzle. It doesn't really phase you. You put on a poncho (or don't) and keep going. You just don't get that wet. Thank goodness!
Yeah. So technically you're saying even when it does rain there, it doesn't really rain. :rotfl2:

I'm so glad you got such a great FP return time!!!!
Anytime would have been good. As long as it was before 5 pm. We were just glad to have the FP's

I am cracking up at all the details you noticed! DD and I love this attraction (as you know), but we would never have described it as particularly well-themed. We LOVE CarsLand (more than almost any other Disney Land), but we are not big fans of the movies and just don't know them well at all. The best I could say for the theming of Mater's ride is that the ride is supposed to be a junk yard, and it looks like it! :rotfl2:
Well, you've got that part right.

I didn't even mention that the redneck farmboy nerd in me thought it was awesome that the tractors were Holstein Heifer Chewalls, playing off the McCormick-Deering Farmall brand that International Harvester tractors used to be produced as.

I'm so glad that you enjoyed Ariel's Grotto!!!!! We went there for Willow's 5th birthday but haven't been back since. I'm so happy to hear that it was a great experience for your family.
It really was a great character meal. I'm glad we went there!

Wow! That's a nice addition - she definitely wasn't there the last time we went. :laughing:
It was nice to see her. The kids like that movie. DD was just loving the princesses, even if she didn't know them, but it was nice to have ones she was familiar with.

Love how much your DD is obviously enjoying all of her princess meets. :goodvibes
::yes:: I think we've created a monster. We'll probably be hauling around bags full of glitter and princess dresses for a while now like you and @shan23877 .

Oh, I remember these years so well - I have so many pictures of Willow just gawking at the princesses making their way around CRT, Akershus, etc., not touching the food on her plate. :laughing:
And those were just from last year, right? :rotfl2:

This is one of our faves too!
It was a fun dark ride! I really liked it.

This is so interesting. I just assumed that they were pretty much identical. :confused3
They are. At least the video is. We didn't get the whole apprentice Historian set up at DHS like we did in DCA. But the way the story is presented, that is a very minor point and something that I could even see the actors potentially changing up on their own to keep things fresh.

If I recall correctly, during the parts where they were talking about the apprentice storyline at DCA, Anna was looking for Elsa and then Kristof during the show we saw at DHS. And Anna was clearly friends with the lead historian at DCA while both historians at DHS were starstruck and in total awe of her presence.

I still just love how much your family enjoyed this attraction. We skipped it for many visits and, as you know, didn't get a lot out of it when we finally tried it. Obviously, we didn't know what we were doing! :laughing:
It was your fault!!!!!! :rotfl:

Your experience at the extra magic hour sounds a lot like our morning at the Studios park in Disneyland Paris. It is beyond frustrating to hoof it all over the park only to find everything worth riding early in the morning is closed!!
Oh yeah. Definitely frustrating. And I can only imagine how you guys felt being on a tighter schedule!

Oh, how I wish Mother Nature had gotten this message on our late-March trip! lol
:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao: Hey, I'm just going by what the locals tell me. :rolleyes1

That princess meal looks really great - awesome group of princesses to meet! DD looks like she is having the best time meeting them all.
It was great! Not quite up to par with CRT in ambiance, but probably even a little bit better from the character standpoint.

Love the family pics in Cars Land! It's making me miss DCA so bad! It's always so hard leaving there because we don't ever know how long it will be before we are back, unlike WDW where we usually have an idea of when our next trip will be.
Thanks! I know what you mean. We always know it might be a few years before we get back to WDW, but we will be back. In this case, who knows when/if we'll make it back out there?

Ok, gotcha. To me rain is rain. Like actual drops. And wind. Not a heavy fog.

And that would definitely make for a rough day in the parks there.

If it ever happened. :rotfl2:

We get rain like that once every ten years or so and that's when all the luxury mansions slide off the cliffs and they put up K-rails and people have to be evacuated. Last time that happened was 2010, so we have some time before it happens again. :lmao:

Unbelievable! Well, you can always take your lemons and make snow cones.

'Cause that's what I want right now.
Snow cones.

:sad2:

And it was just on Saturday that I stopped for ice cream on my way to work...

What if you had maple bacon doughnuts as a side dish??

(Ok, I'll just show myself to door now.)

Last edited:

A Codfish on a Hook.

We had accomplished most of what we set out to accomplish that first day in DCA. It was time for us to head out of the park. But were we going back to the room??? Of course not!

We’d been on property for over 24 hours and had yet to step foot inside Walt’s original park. I don’t know how we managed to hold out for that long, but it was time to correct that situation!

20150114_160347.jpg

For those of you who haven’t been to Disneyland and aren’t familiar with the layout, this is one of my favorite things about the parks there. You are literally only steps away from the other park once you walk out the front gates. We exited DCA through the main entrance and walked a few hundred feet to Disneyland.

You can’t park hop like that at WDW.

We entered the park right at 4 pm. And how do I know that?

Because once we got into Town Square we found a spot to stop and watch the 4 o’clock parade.

Rope Drop isn’t the only thing that happens late at Disneyland. Even the 3 o’clock parade is late there. It doesn’t start until 4.

We were able to see the whole parade, but we didn’t get a picture of the pre-show with Anna & Elsa. They were going around the corner and down MS as we entered the park and were looking for a place to stop and see the parade.

They had a perimeter around the square roped off for parade viewers, and while it was crowded in the front few rows, we found a corner that was fairly open with a lot of room between us and the ones standing at the front. The kids were far enough back that they could see the floats without being held up.

20150114_161012.jpg

Oh yeah… looks like I forgot to mention that we grabbed some popcorn at the Cozy Cone when we met Lightning.

Anyway, by the time we stopped and took in our surroundings, it was a surreal moment. We were in Walt’s park. As many times as I’ve been to Disney World, something just felt different being there.

I was too dumb to even think to take a picture, but we were standing right in front of the firehouse and Walt’s personal apartment.

I borrowed a picture from @Captain_Oblivious ‘ TR from his family’s whirlwind 1 day Disneyland Marathon. If you haven’t read his TR’s in the past, I highly recommend you do. And if you want to see how to tour the southwest with a 2 park/1 day, borderline suicidal touring plan for Disneyland, he’s got you covered.

I asked if I could use this picture just as a point of reference so that those of you who may be WDW vets can see what I’m talking about.

And because it is a really good picture.

IMG_6710.jpg

If you notice in that top window, there is a light that is on. I’m sure many of you know the story, but the light used to indicate that Walt was in the park, and since his death, it has been left on in his memory. I was familiar with this story and it kind of struck me as a special moment to actually be standing there, in front of that building and seeing that light.

I made a point of looking up there and acknowledging it every time I entered or exited the park through Town Square.

That to me, was the big difference between WDW and DL. This was Walt’s park. You really could feel his presence.

It sounds corny, but I saw a picture in DLH that showed him standing on Main Street, right next to the trolley tracks. And I just had to go stand in that very spot the next day. He’d walked those streets. It was his park. And I was finally there. The feeling just can’t be described.

But enough of that, you want parade pictures? We’ve got ‘em… although they’re crappy cell phone pictures so the focus and quality leaves something to be desired.

20150114_161136.jpg

20150114_161413.jpg

As the last float passed by, we turned and made our way down the half of the sidewalk behind the ropes. Man, those DL sidewalks are tight. They rope off the first couple of feet of sidewalk for people to stand and watch the parade. Behind the rope there is room for 2 way, single file traffic. But just barely!

It was too crowded as we were fighting our way down Main Street and moving slightly faster than the parade, so I hadn’t really looked ahead to take in the castle yet. But once we got to the hub and looked up on the beauty and grandeur of… well a castle that might just be smaller than some of the toy castles at your local Toys R Us.

20150115_094325.jpg

I’d how small the castle is there. But I’m telling you, pictures and stories don’t quite tell the tale until you see it yourself. I don’t want to knock it, because it is certainly a beautiful structure and a wonderful gateway to Fantasyland, but it just doesn’t command your attention as you walk down Main Street the way Cinderella Castle does.

I just had to grab this picture on the way in to give you an idea of how small it actually looks once you’re in the park with the Matterhorn towering above it.

20150114_162357.jpg

We entered the park and made a left turn. We had plans for this evening, but thought we might try to fit in a couple of rides first. My number one priority once we entered Adventureland was to head on down to Indiana Jones and check the FP situation. I was able to secure FP for 4:55. Which may work… we had an ADR at 5:30. But Indy was a priority for me and I was able to grab FP so I figured I’d grab them and then see what happened.

Since we had time to kill, we decided to go take a look at the backside of water. We enjoyed the DL version of the Jungle Cruise. It is essentially the same schtick that you get at the WDW version, but there are some different scenes and animals in this cruise. It isn’t hugely different from the WDW version, but there are some subtle differences that make it worth checking out if you’re ever in DL and have time.

When our cruise ended, I still had a little bit of time before the FP was good for Indy. We decided to walk on down past Tarzan’s treehouse and take in the sights. A few minutes before the FP was good, we found a spot for DW and the kids to wait and I headed off to ride.

Yeah, selfish move on my part.

I wasn’t going to miss out on this one.

No way.

The queue winds deep into this subterranean temple. It is one of the few well themed queues you’ll find in Disneyland. You walk past all sorts of booby traps that will be familiar from the cinematic exploits of Dr. Jones.

Once you arrive and board your ride vehicle, as many of you know, it is very similar to the Dinosaur ride at AK.

Only way better.

Way better!

It’s just a really cool ride. If you’re an Indiana Jones fan it is certainly not one to be missed.

When I exited the temple, it was about 5:15. It took me about 20 minutes from the time I entered to queue to the time I returned. Our ADR was for 5:30, but I told DW to go ride anyway. We’d check in a few minutes late and hope it was ok. She headed in to ride and returned at about 5:40.

Thankfully, we didn’t have far to go. Our ADR was for Aladdin’s Oasis. We had gotten a Fantasmic! On-the-go dinner package. While they call it an on-the-go package, it really isn’t exactly quick service.

We arrived at Aladdin’s Oasis and they were turning people away who didn’t have an ADR. We explained that we had one, but were 10 minutes late. It wasn’t a problem and they took our order. The way it works is you order at the greeter podium, they give you a number and you go inside the seating area and sit down and place the number on the table. A server comes around and brings your drinks, and then when the food is ready, they’ll bring it to your table. The food is served in covered, disposable plastic trays so you technically can take it on the go. But it seemed like everybody was just staying there and eating since you had a table and a place to sit and comfortably eat it before it got cold.

Now I mentioned that it isn’t exactly a quick service option, because it frankly is relatively slow. We waited around 15 minutes for our food. Part of that might be due to the fact that they ran out of the dish that I’d ordered. They only had 3 options to choose from. Roasted chicken, lasagna or vegetarian lasagna. DW ordered the chicken and thought it was very good. I ordered the lasagna. They came out a few minutes after we got our drinks to inform me that they were out of the lasagna with meat, but I could pick either of the other 2 dishes. I love Italian food and I was kind of dead set on eating some lasagna by that point, so in a moment of stupidity, I told them to bring me the vegetarian lasagna.

Ok, it wasn’t that bad. But it wasn’t great either. They did bring me an Olaf cupcake as a peace offering for not having what I wanted, so that was at least nice. DS ordered the kids macaroni and cheese and seemed to have his appetite back. My lasagna came with salad, so I scooped it into the lid of my plate and gave it to DD to eat along with a little bit of DS’s mac & cheese..

I can’t really complain too much. I wasn’t crazy about my lasagna, but I’m not used to eating lasagna without meat in it. All the other food seemed to be very good though, and the price was really very reasonable for the meal we got and walking away with FP for Fantasmic!
We had asked our server about the package and where we needed to go. The show was scheduled to start at 7:30 and they gave us FP for the Blue reserved area and it said to arrive after 6:30. She told us that the first areas filled are those near the front. She told us if we arrived at 6:30 we should be able to get in and get a spot near the front where we can sit. Great!!

We finished eating and stopped by the restroom between Adventureland and Frontierland. We had plenty of time to make our way over by 6:30. We rounded the corner and saw the line… So much for “arriving after 6:30.” Not only was there a line, they had already been letting people in. We were led all the way from the BTMRR side of the Rivers of America and behind all these people comfortably sitting in the first few rows, clear over to a newly opened section. Yes! We were going to be front row!

Right behind the Tom Sawyer Island dock.

It could have been worse. But there was no way we’d be able to sit and watch the show. There were props on the dock and too many obstructions to see around.

And on top of that… we were there and it wasn’t even 6:30 yet. We were going to be waiting for over an hour, with a less than ideal viewing location after paying for a Fantasmic! package.

This is where I appreciate the DHS amphitheater. At least you’re seated, can go to the restroom, grab a snack. Here, you’re stuck in a pen. There really wasn’t enough room to even sit down while we waited for the show either. I was glad that we were in the front so that I could kind of lean/sit on the fence. The kids sat on the bottom rail of the fence and we put my phone in the stroller where they could see it and turned on Frozen.

That was literally the longest hour of our time in Disneyland.

They may have some really incredible night time shows, but their crowd control methods certainly leave something to be desired. I think Disney World handles these things much, much better.

Once the show fiiiiiinally started though, all else was forgotten.

I’ve always enjoyed Fantasmic! but questioned whether it was worth fighting the crowds and the wait to watch it in DHS. Now I seem to think they do a phenomenal job of handling the crowd and the wait there. But compared to the DL version, the show isn’t even in the same league.

We loved the DL version of Fantasmic! My favorite part was definitely the use of the Columbia serving as the stage of a fight between Captain Hook and Peter Pan. They were swinging on ropes and just all over the ship. It was incredible!

Here are a few pictures we got. We didn’t take many during the show, but I just had to get the Columbia scene! You can see the tops of the obstructions we were behind. Definitely not bad for an adult standing, but enough that it would obstruct children.

We enjoyed the show, and thankfully we had come prepared. We brought jackets and blankets for the kids and DW and stuffed them under the stroller. It did start to get cool by the end of the show, so they were comfortably bundled by the time we were ready to head out.

So what did we think of it? Well, as I said, I loved the show. Fantasmic! is not to be missed at DL. Especially if you’ve enjoyed it at WDW, I think that is all the more reason to see the DL version. As for the on-the-go package? I don’t know… The price was reasonable for the food we got, and it really was a pretty good meal aside from not having what I wanted. I definitely don’t feel like it is a waste of money to have done this package. But I’m also not sure that I feel like we really got any benefit out of it on the Fantasmic! side of things. I’d have preferred to have showed up later and been farther back had I known we’d be off to the side and standing to see the show. If I were to go back, I’d take a good hard look at all the other dining package/FP options to see if we could get something better.

The park closed at 8, so DW pushed the stroller and I carried DD as we joined the masses making their way towards the exit. Both kids fell asleep by the time we made it to Main Street so we headed through the shops looking for a few things. We ended up finding a few T-shirts and some magnets that we liked.

You’ll see my new shirt later. And I was pretty proud of it until I saw one I liked even better on our last day.

We exited the park and made a quick stop at La Brea Bakery to get some cinnamon rolls for DW and I to eat for breakfast in the morning. We headed back to the room and put the kids to bed and then sat and ate the last couple of cold pieces of Naples pizza that were in our refrigerator before settling into bed ourselves.

And yes, after 24 hours, still awesome.

We’d been on property for over 24 hours and had yet to step foot inside Walt’s original park. I don’t know how we managed to hold out for that long, but it was time to correct that situation!

Seriously ... how do you go that long on your first trip west without heading to the original park??

For those of you who haven’t been to Disneyland and aren’t familiar with the layout, this is one of my favorite things about the parks there. You are literally only steps away from the other park once you walk out the front gates. We exited DCA through the main entrance and walked a few hundred feet to Disneyland.

This.
We don't even bother with park hopping at WDW, but I couldn't imagine doing DL without park hoppers. We've almost always done both parks in one day.
One day we had been in both parks by 20 mins after opening. Try doing that at WDW (although really, all we did at DCA was grab World of Color FP, and then we headed over to DL for the morning).

They look very excited about the parade!

I’d how small the castle is there. But I’m telling you, pictures and stories don’t quite tell the tale until you see it yourself. I don’t want to knock it, because it is certainly a beautiful structure and a wonderful gateway to Fantasyland, but it just doesn’t command your attention as you walk down Main Street the way Cinderella Castle does.

I may be crazy, but ... I kinda like that it's not as big as Cinderella Castle. It seems more in scale with the rest of the park, as opposed to Cinderella Castle, which kind of takes over the park.

This is where I appreciate the DHS amphitheater. At least you’re seated, can go to the restroom, grab a snack. Here, you’re stuck in a pen. There really wasn’t enough room to even sit down while we waited for the show either. I was glad that we were in the front so that I could kind of lean/sit on the fence. The kids sat on the bottom rail of the fence and we put my phone in the stroller where they could see it and turned on Frozen.

When I did Fantasmic it was pre-FP/Dining Package (and I don't even really remember it much), but I had a similar thought from my World of Color experience. At Fantasmic at DHS you have to get there an hour before the show (less with FP+/Dining Package), but as long as someone is there to save your seat, you can go get food, go to the bathroom, etc. At WoC (and I guess also F! in DL) you're there for over an hour twiddling your thumbs and you can't really go anywhere. It gets a little boring.

I love your Fantasmic pictures!

OK, so you had me in tears about the Disneyland Fire Station and standing near the trolley tracks. That solidifies it for me. I have to go to Disneyland. Not maybe, just have to! :smickey:

I have heard the Disneyland's Fantasmic is AMAZING compared to the WDW version. I am not a HUGE fan of Fantasmic--every few trips we see it but I absolutely loathe waiting in line and being herded into the amphitheater. The ship battle alone makes it seem worth being herded!

Rope Drop isn’t the only thing that happens late at Disneyland. Even the 3 o’clock parade is late there. It doesn’t start until 4.
:rotfl: Now now, don't start fights with the nice DL folks. :rotfl2:

That to me, was the big difference between WDW and DL. This was Walt’s park. You really could feel his presence.
THis is why its on my bucket list to get over there eventually.

so I hadn’t really looked ahead to take in the castle yet. But once we got to the hub and looked up on the beauty and grandeur of… well a castle that might just be smaller than some of the toy castles at your local Toys R Us.
We do have the better castle over hear on the East coast don't we? ::yes:: I guess what they lack in castle grandeur they gain in that special walt stood here magic. At least from what I keep hearing.

we always enjoyed Fantasmic! but questioned whether it was worth fighting the crowds and the wait to watch it in DHS.
This is something I still have yet to ever do. We'll see if I pull off seeing it this upcoming trip.

We’d been on property for over 24 hours and had yet to step foot inside Walt’s original park.

If someone came along and read only this chapter, they would've thought you were nuts!

You can’t park hop like that at WDW.

Well.... You can.
You just need a portal gun.
Or a portable worm-hole.

We entered the park right at 4 pm. And how do I know that?

Watch? Clock? Phone?

Even the 3 o’clock parade is late there. It doesn’t start until 4.

Or that.
Maybe they just got their time zone mixed up.
Or daylight savings.

DD looks like she's having a completely chillaxing moment.

That's cool.
I've been to (other) places where I've had similar experiences.
"This is where ____ stood or where _____ happened."
It's always a humbling yet gratifying experience.

It sounds corny, but I saw a picture in DLH that showed him standing on Main Street, right next to the trolley tracks. And I just had to go stand in that very spot the next day.

Awesome.

But enough of that, you want parade pictures? We’ve got ‘em… although they’re crappy cell phone pictures so the focus and quality leaves something to be desired.

I dunno, I thought the pictures were pretty good!

Man, those DL sidewalks are tight.

I would think that they were never designed for the amount of people that visit now.

well a castle that might just be smaller than some of the toy castles at your local Toys R Us.

I can picture the scene.
"Oh, Phillip! I'm so happy! Where is our new home?"
"It's right there, Aurora. I hope you'll be happy there."
"Umm... Where, Phillip?"
"Right there, my darling.... look down... lower.... lower... there!"
"Is it behind that cottage?"
"It is the cottage!!"
"Oh... Phillip... it's.... umm..... wonderful?"

I just had to grab this picture on the way in to give you an idea of how small it actually looks once you’re in the park with the Matterhorn towering above it.

That really puts it into perspective.

We enjoyed the DL version of the Jungle Cruise. It is essentially the same schtick that you get at the WDW version, but there are some different scenes and animals in this cruise. It isn’t hugely different from the WDW version, but there are some subtle differences that make it worth checking out if you’re ever in DL and have time.

Interesting.
But of course there'd be different scenes.
Animals are unpredictable ya know.

A few minutes before the FP was good, we found a spot for DW and the kids to wait and I headed off to ride.

Yeah, selfish move on my part.

Nope.

We do so much for our kids.
Sometimes you just have to take care of yourselves for a second.

it is very similar to the Dinosaur ride at AK.

Only way better.

Way better!

I've heard nothing but great things about this ride.

We arrived at Aladdin’s Oasis and they were turning people away who didn’t have an ADR.

They say that the vast majority of Disney guests don't preplan like we do.

I can't even imagine what that must be like.
"We're going to Disneyland kids!"
"Yay!"
followed by...
"We're going to eat down the street at McDonalds kids!"
"Yay?"

We explained that we had one, but were 10 minutes late. It wasn’t a problem and they took our order.

Bet you were a little worried, though.

They only had 3 options to choose from. Roasted chicken, lasagna or vegetarian lasagna.

That's it? Just three options?
Seems odd.

I love Italian food and I was kind of dead set on eating some lasagna by that point, so in a moment of stupidity, I told them to bring me the vegetarian lasagna.

You WHAT????
And you want me to join the DISDads thread?

To paraphrase Groucho: I don't want to belong to any club that will accept people like you as a member!

:rolleyes1

They did bring me an Olaf cupcake as a peace offering for not having what I wanted, so that was at least nice.

Real men get something else.

Probably a cigar.

DS ordered the kids macaroni and cheese and seemed to have his appetite back.

That's good.
And Momma Bear and Poppa Bear looked at each other and breathed a sigh of relief.

She told us if we arrived at 6:30 we should be able to get in and get a spot near the front where we can sit.

And you believed her.

:sad2:

Yes! We were going to be front row!

Yes! Uh... oh... shoot.

We were going to be waiting for over an hour, with a less than ideal viewing location after paying for a Fantasmic! package.

Money maybe not so well spent.
That really sucks.

That was literally the longest hour of our time in Disneyland.

Wasn't it literally exactly as long as any other hour... ever?

But compared to the DL version, the show isn’t even in the same league.

I'd heard that too.
I don't anticipate ever going there, but Indy and Fantasmic would be reasons to.

My favorite part was definitely the use of the Columbia serving as the stage of a fight between Captain Hook and Peter Pan. They were swinging on ropes and just all over the ship. It was incredible!

Thanks for taking the pics, too!

We brought jackets and blankets for the kids and DW and stuffed them under the stroller.

You stuffed them all under the stroller?
Weren't they uncomfortable squeezed in like that?

It did start to get cool by the end of the show, so they were comfortably bundled by the time we were ready to head out.

Well, okay. So they were comfortable under there.

If I were to go back, I’d take a good hard look at all the other dining package/FP options to see if we could get something better.

What kind of options are there?

DW pushed the stroller and I carried DD

Got her out from underneath, huh?

You’ll see my new shirt later. And I was pretty proud of it until I saw one I liked even better on our last day.

The shirt is always keener on the other side.

and then sat and ate the last couple of cold pieces of Naples pizza that were in our refrigerator before settling into bed ourselves.

And yes, after 24 hours, still awesome.

I don't care for cold pizza, but it does speak well for it if you still enjoyed it 24 hours later.

Thanks for the update! :goodvibes

I made a point of looking up there and acknowledging it every time I entered or exited the park through Town Square.

It sounds corny, but I saw a picture in DLH that showed him standing on Main Street, right next to the trolley tracks. And I just had to go stand in that very spot the next day. He’d walked those streets. It was his park. And I was finally there. The feeling just can’t be described.

Completely agree with you! The park has a different feel than any other park. Knowing that Walt literally walked around the park and hung out there is just too amazing.

well a castle that might just be smaller than some of the toy castles at your local Toys R Us.

:rotfl::rotfl2:

I would be disappointed at the size of the castle if I was a WDW vet coming to DLR for the first time. Luckily for me, it was opposite! Cinderella's castle is just massive! Sleeping Beauty's is small but has tons of character.

The queue winds deep into this subterranean temple. It is one of the few well themed queues you’ll find in Disneyland. You walk past all sorts of booby traps that will be familiar from the cinematic exploits of Dr. Jones.

It's also one of the longest queues in Disney history! :rotfl2: It takes forever to get to the loading area! Did you ever get to ride Roger Rabbit? That queue feels just about as long as Indy.

Only way better.

Way better!

It’s just a really cool ride. If you’re an Indiana Jones fan it is certainly not one to be missed.

:worship: The best ride! The boulder at the end still gives me chills, they did a fabulous job.

We arrived at Aladdin’s Oasis and they were turning people away who didn’t have an ADR. We explained that we had one, but were 10 minutes late. It wasn’t a problem and they took our order. The way it works is you order at the greeter podium, they give you a number and you go inside the seating area and sit down and place the number on the table. A server comes around and brings your drinks, and then when the food is ready, they’ll bring it to your table. The food is served in covered, disposable plastic trays so you technically can take it on the go. But it seemed like everybody was just staying there and eating since you had a table and a place to sit and comfortably eat it before it got cold.

Good info to know thanks :thumbsup2

Yes! We were going to be front row!

:headache: Oh my gosh. :mad:

This is where I appreciate the DHS amphitheater.

Yes! A thousand times yes. I'm always the odd man out whenever discussing DHS's F! and DLR's. I'm just not a fan of DLR's, because of the viewing area. That alone ruins it for me. It's so unorganized and tight in that area. It's been at least 6 years since i've seen it though. Now with the FP dining implementation, I may just give it a chance and try it out.

Here are a few pictures we got. We didn’t take many during the show, but I just had to get the Columbia scene! You can see the tops of the obstructions we were behind. Definitely not bad for an adult standing, but enough that it would obstruct children.

This is definitely the best part of F!

Looking at your view, I'd be so irritated. So this is the first row of that section right? How many seated rows are behind you?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter