Somebody's Gonna Pee in a Cup, West Coast - Link to new TR 1/21

I love the new additions to Fantasyland, but I do miss having a Toontown at WDW.

Totally agree with this ... New Fantasyland is great, but Toontown was just so much fun!

We headed on to Mickey’s house and walked right through and soon got to meet the Mouse, himself.

So ... apparently Mickey's M&G area has totally changed since December 2012. When I was there, you walked through his house, out to his film barn, and took a picture with Mickey in a bandleader-type outfit.
It looked like this:
100_0193.JPG
Just less sideways (I don't know how to turn pictures when I insert them directly into the post) ... also, this picture is from 2009, but it was the same area in 2012

DD had been doing fine with the characters, but I guess because Goofy was so tall, she must have been intimidated. She refused to get near him without being held.

Well, Goofy's a big guy, that can get scary when you're a little kid.
Now that she's 3 and officially a big girl, I'm sure she won't be scared anymore.

I loved Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Seriously, one of my favorite movies when I was a kid. I loved the sight gags that they used to have in MGM Studios back in the day that have slowly dissipated over the years. So I was really looking forward to riding this ride. It is basically a dark ride, but you ride in cars that have a wheel in the middle so that you can spin them as you go around, similar to the way the teacups work. A fun idea and a fun ride!

I also love the movie, so it's a ride I always enjoy. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it too. Although one thing I also love about the ride is the queue area (which is very well themed), not sure how much of that you see on the FP line, so here's a picture of some DIP for you ...
100_2906.JPG
(there's a lot more to see, I just took terrible pictures of it all)

And the last picture I took this trip…

Well, if you have to have a last picture, at least it's of the castle ...

When it slipped from my grip.

It flipped in mid-air about 3 times and I swear it just hung there for 10 minutes. And I still could do nothing more than lunge forward and grab a handful of air.

Of course, it landed screen down on a hard surface.

I picked it up and the screen still lit up. It was just spiderwebbed from the bottom right corner. Unfortunately, the touchscreen was not responsive, so I was out of luck. Stupid touchscreen phones.

I actually cringed when I read this. Ouch.
I broke my sister's phone on line for Dumbo a few years ago, but at least the touchscreen still worked. I can't imagine the touchscreen not working ... that's horrible.
And ... I just realized that this was all caused by the problems with the Otterbox case. If you had the case on when it fell, it probably wouldn't have broken - the lip on the case is supposed to prevent the touchscreen from actually hitting the ground. Man, stupid phone case causing problems!

As for comparison to the WDW version. Well, they’re very different. They have similarities, but WDW is just a little bit longer and I like some of the outdoor scenes a little bit better at WDW. But in DL, they have gone above and beyond for the effects in the final lift hill. It is definitely worth seeing. I’m not sure I can say I like the DL version of BTMRR better or not, so I’ll call it a draw. Either way it is BTMRR and it is awesome. And the final lift hill is just awesome!!!!

This is one ride (Space Mountain is another) that I tend to think of as two different rides entirely ... it's the same name and the same general story, but a different experience.
But yeah, stop trying to compare rides just to annoy me!

As we were sitting in Toontown finishing our lunch, we saw a duck near our table. But this one was bigger than most, and the kids really wanted to go so see it. So we threw our trash away and headed over to investigate.
:thumbsup2 Cute!
And then we considered doing the Gadget Go Coaster, but the posted 30 minute wait convinced us to quickly distract the kids so we wouldn’t have to wait in that line.

Look kids, Donald’s boat!!!
:rotfl: Gotta love the age where this still works!

Well, at least it was a good one! :rotfl:
It flipped in mid-air about 3 times and I swear it just hung there for 10 minutes. And I still could do nothing more than lunge forward and grab a handful of air.

Don't you love how these things tend to work?

The things we have to do as parents…
It's a hard life at times I tell ya! :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Yep. That one's ready. I'm ready. Now we've just got to get the bugs out of everything else. The forecast is good so as of about 5 minutes ago, I'm planning to take the first 3 days off from work next week so we can really get a good start.

Awesome glad the weather is on your side too!

Thanks! It is my new favorite Disney shirt. Although it wouldn't be until the last day of our trip that I'd finally find this one on a shelf and I kicked myself for not getting it.
18161_175_300.jpg

:rotfl2::rotfl: You need this! :lmao:

I wasn't playing Candy Crush though. At least not that time.

And I kind of prefer Frozen Free Fall to Candy Crush. :rolleyes1

I'm not even going to try looking up Frozen Free Fall. I don't want DH to catch any glimpses of new games! He's almost beat Candy Crush Soda Saga so i'm sure he'll be wanting something new soon.:sad2:

I got into a little bit of an argument with the salesman at the Verizon store once about that very point! He was trying to sell me my first ever totally touchscreen phone. I told him I wanted buttons too so that I'm not screwed if something happens to the touchscreen. Now I can go back, shove it in his face and say "told ya so!"

It only took a few years and 3 or 4 phones, but I was right!

Have you gone through that many phones?!

I usually like the back. But in this case, I kind of wanted front so that I just had darkness in front of me and couldn't what was coming. That's one of the best things about Space, but since it is a different ride from the WDW version I wanted that view of nothing rather than the car in front cluing me into what was coming.

Isn't the music amazing? Totally adds to the ride!

::yes:: I could hit the power button to ignore it. Not that it helped any. :headache:

And then DW would be wondering why in the world you were ignoring her calls. Probably not good.:rolleyes1

FiL does this all his grandkids. When they come over he'll tell them to go ask mammaw if they can help her make some cookies. :rotfl2:

:rotfl: That's so me!

It's cool to see the pictures and read about the farming. I even read the comments which I usually skip. ;)

There aren't many farms where we live and certainly none that are that large since our state is so small and congested. Hearing about all the equipment and technology is fascinating. What crops do you plant?

The pics of the kids are great in this update.

I'm sorry about your phone. That stinks. :sad2:

That's funny about having to finish your daughter's popsicle. I'm at the point now with my boys where I have to share my food with them after they've finished their's. :rotfl2:

While DS and I had been riding, DW bought a popsicle for DD, so I had to finish it for her when she decided that she’d had enough.

We wanted to try and ride Pirates on our way out, but as we approached we could see CM’s out front. It was

Being a parent is hard :rotfl2:. Toontown was one of my favorite things as a kid. Its good that the kids got to experience it here now that it is gone from WDW. I am sorry about your phone, its especially sucky that you only had this for pictures :sad1:. Glad you liked Space, its awesome that you can experience all these attractions in a new way.

Had some free time this morning, so...

You should have more free time.
We benefit when you do.

I was too focused on keeping track of where the kids were, so unfortunately, no pictures.

Next time, ditch the kids and take photos.
Think of us, man!

I love the new additions to Fantasyland, but I do miss having a Toontown at WDW.

Never went to Toontown. Avoided it like the plague.
Ditto with the new Circus section.

We headed on to Mickey’s house and walked right through and soon got to meet the Mouse, himself.

Was he one of the new talking Mickey's?

And then we considered doing the Gadget Go Coaster, but the posted 30 minute wait convinced us to quickly distract the kids so we wouldn’t have to wait in that line.

Look kids, Donald’s boat!!!

:laughing: Kids always distracted with whatever's right in front of 'em. Parents always looking ahead so they can distract the kids with something else.

She refused to get near him without being held.

My DDs were like that at first with... every character in the world.
I was completely shocked when DD4 wanted to see (and hug!) Winnie the Pooh

I loved Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

First movie I can recall that mixed live action with animation.
And I thought it was amazing.

you can spin them as you go around,

:sick:

We knew that the Nemo subs can tend to have long waits,

I just wish it was Captain Nemo instead of Nemo the fish.

Pretty good one too.
I like the way the canopy is forming a frame to the castle.

Bet you thought something tragic would happen to my phone on the carousel, right?

Well..... yes.

Might be because Pinocchio isn’t exactly my favorite Disney movie, but it was definitely nice to ride something new.

I'm not positive (wasn't taking notes at the time :rolleyes:) but I'm pretty sure that was my first cartoon movie.

Someone from home was texting me asking questions about a meeting we were supposed to attend that evening. He was off by a week.

Noooo!!!! No work while on vacation!!!
You're ruining it!!!

Uh, oh. Here we go.

It flipped in mid-air about 3 times and I swear it just hung there for 10 minutes.

You should've gotten yourself a drink, relaxed for a bit and then tried to grab it.
You might've had a better chance.

I picked it up and the screen still lit up. It was just spiderwebbed from the bottom right corner. Unfortunately, the touchscreen was not responsive, so I was out of luck. Stupid touchscreen phones.

Whoops.

I could see she was calling, but I couldn’t answer.

And who was getting more angry? Her? Because you weren't picking up. Or you? Because she was calling and you couldn't answer.

I picked up the pace. I was a man on a mission. I was power-walking, borderline running.

Small children were trampled underfoot.
Might've been a dwarf or two, too.

It wasn’t long before I heard my name. I looked up and they were on the Carousel again.

"Heard your name"
Uh, huh.
Probably more like "Andy! Answer your darned phone!"

But in DL, they have gone above and beyond for the effects in the final lift hill.

So I've heard.
And I doubt I'll ever see it.

We’d grabbed a Rider Swap pass, so we headed back out and handed it to DW so she and DS could ride. She was sitting on a bench next to a lady waiting with a baby. She started asking about the pass I gave DW so I explained it to her how it worked. She’d never heard of such a thing and was very appreciative of the information.

Nice of you to spread a little pixie dust there.

Nothing but sacrifices.
I hope the little ingrates appreciate us finishing their popsicles.

Thanks for the chapter, Andy! :goodvibes

A Saturday farming update. I've spent about 5 minutes driving a tractor today. Productivity grinds to a halt when it is a 2 service truck kind of day.

20150502_174158.jpg

We've done other things and been crawling around working on the planter most of the day so I'm wiped out. But not a productive day at all.

20150502_200717.jpg

Planter wouldn't raise this morning. At 8pm, still won't. Service techs are still here trying to help figure it out. This should be cheap...

We've done other things and been crawling around working on the planter most of the day so I'm wiped out. But not a productive day at all.

Sorry to hear that dude.
Hope it works out soon.

Service techs are still here trying to help figure it out. This should be cheap...

Oh, sure. Five, ten bucks tops.

Finally got it fixed at about 9pm. Went home and called it a day.

The problem... a stuck valve. One of many on the planter so it was an all day game of cat and mouse trying to find the problem.

The solution... you can't even make this up. A spring from an ink pen. Stuck it in the valve to give it some tension and everything worked like it should.

The solution... you can't even make this up. A spring from an ink pen. Stuck it in the valve to give it some tension and everything worked like it should.

Seriously?!?!?

Good luck with your planting. I know this must be a very busy time of year.

OMG to the your phone. I totally got the visual of it flying up in the air and flipping over and over and over and...... OOPS! So I'm thinking there is probably nothing worse than hearing a call or text come in and not being able to answer it. :faint:

I love all the PP pictures of the kids again. I also loved seeing Toontown because, honestly, I sort of miss it.

I have heard repeatedly that Space Mountain is better at DL. I really want to try it.

And BTMMR - not matter what the version - its like you said - its BTMMR - what's not to LOVE! :love:

Happy belated birthday to your DD! A princess dress that sings...that has to be fun to have around. :lmao:

Baseball! That's a rite of passage for any boy. I grew up with both my brothers playing, and I can't imagine springs where you didn't go to games. Your pictures made me excited for my DS to get old enough to start playing.

Wow, no Fastpasses in Fantasyland? That has to be a madhouse during really busy seasons. Sounds like PP at DL is even worse than WDW's version in terms of waiting.

An outside loading dock for Small World?! I had to look closely at your picture, at first, becaue I thought that's what it looked like, but I couldn't believe it.

Some of the differences between the two parks are incredible.

Look at all the characters just hanging out around Toontown. That had to be really cool.

Goofy is pretty tall, so I can see how your DD was aprehensive of him.

By the way, your shirt is awesome! So many cool things happening on it at once.

Your phone! Oh no! The cracked screen of death. (I cracked 2 screens in 2 weeks last month. Thankfully, I had a glass protector on it that the company gave me free replacements on, but still, I understand your pain very well.)
I was telling another DISer that had phone issues on her trip that being in the parks has to be the worst time to have your phone break. The place is so big and so crowded that you just have to rely on luck to meet back up with the other members of your party.

But man...first your DS gets sick, then you get that unique room view, then RSR is down both mornings, your view of Fantasmic was obscured, and then your phone breaks. When it rains, it pours for you.

So frustrating when you get hit with curve balls like this.

Planter wouldn't raise this morning. At 8pm, still won't. Service techs are still here trying to help figure it out. This should be cheap...
Ouch sorry to hear. Hope things get figured out soon!

How About This Weather, Huh? It Never Rains!

“No. I'LL drive, I'M the cab! Outta my way, pencil neck!”

As we were sitting in Toontown finishing our lunch, we saw a duck near our table. But this one was bigger than most, and the kids really wanted to go so see it.

“Thith ith the latht time I work with thomeone with a th-peech impediment.”

We then took a few minutes to walk through some of the businesses in Toontown and check out some of the fun sight gags.

“What's wrong with Toontown? Every Joe loves Toontown.”

“I suppose you think no one's going to notice Toontown's disappeared?”

:woohoo:

By the time we’d made our circuit through Toontown, it was time to use our FP for Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin.

“I can't believe they locked me up for driving on the sidewalk.”

I loved Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Seriously, one of my favorite movies when I was a kid.

“I'm leaving you with your favorite friend, Roger.
He's going to take very, very good care of you, because if he doesn't...

HE'S GOING BACK TO THE SCIENCE LAB.”

It is basically a dark ride, but you ride in cars that have a wheel in the middle so that you can spin them as you go around, similar to the way the teacups work. A fun idea and a fun ride!

“What an unfortunate accident. Nothing more treacherous than a slippery road…
especially when driving in a maniacal toon vehicle.”

Buzz Lightyear didn’t have a very long line, so we went ahead and rode.

Any major differences between the versions of that one?

At least it’s an interesting picture.
Would have been sad if the last one was something like an out of focus shot of you shoe or such.

Bet you thought something tragic would happen to my phone on the carousel, right?

Nope.

The suspense it building…

The entrance to Space Mountain is different from the way it is in Florida. Here, you enter a building and walk up a ramp for a while before you get to the FP machines and entrance to the queue. As I was walking, I saw the posted wait time and was trying to enter it in my phone.

[<<ominous music begins to swell>>

<<string section hold on dissident chord>>
<< Cue slow motion cameras>>

<<music soundtrack goes silent>>
<<only sound heard is deep breathing>>

<<Foley Artists create intense sound of shattering glass>>

I picked it up and the screen still lit up. It was just spiderwebbed from the bottom right corner.

Oh the humanity!!

I used my FP and was quickly near the loading area for Space. I asked the CM if I could wait and ride in the front row and he let me!!! It was an amazing ride!!! I definitely agree with the general consensus that it is a smoother ride than WDW. I just really enjoyed it.

And fate looks kindly on you after such tragedy.
I really need to get out there and experience the DL versions of the rides I known so long.

As I was walking my phone rang. DW was calling. I could see she was calling, but I couldn’t answer.

Now it’s just taunting you.

the Fairygodmother was walking the opposite direction and tried to interact with me. I had to give her a quick hi/bye. Gotta run.

“I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way. “

A dad’s gott’a do what a dad’s gott’a do.

It wasn’t long before I heard my name. I looked up and they were on the Carousel again.

Deep breath - Ahhhhh… all is well.

First up was Big Thunder Mountain. I think the posted wait was 15 minutes and it really didn’t even seem that long.

That’s crazy…
I’ve never seen it that low on this coast unless the park was just shy of closing.

As for comparison to the WDW version. Well, they’re very different.

Again…
I need to get out there

We’d grabbed a Rider Swap pass, so we headed back out and handed it to DW so she and DS could ride. She was sitting on a bench next to a lady waiting with a baby. She started asking about the pass I gave DW so I explained it to her how it worked. She’d never heard of such a thing and was very appreciative of the information.

Does make you feel good when you can help someone else find a bit more magic.
I love when I can help folks like that in the parks.
You don good sir.

While DS and I had been riding, DW bought a popsicle for DD, so I had to finish it for her when she decided that she’d had enough.

Such sacrifices…

Sorry to read about your phone. Butterfingers.

The problem... a stuck valve. One of many on the planter so it was an all day game of cat and mouse trying to find the problem.

You should've called MacGyver first. Have him take a look at your phone too.

By the way, I'll get there later, but is it common for them to line the entire standby queue for Star Tours up outside??? It appeared to me that they basically left the queue inside the building open, but lined the standby riders up outside the building in switchbacks and merged them with FP riders right there as they entered the building. It seemed odd and wasteful to not be using that entire queue!

Yes, it is very common. I always wonder about that one too. I pretty much almost always ride ST with FP so I always wonder why the queue is so empty. It kind of sucks because you miss all the pre show with C3PO and R2D2.

By the time we’d made our circuit through Toontown, it was time to use our FP for Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin.

I never realized that was a FP ride! I've only been on it once, so I'll have to make that right.

OUCH!

I used my FP and was quickly near the loading area for Space. I asked the CM if I could wait and ride in the front row and he let me!!! It was an amazing ride!!! I definitely agree with the general consensus that it is a smoother ride than WDW. I just really enjoyed it.

The front row is totally the best!

Thanks! It is my new favorite Disney shirt. Although it wouldn't be until the last day of our trip that I'd finally find this one on a shelf and I kicked myself for not getting it.
18161_175_300.jpg

I have that shirt and I'm wearing it right now in honor of May the 4th! :thumbsup2

:headache:

Wow!

Any major differences between the versions of that one?

Yes, at DL you can pick up the shooter and point it where ever you like. At WDW, it's attached to the ride.

Let's see: new roller coast vs. crowded character greeting area. Sorry, dude, new coaster wins every time.

It is basically a dark ride, but you ride in cars that have a wheel in the middle so that you can spin them as you go around, similar to the way the teacups work. A fun idea and a fun ride!

And we've established how much you love the tea cups!:thumbsup2

I just didn’t know how @Captain_Oblivious managed to accomplish as much as he did in just one day.

Well, when you just don't sleep, and force your kids to keep marching into the wee hours, you can do a lot!

NOOOOOOOOooooooooo....

It was an amazing ride!!! I definitely agree with the general consensus that it is a smoother ride than WDW. I just really enjoyed it.

I love the soundtrack too. Did it seem faster to you, or was it just me?

It is definitely worth seeing. I’m not sure I can say I like the DL version of BTMRR better or not, so I’ll call it a draw. Either way it is BTMRR and it is awesome. And the final lift hill is just awesome!!!!

Those two are very close. I just loved the new effects at DL.

Ugh! So frustrating when nothing goes as planned. Hopefully everything is back up and running in working order by today!! :thumbsup2

Things have been going well the past few days. I've decided to take Wednesday off from work this week but have to go back Thursday. Might get some time to check in then.

But now back to work. Just taking a quick 11PM break to stretch my legs. Should be done with this field in about an hour and then off to bed.

20150505_225111.jpg

Andy that's a cool night shot. :thumbsup2

I was thinking of you actually today.
I worked 3pm-11pm yesterday.
Got called in to work from 7am-11pm today.
Work tomorrow 7am-3pm.

I was thinking... those are Andy's hours!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter