Somebody's Gonna Pee in a Cup, West Coast - Link to new TR 1/21

Unforgiveable!

Ok. Forgiven.
That was easy.

Must be nice to be able to sleep in that late on a departure day.
:rolleyes1
:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Well, sure. Everyone knows that.
:rolleyes2
Yeah... :rolleyes1

Yep. Stretch it out. And while you're doing that, try to rationalize a way to stay longer.
Exactly!

I totally get that.
I said much the same in my last chapter.
::yes::

::yes:: Ditto. The gauge isn't going to move for quite a while.
And it's not like they're going to take a dipstick to the fuel tank.
That's the logic I was going with.

Me neither.
And now, for some education that I learned from a co-worker who learned it the hard way.
You know how when you pick up your car they try to upsell stuff?
And one of those things goes like this: "Would you like to add on fuel? If you do you don't have to worry about filling the car and our gas is cheaper than you'll find anywhere else."
DON'T DO IT!
What that really means is that they will charge you for a full tank of gas... regardless of how much is in the tank.
So the only way you'd save a few pennies is if you brought the car back and coasted in on fumes.
And who does that? You put gas in the car and.... gee, do I have enough to get to the rental? Better put in $5, 10, 20 bucks.
So you get there with a 1/4 tank... but you still pay for a full tank! If the car has an 18.5 gallon tank, you pay for 18.5 gallons of gas.... regardless of the amount left in the tank.
Yeah... I used to work for the USDA for about 4 years. I had a co-worker once tell me to always get that so you don't have to screw with filling the tank back up. Granted, this was on a US government credit card, so as he said, it really didn't matter, Uncle Sam was paying for it anyway.

I, personally, don't like waste so I didn't do that and would just fill up before I returned my rentals, but I do know I had several co-workers who did.

Which just goes to show that business travelers may just do it for convenience since it isn't "their money."

And it also explains a good chunk of the United States' huge debt.

Were they finished on that side? Or were they more rough?
Rough... the backside of mountains aren't as impressive as the backside of water.

::yes:: Had the exact same problem. Finally got the manual out... and couldn't find the info in there for a long time either!
Finally found the fuel release button... inside the map pocket of the door.
Possibly the stupidest possible place for it.
Well... there wasn't a manual in this car. And I think that's where I finally found the button.

DW was looking online and it was telling 5 or 6 different ways to do it. Apparently, the only feature they change on Chargers from one year to the next is how to open the fuel door. I know one of the things we found said to push on a certain corner to pop it loose and then pull.

Let's just say that door wasn't sitting quite as flush when I turned it in as it was before I got it... :rolleyes1

Good to go!

Fedex and Lufthansa!
Ok... next to them...

And yet... you probably breathed a little sigh of relief that the reservation was found.

Huh. Never heard of a TSA agent being nice before.
It is certainly a rarity.

What'd you think of it?
I know I read it... but don't even remember it.
I liked it. I've read all the books in that series and am a big fan... but this might have been one of the better ones.

I read somewhere that these kind of encounters are not as mathematically unlikely as most people think they are.
I know! It seems like wherever you go you always run into someone from close to home.

Nice of them to do that.
::yes:: I'm glad they could do something for her!

I know airlines have a cut off when they will no longer allow a pregnant woman on board.
Probably but I have no idea what it is.

Yup. YMMV.

Really! That surprises me.
I'm kind of factoring in price with it. And age of the room probably proved to be a factor as well. I just really liked our room at AoA. We had more space, it looked and felt new, especially compared to our GCH room. And AoA cost considerably less.

No kidding! "Hi will I be able to ______?"
CM (all together now!) "We don't know!"
And that played a huge role in why I was less than impressed with GCH.

:sad2:
Oh, just wait.
I've heard that before...

Awwww.
Wish I had that, but my first visit wasn't until I was a teen.
Still. Got some good memories from that.
You can always make more memories, too.

Still annoyed that they took that out.
It was so coo!
A "real" submarine voyage to the ocean depths!
It was a great ride. I miss it. But I do appreciate what has replaced it.

Now that's very interesting.
Never really thought of it that way.
It's the best way I can think of saying it. It was built in a different era, and you can clearly see it.

Very nice.
Great wrap up and great TR! Thanks, Andy! :)
Thanks for reading this crap!

Thanks for the fantastic trip report and the great wrap-up.
Thanks!

As someone in very similar circumstances to you- WDW vet, first family visit to DL, I totally agree with your observations and comparisons.
Seems to be the common feeling. You just don't get it until you do it though.

DL is familiar, but with a few quirks.

Rides at DL mostly better than their WDW counterparts, but the queues are not.

I didn't see F! or the fireworks show at DL, did see WoC, but I don't know if I can really give one the nod over the other. Aladdin IS the best Disney show I have seen. Just incredible!
I loved Aladdin!

I'm glad your return home was mostly anti-climatic, except for the little snafu at the airport check-in counter. We had something similar happen on our way to a family vacation to Mexico. My reservation was not coming up, but the rest of the family did. The person helping us was a parent and she said there was no way she was sending the family off without me, since I probably needed the vacation most of all!

Your poor seatmate! At least your kids were pretty well-behaved. Nothing like being miserably uncomfortable AND having a nightmare glimpse into your future.
Well, she did say that she already has 2 kids.

Looking forward to reading about your next adventures, wherever and whenever that may be.
Wish I knew...

And wishing you a successful growing and harvest season!
Thanks!

Great wrap-up Andy! Thank you so much for the report.

Ok, I’ll give them this. It did say somewhere in our information that the flight was operated by USAir. But I’ve flown flights (for example AA operated by American Eagle regional jets) where you check in at the counter of the airline through which you booked. And it only made sense to me that this is how this one would work since our ticketing material all said AA and AA owned USAir. But clearly, I was wrong.

I just had to laugh reading this, how you're fighting Murphy's Law. You can't win, you know.

Great! I know you were worried about the traffic so that's really great! :thumbsup2
Yeah, I'm glad we got out without any issues.

Was there a manual in the glove compartment? Why do they make it so difficult to put gas in the car?
No manual... and it really is ridiculous that they make them all so different.

I wasn't too amused by it.

Of course. :rolleyes2
Naturally! :headache:

That must have been a nice surprise.
It was definitely helpful.

Definitely not.
They took better care of us than the front desk staff at GCH. :rolleyes1

Wow! Small world.

Isn't it great when they are actually well behaved? :rotfl:
Well, I wouldn't say "well" behaved. But certainly better than our flights out to CA. Having just taken a trip to Tennessee last week, I'm not eager to fly or take any road trips in the immediate future with DD at this point.

I really enjoyed your comparison of the two parks. I don't really have a strong urge to see DL but if I ever find myself in CA I'll have to stop by and see it for myself. :goodvibes
Definitely! It is a great park to visit. I'm not sure I'd have made the trip if it weren't for the conference I had to attend. I'm so glad it worked out for us!

Great wrap up, Andy! You did a great job describing the differences of both theme parks, and I feel like I have a better understanding of how a WDW vet feels when visiting DL. Makes me wanna plan a trip to the west coast myself.
Thanks! It really is a fun park to explore. I hope you can manage to check it out sometime. Maybe Alex's travels will bring you near at some point in the future.

Wonderful wrap up! :thumbsup2I had quotes to comment on but I've lost them!:headache: But I did read it.
Thanks! I feel your pain. I hate it when that happens to me. :headache:

Seriously ... especially because you were aware of the possibility of trouble. It's like ... pull out, nothing wrong, no trouble ... that's it?
I'm really glad it went so smoothly, but our concern about it just didn't allow us to soak in those last few moments of Disney magic.

I will admit that I'm not an expert on car rentals, but ... I'm guessing that you probably would have been fine filling up almost anywhere between Disneyland and the airport ... seeing as how it's like 20 miles - if you filled up all the way, I can't imagine they'd charge you for driving 20 miles. But what do I know...
Well, if you read the fine print they most definitely can... but I was gambling on the fact that I've never had anyone actually ask for the receipt to verify where I bought the gas. Usually they require it to be purchased within so many miles of the drop off point.

That sounds ... strange. I've never seen Cars Land from that angle (we fly in and out of LAX and I'm generally not paying attention anyway), but I'd imagine it's a very different view ... not necessarily in a good way.
That's about right...

The gas cap ... something that should be simple, but never is.

:scared:

Ouch.
This may worse than my brother, who was on a Cathay Pacific flight booked through American and American found his ticket, but Cathay Pacific's online system couldn't find his ticket. At least he knew which airline to check in with at the airport! (Once he got to the airport he had no problem checking in, he just couldn't check in online for some reason and was freaked out because apparently Cathay Pacfic's US phone line isn't open on weekends except Saturday before 5, and this was after 5).
Oh geeze. That would be frustrating!

Yeah, codeshares & flights operating under subsidiaries are always way more complicated than they need to be.
::yes:: Part of why I hate flying.

Part of it may have been the luggage and kids. But part of it is just that they randomly assign people to precheck at security. I've never had precheck on my boarding pass and I've been through precheck 3 or 4 times. We get randomly sent there a lot ... I guess I don't look like a terrorist. It's usually random, but sometimes they'll do it just to take pity on someone with a lot of stuff and kids.
I assumed the kids are why we got picked out.

That is awesome!!

So ... I'm guessing Dallas is a big layover place for flights from your home airport ... that or it's a really funny coincidence.
Indianapolis doesn't have a direct flight to anywhere. DFW is a pretty big hub, but this is honestly the first time I've had a layover there.

I'm glad to hear they were better on the return flights than they were on the first set of flights. Would you consider flying with them again or were the flights to California just too much for you?
Right now, not really. They weren't great on the return flight, but they were much better than when we flew out.

We've had good CMs at both and not-quite-as-good CMs at both. There's definitely good and bad in both places.

I think it's hard to top AoA. I've never stayed on property in California (hopefully September 2016!), but I like AoA more than some fancier hotels I've visited.
I totally agree with this. Clearly.

Yay! We're finally not comparing things!

In my experience, I'd give it to DL ... because WoC is one of my favorite things in the world. Taking out WoC, I think I'd give it to WDW. So I definitely get what you're saying here.
Thanks. I'm glad that comparison didn't drive you crazy.

Yeah, I really need to make time to see these shows next time I'm at DL...

Sort of agree ... WDW has more total volume, but less that you can get to in one day ... it's probably much easier to do every attraction in DL than it is at WDW because they're so close together. So I think there's a lot more to do in one day, which makes a difference to someone like me who might not hop at WDW. But I'd definitely give it to DL on quality as well.
Good point.

Agree with this, but ... it's also the nature of the age of the park. Many things were built when today's daily visitors were about how many they expected in a year. Most of the newer stuff (but not all) is better. WDW was a chance to fix the mistakes they made at DL ... which includes the small and hot queues.
Another good point.

Part of that is what DL is supposed to be, but part of it is also what Walt Disney didn't like about DL. He hated that he had no room to expand, which is why WDW is as big as it is. It's nice that some things will never change ... but it's also hard for a park to keep bringing people in without changing. I think that a lot of things at DL will never change much and the overall feel of the park will stay the same ... but they do need to change things a little just to keep people from feeling that the park is dated - I think it's hard to find a balance where it feels timeless, not dated, and DL needs to keep finding that balance. Whereas WDW is just constantly refreshing because they don't want or need to feel timeless.
That said ... I still miss the old entrance to DCA (which was less than 10 years old when they changed it). But I'm weird.
That's a great assessment of how the 2 parks grow and adapt. And I thought the old DCA entrance looked cool. At least in the pictures I saw of it.

It's definitely a harder trip to make for most people. For me, the airfare alone is almost twice as much going to CA. But I think it's worth it, if you can, to try and save up for another trip there in a few years, when the kids are older and can remember more of it. One of the things I'm grateful for is that I've had the opportunity to do both several times. I think they're very different experiences and everyone should try to do both if at all possible. So I really hope you can find a way to make another trip out to the west coast!
They are definitely very different and worthwhile. I'd love to go back, but it really is so hard to justify the trip out west.

Thanks for sharing your trip with us - I really enjoyed reading about both parts and getting to see two of my favorite places in the world through your family's eyes. I hope you get to book your next trip soon!
Thanks for reading along!

Great wrap up, and I completely agree with this! I always look forward to my WDW trips, but I truly MISS Disneyland. It is something so special that just can't be recreated, no matter how great and expansive WDW is. Maybe it's because Walt walked there, I don't know. But there is definitely a different tone to time spent in DL vs. WDW.
You're absolutely right. WDW is "my" park, but the instant connection I felt with DL was unbelievable.

Thanks for sharing both trips with us!!
Thanks for reading!

What a great trip. I enjoyed your WDW trip. Your trip to DL brought back good old memories. Makes me think it is close to time to return. Its been 26 years. Sorry I wasn't able to keep up. Can't wait for your next trip!
I hope you can get back there soon. I had so much fun exploring DL.

Smart plan!
Every once in a while...

Well at least it was uneventful! I like to drag my feet in leaving too, but since there isn't a plane flight involved, it's easy to do!
Definitely. I think that's part of why I like to drive to WDW. It is always just so much more relaxed when the schedule isn't so rigid.

I'm used to this. I still find it odd that at WDW you drive through miles and miles of undeveloped land to get to the MK from non MK resorts. I know my California friends would never understand this.
See... that's where we're polar opposites! :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Of course, right?

At least they did better than the flight out to CA!
True. That's not necessarily saying much, but it is the truth.

I always feel like I'm stepping into an episode of the Twilight Zone when I enter the MK, it is so similar but oh so different!
Well said. You know, except from the opposite perspective for me. :rolleyes1

I wish you could have seen the new fireworks show. It's absolutely spectacular!
I wish I could have too. I felt so underwhelmed by the one we saw. Our local 4th of July celebration had more/bigger fireworks. :rotfl2:

With all the out of work aspiring actors in LA, Disney has quite a talent pool to draw from!
Good point. I never even thought about that, but it makes a lot of sense.

I would have to agree with you on these points.
:thumbsup2

It can get hot here anytime! I'm glad that I can make my trips in small bursts and not spend too much time standing around in lines in the hot sun. Locals tend to pick and choose depending on time of day, and whether or not it's sweltering as to which queues to wait it out in.
You'd really have to. Those lines just don't seem to offer much shade.

You do have to admit for the amount of land that they have, DL has really "packed it in".
Oh, they absolutely do. They have really made the most of what they have to work with. They really could learn a few things from what DL has done and apply them in Florida...

Well, aren't we all? Every year...

Perhaps why I like to keep going back over and over again.
::yes:: I really wish I could get there as often as you. I'm really enjoying these 60th celebration updates you keep posting!

I really hope that you do get a chance to go back, maybe when the kids are older, or even just you and your wife. There is so much to the Adult Disneyland that many families never get to experience because they are so busy running around getting kids on rides. Plenty of places to kick back and enjoy an adult beverage and a great meals in addition to all the rides.
Oh, I'd really love to do that sometime. Heck, if I could have just had one drink when I went to Trader Sam's this last time, I'd have been thrilled. :faint:

Thanks for the great trip report and wrap up!
Thanks for following along!

that must be a bit of a buzz kill to be walking to your car that early to leave ... in the middle of all the people arriving for the Star Wars race who were all probably in high spirits at that point (not to mention the added stress of not knowing 100% how it would be to leave and get out of the lot).
I don't have a problem with leaving, really. I mean you know it is inevitable but I just always like to soak in those last few moments. In this case, I just wasn't feeling it. Under normal circumstances, I'd probably enjoy checking out the costumes and probably try to check out some of the prerace atmosphere. But this time, it was just background noise as we were trying to get out of there.

For you, I am happy to hear everything was smooth and was anticlimactic .... as a reader I was hoping for more drama :rotfl:
Thanks... and I'm sorry to disappoint.

Figuring out how to open the gas tank is definitely not something I spend enough time on with rental cars - until it is time to refill it. Also sometimes I don't figure out how to work the headlights it if is some different way until they are needed :scared:
Good point. Why do they all have to try to re-invent the wheel, so to say?

That does seem odd that the AA ticket agent wasn't able to help your US Air flight .... I can kinda understand a kiosk not being able to adapt but not a worker at a counter
Yeah, it was really frustrating. But whatever... That's why I don't like to fly.

That's cool the kids got stickers at the security checkpoint .... really, stuff like that is so simple and cheap but helps make the process much easier for everyone involved
Oh, it absolutely does make a big difference.

Did you enjoy Inferno? I liked it a lot more than the Lost Symbol - probably almost as much as the first two. Don't want to say too much if you haven't read it (or for others that don't want to be spoiled) but I liked how it made you think and was a bit of "shades of gray" to the plot.
I really liked it. I couldn't put it down. I didn't really see it being like that, but I will say I was really surprised by the way it all ended...

Thanks for doing the Wrap Up - I always find those easier.
Thanks

Always strikes me how often I read similar thoughts to you - that you can't compare WDW to DLR and they are both great in their own way and you just have to experience both and take them as two different things. Like comparing cake and pie .... both are great but you can't really definitely say one is better or worse than the other in every aspect
Cake and pie... that's really a great way of saying it.

Thanks again for writing up the report - greatly enjoyed it!

So I fell way behind; my life is just crazy busy these days. But I am now caught up, and sad to see the trip is over.
I know what you mean about crazy busy. I can't even catch up around here.

I really enjoyed following your family through WDW and then all the way out west to DL for the very first (but hopefully not the last) time.
I hope it isn't the last as well. Thanks for reading along!

DL was always something I'd thought I might do, but after reading your report I feel like I just have to go! The connection you felt to The Man Himself sounds fantastic and I'd like to try and find that myself. Don't get me wrong, I'm with you that WDW will always be number one for me, but DL is a must now!
It really is! I hope you can get there soon. It will never replace WDW as the park that I really connect with on a personal level, but DL definitely has a pull for me that is different and in some ways stronger.

Hope to see you on the boards, maybe even with a PTR real soon!
Oh, I'll definitely be around. I'm hoping for a PTR soon... if some things fall into place there might be a big, huge ginormous trip next summer.

Great wrap-up Andy! Thank you so much for the report.

I just had to laugh reading this, how you're fighting Murphy's Law. You can't win, you know.
Who is Murphy anyway. I hate that sumbi... I hate that guy.

Which just goes to show that business travelers may just do it for convenience since it isn't "their money."

And it also explains a good chunk of the United States' huge debt.

:laughing:

Rough... the backside of mountains aren't as impressive as the backside of water.

Usually, backsides around water are nicer to look at.

Apparently, the only feature they change on Chargers from one year to the next is how to open the fuel door.

That makes sense.... if you're trying to win a most stupid innovention award.

I know one of the things we found said to push on a certain corner to pop it loose and then pull.

Let's just say that door wasn't sitting quite as flush when I turned it in as it was before I got it... :rolleyes1

:rolleyes:

You can always make more memories, too.

Yep! :)

It was a great ride. I miss it. But I do appreciate what has replaced it.

Hope to try that ride next month. Still haven't seen it since it was down for refurb last time.

Thanks for reading this crap!

:laughing: You're welcome!

I'm so glad your exit from DL was uneventful, as was the flight home. Well, all expect for having to schlepp from one end of the airport to the other.

I really enjoyed your comparisons between DL and WDW. I have often heard that the costumer service is better at WDW, but the originality of DL and the attractions are so top notch.

Thanks for such an awesome TR.

So what's next on the horizon?

I'm so glad your exit from DL was uneventful, as was the flight home. Well, all expect for having to schlepp from one end of the airport to the other.
Yeah, it wasn't too bad. I'm glad we got out easily, but the airport difficulties were frustrating.

I really enjoyed your comparisons between DL and WDW. I have often heard that the costumer service is better at WDW, but the originality of DL and the attractions are so top notch.
Thanks! See, I'd heard that the CM's were supposed to be better at DL, but that wasn't necessarily our experience.

Thanks for such an awesome TR.
Thanks for reading!

So what's next on the horizon?
Blah... I don't know.

We were in the preliminary stages of planning a fairly large trip next summer with my SiL and her family. But they want to go early June and that just doesn't work for me. The only way I'll ever be able to go early June would be if we have all the crops in the ground and everything done... it would literally have to be a last second "let's go to Disney World" type thing.

Right now, I'd say our summer trip is off or potentially in flux. We might look at going late July with just our family. Or maybe push it off a year or so.

I do have a conference to attend in Orlando in January. I wasn't planning to do Disney World. DS won't be with us. I don't even know if DW is going to go with me. If I go solo, I'd be very tempted to sneak off for a solo day in the parks, but for $100... I just don't know. I'll probably be more likely to just visit Universal since there's not much there the kids can do at this age anyway and they've really added a lot since I was last there in 2012. I might visit the Boardwalk or grab an ADR at a resort somewhere while in Orlando just to get an evening on property.

Sorry to ramble, but to answer your question, no plans right now, just dreams.

Your wrap up was stunning. Thank you for your well thought out comparisons and intentional non-comparisons too. As you say, the parks are similar yet oh so different. Thank you for the time you poured into all the photos, processing, writing, responding, etc... Keeping a TR/PTR going takes a bit of work and you did it beautifully. Hope your summer is going well, and I know I'll see you as we cross paths on my thread and the many others we jointly follow. :)

Your wrap up was stunning.
Wow... strong praise. Thank you!

Thank you for your well thought out comparisons and intentional non-comparisons too. As you say, the parks are similar yet oh so different.
They really are. You just don't quite get it until you see it.

Thank you for the time you poured into all the photos, processing, writing, responding, etc... Keeping a TR/PTR going takes a bit of work and you did it beautifully.
Thanks... I tried. Until I got distracted, which was often!

Hope your summer is going well, and I know I'll see you as we cross paths on my thread and the many others we jointly follow. :)
It's been a good but very, very busy summer! I know we'll see each other around!

Haven't seen you in a while... hope everything's ok in your world, Andy! Peace out!
Thanks! I haven't been feeling very well for the past couple of weeks and just haven't felt like getting online. Trying to work through and get caught up.

Hey Andy,

Hope it's something that can be fixed, healed or worked through quickly. We miss you. Take care of yourself! If it's something more.... we're here to listen to rants.

Hope you're feeling better, buddy.
I am. Thanks.

Hey Andy,

Hope it's something that can be fixed, healed or worked through quickly. We miss you. Take care of yourself! If it's something more.... we're here to listen to rants.
Well... let's just say that I had about 2 weeks of visiting the bathroom about an hour after I ate. And I mean even just a piece of toast. I lost about 20 pounds and was just too physically exhausted for a while there to want to do more than sleep.

They thought I had a gall bladder issue and did some tests and an ultra sound. Never found anything but things started improving Monday and right now I feel great. Starting to get my energy back and feeling good. Still don't know what the cause was but I have a follow up next Friday with my Dr.

Well... let's just say that I had about 2 weeks of visiting the bathroom about an hour after I ate. And I mean even just a piece of toast. I lost about 20 pounds and was just too physically exhausted for a while there to want to do more than sleep.

They thought I had a gall bladder issue and did some tests and an ultra sound. Never found anything but things started improving Monday and right now I feel great. Starting to get my energy back and feeling good. Still don't know what the cause was but I have a follow up next Friday with my Dr.

Well that sounds delightful. Really.

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter