Some Dumb Questions from a Yank

rastahomie

Registered
Hey friends - I have some questions about what it's like traveling from the UK to WDW.

First of all, is the jet lag pretty bad? By my estimations, whatever time you land in Orlando, your bodies are on England time, which is four hours later. That would mean that it's still broad daylight in Orlando when your kids' bodies are approaching their bed times.

I'm also curious about the process of renting (hiring, as you call it) a car. Does it take you any time to get used to driving on the other side of the car and the road?

Have you experienced any culture shock from being in the US?

Hey friends - I have some questions about what it's like traveling from the UK to WDW.

First of all, is the jet lag pretty bad? By my estimations, whatever time you land in Orlando, your bodies are on England time, which is four hours later. That would mean that it's still broad daylight in Orlando when your kids' bodies are approaching their bed times.

I'm also curious about the process of renting (hiring, as you call it) a car. Does it take you any time to get used to driving on the other side of the car and the road?

Have you experienced any culture shock from being in the US?

Hi Aaron

Jet lag isn't to bad going east to west, cming home is worse.

The roads in the states are not as crowded as here so I find the driving easy, having said that DW isn't keen to try as she says she would struggle with exiting onto the correct lane on turns.

I'm too nervous to drive on the wrong side of the road. But DH prefers driving in the USA in a left hand drive hire car to driving on the right in Europe in our own car.

He feels that driving on the right in a car that is designed to be driven on the right is so much easier than driving on the right in a car that's designed to be driven on the left.

He also has more trouble adjusting back to our manual gear change once we're home again than getting used to the automatic hire car.

The biggest shock I had was on my first visit in 1989. Everything seemd so old fashioned and "Happy Days" when I was expecting hi-tech and sleek. Having "old fashioned" weights and measures just added to the feeling.

We find that we don't suffer from jet lag really when travelling to WDW, we notice that the first few days we might wake up at 5am, but we are up at 6am here anyway so no difference really. We do notice more when we fly to the South side of the USA though (California, Nevada etc.) As for driving we (DH and I) don't have a problem driving on the 'wrong' side of the road. We are used to this when driving in France. The only thing I have an issue with (DH does not!) is driving an automatic rather than a manual car. Nothing has been a culture shock, although I do have to remember to rephrase a few things e.g asking where the restroom is as opposed to the toilet. Also I do have to be more aware of what is expected in regards to tips, although I know that can be discussed at length on the more US dominated areas of the boards!

The first time we went I suffered really bad with jet lag and spent the first full day in bed, DH, DD & DS didn't :) as other have said the jet lag kicks in when we come home, but as we usually do an overnight flight we get back early and go straight to bed :)

I love driving in the US as does DH, the roads are quieter and everything seems to be more relaxed, last time we were used to driving an automatic as we had one of our own. I find it easier driving in the US than in Europe with our own car.

Hope we have helped :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter