Somebody's Gonna Pee in a Cup, West Coast - Link to new TR 1/21

Seriously, I love it. The ease of park hopping at DL is just amazing.

Jealous! If I ever make it out west I don't know that I'll ever spend a whole day at just one park!

So we headed through Hollywood Land and moved towards this…

20150115_163137.jpg

Um, WHAT? There's an Aladdin show?!?!?! Where has this been all my life? In DL I guess!

I think the only show I haven’t seen yet at WDW is the Finding Nemo show. But based on my experiences, Aladdin is the best theme park show I’ve ever seen. It is phenomenal!

And it's a great show?!?!? That's it, I have to go to DL now. It's decided!

Maybe not the funniest thing ever, but I distinctly remember that one and it kind of gives you an idea of the pop culture references that they use. Anyway, it is really a great show and I highly recommend it to anyone.

Heehee, I totally LOLed when i read this; my coworker thinks I'm crazy.

Great family photos! I love them all!!

Well, she actually sat with the 3-D glasses on and watched. Until, I believe, it was the bug bomb scene. She decided she’d had enough and just buried her face in my chest. She didn’t yell, whine or complain even a little bit. But she just clearly didn’t want to see. I held on to her and put my hands over her ears. She couldn’t see or hear, so we should be good, right?

What a brave little one! And your such a good daddy for protecting her.

And apparently, because it was finally a Friday Disneyland had early hours at 7AM!!!!!
NicE!! Considering you were waking up super early all week any way I bet that 7 AM EMH was totally doable, race or no!

Glad you got all your planting done in such a short amount of time. That's awesome! I, for one, enjoy your farming updates because I think its really interesting. :thumbsup2
Thanks!

More great pics of you and the family. Love them all.
Again, thanks!

Glad dinner was such a hit. You're making me hungry. ::yes::
I know. I'm hungry too. I don't get lunch until about 1:30 most days, so this 2 hour stretch I'm in middle of now is usually when I have a chance to get on the Dis... and also about the worst possible time to be on the Dis seeing all the awesome food!

And Yay for an ice cream stop on the way out of the park.
There's never a bad time for ice cream!

7am magic hours???? That is crazy! I hope they have that if I ever get a chance to visit.
I think it was due to the circumstances of the race. The 5K was that morning and it was pretty well clear of at least the DL park by then. The parks were scheduled to open at 8 with the EMH for DL at 7. It was later the following day though... I don't remember the times exactly, but I'd assume it was due to runners being in the parks longer?

I heard Aladdin was an amazing show. I hope I get a chance to see it some day. :goodvibes
It really is. Definitely my favorite and I'd love to see it again.

At least it was just sprite. ::yes::
True. It could have been worse. But it was still plenty sticky.

Not the best choice ever.

Ah what a champ! :thumbsup2:cheer2:
I have to give her credit. She knew what was coming, willingly agreed to go and took it in stride.

Jealous! If I ever make it out west I don't know that I'll ever spend a whole day at just one park!
I know. And there's no reason to! Especially when you can grab an FP in one and then go grab one in the other while you wait for your window to open.

Um, WHAT? There's an Aladdin show?!?!?! Where has this been all my life? In DL I guess!
::yes::

And it's a great show?!?!? That's it, I have to go to DL now. It's decided!
::yes:: Go! It is fantastic!

Heehee, I totally LOLed when i read this; my coworker thinks I'm crazy.
I don't know you well enough to comment about the crazy, but... :rolleyes1

I don't even know why it is that specific gag that stuck out to me. I kind of remember bits and pieces of some of the things he said, but for some reason I just remember hearing that one. I think it was one of those things where you could tell it was coming, and even so, his delivery of it was just absolutely spot on.

Great family photos! I love them all!!
Thanks!

What a brave little one! And your such a good daddy for protecting her.
Well, a good daddy probably wouldn't have taken her in there to begin with. :rolleyes1

NicE!! Considering you were waking up super early all week any way I bet that 7 AM EMH was totally doable, race or no!
Absolutely! The fact that the park had been closing at 8pm every night helps too. We were in bed by like 9 every night. It makes it easier to get up and moving.

Everybody says that Aladdin show is great, glad to hear that you agree.

Flo's sounds like a great restaurant, I'd like to see how they imagineered Doc's office.

His cup fell right at my feet, so both of us had Sprite all over our legs and feet.

Waterproof shoes and Baggies on the socks. Not my first rodeo.

Seriously, I love it. The ease of park hopping at DL is just amazing.

I get spoiled by it. Buses at WDW can be a real time sucker. But it has other advantages with so many places to visit.

We had 3 evenings to spend in the parks. World of Color was off the radar due to the fact that it was closed. Clearly we dedicated one evening to Fantasmic! Friday night was going to be the only night we could see the fireworks over Sleeping Beauty’s Castle so we thought this would be a great evening to spend in DCA.

Good plan!

It was going to work out that we’d be able to catch a show this evening, which would free up some time and flexibility for us on Friday. We’d miss the lights actually being turned on in Radiator Springs, but we’d still be able to see it in all its night time glory after the show.

I think that was a good choice.

Wow, Genie really makes the show.

it kind of gives you an idea of the pop culture references that they use.

Although that one you posted went right over my head. The last time I saw the show he was doing the wrecking ball jokes.

We’d already determined we were going to eat at Flo’s, so off we went.

I still have never been inside or eaten there! :headache:

We got some more pictures…

Nice shots!

She decided she’d had enough and just buried her face in my chest.

At least Daddy could protect her. How cute.

So Aladdin is like the FotLK for Disneyland? Or even better? I'm glad you guys all had a chance to watch it, and that it exceeded expectations.

Cars land at night sounds awesome! Your pictures in front of Flo's make it look like an awesome place to visit. I know everyone talks rides like Big Thunder and Splash being a different experience at night versus during the day, but it had to be incredibly cool to have that experience with an entire land. That's awesome.

Ice cream is always a great go-to dessert while in Disney.

Everybody says that Aladdin show is great, glad to hear that you agree.
::yes:: It really is an awesome show.

Flo's sounds like a great restaurant, I'd like to see how they imagineered Doc's office.
I liked it! The menu had some things that are a little more hearty than your typical quick service place, which is always nice. Take a parts store, Dr. office and a 50's diner and just blend them together. I know, horrible description. I should have taken pictures... but you know, no phone. :rolleyes1

Waterproof shoes and Baggies on the socks. Not my first rodeo.
:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

I get spoiled by it. Buses at WDW can be a real time sucker. But it has other advantages with so many places to visit.
Definitely true. But those 2 parks being so close just makes it super convenient!

Good plan!
Well, I'd love to take credit, but we were just kind of going by what was available to us.

I think that was a good choice.
I think so too. I hated to miss the lights coming on, but I'm glad we saw the show. And if we'd waited to go to a later show after the lights were on, I don't know that the kids would have been as interested in sitting and watching.

Although that one you posted went right over my head. The last time I saw the show he was doing the wrecking ball jokes.
You know, I think he might have done the wrecking ball joke also. It seems to stick out to me that he referred to it somehow, but I just don't remember what was said or how it was done.

This one was reference to the Rihanna song, Umbrella. I knew it was older, but I just had to go Google it. 2007. Wow, time flies.

I still have never been inside or eaten there! :headache:
Check it out sometime!

Nice shots!
Thanks!

At least Daddy could protect her. How cute.
Protect, torture, same difference. :rolleyes1

So Aladdin is like the FotLK for Disneyland? Or even better? I'm glad you guys all had a chance to watch it, and that it exceeded expectations.
Well, I wasn't quite as impressed by FotLK as most. So I'm going to say way, way better.

It's a different kind of show though. It is actual characters, with a few puppets. There are scenes acted out, there are songs from the movie and there are a few scenes that are unique to this show.

Oh yeah... and Aladdin and Jasmine actually fly over the audience on Carpet. Seriously, just an amazing, very unique show.

Cars land at night sounds awesome! Your pictures in front of Flo's make it look like an awesome place to visit. I know everyone talks rides like Big Thunder and Splash being a different experience at night versus during the day, but it had to be incredibly cool to have that experience with an entire land. That's awesome.
It definitely was awesome! The neon everywhere just makes it all come alive at night. I really wish we had been able to ride RSR after dark to experience it that way too, but it was nice just to enjoy the ambience for a while. I loved it.

Ice cream is always a great go-to dessert while in Disney.
::yes:: There's never a bad time for ice cream! :thumbsup2

Congratulations on doing so well with the corn planting! We always get a farm co-op every summer - which I think is a good way to get the kids out to a farm and see where real food comes from ... but the most we have to do there is pick some tomatoes and apples, etc. .... the idea of planting 1,000 acres just boggles my mind!

we're a crazy bunch of guys who like bacon and beer.
... I assume you mean that you are crazy and happen to like bacon and beer ... not that liking bacon and beer makes you crazy. And, on second reading, was it really necessary to say "guys who like bacon and beer"? Once you said you were "guys" I figured the enjoyment of bacon and beer was understood ;)

I'm glad you enjoyed Aladdin - we saw the show on Broadway last year and it was really great. Same thing that the Genie was phenomenal and had a ton of jokes that were current and definitely worked at a couple of levels. Specifically the scene in the cave of wonders was, well, wonder-ful!

Cars Land really does look cool at night - even Flo's really pops! Glad you enjoyed the food there too.

Congratulations on doing so well with the corn planting! We always get a farm co-op every summer - which I think is a good way to get the kids out to a farm and see where real food comes from ... but the most we have to do there is pick some tomatoes and apples, etc. .... the idea of planting 1,000 acres just boggles my mind!
Thanks. It has been good so far... but a little bit cooler and wet here the past week and a half or so. We haven't been able to do much to be productive... and this is part of the reason why planting, on a typical year, ends up being a lot more work. We just never had that interruption early on. Right now, we've got about 120 acres of soybeans left to plant when it dries up and we're ready to start applying Nitrogen.

... I assume you mean that you are crazy and happen to like bacon and beer ... not that liking bacon and beer makes you crazy. And, on second reading, was it really necessary to say "guys who like bacon and beer"? Once you said you were "guys" I figured the enjoyment of bacon and beer was understood ;)
Well, yeah, I guess when you think about it like that it really is kind of a redundant statement.

I'm glad you enjoyed Aladdin - we saw the show on Broadway last year and it was really great. Same thing that the Genie was phenomenal and had a ton of jokes that were current and definitely worked at a couple of levels. Specifically the scene in the cave of wonders was, well, wonder-ful!
::yes:: I kind of figured that it was a pared down version of the Broadway show. Not that I've ever seen it to be able to compare. But it really was fantastic. If you have time, I encourage you to see it!

Cars Land really does look cool at night - even Flo's really pops! Glad you enjoyed the food there too.
You're going to love Carsland. I don't think it is possible to not like it. It's great during the day, but it just really comes alive at night! I thought the food at Flo's was good. I liked the menu for a QS place. It definitely wasn't your standard burgers/dogs/chicken nuggets menu.

This Will Be a Day Long Remembered.

Ok… bad news. Friday, was a very full, fun day. And we have hardly any pictures. In fact, the first update has none. I apologize in advance.

I woke up earlier than normal on Friday morning. Our last park day.

I was up at about 4:30. I did set an alarm, but frankly it still wasn’t getting up much earlier than I was waking up on my own most mornings anyway. And to be honest, even waking up early every morning, I was nowhere near as tired during our DL visit as I was during our WDW trip.

But I digress.

I wanted to head over to the DLH parking lot at around 5 am. I figured we’d need to hit the road at around 5 on Saturday to get our car turned in and make our flight, so I kind of wanted to check out the traffic situation at a similar time under similar circumstances.

I hopped in for a quick shower, got dressed and I grabbed a couple more bags that we were done with. I was out the door by about 4:45 and on my way to DTD. Once I got there, I could see the place was already alive. There were crowds of people wearing all kinds of crazy Star Wars costumes, also heading towards DLH.

But I quickly saw that I wasn’t the only one who wasn’t headed to the race. I saw a group of people walking from GCH towards DLH, dressed in suits and hauling their luggage. I would assume they were staying at GCH for a conference (I’d seen some people in the conference areas during our stay) and they were headed out to catch a flight. Clearly, GCH really did just toss everyone out on their own to get to transportation and deal with moving their luggage.

I got to DLH and walked past the CM’s directing runners to where they needed to go to get to the corrals. There was a roadblock set up in front of the DLH with 2 CM’s standing next to it. I figured they’re next to a roadblock, they must know what is going on.

I told them where I was parked and asked if I could get out now if I wanted to.

They looked at me and told me they didn’t know. They said they only knew about the traffic closures at the exact spot they were placed and didn’t know about anything else.

Really?

Come on. Is this some kind of a screwed up joke???

I mean, to a point, I can understand a CM in guest services not knowing what is going on with road closures 2 days in advance. But the morning of an event, if you’re set up in a traffic control role and can’t even answer those questions, there’s something seriously wrong.

I continued on to our car and put the bags in the trunk.

As I was walking, I was looking north towards Magic Way. This was the street that I’d need to use to exit the parking lot. And the map I was given showed me that it would be closed. Thankfully, the best I could tell, it looked like they had barricades up keeping you from turning right, but it looked lIke I could exit the lot and turn left and get access to Walnut St.

I know this means nothing to most, but the DL vets might understand the area and know what I’m talking about.

Anyway, I felt good about it, finally having seen it myself. But I did want to be 100% sure. I never saw a car come or go the whole time I was there, so I approached the guard shack to ask. Unlike the day I rolled into DLH, the guard answered me in no uncertain terms that I would be able to get out that way the following morning.

Great! Thanks!
It felt good to finally know how it would work. I’d studied the maps, so I knew where the other road closures would be, and I knew it wouldn’t be a big deal to get out of there once I got on Walnut.

I kind of relaxed at this point and I could see the video boards across another parking lot, that were set up at the start of the 5K. They were playing Star Wars music, and I think I started whistling along with it as I walked back towards DTD and GCH.

I stopped at the Haagen Dazs store to grab a couple of pastries for breakfast, since DW and I didn’t have anything to eat back in the room. Again, these were much cheaper, and much better than what we got our first morning from the QS place in GCH.

When I got back to the room, it was time to get everyone up and moving. We still had plenty of time, but we wanted to make sure we were there when they dropped the rope for DL 7 am early entry.

We headed out into DTD and had to wait for an opportunity to cross the 5k course.

I have to say that given the fact that we were there just to enjoy the parks, the races really didn’t impact us that much. Yes, it caused some parking/traffic issues that we had to try to figure out, and the GCH was less than helpful with that piece of the puzzle… But as for navigating DTD and getting to and through the parks, it was a total non-issue.

We waited just a few seconds before they shifted the 5K lanes and let us cross. And we were quickly on our way through DTD and towards the parks. It was interesting watching the runners though. There were some incredible costumes. We saw all kinds of Darth Vaders and Storm Troopers. We saw a lot of people who were dressed in actual running attire, but clearly were Disneybounding with a Star Wars theme.

But the one that really made me do a double and then a triple take was a guy dressed as a Starspeeder from Star Tours.

He had what must have been a huge box, shaped and painted like a Starspeeder. There was a hole in the middle for him to basically stand in it and it hung from straps on his shoulders. It stood out to me for a few reasons. One, you just couldn’t miss it. Two, it was unique. And three, I couldn’t believe that they’d let someone run in something so… big and bulky.

We made it to the turnstiles well before 7 am. We were the second family in line at our turnstile. A little bit before it was time to let everyone in, the CM started scanning tickets for us and the first family in line. She told us we had to wait until they officially opened the turnstiles, but we were ready to go!

They did the little countdown and officially turned everyone loose.

The family in front of us made it through the turnstile. DW and DS followed.

But I was stuck.

I had the stroller.

We had to go through the gate between our turnstile and the next one over. It seemed that the family over there was having some issues getting their tickets through. And they’d parked their stroller right over in the middle. I couldn’t get around it. They weren’t going to move it. And I couldn’t get out of the way of the people behind me trying to get through our turnstile.

One family had effectively shut down 2 whole lanes right at rope drop.

They finally got it straightened out and made it through. Our CM, who had been apologizing to me the whole time, apologized again. Nothing she could do, it wasn’t her fault. The other CM even looked over and gave me a quick apology. It wasn’t a huge delay so it wasn’t a big deal, but just really frustrating. If they’d have kept their stroller off to the side with them until they were ready to actually go through the gate, it wouldn’t have even been a problem. But it was like they just didn’t want to let anyone else get in ahead of them.

But it just really rubbed me the wrong way. Again, I don’t put it on the CM’s at all. The CM dealing with the family was catching some attitude from them and I think she was doing her best.

But I know for a fact that the mom, or whoever she was, who was pushing the stroller knew I was trying to get around. Just based on eye contact and the look I got. I pretty much took it as a “screw you, you’re not getting in front of us.”

Anyway, I caught up with DW and DS. Since we’d done most of Fantasyland the day before, we decided to hit another slow loader this morning.

I didn’t write this detail down. DL vets, feel free to chime in on this… but it seems to me that the RD for the early entry morning was just there at the turnstile? I don’t recall waiting at the rope near the hub like we did on the prior morning.

Despite the hold up at the turnstiles, we were still well ahead of the bulk of the crowd. We headed down Main Street and once again, kept to the right. But instead of going through the castle, we made a hard right hand turn and entered Tomorrowland. We decided that we’d to ride the Finding Nemo subs before it got lined up this morning. And as it turned out we were first in line!

The CM came up and chatted with us for a little bit. He said they were still doing safety checks on a couple of the subs but would be ready in just a couple of minutes. They got ready and we were loaded into the sub. Nobody else was in line yet, so the captain of our sub told us that while she’d normally tell us to move all the way in, we could sit anywhere we wanted since we were getting a private charter.

Unfortunately, that wasn’t quite the case. A couple of families walked up before the closed the hatches, so they were able to board with us. But it was still far from being a full sub.

It was a fun ride. I think we all enjoyed it. Personally though, I remember the old 20,000 Leagues subs from MK. And I miss them. Knowing that this attraction was originally themed the same way, it kind of made me nostalgic. The Finding Nemo subs were a fun ride, but I definitely wish it was Captain Nemo instead.

We thought we’d knock another slow loader off before the regular crowds were let in. I didn’t research the attractions fully before our trip, so I didn’t realize Autopia didn’t open until the regular park hours. We were headed there when a CM told us that it wasn’t open yet. So instead, we went to Astro Orbiter.

We enjoyed it. It has never been a must do for me. I enjoy doing it once in a while at MK, but I do think I like it better there than at DL. The DL version is right at the entrance to Tomorrowland next to the hub and some rockwork. And it is on ground level. It is a much different experience from the MK counterpart.

When we exited, I checked the time to see how we were doing. We were still in good shape. I knew DW didn’t want to ride Star Tours. And I was kind of OK with the idea of not doing it. But I was kind of hoping it would work out that I could. I didn’t ride it on our WDW trip since I was the only one in our group who wanted to.

But there was no line.

And we were right there.

DW decided that she was ok with taking the kids for another ride on Buzz Lightyear’s Astro Blasters and I was grateful to hop on my starspeeder for a quick flight with C3PO.

When I exited through the dump shop, I finally saw the shirt I wanted. If you remember, I picked up a shirt on our first evening at DL. It was the shirt with Darth Vader riding Astro Orbiter with a Mickey ice cream bar. I loved it.

But then I saw the epic shirt that I’ve seen pictures of, but had been unable to find, even at World of Disney in the huge display of Star Wars themed merchandise that they had.

It was the shirt with Darth Vader and storm troopers on the carousel with the quote, “This will be a day long remembered.”

I didn’t buy it because I’d already bought a shirt.

And I really didn’t need it.

But I wish I would have just bought it.

When I walked out, DW and the kids were already finished defeating Zurg. It was still not quite 8 am, and we had a little bit of time before the common folk were going to be let into the parks with us. We considered riding Mr. Toad, which would complete the last of the slow loading Fantasyland attractions for us. But I had another idea.

A better idea.

I don’t know if I mentioned it yet, but I love the proximity of the parks.

We’d had an extremely successful early entry hour. Far more successful than either of our first 2 early entry mornings at DCA.

Now let’s see if a regular park opening at DCA is more kind to us than the early entries had been.

Friday, was a very full, fun day. And we have hardly any pictures. In fact, the first update has none. I apologize in advance.

Well, I guess Friday didn't happen then. Everything from this point on is just made up.:rolleyes1

Clearly, GCH really did just toss everyone out on their own to get to transportation and deal with moving their luggage.

:sad2:

They looked at me and told me they didn’t know. They said they only knew about the traffic closures at the exact spot they were placed and didn’t know about anything else.

Really?

:sad2: Now this is just embarrassing.

It was interesting watching the runners though. There were some incredible costumes. We saw all kinds of Darth Vaders and Storm Troopers. We saw a lot of people who were dressed in actual running attire, but clearly were Disneybounding with a Star Wars theme.

I have a pet theory that 5K's and other races exist for the sole purpose of giving people an excuse to post selfies.:rotfl:

He had what must have been a huge box, shaped and painted like a Starspeeder. There was a hole in the middle for him to basically stand in it and it hung from straps on his shoulders. It stood out to me for a few reasons. One, you just couldn’t miss it. Two, it was unique. And three, I couldn’t believe that they’d let someone run in something so… big and bulky.

Impressive.:darth:

It's ok to admit it. You were THAT family.

I pretty much took it as a “screw you, you’re not getting in front of us.”

Stay classy, San Diego. Er--Anaheim.

Nobody else was in line yet, so the captain of our sub told us that while she’d normally tell us to move all the way in, we could sit anywhere we wanted since we were getting a private charter.

Excellent! :thumbsup2

I knew DW didn’t want to ride Star Tours. And I was kind of OK with the idea of not doing it. But I was kind of hoping it would work out that I could. I didn’t ride it on our WDW trip since I was the only one in our group who wanted to.

But there was no line.

And we were right there.

DW decided that she was ok with taking the kids for another ride on Buzz Lightyear’s Astro Blasters and I was grateful to hop on my starspeeder for a quick flight with C3PO.

Nice! Way to take one for the team, DW. I bet you got the Vader scene, too.

If you remember, I picked up a shirt on our first evening at DL. It was the shirt with Darth Vader riding Astro Orbiter with a Mickey ice cream bar. I loved it.

That is a great shirt. Scotty loves his, too.

Don't you hate those regrets. If it makes you feel any better, I like the one you got better.

Maybe once? I can't remember.

I'm glad you finally got a definitive answer about the parking and road closures. :thumbsup2 (I hope it was the right answer!)

I think it would've taken every once of resolve on my part to not move that family's stroller for them. If they yelled at me for it, so be it. I hate obnoxious people. >:(

I'm hoping DCA was more kind to you this morning... :goodvibes

Glad to hear you finally got some definitive answer on how to get out of the parking lot ... that whole process would have frustrated me to no end and it at least reads that you were way calmer about the whole thing than I would have been.

I am so not a runner so can't really picture running any distance in general but the idea of running 5K in a ungainly box just strikes me as bizarre. But to each there own.

Other than stroller-gate it sounds like a pretty productive morning. I too remember the 20K subs and miss them - do think I will want to check out the Nemo subs just to try it though.

Kinda wish you bought the shirt - I am so bad when it comes to will power and cool shirts like that

carousel.gif

I got to DLH and walked past the CM’s directing runners to where they needed to go to get to the corrals. There was a roadblock set up in front of the DLH with 2 CM’s standing next to it. I figured they’re next to a roadblock, they must know what is going on.

I told them where I was parked and asked if I could get out now if I wanted to.

Well that's nice and helpful. I kinda understand, because it's easier to train them if they only need to learn one thing, but really, you'd think they'd know ... or at least tell you where to go to find out.

I know this means nothing to most, but the DL vets might understand the area and know what I’m talking about.

I guess I'm not a DL vet, because that means nothing to me.
The only streets I know are Harbor & W. Katella. I guess that's what happens when you don't drive and always stay offsite.

Anyway, I felt good about it, finally having seen it myself. But I did want to be 100% sure. I never saw a car come or go the whole time I was there, so I approached the guard shack to ask. Unlike the day I rolled into DLH, the guard answered me in no uncertain terms that I would be able to get out that way the following morning.

Yay! Finally someone who gives you an answer!

I have to say that given the fact that we were there just to enjoy the parks, the races really didn’t impact us that much. Yes, it caused some parking/traffic issues that we had to try to figure out, and the GCH was less than helpful with that piece of the puzzle… But as for navigating DTD and getting to and through the parks, it was a total non-issue.

So, I've been on both sides in Florida (in the same weekend) ... and I think Disney does a good job of making the races non-disruptive to vacationers while still providing what racers need. It's a little more difficult in California, where everything is so close together, but in Florida you don't really see the runners unless you're at Epcot during the end of the race, and they barely affect your ability to get to the park (assuming you're taking the bus, which I did, you just have to wait to cross into Epcot). I'd imagine it's fairly similar in California - you may have to wait a bit to cross, but for the most part the runners are not in the way of vacationers. I think it's pretty great that they've managed to work it out pretty well.

They let you run in anything. Really. Unless it covers your face (I think).
The most intricate costume I saw in February was a woman running as Kristoff, complete with a giant stuffed moose (Sven) on her back. From what I overheard, it seemed she did something pretty intricate for Star Wars too. People have a lot of fun with the costumes.
The 5K isn't too bad for a bulky costume ... its only a little over 3 miles. I can't imagine someone would do that for the longer races.

Well that was very nice of them.

But I know for a fact that the mom, or whoever she was, who was pushing the stroller knew I was trying to get around. Just based on eye contact and the look I got. I pretty much took it as a “screw you, you’re not getting in front of us.”

Well, if she couldn't get in with her stroller, nobody else should be able to either!

You may have mentioned it once or twice.
Having been to DL twice, I think I have to disagree. The parks are just too far apart.

Now let’s see if a regular park opening at DCA is more kind to us than the early entries had been.

I really hope it is! I can't believe the string of bad early entries you had ... hopefully showing up at park opening was much better!

And we have hardly any pictures. In fact, the first update has none. I apologize in advance.

What???? Well I'm outta here!

I was up at about 4:30. I did set an alarm, but frankly it still wasn’t getting up much earlier than I was waking up on my own most mornings anyway.

I couldn't find the exit, so I'll keep commenting.
(Thought you got lucky there, didn'tcha?)

Just out of curiosity, what was the latest that you slept til?

I hopped in for a quick shower, got dressed and I grabbed a couple more bags that we were done with. I was out the door by about 4:45

15 minutes from awake, showered, dressed, organized and out the door.
Not too shabby.

Clearly, GCH really did just toss everyone out on their own to get to transportation and deal with moving their luggage.

And chaos reigned upon the land.

Disneyland.

Come on. Is this some kind of a screwed up joke???

Apparently.... yes.

so I approached the guard shack to ask. Unlike the day I rolled into DLH, the guard answered me in no uncertain terms that I would be able to get out that way the following morning.

Finally! Someone who knows his job!

I kind of relaxed at this point and I could see the video boards across another parking lot, that were set up at the start of the 5K. They were playing Star Wars music, and I think I started whistling along with it as I walked back towards DTD and GCH.

You were relaxed, weren't you!

I stopped at the Haagen Dazs store to grab a couple of pastries for breakfast,

Because... Haagen Dazs.

Again, these were much cheaper, and much better than what we got our first morning from the QS place in GCH.

I wonder if the food quality suffers since there's so much within walking distance?
If they can't compete, or it's cost prohibitive....

We waited just a few seconds before they shifted the 5K lanes and let us cross.

I don't get that.
Shifted the 5K lanes?

But the one that really made me do a double and then a triple take was a guy dressed as a Starspeeder from Star Tours.

He had what must have been a huge box, shaped and painted like a Starspeeder. There was a hole in the middle for him to basically stand in it and it hung from straps on his shoulders.

Wow. Running 5K is bad enough. But with that strapped on? :faint:

Way to go Andy! You ruined Disney!

Our CM, who had been apologizing to me the whole time, apologized again. Nothing she could do, it wasn’t her fault. The other CM even looked over and gave me a quick apology.

I suspect they were also publicly (in a polite, non-confrontational and oh-so-Disney way) shaming the other woman.
"We're sorry you can't get in the park because this woman's an idiot sir!"
"Yes! We do apologize for the ignorance and complete lack of social skils of this stupid idiot! Have a nice day!"

Just based on eye contact and the look I got. I pretty much took it as a “screw you, you’re not getting in front of us.”

I know the type.
IQ hovering somewhere near the bottom of the curve.

Nobody else was in line yet, so the captain of our sub told us that while she’d normally tell us to move all the way in, we could sit anywhere we wanted since we were getting a private charter.

Nice! Tell him to take it out for an extra long spin while you're at it.

The Finding Nemo subs were a fun ride, but I definitely wish it was Captain Nemo instead.

::yes:: But unfortunately fewer and fewer people remember that movie... or have read the book.

The DL version is right at the entrance to Tomorrowland next to the hub and some rockwork. And it is on ground level.

Really! I would've thought they were the same.

When I exited through the dump shop,

Wait! Wait! Wait!
Did you even like it???

It was the shirt with Darth Vader riding Astro Orbiter with a Mickey ice cream bar. I loved it.

::yes:: Awesome.

It was the shirt with Darth Vader and storm troopers on the carousel with the quote, “This will be a day long remembered.”

Here's how we do it.
YMMV
If we see something and we know we're coming back, we automatically don't buy it.
Give it some time. Maybe you'll change your mind. Maybe you won't.
If we're not coming back.... if you want it and it won't break the bank. Buy it.
I may regret not buying the item, but I'll never regret spending $20 or so.
In the grand scheme of things, it's just not enough that I'd regret spending it.

Nope. That's the first time.

Let's.
Thanks for the update! :goodvibes

Well, I guess Friday didn't happen then. Everything from this point on is just made up.:rolleyes1
I can neither confirm nor deny.

:sad2: Now this is just embarrassing.
::yes:: It just seemed absolutely absurd that a CM in that position wouldn't know anything.

I have a pet theory that 5K's and other races exist for the sole purpose of giving people an excuse to post selfies.:rotfl:
I'll buy it. That's the best reason I've ever seen! :rotfl2:
Impressive.:darth:
It was. I mean it was one of a kind, as far as I could tell, and having the desire to go through the effort and wear such an unwieldy costume just goes to show how into it he was.

It's ok to admit it. You were THAT family.
Well... kind of I guess. I really tried to move to the side so the others behind me could at least get through, but there just wasn't even any room for me to move over to the middle.

Stay classy, San Diego. Er--Anaheim.
:thumbsup2

Excellent! :thumbsup2
::yes:: I mean it would have been even cooler if we had a private tour the whole way... but it was fine. And still kind of cool to be the first ones on a ride for the day.

Nice! Way to take one for the team, DW. I bet you got the Vader scene, too.
Vader and Hoth. My 2 favorites!!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

That is a great shirt. Scotty loves his, too.
If Scotty loves it, that just reinforces my choice. :thumbsup2

Don't you hate those regrets. If it makes you feel any better, I like the one you got better.
I really do like them both. But the one I got, I just like. The one I didn't get, makes me smile every time I see it. I just don't even know what it is.

Maybe once? I can't remember.
Well, you know, I just want to be perfectly clear. Just in case somebody would ever be debating about running from DCA to DL to use an Indiana Jones FP while the clock is ticking. I just want them to know they can probably make it. :rolleyes1

I'm glad you finally got a definitive answer about the parking and road closures. :thumbsup2 (I hope it was the right answer!)
Thankfully it was. And seeing it in place that morning with my own eyes really helped me relax and feel good about it all. I'd finally gotten the answers I needed, and I could see it all in place.

I think it would've taken every once of resolve on my part to not move that family's stroller for them. If they yelled at me for it, so be it. I hate obnoxious people. :(
I did think about it for just a second. If I could have just nudged it over a little bit, I could have gotten through.

But it was a double stroller and there were kids in it.

I'll move a stroller out of my way. But I'm not touching it with kids in it. No matter how much of a ******* their parents are.

I'm hoping DCA was more kind to you this morning... :goodvibes
RSR can't break down every morning... can it??? :faint:

Glad to hear you finally got some definitive answer on how to get out of the parking lot ... that whole process would have frustrated me to no end and it at least reads that you were way calmer about the whole thing than I would have been.
It was great to finally have answers, and it definitely was frustrating.

I wasn't very calm about it the first day. But after that it was just frustratingly funny. I mean I just basically accepted the fact that none of the CM's know anything and I'd figure it out Friday morning when they ran the 5K and had the roads closed. I was definitely stressed about it until I got there Friday to see how it was playing out. I was definitely more calm on the outside than I was on the inside, but what else could I do? Chew out a CM and feel better about it for 5 minutes, before I start to feel bad about taking it out on them?

I am so not a runner so can't really picture running any distance in general but the idea of running 5K in a ungainly box just strikes me as bizarre. But to each there own.
Exactly! To be honest though, when I saw him, there wasn't much running going on. :rotfl:

Other than stroller-gate it sounds like a pretty productive morning. I too remember the 20K subs and miss them - do think I will want to check out the Nemo subs just to try it though.
Absolutely! It is definitely worthwhile to ride it. I'd ride it again as well. I just kind of like the old ride better.

Kinda wish you bought the shirt - I am so bad when it comes to will power and cool shirts like that
I know. It wouldn't have been the end of the world. But I just didn't really need another T-shirt from that trip, so I was trying to limit myself.

I love the gif. Thanks!

Well that's nice and helpful. I kinda understand, because it's easier to train them if they only need to learn one thing, but really, you'd think they'd know ... or at least tell you where to go to find out.
I guess. But I'd really like to think that a CM who is out for traffic control, and stationed by a barricade, would have some general knowledge about road closures and alternate routes. :headache:

I guess I'm not a DL vet, because that means nothing to me.
The only streets I know are Harbor & W. Katella. I guess that's what happens when you don't drive and always stay offsite.
Ok, sorry. Obviously not all. I don't claim to know every road on WDW property. But I do know one person here who drives and stays at DLH with some frequency. And she was particularly who I had in mind when I mentioned that. But no, even as a DL vet, unless you're staying at DLH or driving around on the west side of property, you probably don't know these streets.

Yay! Finally someone who gives you an answer!
And seemed to know what they were talking about! That's the key!

So, I've been on both sides in Florida (in the same weekend) ... and I think Disney does a good job of making the races non-disruptive to vacationers while still providing what racers need. It's a little more difficult in California, where everything is so close together, but in Florida you don't really see the runners unless you're at Epcot during the end of the race, and they barely affect your ability to get to the park (assuming you're taking the bus, which I did, you just have to wait to cross into Epcot). I'd imagine it's fairly similar in California - you may have to wait a bit to cross, but for the most part the runners are not in the way of vacationers. I think it's pretty great that they've managed to work it out pretty well.
Absolutely! They really did a great job of making it all work. The only time we had to cross was when we came out of GCH into DTD. The course was on the half of the DTD walkway that runs right along the shops underneath the GCH rooms. So we had to cross to get into DTD. But it was just a short wait and they got us across quickly. It wasn't an inconvenience at all in that way.

They let you run in anything. Really. Unless it covers your face (I think).
The most intricate costume I saw in February was a woman running as Kristoff, complete with a giant stuffed moose (Sven) on her back. From what I overheard, it seemed she did something pretty intricate for Star Wars too. People have a lot of fun with the costumes.
The 5K isn't too bad for a bulky costume ... its only a little over 3 miles. I can't imagine someone would do that for the longer races.
Oh, there were definitely some intricate ones. I just thought the bulk of this one seemed a bit extreme. I mean we're talking a costume that was several feet long.

I should add though, that I don't think I actually saw him run any when I saw him. He was just walking at that time anyway.

Well that was very nice of them.
:headache:

Well, if she couldn't get in with her stroller, nobody else should be able to either!

You may have mentioned it once or twice.
Having been to DL twice, I think I have to disagree. The parks are just too far apart.
:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

I really hope it is! I can't believe the string of bad early entries you had ... hopefully showing up at park opening was much better!
Well, at least we'd had a good early entry hour at DL. At this point, we had nothing to lose.

What???? Well I'm outta here!
K, cya, bye!

I couldn't find the exit, so I'll keep commenting.
(Thought you got lucky there, didn'tcha?)

Just out of curiosity, what was the latest that you slept til?
Um... for the whole week? I don't know. I think I slept till maybe 8 on the day we left San Diego. I could probably go back to my notes or that update to look and confirm the time, but I'm too lazy. But that day would be the latest I slept in on the whole trip. Most mornings I was up around 6 or 6:30. But I woke up, looked at the clock and went back to sleep at around 3:30 or 4 every morning. And at home that would be 6:30 or 7:00 and I'm always up by then.

15 minutes from awake, showered, dressed, organized and out the door.
Not too shabby.
Well, to be fair, I just wrote down about 4:30. I was probably up a little bit before then. And I certainly wasn't organized. :rotfl2:

And chaos reigned upon the land.

Disneyland.
:rotfl2: What? You want me to carry my own luggage???? What kind of roach motel is this???

Apparently.... yes.
Sick and twisted...

Finally! Someone who knows his job!
About time!

You were relaxed, weren't you!

Because... Haagen Dazs.
::yes:: But it wasn't even ice cream!!! I know I got a blueberry muffin. And it was huge and delicious. I forget what I got DW, but I got 2 huge, delicious pastries for less than $5. It was a bargain!

I wonder if the food quality suffers since there's so much within walking distance?
If they can't compete, or it's cost prohibitive....
Definitely could be. The QS place in GCH was definitely much smaller than anything I've seen in any of the WDW resorts. So I've got to think with so many options within walking distance, it probably just doesn't get as much business. I never saw more than maybe 8 - 10 other people in there anytime I entered it.

I don't get that.
Shifted the 5K lanes?
Ok. This is kind of hard to explain without pictures. But I'll try.

They have the race course set up through DTD with crossings at various locations. At each of these crossings, they have the sides of the course open for people to walk across while CM's managed the crossings with ropes. But in the middle of the race course, there is a "V" shaped barricade set up. What happens is that they use a rope to close the race course on one side of the "V" at a time. When they would close the side of the "V" towards the GCH, we could enter the area behind the "V" and stand there behind it until they let us finish crossing. Once there was a break in the runners, the CM moved the rope to open the half of the course behind us. Another CM then moved a rope to the other side to close the half of the course on the DTD side so we could then leave the island behind the "V" and finish crossing.

Wow. Running 5K is bad enough. But with that strapped on? :faint:
No kidding. I figured he's either crazy or highly dedicated. Maybe both.

Way to go Andy! You ruined Disney!
That's it. I'm putting a steel bumper on our stroller next time.

I suspect they were also publicly (in a polite, non-confrontational and oh-so-Disney way) shaming the other woman.
"We're sorry you can't get in the park because this woman's an idiot sir!"
"Yes! We do apologize for the ignorance and complete lack of social skils of this stupid idiot! Have a nice day!"
You know, I never even thought about it like that. :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

I know the type.
IQ hovering somewhere near the bottom of the curve.

Nice! Tell him to take it out for an extra long spin while you're at it.
:boat: Just ride the EAC for a while.

::yes:: But unfortunately fewer and fewer people remember that movie... or have read the book.

It might just be me thinking I've heard something that I didn't hear. But as Disney is going through the whole concept of everything old being new again with their movies, I thought they had discussed re-making this one.

Really! I would've thought they were the same.
So would I. But they most certainly weren't

Wait! Wait! Wait!
Did you even like it???
Oh sorry. Yeah, it is the exact same ride as the one at DHS. And I loved it every bit as much as that version. So YES!!!!!

Thanks. I do like it. I think I just liked the other a bit better.

Here's how we do it.
YMMV
If we see something and we know we're coming back, we automatically don't buy it.
Give it some time. Maybe you'll change your mind. Maybe you won't.
If we're not coming back.... if you want it and it won't break the bank. Buy it.
I may regret not buying the item, but I'll never regret spending $20 or so.
In the grand scheme of things, it's just not enough that I'd regret spending it.
That's kind of how I did it. I mean I'd looked at World of Disney twice and they had a huge Star Wars display. Likely due to the race that weekend. I never saw the second shirt there, but I did see the one I bought there. I had decided that I wanted that shirt. So when we bought stuff the evening of our first park day, I just went ahead and got it. I never saw the second shirt anywhere except the Star Tours dump shop and I just never even got back in there.

Nope. That's the first time.
Well, I'm glad I mentioned it then!

Let's.
Thanks for the update! :goodvibes
Thank YOU!

Carsland at night looks like pure magic! I love the family photos that you got there. Honestly, what I'd be most excited to see at DLR is Carsland (and Walt's apartment of course ;) )

It's never a bad idea to have ice cream.

What a frustrating time trying to see how that race would affect the other guests!

The Nemo Subs look cute. I'm afraid I'd feel claustrophobic in them. Was it tight?

We've never done Astro Orbiters. Maybe this year? Or, with Roni's fear of heights, maybe not LOL-

I'm glad that you got to go on Star Tours! Too bad about the shirt. If you're still interested, I found 2 websites that sell it (besides Ebay) laughingplace.com and macicalears.com.

Ok, sorry. Obviously not all. I don't claim to know every road on WDW property. But I do know one person here who drives and stays at DLH with some frequency. And she was particularly who I had in mind when I mentioned that. But no, even as a DL vet, unless you're staying at DLH or driving around on the west side of property, you probably don't know these streets.

I figured you were probably referring to people who had been to DL more than twice.
But it's still a sobering reminder that as much as I love that place, I don't know anything other than the parks, the hotels I've stayed at, and DTD. Nothing about the Disney hotels, nothing about the streets ... I guess I have to go back and stay on property next time.

I should add though, that I don't think I actually saw him run any when I saw him. He was just walking at that time anyway.

One thing that people who don't do Disney races (myself included until a few months ago) don't seem to realize is that these races are so walker-friendly - especially the 5K. For all of the races, the people who wear the least running-friendly costumes tend to be the ones who plan to walk the whole thing. Since they don't enforce the pace requirement at the 5K (at least in Florida, might be different at DL where they run through both parks), people take it as an opportunity to wear a costume that they wouldn't wear at a race where they have to run.

Um... for the whole week? I don't know. I think I slept till maybe 8 on the day we left San Diego. I could probably go back to my notes or that update to look and confirm the time, but I'm too lazy. But that day would be the latest I slept in on the whole trip. Most mornings I was up around 6 or 6:30. But I woke up, looked at the clock and went back to sleep at around 3:30 or 4 every morning. And at home that would be 6:30 or 7:00 and I'm always up by then.

I knew you weren't sleeping late, I was just wondering if you'd slept in at all on the trip.
I consider 8 as sleeping in, so yes. You did.

I think only parents consider 8 sleeping in.

And I certainly wasn't organized. :rotfl2:

:laughing: We never are, are we?

What? You want me to carry my own luggage???? What kind of roach motel is this???

:laughing:

They have the race course set up through DTD with crossings at various locations. At each of these crossings, they have the sides of the course open for people to walk across while CM's managed the crossings with ropes. But in the middle of the race course, there is a "V" shaped barricade set up. What happens is that they use a rope to close the race course on one side of the "V" at a time. When they would close the side of the "V" towards the GCH, we could enter the area behind the "V" and stand there behind it until they let us finish crossing. Once there was a break in the runners, the CM moved the rope to open the half of the course behind us. Another CM then moved a rope to the other side to close the half of the course on the DTD side so we could then leave the island behind the "V" and finish crossing.

Okay. I get it.
Never knew they did that. I always figured you just waited for a break in the race and go.
But if there are a lot of runners tightly grouped... then that makes all kinds of sense.

I figured he's either crazy or highly dedicated. Maybe both.

I'm going with both.
Maybe leaning a bit more towards the crazy side.

That's it. I'm putting a steel bumper on our stroller next time.

I thought everyone already had those installed???

You know, I never even thought about it like that. :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

A public service. That's what I offer.

It might just be me thinking I've heard something that I didn't hear. But as Disney is going through the whole concept of everything old being new again with their movies, I thought they had discussed re-making this one.

Huh. I'd sure love it if they would.
Especially now with the latest in technology, you could make it so amazing.

Oh sorry. Yeah, it is the exact same ride as the one at DHS. And I loved it every bit as much as that version. So YES!!!!!

Phew!

I should write my reports like that. It would save a whole bunch of typing.

"So guess what I was going to do? Dive Quest! Swimming with the sharks at the Living Seas!
So I did that and then went to Mousegears to look for a shirt."

Yup. Lots shorter and easier to write.

What an update with no pictures? Pshaw. ;) Well, I read it anyway! Danged rude woman at the turnstiles. I hope you get a chance to procure that shirt someday -- it's so you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter