Some sad news about DIS'er, Suzy Mouse's, family

Dan Murphy

We are family.
Suzy (her real name too), has been around the DIS for many years, one of the 'old timers', though not real active, more a 'lurker' than a poster. On an off over the years, every so often, we trade an email or PM back and forth, a 'hi, how you doing' type.

A couple days ago, Suzy sent me a PM, telling me she wanted to pass on some news. And it was quite sad news to say the least. Many of us may recall a few days back when the news came over the wires of the tourist bus crash in Chile which killed 12 tourists and injured 4 others. Well, one of those killed was Suzy's mom, Carole, and one of those injured, her dad, Harold. :( How very sad, for Suzy and her family, and all the other affected families of this terrible crash.

Suzy also asked if I could put a few words together like this, to share her grief, here on the Community board, as well as the W.I.S.H. and Cruise boards, as those are the boards she frequents most here on the DIS.

Here is a current article, a few days old, from one of their local papers.......

(if link does not work for you)
Friday, March 24, 2006
BY CHANDRA M. HAYSLETT
Star-Ledger Staff

Harold Ruchelman was the love Carole Ruchelman's life.

But she always had a thing for Mickey Mouse.

Several times each year, the retired couple would travel from their home in Monroe to Disney World to see Carole Ruchelman's favorite mouse up close. At home, she packed a room full of memorabilia to tide her over until her next visit.

"She had a room that was filled with nothing but Mickey Mouse stuff," said neighbor Pat Glockner.

On Wednesday, Carole Ruchelman, 64, was among the 12 passengers killed in a tour bus accident in Chile. Harold Ruchelman, 68, was one of the crash's four survivors.

At the Monroe retirement community where the couple lived for the past 6 years, neighbors remembered the Ruchelman's as a friendly couple that always left their garage door open to chat with neighbors.

"We would always know they were gone because that's when the garage door was closed," Glockner said.

Harold, a former electrical engineer for Consolidated Edison, is an avid gardener who makes toys for children every holiday season. Carole, preferred to spend her time in the community pool, where swam laps every morning and took a water aerobics class.

"They were just delightful people, wonderful to have as neighbors," said Bob Susko. "They were always pleasant to be around."

Originally from the Parlin section of Sayreville, the couple moved to the Ponds at Clearbrook in 1999.

Grace Mitgang, who works in the office of the Jewish Congregation of Concordia at Monroe, where the Ruchelman's were members, said "it was a pleasure" to know Carole Ruchelman.

"She was a very nice person, always giving. Just a wonderful person to know," she said.
Suzy also asked if I could pick a few pictures from her dad's travel website which she had sent me a link to some time back, so as to share her mom and dad and family with us all. Carole and Harold loved to travel, all over the world, as well as to the World. I think these few pictures here, from a Disney cruise, one of their trips to WDW, a trip to China, as well as many not here, trips to Australia, Italy, South America, the Grand Canyon and the West, Canada, and elsewhere, shows a vibrancy, a love of life, of each other. We can all hope we are as such in our retirement years. God speed, Carole, God bless your dad, Suzy, you and all your family.

Suzy1.jpg

Suzy2.jpg

Suzy3.jpg

Suzy4.jpg

Suzy5a.jpg

Here are Carole and Harold, along with Suzy and her hubby, upper left, her sister and hubby, upper right, and the grandkids, at a family gathering late last year. Suzy's children are on the far left, striped shirt, and far right, denim outfit

SuzyFamily2005.jpg

Suzy, again, my condolences on a very sad occurrence that ended such a fun trip for your folks and others. You mom and dad were blessed with each other, with a wonderful family and a wonderful life. My best and prayers for all of you. :hug:

Dan

I'm so sorry to read this. Suzy, please accept my condolences and thoughts for your family.

What a beautiful couple and family. I am so sorry for your loss. I will keep you and yours in my thoughts and prayers.

Suzy and her family will be in my thoughts & prayers.

It was tragic when I first read the news of the accident. Now that we know it's touched one of ours so very deeply it just really sends it to the deepest part of my heart. The saddness...

There just aren't words to convey the emotion, Suzy, but please accept my prayers for healing

My thoughts and prayers go out to you as well, we had several of the others who died from our area, it was such a tragic thing to happen. :grouphug:

The family will be in our thoughts. We live very close to Monroe, and I grew up in Sayreville.

Please accept our heartfelt condolences. My husband worked at Con Edison with Suzy's father. He recognized his name in the newspaper when we read about this tragedy, but we didn't know where to send our sympathies to him and his family for the tragic loss of Carole. It shows what a small world this is that Harold's daughter also posts on these boards. Again, please accept our deepest sympathies. Your family will be in our prayers.

Suzy - so very sorry to hear that your parents were involved in this tragic accident. My prayers go out to you and your family.

Suzy, I am sorry for you loss. My prayers and thoughts are with you in this difficult time. God bless

I too was deeply saddened to hear of the bus crash. For those of us that love to travel, it really hit home. Please accept our families deepest sympathies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter