Some pics from our Aug WDW trip, comments welcome

tyedye

DIS Veteran
Will try to post just one picture at first to see how the size is and if I'm doing it right.
P1140534.jpg

This one was taken while waiting outside the Crystal Palace.

That one was kinda big, here is another one without any zoom and a bit smaller.

P1140539.jpg

Those are beautiful pictures! Could I ask what camera you are using?

Thanks for the comments. The camera is a Panasonic Lumix FZ20 which is very similar to the Canon SxIS series. It has a 12x optical zoom which I used alot of zoom on the 1st pic that I posted. It's not a new camera as I've had it almost 3 yrs now which is why I want to learn more about it's features since basically I use it as a point and shoot.

I think I could have benefitted from knowing more so I wouldn't have pictures as bright as this one.

P1140356.jpg

Those are beautiful pictures! Could I ask what camera you are using?

According to his EXIF data, it's a Panasonic DMC-FZ20.

tyedye said:
I think I could have benefitted from knowing more so I wouldn't have pictures as bright as this one.

Your FZ20 probably has "exposure locking" just like my S3 (all of the 'bridge' cameras and the DSLRs seem to have this feature), and this is the perfect opportunity for that feature.

For a scene that's so bright, you'd want to meter off the brighter areas (like the sky) with a half-press of the shutter button and get the faster shutter/smaller aperture (depending on what mode you're in) setting appropriate for the brightness, then 'lock' the exposure on those settings and recompose the shot and take it. The highlights won't be blown out, and the whole scene will be darker and better color-saturated.

You just have to be careful that if there's TOO much contrast that metering off the bright areas doesn't leave you with totally black shadows (the opposite of a blown highlight, but I can't remember the term for it).

You could also switch to Manual and mimic the settings you'd gotten with the half-press, and then adjust up or down from there....

When I bought the FZ20, Canon only had the S1 out which was 3.2 mp and I was upgrading from a 3 mp Olympus 3x optical zoom. I liked Canon because you used AA batteries but wanted more than the 3 mp. So when Panasonic came out with the FZ20 with 5 mp in July 04, I waited patiently for the reviews and bought one in Sept 04.

Canon S2 IS came out 4/05, S3 IS in Feb 06, and now currently has the S5.

Panasonic is or has just released an 18x optical zoom, 8 mp but there still isn't a full review for it. I'm considering upgrading to get more zoom and am trying to decide between the ultrazoom or dSLR? I like having the zoom and other features built in to the camera vs changing lenses and carrying more stuff.

Thanks for the comments.

Here are a few more... wish I had zoomed in some on the 2nd one but I suppose I could crop the image. Again these are straight out of the camera and auto setting.
P1140354.jpg

P1140533.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!