Somebody's Gonna Pee in a Cup, West Coast - Link to new TR 1/21

You can’t park hop like that at WDW.

Heck no you can't! That's so cool!!

It sounds corny, but I saw a picture in DLH that showed him standing on Main Street, right next to the trolley tracks. And I just had to go stand in that very spot the next day. He’d walked those streets. It was his park. And I was finally there. The feeling just can’t be described.

I don't think that sounds corny at all! And I think many folks on here feel the same as you do; there is a special magic in DL because the man himself built it, well, himself. I will be in total awe of everything that is DL whenever I finally make it to the west coast.

I just had to grab this picture on the way in to give you an idea of how small it actually looks once you’re in the park with the Matterhorn towering above it.

Wow, that is pretty small. I mean, from what I've seen the Beast's castle is bigger than that! Poor Aurora. Although she does have the real gold trim!

Btw, that photo of the kids waiting for the parade is adorable, I just wasn't sure how the quote it.

It’s just a really cool ride. If you’re an Indiana Jones fan it is certainly not one to be missed.

I've heard such cool things about that ride! Why don't we have an Indiana Jones ride on the east coast, super not fair.

I love Italian food and I was kind of dead set on eating some lasagna by that point, so in a moment of stupidity, I told them to bring me the vegetarian lasa

I like vegetarian food as much as the next herbivore but lasagna should have meat. End. Of. Story.

We loved the DL version of Fantasmic! My favorite part was definitely the use of the Columbia serving as the stage of a fight between Captain Hook and Peter Pan. They were swinging on ropes and just all over the ship. It was incredible!

Cool!! I've never heard that before. I know basically nothing about DL and what goes on there. I'd pay to see Hook and. Pan battle it out on a real ship!!

And yes, after 24 hours, still awesome.

I'm so glad DL is such fun! I always worried that after being in WDW so many times DL would seem small and maybe even a bit, boring? Glad it's awesome!

I think the problem, in this case, might have been magnified by the late RD. They held us basically by the entrance to Little Mermaid for a while and by the time they took us on towards Radiator Springs, that whole walkway was packed and the crowd was around the bend coming around Grizzly River Run. I don't know how far back it was lined up like that past the point where I could no longer see.

But as we started walking, those in the back were running up as any gaps would form or the walkway would widen. They weren't getting past the CM's but they were running to get to them.
Must have something to do with starting at the GCH entrance - I know that the RSR Technique Experts always used to advise never to try to get there from GCH at RD, but I don't know whether that has changed. As for the late RD, that is standard that time of year. The hours are VERY different during the "less crowded" times at DLR.

I didn't even mention that the redneck farmboy nerd in me thought it was awesome that the tractors were Holstein Heifer Chewalls, playing off the McCormick-Deering Farmall brand that International Harvester tractors used to be produced as.
This is FANTASTIC!!!!!! :rotfl2:

::yes:: I think we've created a monster. We'll probably be hauling around bags full of glitter and princess dresses for a while now like you and @shan23877 .
Oh, dear, dear, Andy - you won't need to buy any glitter at all. GREAT NEWS!!! Those dresses you'll be buying and your child will be wearing all over your house, to the grocery store, and then changing in and out of at WDW over and over????? They shed glitter EVERYWHERE. And they have an endless supply!!! My living room sofa and DOG glittered for YEARS!

20150114_160347.jpg
This sight brings me so much joy. :goodvibes

DD knows how to do parades right!!!!! :thumbsup2

As the last float passed by, we turned and made our way down the half of the sidewalk behind the ropes. Man, those DL sidewalks are tight. They rope off the first couple of feet of sidewalk for people to stand and watch the parade. Behind the rope there is room for 2 way, single file traffic. But just barely!
A throw-back to smaller Americans and less-crazed times? :confused3 :laughing:

Once you arrive and board your ride vehicle, as many of you know, it is very similar to the Dinosaur ride at AK.

Only way better.

Way better!
Could not agree more.

Our ADR was for Aladdin’s Oasis. We had gotten a Fantasmic! On-the-go dinner package. While they call it an on-the-go package, it really isn’t exactly quick servic
It's interesting to read about one of these new options. January 2015 was our first trip with the VERY BIG changes to Fantasmic! at DLR and we had no intention of seeing it on that trip, so I didn't research the different new options at all.

They may have some really incredible night time shows, but their crowd control methods certainly leave something to be desired. I think Disney World handles these things much, much better.
And, amazingly, what you describe for your experience is SO MUCH better than what people used to do to see Fantasmic! There is a reason that we never saw it until last summer (when I paid a million dollars for the premium dessert seating for which we still had to show up hours early) - and that's because the only way to see it at all was to camp out on the cement for hours before the show. There just isn't room in the park for any other viewing environment. I think it's good that they are trying to find a way to make it more doable. I hope that the new system is better - of course, it costs money, which seems to be the Disney parks trend for everything, mostly at WDW at this point, but clearly bleeding into DLR too.

Once the show fiiiiiinally started though, all else was forgotten.
It's good, huh?

We loved the DL version of Fantasmic! My favorite part was definitely the use of the Columbia serving as the stage of a fight between Captain Hook and Peter Pan. They were swinging on ropes and just all over the ship. It was incredible!
I loved that too. I'm going out on a limb and guessing that I'm going to be a little disappointed with that scene when I actually see the DHS version in a few months. ;)

No one warned me it would be so... so.... Well, you know.
"Come on over to the DDC! It'll be fun!"

:sad2:

So I take it that we just don't measure up, then. :guilty:
Not a problem, I've been banished from the cool kids table many times before...
So it's all good.:thumbsup2

Yes, I know. (Read the first few pages.)
For the love of God, why????????? :eek: :faint:

Ha! That'll learn ya'.
There's several minutes of life you won't be getting back.
I know, right? Maybe skim the first page, but who reads all that stuff?

No one warned me it would be so... so.... Well, you know.
"Come on over to the DDC! It'll be fun!"

:sad2:
We didn't tell you to read it!!! I said just jump in and say hi. Nobody reads all the crap in any of those threads. :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

More bacon and beer for the rest of us, I guess. :rolleyes1

I do this every time I leave the park! Especially late at night when it's empty and almost everything is closed up. Love that!
Oh yeah, it was even a little more special late at night when it was dark and the light just shined a little brighter. Love it.

I've always thought that DL's version was much much better! I just hate it that there is no where to sit and you usually have to get there really early. If they have two shows (usually in summer), it's best to see the second show.
Yeah, I'm sure the second show is easier to see. It just kind of stinks to have to be there so early even after getting a dining package for it. It is a great show, but the whole area just doesn't really provide for a very good viewing/crowd control experience.

I had no idea that they did this!
It was still fairly new when we were there. They'd been doing it for maybe a few weeks.

I think it's one of the best rides in DL park, right up there with Space Mountain, Star Tours and BTMRR and HM and Pirates.....
::yes::

My sister and her family are coming down for three days prior to my birthday weekend (which they can't afford). And I told her that I would help her out with any information she needed or planning, and I haven't heard a peep out of them. I wonder how productive their days will be. I'm not even sure they know the concept of "rope drop" and how important it is. :rolleyes1
Oh wow... :sad2: I just hope you don't get hammered with a barrage of complaints about it at your birthday party.

Yeah, but we'll line up for hours beforehand and wait forever for something if we need to! :thumbsup2
Well, yeah, there's that. :rotfl:

No F! has been chaotic like that ever since it opened. In spring and summer families will come out specifically to catch F! for the night bring a blanket and picnic and just wait all afternoon, and then pack it up, and stand up about an hour before the show starts. During really busy times, the crowd flow and control procedures are crazy and they route you all the way over to the HM even if your destination is the Gumbo shop or the NBC shop.
Doesn't surprise me to learn this. It seemed like it would be the case. The area just isn't set up well for crowd control. They do a good job of trying to keep traffic flowing by setting up one way traffic areas and diverting crowds over to less crowded areas, but there's just no good way to handle everything there.

Last time I saw F! at DHS I was like :confused3 when the whole Pocohontas scene came up. It made zero sense to me, but then I have seen DL's F! so many times that I almost know it from top to bottom. It flows and makes total sense and don't even get me started about the Mark Twain vs the bare bones Steamboat Willie boat! :rolleyes1
I couldn't agree more...

Most of the time when they make a "vegetarian" lasagna, they fill it with all sorts of extra nonsense. I don't mind some onions, mushrooms, peppers even a little spinach in my meat lasagna, but they start putting crud like carrots, squash, sprouts and all kinds of weird stuff in food out here. I tell ya, the health nuts out here are going crazy, they put kale in everything these days, I mean what happened to good old food fried in lard?

OK sorry. Rant over. Carry on.
Preach on! No, I agree. It looked like lasagna, smelled like lasagna, but when I took a bite, it was like, WTH was that???? It wasn't horrible. The sauce tasted fine and everything, but I think it was more a texture issue. I was getting textures in there that I'm not used to eating in lasagna. :rotfl:

My dad didn't go to California until he was 60, and he did Disneyland first. So I don't buy it.
Want to try another excuse?
I stick by my decision! We did what worked for us. And we were in the park on our first park day. It actually probably worked better this way. If we were there for RD, we'd have been in a hurry to get to a ride. Doing it this way, our only concrete plans entering the park were dinner and Fantasmic! so we kind of had an opportunity to take our time, see the parade and take things in. :thumbsup2

Heck no you can't! That's so cool!!
It is incredible being able to move between the parks like that!

I don't think that sounds corny at all! And I think many folks on here feel the same as you do; there is a special magic in DL because the man himself built it, well, himself. I will be in total awe of everything that is DL whenever I finally make it to the west coast.
Yeah, the DIS crowd likely gets it more than most. It's great to finally be there and walk in his footsteps.

Wow, that is pretty small. I mean, from what I've seen the Beast's castle is bigger than that! Poor Aurora. Although she does have the real gold trim!

Btw, that photo of the kids waiting for the parade is adorable, I just wasn't sure how the quote it.
Well, I guess if you think about it, the interior of Beast's castle is certainly bigger! :rotfl2:

I've heard such cool things about that ride! Why don't we have an Indiana Jones ride on the east coast, super not fair.
We do. It is called Dinosaur. :rolleyes1

I get why we don't have it at WDW though. It doesn't make sense to put another ride, identical to Dinosaur, but themed differently there. Maybe we can get something else eventually depending what all happens with this rumored Lucas/Star Wars expansion at DHS. :confused3

I like vegetarian food as much as the next herbivore but lasagna should have meat. End. Of. Story.
Thank you.

Cool!! I've never heard that before. I know basically nothing about DL and what goes on there. I'd pay to see Hook and. Pan battle it out on a real ship!!
Yeah. Seeing that alone made it all worthwhile. It was really cool to see the battle going on around the pirate ship!

I'm so glad DL is such fun! I always worried that after being in WDW so many times DL would seem small and maybe even a bit, boring? Glad it's awesome!
It definitely is smaller. But far from boring. We went in there basically knowing we wouldn't do everything, but we wanted to do everything. We accomplished most of the attractions over the 3 days and had time to re-visit some favorites. But if we took the time to do some more table service meals and enjoy the parks at a more leisurely pace, we could have easily spent 4 or 5 days there without being bored at all. Especially for someone who has never been there, there's just a lot of detail that you want to be able to take in and enjoy in addition to all the rides, shows and characters.

I stick by my decision! We did what worked for us. And we were in the park on our first park day. It actually probably worked better this way. If we were there for RD, we'd have been in a hurry to get to a ride. Doing it this way, our only concrete plans entering the park were dinner and Fantasmic! so we kind of had an opportunity to take our time, see the parade and take things in. :thumbsup2

So, what you're saying is no matter how much I tease you, you won't regret your decision?
Okay, I guess if it's what worked for you, I can just pull an Elsa and Let It Go ...

Must have something to do with starting at the GCH entrance - I know that the RSR Technique Experts always used to advise never to try to get there from GCH at RD, but I don't know whether that has changed. As for the late RD, that is standard that time of year. The hours are VERY different during the "less crowded" times at DLR.
We did RD twice at DCA. Once from the GCH entrance and once from the main entrance. In both cases, it seemed like the CM's led everyone there so that both crowds arrived at the entrance to Radiator Springs at the same time.

I felt like GCH actually gave you the edge, because you need to be on the right hand side for RSR and you're already there holding that inside position. :rolleyes1
This is FANTASTIC!!!!!! :rotfl2:
::yes:: I was amused by it.

Oh, dear, dear, Andy - you won't need to buy any glitter at all. GREAT NEWS!!! Those dresses you'll be buying and your child will be wearing all over your house, to the grocery store, and then changing in and out of at WDW over and over????? They shed glitter EVERYWHERE. And they have an endless supply!!! My living room sofa and DOG glittered for YEARS!
Believe me, I know this!!! I find glitter EVERYWHERE!!!!! :faint:

This sight brings me so much joy. :goodvibes
::yes::

DD knows how to do parades right!!!!! :thumbsup2
She definitely does. Kicked back with some popcorn and chillin.

A throw-back to smaller Americans and less-crazed times? :confused3 :laughing:
Well, there you go. :thumbsup2

Could not agree more.
It is incredible!

It's interesting to read about one of these new options. January 2015 was our first trip with the VERY BIG changes to Fantasmic! at DLR and we had no intention of seeing it on that trip, so I didn't research the different new options at all.
I clearly didn't research them enough. Or maybe there just wasn't much news about it out yet at that point. But I booked that package thinking it seemed like a good deal, yet not knowing anything about the actual execution of the meal or the viewing.

And, amazingly, what you describe for your experience is SO MUCH better than what people used to do to see Fantasmic! There is a reason that we never saw it until last summer (when I paid a million dollars for the premium dessert seating for which we still had to show up hours early) - and that's because the only way to see it at all was to camp out on the cement for hours before the show. There just isn't room in the park for any other viewing environment. I think it's good that they are trying to find a way to make it more doable. I hope that the new system is better - of course, it costs money, which seems to be the Disney parks trend for everything, mostly at WDW at this point, but clearly bleeding into DLR too.
I assumed that was the case. I don't mind paying for a dinner package for some or these things, within reason. I mean, we have to eat anyway, and if we can get a good meal and have a reserved spot for a show, why not? I just wish the reserved spot would be reserved for my arrival a little bit closer to show time! :rotfl:

It's good, huh?
Absolutely!

I loved that too. I'm going out on a limb and guessing that I'm going to be a little disappointed with that scene when I actually see the DHS version in a few months. ;)
I don't know. Are you a big fan of Pocahontas? :rolleyes1

So, what you're saying is no matter how much I tease you, you won't regret your decision?
Okay, I guess if it's what worked for you, I can just pull an Elsa and Let It Go ...
Regret my decision?

NO-RAGRETS-15-Photos.jpg

Hey, we can't change the past anyway! I'd do it the same way again. Although, it is ironic that I always like to start with MK at WDW.

Feel free to let it go, but just don't freeze us. I'm ready for spring.

Hey, we can't change the past anyway! I'd do it the same way again. Although, it is ironic that I always like to start with MK at WDW.

I think that even though they have a lot of the same/similar rides, and they're both the castle parks and the original park, Magic Kingdom and Disneyland are definitely different parks. And the two resorts (WDW & DLR) are so different that you can't use the same touring strategy with both.
So I don't think that starting with MK in Florida and starting at DL in California are the same thing.

To me, that's probably the one thing that WDW vets going to DLR don't necessarily understand - it's a very different experience. Yes, there are some similarities, but there are a lot of differences, which is why I hate when people compare the two. Much as I love Disneyland Park, I'm willing to do DCA first (no matter how much I make fun of others for doing it) because even if I'm in a park that's less than 15 years old, it's still "Walt's House" to some degree because everything is so close together that (to me at least) it feels magical as soon as you step on to Disney property. At WDW, everything is so spread out that I need to actually be in a park (or at a well-themed hotel) to feel immersed in the magic.

But that's just my opinion, and I'm fairly strange, so ... feel free to ignore it or disagree.

I got interrupted while reading your last chapter and ended up having to do it over two days...so, not the most conducive environment for quoting and commenting.

Anyway, please tell me that someone pointed out that the clock outside of Disneyland indicated that it was 4:05 when you arrived!?

Sorry about your slightly-obstructed view of Fantastmic, I would not be happy if I paid for a package. But very cool that the show at DL includes Pan and Hook fighting on ship. I'd like to see that.

But that's just my opinion, and I'm fairly strange, so ... feel free to ignore it or disagree.
Well, I think I agree with you. Basically because of this:
Much as I love Disneyland Park, I'm willing to do DCA first (no matter how much I make fun of others for doing it) because even if I'm in a park that's less than 15 years old, it's still "Walt's House" to some degree because everything is so close together that (to me at least) it feels magical as soon as you step on to Disney property. At WDW, everything is so spread out that I need to actually be in a park (or at a well-themed hotel) to feel immersed in the magic.
You nailed it right there. :thumbsup2

I will say that I feel like I'm there at WDW once we cross under that sign, but it definitely doesn't feel real until I step foot in MK, no matter how many times I go.

I do feel the need to compare and contrast, and I will as I go through the TR. I think everybody has certain expectations and preferences. I went in knowing that what works at WDW might not work there, and we didn't do things the way we normally would at WDW. They are similar, yet very different. But they're both very much Disney.

I got interrupted while reading your last chapter and ended up having to do it over two days...so, not the most conducive environment for quoting and commenting.
Been there, done that. That's the beauty of posting at work. I'm lucky sometimes if I can remember that I got interrupted and come back.

Anyway, please tell me that someone pointed out that the clock outside of Disneyland indicated that it was 4:05 when you arrived!?
Actually, no. :eek: I guess the 3 o'clock parade that was supposed to start at 4 o'clock didn't even start on time. I'm telling you, everything happens late there. :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Sorry about your slightly-obstructed view of Fantastmic, I would not be happy if I paid for a package. But very cool that the show at DL includes Pan and Hook fighting on ship. I'd like to see that.
It definitely was a great show. I think I'd me more upset about the package if it was a table service meal or I felt like they were really upcharging for the pass. But frankly, the meal was only $20 per adult including salad, entrée, side, drink and dessert. Not the cheapest meal on property, but not really unreasonable for Disney. :confused3 Would I have liked to have had a better view? Absolutely, but I don't feel like it was a complete rip off. I just wish I had known more about what to expect going in.

On my iPod and multi quoting ain't the easiest... But...

Nah. I'll show up pretty soon. Just busy right now.

For the love of God, why????????? :eek: :faint:

We didn't tell you to read it!!! I said just jump in and say hi. Nobody reads all the crap in any of those threads. :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

More bacon and beer for the rest of us, I guess. :rolleyes1

I doubt I'll read it all! Just wanted to get a feel for the place.

Soon. Soon.

Reading your description of being on Main St in DLR and seeing Walt's apartment and the light on, etc. definitely got me a bit emotional thinking about our upcoming trip and being able to see it for myself and having similar thoughts. And if it's corny - at least we get to all be corny together here :thumbsup2

Glad you enjoyed Indiana Jones - that is definitely once I am most looking forward to checking out!

Sorry about all the issues with the Fantasmic! seating. The shows may be amazing (that and WOC) but the whole seating/viewing areas/etc. seems not the best compared to WDW for shows. The Peter Pan/Hook part does look amazing!

I love the picture of your kiddos watching the parade. :goodvibes

I'm glad you had time to ride a few rides at Disneyland, especially Indiana Jones!

That's a bummer about the wait and seating at Fantasmic, but I'm glad you loved the show! Your photos of the Peter Pan/Captain Hook fight are awesome! :thumbsup2

A late night pizza snack? Sounds like a good plan to me! ::yes::

Just got all caught up on your trip and am enjoying it! Fantasmic! at DL sounds awesome! And congrats on a great first 24 hours!! Can't wait to read more.

It sounds corny, but I saw a picture in DLH that showed him standing on Main Street, right next to the trolley tracks. And I just had to go stand in that very spot the next day. He’d walked those streets. It was his park. And I was finally there. The feeling just can’t be described.

Nope. And NO, it's not corny at all. DLR has that "feel" to it that just can't be described. Palpable, yet hard to put words to.

Only way better.

Way better!

Like PoTC.... Some things DLR just trumps over WDW.

Once the show fiiiiiinally started though, all else was forgotten.

Glad it was worth it in the end! Mostly. I agree, maybe another seating option would have made it GREAT.

We headed back to the room and put the kids to bed and then sat and ate the last couple of cold pieces of Naples pizza that were in our refrigerator before settling into bed ourselves.

That's what vacations are made of!

Even the 3 o’clock parade is late there. It doesn’t start until 4.
:lmao: I think I actually like that better, though. Less likely for kids to still be napping. ::yes::

Man, those DL sidewalks are tight. They rope off the first couple of feet of sidewalk for people to stand and watch the parade. Behind the rope there is room for 2 way, single file traffic. But just barely!
Don't mind me, just wanted to use this: :crowded:

well a castle that might just be smaller than some of the toy castles at your local Toys R Us.
:rotfl2: I wonder how it stacks up to a McMansion? :confused3

Our ADR was for Aladdin’s Oasis. We had gotten a Fantasmic! On-the-go dinner package.
Clearly I have not been doing my Disneyland homework - I had no idea any of that even existed. :eek:

Sounds like Fantasmic was an incredible show, despite the less than stellar viewing area/experience.

It kind of baffles me that the restaurant only served 3 dishes, and they ran out of one of them. Like, if you're going to have a small selection, make sure you have enough of each item...And yeah, lasagna needs meat. Otherwise, it's just...wrong.

Yikes, this trip sounds like it was a lot different than you imagined it to be. Everything seemed to come with a catch. You got into the park early for magic hour. But the two popular attractions were down. You got a Fantasmic package to ensure a good seat. But you were placed in front of an obstruction.
I'm glad to hear the show was good, at least. And that you didn't pay an arm and a leg for the dinner package.

I've heard others talk about how Main St in DL just feels different than Main St in WDW. That you can look and feel and tell that DL was Walt's park.
And reading your description of the going into DL for that first time really made me wanna go there myself. You hear stories and see pictures of Walt walking down Main Street and the lamp in the firehouse window, but seeing it for yourself had to be incredibly surreal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter