Somebody's Gonna Pee in a Cup, West Coast - Link to new TR 1/21

Ok. I'm going to be lazy and not reply to every single quote. But I've got to say, you did quite well finding appropriate quotes for everything. I'm impressed. I have a hard enough time just coming up with one to do a chapter title.

I never expected you to answer all of ‘em anyway.
You’re having fun with the titles; I’m just having fun with the answers.
Besides, you’ve got lots of regular followers (and that’s a good thing), so pretty much everything that deserves a comment - good, bad or indifferent - eventually gets one from somebody. ;)

That would have been more appropriate. A close up of my shoe as it hit the deck. :rotfl:

Actually that would have be epic.
Dang shame it didn’t happen that way.

If I ever make a movie about my life, you're directing. Or at least arranging the music.

:woohoo:
I get to work somewhere in the music field!!!
(as soon as someone starts making a movie about your life, that is).

Well, it was the Fairy Godmother. Now if Jessica Rabbit had been there, I don't know that I would have reacted the same way. :rotfl2:

And we’d have expected no less.

And so it begins...

20150429_175523.jpg

20150429_175532.jpg

A view from my seat for the next few weeks. It wasn't a full bore evening last night. I just worked about 80 acres and was done before it got dark. I'd put some new LED lights on the tractor a few weeks ago so I did stay out long enough to let it get dark so that I could aim the lights and get everything all set and ready to go. It was really just a chance to make sure everything's working and ready to go once we really get after it. The planter wasn't quite ready to roll, so nothing has been planted yet. Dad had some issues trying to get it going yesterday and we had to send our seed rate monitor off to get recalibrated. Thankfully, the dealer has an extra one that we can use in the meantime and they should be able to get it running today.
Oh, those darn seed rate monitors! They are always giving me fits!

Okay, obviously, I know nothing. But it's very cool to hear about and see pictures of the farming endeavors. :thumbsup2

As we were sitting in Toontown finishing our lunch, we saw a duck near our table. But this one was bigger than most, and the kids really wanted to go so see it. So we threw our trash away and headed over to investigate.

Cute picture! We have never met Donald in this location!

Oh, look at DD - poor little thing.

And the last picture I took this trip…

At least it was a cool last picture.....

As I was walking, I saw the posted wait time and was trying to enter it in my phone.

When it slipped from my grip.

It flipped in mid-air about 3 times and I swear it just hung there for 10 minutes. And I still could do nothing more than lunge forward and grab a handful of air.

Of course, it landed screen down on a hard surface.

I picked it up and the screen still lit up. It was just spiderwebbed from the bottom right corner. Unfortunately, the touchscreen was not responsive, so I was out of luck. Stupid touchscreen phones.
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!:scared1:

As for comparison to the WDW version. Well, they’re very different. They have similarities, but WDW is just a little bit longer and I like some of the outdoor scenes a little bit better at WDW. But in DL, they have gone above and beyond for the effects in the final lift hill. It is definitely worth seeing. I’m not sure I can say I like the DL version of BTMRR better or not, so I’ll call it a draw. Either way it is BTMRR and it is awesome. And the final lift hill is just awesome!!!!
Completely agree - I like both equally as well, although I have never been able to articulate why. :laughing:

We loved the addition of all the mine stuff at DL recently - really added a cool touch to the ride. But I can't wait to visit MK's version in a few months!

But now back to work. Just taking a quick 11PM break to stretch my legs. Should be done with this field in about an hour and then off to bed.

20150505_225111.jpg
Just reading about this makes me exhausted. :faint:

I was a few updates behind, but I just got all caught up.

I have to totally agree with you on the Fantasmic experience. The show in DL is way better, but the seating is such a pain in the rear, especially now that they employ the FP tactic that they use for World of Color. I had looked into doing that Aladdin's package, but DH said, "Why pay for a meal when we can just get a FP for free?" We went with that, and I'm pretty glad we didn't pay extra for a meal because we had a similar experience. The wait is just long and boring, especially when your choices are standing or sitting on the ground! But absolutely nothing can diminish how fantastic and amazing the show is there!!! DS was just amazed, and every time the Fantasmic music comes on in the car, he goes nuts.

RSR down at rope drop AGAIN?! Oh man, how frustrating!!! I can't believe they don't warn you about that before letting a flood of people all the way down the street to the front of the attraction.

OUCH, what a bummer on your phone! That had to really suck, especially when you and DW are trying to divide and conquer and meet up later.

So sorry about your phone! Dug had that happen just as we were wrapping up our NYC trip a year ago - he was getting out of the car at the airport and it fell out of his pocket and face-down onto the pavement. Completely shattered screen - I thought he was going to burst out crying. :sad: At least that was at the end of the trip, though - it would be a real bummer to not be able to take any more pictures during the trip. :sad2:

Hope the farming is going well! :goodvibes

Hey Andy, Just checking in to say hi in the midst of the crazy end to this term. Trying to keep caught up, but it's getting harder... But I'm reading as I can! Corn just went in around here (don't grow too much, but a little). Winter wheat is up and looking good! Clover for seed is absolutely stunning right now!!

And how much did they charge you for this?! :scared1:
I don't know. Haven't seen the bill yet. :faint:

Yuck that would just plain suck.
::yes:: And we just had the A/C serviced 2 weeks before we started using that tractor this spring.

But it is an old tractor. It has its share of problems. And I've already started shopping for its replacement.

Cool selfie! Like the perspective :thumbsup2
Thanks.

That's a solid inch of dirt you got collected there.
And it felt like more in my lungs. I haven't been in that tractor since Saturday and I still feel like I'm breathing dust.

Why? Just go to bed. Weren't you tired?
Skip the shower next time.
That's what I do.

:rolleyes1
Oh man... I don't even think I could have gotten comfortable enough to sleep. That shower felt great.

Hmm ... I'm wondering if they have two separate M&G areas after the screening room ... it would certainly help with capacity (although it would be a wild coincidence that I got the same one twice).
That or they changed things between December 2012 & January 2015 ...
I really gotta get back to California
Could be 2 areas. I don't know. :confused3

Not waiting in line is definitely better, but if you ever go back and happen to see a short line ... it's definitely worth checking out. I would share more pictures, but I don't have good pictures of most of the better stuff.
That's cool. Now I've got a reason to go back. :thumbsup2

Real nice, Andy!
I try.

What? Me complain about comparisons? I have no idea what you're talking about ...
Maybe I'm thinking of someone else. :rolleyes1

never expected you to answer all of ‘em anyway.
You’re having fun with the titles; I’m just having fun with the answers.
Besides, you’ve got lots of regular followers (and that’s a good thing), so pretty much everything that deserves a comment - good, bad or indifferent - eventually gets one from somebody. ;)
Ok, thanks. Because I'd ideally like to be creative and come up with quotes to answer with... and yeah, I'm just not that good. :rotfl2:

Actually that would have be epic.
Dang shame it didn’t happen that way.
It would have been, wouldn't it? :rotfl:

:woohoo:
I get to work somewhere in the music field!!!
(as soon as someone starts making a movie about your life, that is).
Well... you know. Don't hold your breath.

And we’d have expected no less.
:thumbsup2

Oh, those darn seed rate monitors! They are always giving me fits!

Okay, obviously, I know nothing. But it's very cool to hear about and see pictures of the farming endeavors. :thumbsup2
Yeah, yeah, I know. Doesn't mean much to most, just trying to share a little bit about what is going on in my life right now.

Cute picture! We have never met Donald in this location!
Maybe we just got lucky with it? :confused3 I did kind of wonder why Goofy met people in front of his house, while Donald was clear across Toontown from his boat.

Oh, look at DD - poor little thing.
I just don't get it. She was fine with Goofy at WDW, and she was fine with the other characters at DL.

At least it was a cool last picture.....
Thanks. It really was. Not bad for one taken by me on my phone. :rotfl2:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!:scared1:
:eek: :faint:

Completely agree - I like both equally as well, although I have never been able to articulate why. :laughing:
Yeah, that's pretty much what I was trying to say! :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

We loved the addition of all the mine stuff at DL recently - really added a cool touch to the ride. But I can't wait to visit MK's version in a few months!
I can never get enough of BTMRR. Either version!

Just reading about this makes me exhausted. :faint:
Yeah. Me too. Thankfully, the worst is behind me. And quicker than expected!

I have to totally agree with you on the Fantasmic experience. The show in DL is way better, but the seating is such a pain in the rear, especially now that they employ the FP tactic that they use for World of Color. I had looked into doing that Aladdin's package, but DH said, "Why pay for a meal when we can just get a FP for free?" We went with that, and I'm pretty glad we didn't pay extra for a meal because we had a similar experience. The wait is just long and boring, especially when your choices are standing or sitting on the ground! But absolutely nothing can diminish how fantastic and amazing the show is there!!! DS was just amazed, and every time the Fantasmic music comes on in the car, he goes nuts.
I can say that I didn't have a problem with paying for the meal to get the FP. I thought the price was reasonable for the food that we got. But I just wish the viewing area would have been better, considering that we did pay for a package as opposed to a free FP. But the fact that you have to wait for an hour despite having an FP is just so frustrating! At least the show makes it worthwhile.

RSR down at rope drop AGAIN?! Oh man, how frustrating!!! I can't believe they don't warn you about that before letting a flood of people all the way down the street to the front of the attraction.
I know. It just seems kind of like it would create more of a problem to have everyone walk all the way down to a bottleneck before finding out it is closed. How hard would it be to have a CM at the entrance to Radiator Springs just announcing that RSR is closed, everything else is open?

OUCH, what a bummer on your phone! That had to really suck, especially when you and DW are trying to divide and conquer and meet up later.
::yes:: It was frustrating. Not the end of the world, but frustrating.

So sorry about your phone! Dug had that happen just as we were wrapping up our NYC trip a year ago - he was getting out of the car at the airport and it fell out of his pocket and face-down onto the pavement. Completely shattered screen - I thought he was going to burst out crying. :sad: At least that was at the end of the trip, though - it would be a real bummer to not be able to take any more pictures during the trip. :sad2:
I wasn't too torn up by it. More than anything, I just felt stupid for taking it out of the case and dropping it. But it is just a phone. I was able to live without it for a week before I could get a replacement. I didn't go through withdrawal or anything, so I feel like my addiction to it is still manageable. :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Hope the farming is going well! :goodvibes
It is. Thanks!

Hey Andy, Just checking in to say hi in the midst of the crazy end to this term. Trying to keep caught up, but it's getting harder... But I'm reading as I can! Corn just went in around here (don't grow too much, but a little). Winter wheat is up and looking good! Clover for seed is absolutely stunning right now!!
I totally understand. I've tried to help by bringing things to a screeching halt around here lately. :rotfl2:

We got all of our corn in over the weekend. Things should be slowing down for me.

Ok, quick farming update...

Over the weekend, we finished planting corn. Yes, finished. In about a week and a half. We have NEVER been able to get done that fast. We just had a couple of weeks of perfect weather. We were able to really get after it, and work long days without interruptions. You know, aside from a wasted day due to a breakdown thrown in there. But the 3 days I took off work last week were huge!!!! I was able to put some long hours in for a few days in a row and really get ahead without having to work the usual late nights I typically have to do after coming to my "regular" job. Usually we get some rain and some of the tilled ground has to be worked again and it just takes a lot longer.

We had about 1000 acres of corn to plant and when you have a few days of over 200 acres in a day, it makes quick work of it. On Wednesday, dad planted 240 acres and parked the planter before it even got dark. It just usually never works out that way. Dad usually considers it to be a big day if he can plant 150 acres in a day and we passed 200 acres 3 times. It was just absolutely perfect soil and weather conditions. The soil was perfect and we were able to get up and go early in the morning until late at night.

We just had perfect temperatures and great timing on the rain over the weekend to get the corn started. Corn usually takes about 10 days to germinate and come up. Yesterday, I saw corn coming up in the field at my house. It was planted on Wednesday.

Now that said, we have over 400 acres of soybeans left to plant. As I've mentioned my uncle and cousins typically handle the soybean planting, but I'm sure I'll have to help with that. In fact, I know I will because I worked Saturday tilling some ground to be planted in soybeans until a mid-afternoon storm came through. We've been parked since then due to weather, but should hopefully be able to get back to work today or tomorrow.

Anyway, thanks for putting up with my farming updates. I'll share some more as things continue to progress, but the long days and time crunch to get corn in the ground are behind us. We've got a little more time to plant Soybeans. They can be planted until about mid-June around here. Nitrogen application will be time sensitive when it gets here. There's a small window of time that it can be done, and due to the fact that all the corn was planted at the same time, that window will be that much smaller. We'll get it though!

As I'm sure I've mentioned, I always enjoy working in the fields and I find my time driving a tractor to be therapeutic. Give me a radio and an Air Conditioned cab and I'm happy. Sadly this spring I was only about 25% of the way there. The A/C quit, and the radio worked... kind of. I could only get a handful of stations to come through clearly. I like country and rock. Thankfully I could get 2 of my favorite country stations. But there's a rock station that plays all kinds of rock from the 90's through now that I really like to listen to. They play everything from Nirvana, Oasis, and Goo Goo Dolls to Awolnation, Fallout Boy and Muse. A pretty good mix and probably my number one favorite station to listen to. It is always my go-to that I like to crank up when it is getting late and I'm tired. But sadly I couldn't ever get my radio to pick it up clearly so I was bummed about that.

Sitting in a tractor for hours on end, you tend to hear the top songs in a station's rotation numerous times. And every year, there is one song that it seems like they're playing about twice an hour.

This time, it was a fun song. Brad Paisley, Crushin' It.

I seriously know every word to this song by heart at this point. :rotfl2:

I did take ear buds and listen to a few podcasts though. And I'm using this diversion about my radio listening habits over the past week to direct your attention to a podcast that I listened to live one evening. I know some of you have seen the Disdads around the boards. And yes, we're a crazy bunch of guys who like bacon and beer. And we're quick with an insult or sarcasm wherever it is needed. But good things can come of a close knit group. Even if we have never met each other. If you want to hear a feel good story, and have never listened to a Disdads podcast, or even if you have, check this link out.

I think I'm caught up on TR's/PTR's. If not, feel free to smack me upside the head. I'll try to start working on my next Disneyland update later today.

Last edited:
Over the weekend, we finished planting corn. Yes, finished. In about a week and a half. We have NEVER been able to get done that fast.

Must make you feel pretty good.
What's the longest it's taken you?

But the 3 days I took off work last week were huge!!!!

Do you have to take vacation time? Or does the boss know what you're up to and just give you some "planting" time.

Dad usually considers it to be a big day if he can plant 150 acres in a day and we passed 200 acres 3 times.

Huh!

Yesterday, I saw corn coming up in the field at my house. It was planted on Wednesday.

Already?
What kind of mutant corn are growing out there?!?!?

Anyway, thanks for putting up with my farming updates.

Putting up??? I found them very interesting.
No apologies required.

Nitrogen application will be time sensitive when it gets here. There's a small window of time that it can be done, and due to the fact that all the corn was planted at the same time, that window will be that much smaller.

What form of Nitrogen? Is it a liquid to be sprayed or pellets?
And out of curiosity, what happens if you don't apply it?

As I'm sure I've mentioned, I always enjoy working in the fields and I find my time driving a tractor to be therapeutic.

I can see that. I love relaxing on a nice long stretch of highway with nothing but the radio or audio-book.

But there's a rock station that plays all kinds of rock from the 90's through now that I really like to listen to.

That's better.
Steer away from that Country stuff.

I seriously know every word to this song by heart at this point. :rotfl2:

:laughing:

If you want to hear a feel good story, and have never listened to a Disdads podcast, or even if you have, check this link out.

Oops. Thanks for the reminder. I was going to have a listen to that, then it slipped my mind.

I think I'm caught up on TR's/PTR's. If not, feel free to smack me upside the head.

Bad news then. I'm posting a new chapter tonight.

How wonderful that the corn planting went so well! Hooray for the soil and the weather cooperating with you! :thumbsup2

Glad you guys got the corn planted so quickly. Hopefully the rest of the season will be as well weathered, if that makes sense!

Yeah, yeah, I know. Doesn't mean much to most, just trying to share a little bit about what is going on in my life right now.
Gosh, I hope you didn't take my joking to mean that I wasn't interested. I actually love hearing the farming updates. I now live in a big farming area of the country. It's nice to learn some things and actually feel like I might have a clue about some of the things I see around here.

We had about 1000 acres of corn to plant and when you have a few days of over 200 acres in a day, it makes quick work of it. On Wednesday, dad planted 240 acres and parked the planter before it even got dark. It just usually never works out that way. Dad usually considers it to be a big day if he can plant 150 acres in a day and we passed 200 acres 3 times. It was just absolutely perfect soil and weather conditions. The soil was perfect and we were able to get up and go early in the morning until late at night.
This is awesome! Is it all weather-related? Sorry if I sound stupid....

Corn usually takes about 10 days to germinate and come up. Yesterday, I saw corn coming up in the field at my house. It was planted on Wednesday.
Wow! Again, weather??? Because, here, at least in our yards, we are suffering big time from a weird pre-Thanksgiving below-0 freeze that killed a lot of trees and shrubs and plants, despite that we had almost no winter after that.

But there's a rock station that plays all kinds of rock from the 90's through now that I really like to listen to. They play everything from Nirvana, Oasis, and Goo Goo Dolls to Awolnation, Fallout Boy and Muse.
Yeah, I'm old. My knowledge here stops at Nirvana...... :laughing:

Must make you feel pretty good.
What's the longest it's taken you?
Um... well it really depends. Some years if we can't get in and spray early to keep weed pressure down, we might have to till all the ground once to basically eliminate the weeds that are growing and then till it again right in front of the planter to get the ground in better condition to be planted. The issue is that when you have a lot of weeds, you can get clumps of them in places and it can leave an uneven seedbed. When we're doing this, and you get some uncooperative weather thrown in, we've had it go for 2+ months.

This year though, we only had to work the ground once right before we planted and weather was perfect. It couldn't have been more ideal.

Do you have to take vacation time? Or does the boss know what you're up to and just give you some "planting" time.
Um... well, we'll see how the rest of the year plays out. :rolleyes1

They do understand. And when I'm leaving for planting, we're typically pretty slow in the office so I can kind of decide morning of, in some cases, if I do or don't want to come in. I'd have taken off last Thursday, but we did have someone else who was scheduled off that day so I had to come in. But it is vacation time. I'm salary and they don't track my time off though, so as long as I don't abuse it, it really doesn't matter much.

Already?
What kind of mutant corn are growing out there?!?!?
Not mutant. Genetically modified. :rolleyes1

Yes, we plant GMO corn. And will continue to do so. The non-GMO movement drives me nuts, because a lot of what I see and hear is either not scientific fact, or it is taking one little piece and twisting it. We've been planting GMO soybeans for probably 20+ years now. The corn and soybeans are the same as they were before GMO's, only now we can manage them with less pesticides.

Putting up??? I found them very interesting.
No apologies required.
Well, thanks!

What form of Nitrogen? Is it a liquid to be sprayed or pellets?
And out of curiosity, what happens if you don't apply it?
It can be any of the above. It can be granulated dry fertilizer that is spread before the corn is planted and worked into the ground, it can be liquid applied by a sprayer... as long as it is dropped in below the foliage. Nitrogen will "burn" the plants if it touches them.

But the most effective way to apply nitrogen to corn is to inject it into the soil. This can either be done with a liquid that is 28% nitrogen... see image below

hqdefault.jpg

Or by injecting a liquid vapor of anhydrous ammonia that is 82% nitrogen.

Article_1_Figure_1_F7B45761BE8B0.jpg

These are the most effective ways to deliver nitrogen to the plant. A liquid applicator doesn't pull quite as hard and you have more flexibility on soil conditions and moisture when you apply it, but anhydrous ammonia is the most cost effective method. It is also, by far, one of the most dangerous things you can be working with on the farm. It boils at -28 F, so it is pressurized and as it is released it comes out as a gas. You have to make sure that the soil isn't too wet so that you can inject it and then get the ground sealed back up behind the knife so that it doesn't escape. Now, you can go right back in and dig up the trench and it has neutralized by that point, but you've got to be able to inject and seal it into the soil to keep the gas from escaping.

This gas is cold enough, that you'll have ice on metal fittings and the metal regulator that it runs through no matter how hot it is outside. The gas is basically a white cloud, and you never ever want to be exposed to it. You can google if you want to see how nasty that stuff can be. It also smells very similar to household ammonia cleaners. Only a lot stronger. And if you happen to get downwind of this stuff and don't realize it, it will absolutely take your breath away even if it isn't in a high enough concentration to see the white cloud.

Now if you don't apply nitrogen... you won't have much corn. The plant will grow, but it won't be as healthy as it should and the ear of corn you get will be small and not as fully developed. Nitrogen is a nutrient that doesn't stay in the soil for long. That's why we like to apply it after we plant. Some will apply it before, but the longer it is in the ground, the more you lose. Also, if there's a lot of rain and the soil is saturated, you're going to lose more nitrogen.

Corn and wheat (or any other grass family plant) will need nitrogen from outside sources. It can come from decomposition of organic matter or manure in addition to the other fertilizer sources. Soybeans (or any other legumes) are able to create their own nitrogen. There is a co-beneficial relationship they have with a bacteria. The bacteria attaches nodules to the legume's roots. The bacteria then receives nutrients from the legume and in turn, produces nitrogen that the plant can use.

I can see that. I love relaxing on a nice long stretch of highway with nothing but the radio or audio-book.
::yes::

That's better.
Steer away from that Country stuff.
Well, that will never happen entirely.

Oops. Thanks for the reminder. I was going to have a listen to that, then it slipped my mind.
It's a good one! Have you listened to any of them yet?

Bad news then. I'm posting a new chapter tonight.
I saw that. Hoping to get there this afternoon.

How wonderful that the corn planting went so well! Hooray for the soil and the weather cooperating with you! :thumbsup2
Thanks. It all went perfectly!

Glad you guys got the corn planted so quickly. Hopefully the rest of the season will be as well weathered, if that makes sense!
It does, thanks! It is all so dependent on the weather. We're off to a phenomenal start, but we still need a lot of help from Mother Nature to get us to the end.

Gosh, I hope you didn't take my joking to mean that I wasn't interested. I actually love hearing the farming updates. I now live in a big farming area of the country. It's nice to learn some things and actually feel like I might have a clue about some of the things I see around here.
Oh, I know. And I do love your area of the country. Much different from here, but I used to work for the USDA just after I graduated college and I'd spend about 3 weeks every year out in the PNW wheat country.

This is awesome! Is it all weather-related? Sorry if I sound stupid....
Yes, it really is. There are a few other conditions that played in on it, but they also are affected by weather. We've been getting a great mix of rain followed by days to get work done.

Wow! Again, weather??? Because, here, at least in our yards, we are suffering big time from a weird pre-Thanksgiving below-0 freeze that killed a lot of trees and shrubs and plants, despite that we had almost no winter after that.
Yeah. Corn needs the ground to be 55 - 60 degrees to germinate. We had plenty of soil moisture and then a record high temperature week last week in the mid to upper 80's. We were probably 15 - 20 degrees above average last week. Now corn doesn't like high 80's and 90's once July gets here, but for getting it up and out of the ground it was the perfect week for a heat wave.

Yeah, I'm old. My knowledge here stops at Nirvana...... :laughing:
That isn't necessarily an age thing. Maybe just not your taste in music?

we've had it go for 2+ months.

Whoa. How frustrating (or scary) would that be!

They do understand. And when I'm leaving for planting, we're typically pretty slow in the office so I can kind of decide morning of, in some cases, if I do or don't want to come in. I'd have taken off last Thursday, but we did have someone else who was scheduled off that day so I had to come in. But it is vacation time. I'm salary and they don't track my time off though, so as long as I don't abuse it, it really doesn't matter much.

That's not bad. It sounds like Ruby. She works an insane amount plus what they call "voluntary overtime" (i.e. we don't pay you)
But she'll take a day off when it's slower or when she needs it and they don't worry about it.

Not mutant. Genetically modified. :rolleyes1

No whistling required.
Technically, every plant we eat is genetically modified.

Yes, we plant GMO corn. And will continue to do so. The non-GMO movement drives me nuts, because a lot of what I see and hear is either not scientific fact, or it is taking one little piece and twisting it. We've been planting GMO soybeans for probably 20+ years now. The corn and soybeans are the same as they were before GMO's, only now we can manage them with less pesticides.

Like I said. You don't have to explain it to me.
I say we give all the rotten fruit and veg to the non-GMO people and let them eat that.

I think too many people have watched the X-Men movies.
"Oh my God! Their mutant vegetables!!!"

Go away.

It can be any of the above. It can be granulated dry fertilizer that is spread before the corn is planted and worked into the ground, it can be liquid applied by a sprayer... as long as it is dropped in below the foliage. Nitrogen will "burn" the plants if it touches them.

But the most effective way to apply nitrogen to corn is to inject it into the soil. This can either be done with a liquid that is 28% nitrogen... see image below

Or by injecting a liquid vapor of anhydrous ammonia that is 82% nitrogen.

I'm not going to quote that entire explanation, but I did read it.
With great interest I might add.
I blows me away how much science goes into growing crops.
I don't know if my Grandparents or Uncle used anything or not.
They just had gardens about, oh... half a football field in size?
I mean of corn.

They're all gone so I can't ask them.
But I'd be curious to know what they did back then compared to what you do now.
I doubt they used nitrogen though.
But I don't even know if they used compost or manure either.

It's a good one! Have you listened to any of them yet?

No! I've been at work or busy at home and haven't had a chance!
I have very little computer time when I'm at home.

Over the weekend, we finished planting corn. Yes, finished. In about a week and a half. We have NEVER been able to get done that fast. We just had a couple of weeks of perfect weather. We were able to really get after it, and work long days without interruptions. You know, aside from a wasted day due to a breakdown thrown in there. But the 3 days I took off work last week were huge!!!! I was able to put some long hours in for a few days in a row and really get ahead without having to work the usual late nights I typically have to do after coming to my "regular" job. Usually we get some rain and some of the tilled ground has to be worked again and it just takes a lot longer.

We just had perfect temperatures and great timing on the rain over the weekend to get the corn started. Corn usually takes about 10 days to germinate and come up. Yesterday, I saw corn coming up in the field at my house. It was planted on Wednesday.

Sounds like everything was perfect for the corn and it's already growing! Very cool!

Now that said, we have over 400 acres of soybeans left to plant. As I've mentioned my uncle and cousins typically handle the soybean planting, but I'm sure I'll have to help with that. In fact, I know I will because I worked Saturday tilling some ground to be planted in soybeans until a mid-afternoon storm came through. We've been parked since then due to weather, but should hopefully be able to get back to work today or tomorrow.

Anyway, thanks for putting up with my farming updates. I'll share some more as things continue to progress, but the long days and time crunch to get corn in the ground are behind us. We've got a little more time to plant Soybeans. They can be planted until about mid-June around here. Nitrogen application will be time sensitive when it gets here. There's a small window of time that it can be done, and due to the fact that all the corn was planted at the same time, that window will be that much smaller. We'll get it though!

Hopefully the soybean planting will go well and weather will be on your side.

I like country

:crazy2:

They play everything from Nirvana, Oasis, and Goo Goo Dolls to Awolnation, Fallout Boy and Muse.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I've only ever listened to the actual DIS podcast when they have something that interests me but it's been at least 10 months to a year since i've listened to one. Never knew that the DIS dads had one too!

Whoa. How frustrating (or scary) would that be!
::yes::

No whistling required.
Technically, every plant we eat is genetically modified.
Well, some people get up in arms about it. I always just have to roll my eyes. I've got science on my side.

I blows me away how much science goes into growing crops.
Crop science was my minor in college. And truthfully I enjoyed it a heck of a lot more than my major. I ended up taking a bunch of elective crops classes once I met my minimum requirements.

I don't know if my Grandparents or Uncle used anything or not.
They just had gardens about, oh... half a football field in size?
I mean of corn.
I'm guessing they used Urea... or the granulated nitrogen that can be spread on the ground before it is tilled and planted. If they raised corn, they almost had to apply nitrogen in some form. This used to be the common way to do it. And some still do. Heck, that's what I do for the small sweet corn patch that I have. But for the past 30+ years, on a large production ag scale, urea has just become less and less common. Most use anhydrous ammonia and liquid 28% nitrogen has been catching on big time the past 10 years or so while urea is kind of going by the wayside.

Sounds like everything was perfect for the corn and it's already growing! Very cool!
It has been a great start to the growing season. Just a perfect week last week.

Hopefully the soybean planting will go well and weather will be on your side.
SO far so good. Plenty of time there and I think it will dry up enough to get back at it today. It won't take long to get them all done.

Not a country fan?

Well, I'm glad I didn't totally disappoint you with my taste in music.

I've only ever listened to the actual DIS podcast when they have something that interests me but it's been at least 10 months to a year since i've listened to one. Never knew that the DIS dads had one too!
They've been doing them for a few years now. There are some good ones, but this one was really great. I know everyone here understands the relationships forged among Dis friendsd, but this particular podcast really says a lot about the group of Disdads and why I'm proud to be among them.

Crop science was my minor in college.

It shows!

And truthfully I enjoyed it a heck of a lot more than my major.

Which was???

I'm guessing they used Urea... or the granulated nitrogen that can be spread on the ground before it is tilled and planted. If they raised corn, they almost had to apply nitrogen in some form. This used to be the common way to do it. And some still do. Heck, that's what I do for the small sweet corn patch that I have. But for the past 30+ years, on a large production ag scale, urea has just become less and less common. Most use anhydrous ammonia and liquid 28% nitrogen has been catching on big time the past 10 years or so while urea is kind of going by the wayside.

You may be right.
Your guess is certainly going to be better than mine.
I'd love to be able to ask my Grandfather, but he's been gone a long time.
He would've been planting 100 years ago.
I'd have to ask my mom... but I think his main crop was wheat.

Which was???
Ag Economics.

Which is why I'm stuck at a desk for my day job.

Should have done more with crop science so I could be crop advisor or something.

I'd have to ask my mom... but I think his main crop was wheat.
Probably would have been urea there too. If it was that long ago, I'm sure that's what they used. And they were probably handling it in 80 pound bags. I just can't even imagine doing it that way, but back in those days...

I don't have a lot of time to comment (as will be revealed in my next TR update), but I just have to say these last couple days of your updates have been fascinating. First off, I had no idea that either of the subjects that you majored/minored in were even something covered in colleges! This is coming from someone who majored in saxophone performance and minored in Music History. Real useful college degrees! :rolleyes1

All this information on crop growing is great. I had no idea that Nitrogen was used to enhance growing. It's funny that I have been driving through Central California for over 30 years seeing the crops growing and had no idea of all the science and stuff that goes into the growing. So glad you had a great year for planting. I hope that your soybeans go as well.

My growing has mostly been tomatoes and squash, and generally out of pots. It was only last year that we moved to a house with a yard, but our soil is so dense and has been leached of all the nutrients that until we do some serious work, pots are still our best bet. This year planting was out of the question as we had so much going on and then there was the whole broken leg thing.

I'm probably the oldest one here, Nirvana, and the Goo Goo Dolls are the only ones in that list that I've even heard of. They're way beyond my time. I'm more of a Doors, Rolling Stones, Led Zepplin fan, you know the Hippie kind of stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter