Some questions about purchase...

Discussion in 'Purchasing DVC' started by BensWife, Jul 24, 2013.

1. CarolMN

CarolMN DVC Co-Moderator Moderator

Color is nice, but yellow is very difficult to read. :)

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Official Ticket Center is Orlando’s #1 discount attraction ticket agency, selling millions of Walt Disney tickets around the world.

to hide this adverts.
  3. juncker

juncker Mickey Mouse for President

I think that the most significant thing that many DVC purchasers wish they had known before they purchased is about the resale market. I know that there are a lot of people on these boards (myself included) that feel that resale is usually the better way to go, but there have been many posts from people that bought direct that didn't even know about the resale market. Disney doesn't want you to know about that. Disboards is the best place to learn the real story.

I'm not saying that buying resale is the best case for everyone. Some people do want to be able to exchange for cruises or other destinations where resale points won't work, or need the financing, but most people who are educated on the topic agree that isn't the best value for your points. If you are looking at a 200 point contract, but could get it $40 per point cheaper as a resale, that's a difference of $8,000. You could take a number of cruises in addtion to your points for that kind of money.

My recommendation would be to take your time. Explore the boards for questions that others have already asked. Understand the limitations of a resale purchase vs. direct. Once you understand it fully, you'll make the right decision for your situation.

Other than understanding the resale situation, the 2nd most important thing would be understanding and selecting the right home resort. If VGC is a priority for you, that should be a no-brainer. That is probably the hardest property to reserve at 7 months so you need the 11 month home advantage.

Best of Luck!

4. jockotaco

jockotaco Mouseketeer

We own at VGC. Great property and even better DVC rooms. Your home resort is very important especially for the smaller resorts like VGC. If you are buying to use mainly at VGC buy that as your home resort. You can buy, borrow or bank points. We made an initial purchase of 125 points to see if we really liked DVC and used the borrowing and banking for our reservations. We are looking to add on. The one downfall to DVC is a disease called addonitis!!! The biggest mistake we made was not putting my wife on the original note. The problem this created is she is not viewed as a DVC member and does not have her own card. This has an impact on discounts while traveling. You can get it changed but its a pain in the tush.

5. hjgaus

hjgaus DIS Veteran

Is this color better for reading? :flower3:

6. hjgaus

hjgaus DIS Veteran

My advice is not coming from "I wish I would have known of resale...." But more so BECAUSE our 1st time with DVC WAS resale. Our BCV points of 450 split between 2 contracts was purchased resale in 2008. Our VGC points of 160 was purchased DIRECT from Disney in 2009 while it was being built. We have been splitting our vacation times about 2 years between resorts so far & very much enjoying it!! NO REGRETS purchasing either BUT if things were to change I would rather give up BCV then ADD ON to VGC BECAUSE will LIVE NEAR DLR!!