Some impressions to share about our third stay at Pop...

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by JerseyJanice, Sep 5, 2010.

1. JerseyJanice

JerseyJanice RIP, Max!

We stayed at Pop Century 7 nights, 8/20 to 8/27. "We" are myself, my husband, our 14 year-old son, and his 13 year-old cousin. A life-long friend of mine joined us with her husband and their 17 year-old son. We were on the Free Dining plan. My younger, single brother also joined us for the first 2 nights of the trip and then again for the last day.

I linked our reservation to my friend's and requested to be in Building 6, 4th floor, facing the lake. We were placed exactly where I requested in adjoining rooms. :) This made it the third year in a row that Pop placed us where we asked to be.

Our rooms were brand new, and we loved them. The new carpeting is really nice and the privacy curtain was a boon for my friend and me since we were both in rooms with lots of males. The flat panel TV was larger than I expected, and while the drawers are smaller now, we had no problem managing our stuff with them.

The food court was great as always, and they did change a few menu items. The reuben flatbread is now available only when it's a daily special. The beef-and-bleu sandwich we enjoyed at POR in 2008 is now on the menu at Pop. The best thing they added is an apple blossom sundae. :cloud9: It's the apple crisp recipe served at Columbia Harbor House topped with ice cream (plus whipped cream and a cherry if you ask ;) ).

I bought one of the Mickey beach towels that you need to spend $25 to be able to purchase for $10.95. It washes nicely and now I wish I got a second one. It's a very nice towel and the way my son misplaces them, I could use an extra. They are also offering a luggage set purchase-with-purchase. It's red and has a small pilot case and cosmetic case. If my son were in the 3 to 6 age range, I would have bought it, but it's too small to be of use for us now.

The gift shop is selling a T-shirt with Mickey and "Walt Disney World" on it for $15 in many different colors. I got a lime green one and am quite impressed with the thickness and softness of the cotton fabric for the price. You could do most of your souvenir shopping in Everything Pop since they have a great selection.

Housekeeping was O.K., but not great like it was on our previous trips. For some reason, we got a bunch of towel animals, but our friends got none. We had fun busting them about that. :laughing: The shower curtain liner in our bathroom was torn and the toilet seat joints weren't properly sealed since the epoxy was showing. We had to ask every day for extra towels.

My friend and I LOVED the mango mojitos at Petals. We did encounter one jerk of a bartender one night. DH asked him for a Bud Lite with Lime and the guy gave him a regular Bud Lite with a slice of lime. DH didn't complain and just drank it. Later on, we had a hard time getting his attention while he was watching TV. However, there is a lady named Dee who works there who is a doll and gave us great service this year and last.

We found that if you talk on the bridge, the lake turtles and big fish hear you and swim up to where you are standing. I guess people are feeding them so when they hear human voices, they come looking for a snack. The turtles are really cool! They are quite large and kids love to see them.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay and think Pop is the best WDW resort for us. It has everything we require in a Disney resort and for an excellent price. :)

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. JerseyJanice

JerseyJanice RIP, Max!

Forgot to mention that the beds in our rooms were very comfortable. Mattresses are firm, but with cushy pads. They were so nice that DH and I didn't miss having a queen size too much. :)

4. Kay1

Kay1 <font color=red>Check out Ricki's hidden Mickey!<b

I've been avoiding POP but your comments on the new rooms has me thinking I should give the place another try. Thanks for the detailed review.

:)

5. BYC

BYC DIS Veteran

Thanks for the review! We are staying at POP Nov.28-Dec.5, and I am pleased to hear good things!:cool1::yay:

6. Nurse_Mommy4

Nurse_Mommy4 DIS Veteran

Great review, I like the details.:thumbsup2 Can you tell me how the bus service was, we are considering a fall trip for next year at POP. :goodvibes

7. trekker93

trekker93 DIS Veteran

The weather okay? I'm seeing on the weather channel now that it will be rainy down there this week. We are going next week for 2 weeks and I'm hoping for nice weather.:surfweb::cool1::thumbsup2

8. summerrluvv

summerrluvv <font color=darkorchid>Work Hard. Have Fun.<br><f

We just got back yesterday from a 10 night stay and it was great. The only time we really waited was to get to Typhoon Lagoon one morning. We did not stay until park closing though, so not sure how that was. We only had to stand on one bus....rough with a 3 year old, but didn't want to wait for the next one.

We didn't walk to the bridge, now I know for next time so we can see the turtles!

9. Mainers4

Mainers4 Earning My Ears

We will be at the POP, November 30-Dec 6th, can't wait!

10. rock_doctor

rock_doctor DIS Veteran

We have stay at Pop several dozen times over the years and i never knew this... Are you sure they were turtles and not alligators wearing fake turtle shells??? You see a turtle you feed it, you see an alligator you run... :) I am looking forward to Disney starting the Animation section of Pop (although it will not actually be part of Pop). It will be nice not seeing the derelict buildings just sitting there. Thanks for your post. We now own at BLT but do like Pop and plan to always stay a couple days there each time we go to DW. Except for management issues it is a great resort and very easy to feel at home there.

11. cm8

cm8 <font color=blue>Half of the time we're rushing ar

:cheer2: Those are the dates that my family will be there. Maybe we will all see each other in the parks!! Do any of you all plan on doing the VMCPP?

12. Marblies

Marblies DIS Veteran

QUOTE: Are you sure they were turtles and not alligators wearing fake turtle shells???:rotfl::rotfl2::rotfl:

Thanks for the update on Pop! We will be staying there for the first time, because of all the great things I have read on the DIS. We always go value, (that's our budget), but thanks to all the disney magic :wizard: we always have great stays. Since we got such a great price on plane tickets and FD, I considered spending our first night at AKL at 25% off, but your review was the sign I needed to make Pop our home for the whole stay. We can always drop by AKL for a quick visit to see the animals and Christmas decor and keep the upgrade cost for magic elsewhere.

13. KELLY

KELLY DIS Veteran

Thanks for the review. Can't wait to return to pop in a little over 2 weeks. Dh loved the Ruben. I went for the Medditeran flat bread.

14. lustergirl

lustergirl DIS Veteran

glad you had a great stay at POP!!!

15. JerseyJanice

JerseyJanice RIP, Max!

:lmao: These were definitely turtles, and there are a lot of them. Some are huge! Bigger than the largest pasta platter I own. One day we were standing in the middle of the bridge and saw a big ripple moving through the water. We stayed to watch and see if it was a gator, but it was just an extra large turtle. :laughing: My friend bought a bag of kettle corn from the food court to feed them, and DS and my nephew fed them the grapes you get as a dessert.

Pop has been excellent for us! I hope you have the same luck we've had there. :tink: If I were you, I would plan to have a meal at the AKL to see it and use the savings on souvenirs.

16. MErnst

MErnst Mouseketeer

Thanks for the review of Pop. We will be there in 32 days and it's our first stay at Pop. DS7 is really excited! How were the buses to the parks? How quickly did you get to the resort from MCO? We too are from Jersey and flying out of PHL at 7am...should be landing around 9ish and I am hoping to be in MK with DS7 by 11am. Wondering if Pop was a first stop on ME or one of the last?

17. shinysparklybubbles

shinysparklybubbles DIS Veteran

Was there a ledge in your window? I am trying to plan out my decorations and wondered if there is a ledge that I can sit stuff on?

18. kellydizfan

kellydizfan DIS Veteran

We have a trip planned for next August at the POP for the free dining. We can't wait - not sure if the kids know about it or not. My daughters stayed overnight one night with my Mom and Aunt so they love the pools. It will be the first time for my DS and myself. I love the food court. So much to choose from.

19. summerrluvv

summerrluvv <font color=darkorchid>Work Hard. Have Fun.<br><f

Sure is!

20. lynn46356

lynn46356 DIS Veteran

Great to hear you had a wonderful time! We are staying at Pop this December for the 4th time (we love it too). Did you fax in your room request prior to arriving or just have a request on your reservation? This will be the first "family" (DH, DS22, DS21, DS12 and me) trip since 2001 and I'm so excited!!!!!!! Welcome Home!

21. leebee

leebee DIS Veteran

We were at POP August 17-26 this year. I requested an upper floor, fireworks view room with a medical fridge and did online checkin. A bit of a glitch upon arrival- they sent us to room 2240 and the keys didn't work. That's because we were really in room 2440... fourth floor, not really fireworks view, no fridge, and the bathroom exhaust fan didn't work. Neither of these rooms had been refurbed. We were headed out for supper and Fantasmic, so we mentioned both the fan and the fridge, and both were what was asked for when we returned from the 10:30 Fantasmic that night.

We enjoy staying at POP, but next time I will request 60's, I think. We were in one of the farthest rooms from the bus stop, and that was a little tiresome. We picked up a rainbow of mickey head paint chips at HOme Depot before going to WDW and hung them on our curtains and lined them up on our window sill. Only 2 towel animals in 9 nights, but always, always plenty of towels, and the beds were made perfectly each day (I have to sleep with the sheet and blanket completely untucked because of a toe issue, so I know remaking the bed each day is a chore). We found the beds harder than we like, and the pillows are stuffed into narrow pillowcases, so they LOOK puffy but actually put your head at a pretty odd angle. We took the pillows out of the cases each night and wrapped them in bath towels (so our heads weren't on the pillows directly); otherwise neither of us slept much.

I wish POP had better bus service. They just never seemed to send enough busses to deal with the large crowds in the morning and at park closing. It's not acceptable to have to stand 45 mins in line for a bus at park closing- and there were two separate loading areas for POP. There has to be a better system.

We ate at the food court a couple of times. The beef and bleu sandwich is terrific, as is the turkey ciabatta, which DD couldn't finish. THe fried chicken "mom's night out" dinner was fine- hot chicken, homemade mashed potatoes, perfectly steamed green beans, and good cornbread. Breakfast was breakfast... what can you say about scrambled eggs, pancakes, french toast, etc? We also managed to consume several slices of the ever-popular tie-dyed cheesecake!

Everything POP is very well stocked; we did much of our souvenir shopping here, rather than buy the same things in the parks and lug them home. They also have an extensive section of health supplies, which was a good thing: I needed moleskin, medical tape, decongestant pills, dramamine... all at a reasonable price and all of which I'd brought from home but ran out.

This was our second trip to POP, and we'll be back unless we travel with DH (then we gotta have the queen bed or I won't get any sleep). I was pleased with the service, and how quickly they resolved our room issues at check-in. I also had an issue with Biergarten double-dipping my Disney VISA rewards for a tip; POP management quickly and easily posted a credit of equal value to my resort account. All in all a good trip... wish we were going back soon!